Fire Emblem 7 Gameplay Reversion Hack

Gaggle of Geese

I recently watched a Lets Play of Hector Hard Mode where the player lamented that effective weapons suck in this game. I decided to see if anyone had made a patch to fix this and other gameplay changes made to the U.S. version of the game, and to my surprise, no one had! So I did it myself. This patch is meant to be applied to the U.S. version of the game.

I used febuilder and Event Assembler to make this hack. I'd also like to thank Venno, as I used his FE7 Effectiveness Rework assembly hack to change the effective weapon multipliers (found here). (If I need to seek permission to use it, please let me know and I'll take this down until I have obtained permission.)

This hack has only received minimal testing, but the alterations were mostly simple ones, so it should work alright. If you find any bugs or differences that haven't been corrected, though, please let me know.

UPDATE: I have just completed version 1.1 of this hack. The only change made was slightly altering the inventories of four enemies whose items were slightly different in the Japanese version. This will most likely be my last and only revision.

Version 1.1 is available here.

Here is a list of things that have been changed in this hack:

What Has Been Changed

• The "Gate" and "Throne" terrain types grant 30 Avoid instead of 20. (The "Castle Gate" terrain type still only grants 20 Avoid--it was like this in the Japanese version.)
  • The "Gate," "Castle Gate," and "Throne" terrain types grant 3 Defense instead of 2.
  • The effective damage multiplier was raised from 2 to 3 for Aureola and all non dragon-slaying weapons.
  • Bosses that had their stats reduced in the U.S. version of the game have had them restored to their Japanese stats.
  • In Chapter 27: Cog of Destiny, Lloyd and Linus each carry a Runesword rather than a Light Brand.
  • In the first part of Final Chapter: Light, two doors open at the start of the map, after which two doors open every two turns. (By contrast, the U.S. version starts with one door open, and one door opens each turn.)
  • The Fire Dragon's max stats have been increased (even though they don't hit those caps).
  • Some enemies have had their inventories tweaked to match the Japanese version. (There were only four of these.)

What Hasn't Been Changed:

• The "Blood Type" option is still absent from the Tactician creation screen. I'm not a good enough hacker to put it in, and since it only alters Affinity as far as I can tell, there is no significant gameplay change. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.
  • Lyn mode cannot be skipped, and the extended epilogue plays by default.
  • None of the text has been changed. This means translation errors and the glitchy text on the Wind Sword and Dragon Axe is still present.

Old versions:
Version 1.0

Edited by Gaggle of Geese

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I played this through to the end on Eliwood Hard and Nergal's door isn't opening after killing all enemies, causing the game to softlock. The status screen shows 9 enemies remaining even though none are alive, which is probably the issue. I can confirm that at least one other person has experienced this. (Reddit Post here) This patch is otherwise flawless, except for effective damage values being displayed under enemy Atk (in the status screen) when they're using bows. Hope you'll consider pushing a fix for this if you have the time.

• 2 months later...

@SirBlackMage, your post made me curious enough about the issue to poke around using FEBuilderGBA and compare this hack with an unmodified copy of the game, and I figured out what happened: Apparently in the process of reverting the changes to the final chapter the event that causes Nergal's door to open had been deleted by accident. I've made my own version of the patch that should fix it, or you can do it yourself by simply copying the event data starting at address 0xCBF930 from the vanilla US release (if you use FEBuilderGBA to do so be careful, I found that it was easy to accidentally delete the event after the one you're adding by mistake depending on how you do so).

I should note that I haven't actually playtested this yet to confirm the door opens now, but considering that FEBuilderGBA was warning me about an error when I opened it with the original version of the patch and that the error went away when I copied over the event data from the original game I feel fairly confident that it should be fixed.

FE7 Gameplay Reversion v1.2.ups

Edited by Hobusu
Added clarification that this hasn't been playtested yet.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I tried playing through with this version and was able to reach the end without any issues!  I also figured out a way to fix the issue with bows displaying effective damage on the status screen (The fix is simply changing the value at location 0x16824 in the ROM from 0x3C to 0x7C).  I'm uploading a new version with this fix added as well as the mode select being enabled from the start.

FE7 Gameplay Reversion v1.3.ups