Frederick, Horizon Watcher

Anacybele

Frederick, Horizon Watcher

Yep, I'm back with Freddy #2 now! How could I not? :P I'm not sure anyone else was going to anyway. Poor Freddy. But anyway. I haven't quite done as much research on this Freddy as I have his normal self, but I'm gonna do my best here since the handsome hunk has returned a couple times lately! Summer Frederick varies quite differently from his normal self in that he's been stripped of his horse, armor, and axe and given a seashell, classified as a dagger, for a weapon in return. He still has good Atk, especially for a dagger unit, as well as low Res, but he's lost a good chunk of his Def (makes sense, he's lost that bulky armor) and gained a good chunk of Spd (I always figured he was secretly pretty fast without armor anyway!). When he debuted, he was pretty much the best dagger wielder not named Kagero and could wield her weapon well if you didn't care for her. His Def still isn't that bad though, especially at +Def.

Even now though, what makes him special among all daggers is that he is the only one whose base kit allows him to debuff every stat. His seashell debuffs Def and Res while he also carries Seal Atk/Spd. With Ardent Sacrifice in his kit as well, he can make for a great support unit as well as a good combat unit, making him pretty versatile depending on what you need or what your preferences are. He also has a secret weapon, gorgeous abs of death! Beware!

He's a bit more reliant on IVs than his normal self though, due to having a whopping three superbanes and no superboons, so definitely hope you get a decent combination. However, he can still work well if one of his boons is Atk or Spd, even if the bane is a superbane. Just make sure he isn't facing mages too often. He's fine against everything else though.

Base Stats

HP: 26/30/33
Atk: 29/32/35
Spd: 29/31/34
Def: 24/28/31
Res: 14/18/21

Total: 148/149

Base Skills

Weapon: Seashell+
Assist: Ardent Sacrifice
Special: N/A

A: Armored Blow 3
B: Seal Atk/Spd 2
C: N/A

Pick a Shell and Pray! (Player Phase Build)

Spoiler

+Atk/+Spd, -Res/HP

Poison Dagger+/Barb Shuriken+/Seashell+ with Atk or Spd refine

Assist: Draw Back/Reposition
Special: Luna/Moonbow/Dragon Fang/Draconic Aura

A: Swift Sparrow/Darting Blow 3/Death Blow 3/Fury 3/Life and Death 3
B: Any Breaker/Seal Atk/Spd 2/Desperation 3
C: [Flexible]
Seal: Atk+3/Spd+3

These skills obviously turn this guy into a pretty good offensive unit who will be a terror to infantry if he has the poison dagger.

Poison Dagger+ - Freddy's base seashell is good, but Kagero's poison dagger would probably get him the most kills.

Draw Back: I prefer Draw Back over Repo for ranged units, but either one is fine.

Luna: I feel like Freddy gets the best damage output with his regular self's native Luna. If he's +Def instead of +Atk or +Spd though, he can also use Bonfire well.

A, B, and C skills: These are rather flexible for an offensive Summer Freddy since he can run several of these skills well. Though if you're running poison dagger, Death Blow is probably the most recommended.

Iron Abs (Enemy Phase Build)

Spoiler

+Def, -Res/HP

Seashell+ with Def refine

Assist: Draw Back/Reposition
Special: Bonfire/Ignis/Luna/Aether

A: Close Counter/Steady Stance 3
B: Quick Reposte 3/any breaker
C: [Flexible]
Seal: Distant Def 3/Def+3

Defensive Summer Freddy is a bit like his normal self, except with a little less Def.

Close Counter - CC is great on defensive ranged units, nuff said. Though the only way you're going to get CC or Steady Stance are through the rare Takumi or limited Black Knight, so you're probably better off looking for a +Atk or +Spd Summer Freddy.

Bonfire/Ignis - +Def lets this Freddy use these well.

Quick Reposte 3 - Freddy doesn't have the extra Spd from his Spd build, so he needs QR or a breaker to double things.

Freddy Bear (Support Build)

Spoiler

+Atk/+Spd/+Def, -Res/HP

Seashell+ with any refine

Assist: Ardent Sacrifice/Reciprocal Aid/any Rally
Special: Luna/Moonbow/Dragon Fang/Draconic Aura

A: [Flexible, any bond skill or other similar buffing A skill]
B: Renewal/Seal Atk/Spd 2
C: [Flexible, any debuff or buff skill]
Seal: [Flexible, any debuff or buff skill, but should be the opposite of what the C is. If C is debuff, make the seal a buffing skill]

Support Freddy is there to, well, support your allies! He can work as a pseudo healer with Renewal and his base Ardent Sacrifice or Reciprocal Aid, or buff and debuff with his base kit and/or rallies and stuff. Toldja this guy could be practically anything you want or need him to! Besides a Res tank or something like that, I suppose. lol

Lastly, I myself run a bit of a budget build since I've never really had access to many of the skills I list above. I'll just post a picture for reference. It's also more or less a mix between the offensive and support builds I listed above, which works well too.

Spoiler

mOMKwfb.png

If there's anything at all that I can add to this, please let me know. :)

EDIT: Updated my Frederick's build, though it is still kind of the same mix as stated above.

Edited by Anacybele

13 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Pick a Shell and Pray! (Player Phase Build)

You might want to separate Poison Dagger and Seashell builds since they serve slightly different purposes and are built a bit differently. If you are mixing them together, then I do not recommend bolding any natures or skills since that implies that nature or skill is always better when that is not the case. Different builds perform best with different natures and skills.

If YS!Frederick has Dancer/Singer support, Reposition is more valuable to keep him in front while keeping the Dancer/Singer in the back. Draw Back will put the Dancer/Singer in front and that gets in the way.

I do not recommend running high cooldown Specials like Luna on ranged units. They are super fragile and will not survive Enemy Phase units running Quick Riposte if they do not activate a Special and kill the enemy on their second hit. Ranged units have a stat disadvantage compared to melee units so having a Special activation in time to boost their damage output is crucial to help them kill bulkier units and avoid being killed themselves.

Breakers are generally unnecessary if the unit is fast enough, so I personally would not recommend a Breaker. I also do not recommend Seal Atk/Spd unless it is on a debuffing build; Player Phase units need all their skills to focus on killing.

Distant Def works on Enemy Phase, so I do not think it works well with a Player Phase build. Player Phase units are generally going to die if attacked on Enemy Phase, and giving him one Enemy Phase skill is not going to save him in my opinion.

Poison Dagger 1 (Arena Assault)
+Atk, -HP/Def/Res
Poison Dagger
Moonbow / Glimmer
Death Blow
Chill Def
Attack +3

This focuses on killing foes in one shot.

Poison Dagger 2 (Arena Assault)
+Spd, -HP/Def/Res
Poison Dagger
Moonbow / Glimmer
Swift Sparrow / Life and Death / Fury
Desperation / Windsweep / Watersweep
Speed +3 / Phantom Spd

This relies on Desperation/Windsweep for sustainability and doubling for damage output. Since most mages will probably die in one hit, I do not think you need Watersweep. If you want him to focus on dragons, then you will need Watersweep though.

Seashell (Arena?/Arena Assault)
+Spd, -HP/Def/Res
Seashell [Spd]
Moonbow
Atk/Spd Push / Swift Sparrow / Life and Death / Fury
Renewal / Desperation
Speed +3

Atk/Spd Push-Renewal compliments Seashell nicely and turns him into dagger version of Celica. I have not used Celica in regular Arena, so I am not actually sure if she is reliable enough to be used in that mode. She is good enough for at least in Arena Assault though.

Barb Shuriken (Arena)
+Spd, -HP/Def/Res
Barb Shuriken [Spd]
Moonbow
Desperation
Speed +3

This is your regular Player Phase build.

15 minutes ago, XRay said:

You might want to separate Poison Dagger and Seashell builds since they serve slightly different purposes and are built a bit differently. If you are mixing them together, then I do not recommend bolding any natures or skills since that implies that nature or skill is always better when that is not the case. Different builds perform best with different natures and skills.

If YS!Frederick has Dancer/Singer support, Reposition is more valuable to keep him in front while keeping the Dancer/Singer in the back. Draw Back will put the Dancer/Singer in front and that gets in the way.

I do not recommend running high cooldown Specials like Luna on ranged units. They are super fragile and will not survive Enemy Phase units running Quick Riposte if they do not activate a Special and kill the enemy on their second hit. Ranged units have a stat disadvantage compared to melee units so having a Special activation in time to boost their damage output is crucial to help them kill bulkier units and avoid being killed themselves.

Breakers are generally unnecessary if the unit is fast enough, so I personally would not recommend a Breaker. I also do not recommend Seal Atk/Spd unless it is on a debuffing build; Player Phase units need all their skills to focus on killing.

Distant Def works on Enemy Phase, so I do not think it works well with a Player Phase build. Player Phase units are generally going to die if attacked on Enemy Phase, and giving him one Enemy Phase skill is not going to save him in my opinion.

Poison Dagger 1 (Arena Assault)
+Atk, -HP/Def/Res
Poison Dagger
Moonbow / Glimmer
Death Blow
Chill Def
Attack +3

This focuses on killing foes in one shot.

Poison Dagger 2 (Arena Assault)
+Spd, -HP/Def/Res
Poison Dagger
Moonbow / Glimmer
Desperation / Windsweep / Watersweep
Speed +3 / Phantom Spd

This relies on Desperation/Windsweep for sustainability and doubling for damage output. Since most mages will probably die in one hit, I do not think you need Watersweep. If you want him to focus on dragons, then you will need Watersweep though.

Seashell (Arena?/Arena Assault)
+Spd, -HP/Def/Res
Seashell [Spd]
Moonbow
Atk/Spd Push / Swift Sparrow / Life and Death / Fury
Renewal / Desperation
Speed +3

Atk/Spd Push-Renewal compliments Seashell nicely and turns him into dagger version of Celica. I have not used Celica in regular Arena, so I am not actually sure if she is reliable enough to be used in that mode. She is good enough for at least in Arena Assault though.

Barb Shuriken (Arena)
+Spd, -HP/Def/Res
Barb Shuriken [Spd]
Moonbow
Desperation
Speed +3

This is your regular Player Phase build.

...Well gee, way to destroy my entire post. I said I would accept things to add to it, not for my entire post to just be taken apart and basically rendered obsolete like this. Take this elsewhere, please, and next time, maybe not try to butcher someone else's work like this.

I did consider Barb Shuriken for build possibilities though, but just wasn't sure about it. I will add that and Death Blow to the player phase spoiler.

Now, does anyone have suggestions I could ADD to the post?

Edited by Anacybele

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

...Well gee, way to destroy my entire post.

That was not my intention, and I only commented on the Player Phase build. I do not have enough experience for Enemy Phase builds so I generally avoid commenting on those.

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I said I would accept things to add to it, not for my entire post to just be taken apart and basically rendered obsolete like this. Take this elsewhere, please, and next time, maybe not try to butcher someone else's work like this.

This is the analysis section where other people may look to consult for builds. If I see something that seems out of place, I will comment on it.

1 minute ago, XRay said:

That was not my intention, and I only commented on the Player Phase build. I do not have enough experience for Enemy Phase builds so I generally avoid commenting on those.

Oh. For some reason, I was assuming you were referring to all builds. My mistake then.

Btw, I put Distant Def on the player phase build because there's always a possibility of counterattacks from other ranged units or units with DC. Perhaps it shouldn't be the most recommended seal for player phase though.

About breakers, if Summer Frederick isn't +Spd and doesn't have many merges, he's not going to double a lot of things. So he needs a breaker to at least double SOMETHING on player phase if he needs to.

4 minutes ago, XRay said:

This is the analysis section where other people may look to consult for builds. If I see something that seems out of place, I will comment on it.

That's fair. I just prefer that people not suggest to basically overhaul my whole post after I put work into it. I'd rather just keep adding to it or make small edits.

42 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Btw, I put Distant Def on the player phase build because there's always a possibility of counterattacks from other ranged units or units with DC. Perhaps it shouldn't be the most recommended seal for player phase though.

Distant Def does not work on counterattacks because it is an Enemy Phase only skill.

If you mean counterattacks as in being initiated on during Enemy Phase, Distant Def will sort of help in reducing a bit of damage, but he is most likely going to die anyways; his Res is not really salvageable and you generally want to avoid tanking archers, especially if they are buffed.

In my opinion, it is generally better for most units to have either all Player Phase skills or all Enemy Phase skills.

29 minutes ago, XRay said:

Distant Def does not work on counterattacks because it is an Enemy Phase only skill.

If you mean counterattacks as in being initiated on during Enemy Phase, Distant Def will sort of help in reducing a bit of damage, but he is most likely going to die anyways; his Res is not really salvageable and you generally want to avoid tanking archers, especially if they are buffed.

In my opinion, it is generally better for most units to have either all Player Phase skills or all Enemy Phase skills.

It only works on enemy phase? I thought it worked on both phases.

34 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

It only works on enemy phase? I thought it worked on both phases.

Yeah, the skill description says when enemy initiates combat.

"If foe initiates combat and uses bow, dagger, magic, or staff, grants Def/Res+2/4/6 during combat."

2 minutes ago, XRay said:

Yeah, the skill description says when enemy initiates combat.

"If foe initiates combat and uses bow, dagger, magic, or staff, grants Def/Res+2/4/6 during combat."

Hmm. I must've forgotten about that or something. Okay then.

Hi Ana. (:

Before I start looking into your builds, I need to clarify some things first. 

1. Steady Breath is only available for Infantry and Armor Melee units.

2. Frederick has a BST of 148 - 149, so lower the ATK by 10 for Bane/Neutral/Boon.

Onto the builds:

For your first build, besides the Poison Dagger+, I think Frederick could utilize his average Speed Stat into a speedy one-rounder. You could stack his Speed with Fury 3 / Swift Sparrow / Life and Death and Barb Shuriken+ with a Speed Refine. You could opt for Speed +3 when using Fury 3 to further his speed. With a +Speed boon and some merges, his speed could reach beyond 40, which is enough to double most enemy units in PVE. With Barb Shuriken, he wants Moonbow to ensure making quick damage on the enemy units with Desperation. Sometimes, it's the finishing blow.

On your second build, I think ATK/DEF Bond 3 works really well here or you could opt for Steady Stance 3. Since he has Quick Riposte, it's safe to reduce the Speed stat here, but only if a person who reviews this or perhaps you care about Arena. If not, reduce only Res, not HP, to mitigate chances of being doubled. Distant Defense is a solid choice for Enemy Phase build. As for C slot, you could go for support skills or debuff skills such as Speed Smoke or Attack Smoke. For his weapon, he would enjoy Smoke Dagger+ (C slot support) or Rogue Dagger+ (C slot debuff) with a DEF refine. 

Regarding your third build, Summer Frederick does not have good support potential like Kaze or Felicia. Mostly because he's unable to run Infantry Pulse reliably (if you were planning to use all infantry) and he does not have enough resistance to run Ploy skills. HOWEVER, with his above average attack (for a dagger unit at least), you could make enemy units squish by utilizing Swift Sparrow / Phantom Speed / Windsweep or Watersweep. Here, his desired weapon could be either Seashell+ or Smoke Dagger+ with a Speed refine. C Skill should be reserved for Support Skill such as Drive Atk 2 or Spur Attack 3. This allows maximum damage output by allies. He could run any assist skill. His teammates might want Harsh Command here. But don't take what I say to heart about potential. Team-building has so much flexibility with how you build your team. He could run double Tactics skill and you could call it a day.

Summer Frederick is the average dagger unit. He's almost like Jakob, but has more attack and less resistance. This limits his ability to tank units well, avoid doubles, or pull off support skills such as Panic Ploy / Infantry Pulse or Resistance-based ploy skills. I think the key to creating their best builds is to look at their stat line and see which one you can use to the unit's advantage. Overall, I like your builds because it builds upon the capability of dagger units. They have a lot of power to debuff. 

Edited by Aera

7 hours ago, Aera said:

Hi Ana. (:

Before I start looking into your builds, I need to clarify some things first. 

1. Steady Breath is only available for Infantry and Armor Melee units.

2. Frederick has a BST of 148 - 149, so lower the ATK by 10 for Bane/Neutral/Boon.

Onto the builds:

Hide contents

For your first build, besides the Poison Dagger+, I think Frederick could utilize his average Speed Stat into a speedy one-rounder. You could stack his Speed with Fury 3 / Swift Sparrow / Life and Death and Barb Shuriken+ with a Speed Refine. You could opt for Speed +3 when using Fury 3 to further his speed. With a +Speed boon and some merges, his speed could reach beyond 40, which is enough to double most enemy units in PVE. With Barb Shuriken, he wants Moonbow to ensure making quick damage on the enemy units with Desperation. Sometimes, it's the finishing blow.

On your second build, I think ATK/DEF Bond 3 works really well here or you could opt for Steady Stance 3. Since he has Quick Riposte, it's safe to reduce the Speed stat here, but only if a person who reviews this or perhaps you care about Arena. If not, reduce only Res, not HP, to mitigate chances of being doubled. Distant Defense is a solid choice for Enemy Phase build. As for C slot, you could go for support skills or debuff skills such as Speed Smoke or Attack Smoke. For his weapon, he would enjoy Smoke Dagger+ (C slot support) or Rogue Dagger+ (C slot debuff) with a DEF refine. 

Regarding your third build, Summer Frederick does not have good support potential like Kaze or Felicia. Mostly because he's unable to run Infantry Pulse reliably (if you were planning to use all infantry) and he does not have enough resistance to run Ploy skills. HOWEVER, with his above average attack (for a dagger unit at least), you could make enemy units squish by utilizing Swift Sparrow / Phantom Speed / Windsweep or Watersweep. Here, his desired weapon could be either Seashell+ or Smoke Dagger+ with a Speed refine. C Skill should be reserved for Support Skill such as Drive Atk 2 or Spur Attack 3. This allows maximum damage output by allies. He could run any assist skill. His teammates might want Harsh Command here. But don't take what I say to heart about potential. Team-building has so much flexibility with how you build your team. He could run double Tactics skill and you could call it a day.

Summer Frederick is the average dagger unit. He's almost like Jakob, but has more attack and less resistance. This limits his ability to tank units well, avoid doubles, or pull off support skills such as Panic Ploy / Infantry Pulse or Resistance-based ploy skills. I think the key to creating their best builds is to look at their stat line and see which one you can use to the unit's advantage. Overall, I like your builds because it builds upon the capability of dagger units. They have a lot of power to debuff. 

Um, this Frederick IS an infantry unit, so yes, he can use Steady Breath. And saying he can't be a good support unit is just false. His base kit comes with multiple support skills. Just because other units might be better support doesn't mean he isn't good here.

Second, I...already put in everything else you said?

Edited by Anacybele

@Anacybele What I think Aera meant about Steady Breath is that only Melee Infantry or armored units can use it. Meaning axe, Lance, sword, or dragonstone. And S!Fredrick is not one of these units

Edited by Poimagic

6 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Um, this Frederick IS an infantry unit, so yes, he can use Steady Breath.

He’s a ranged infantry unit, not a melee.

Edit:

6 hours ago, Anacybele said:

And saying he can't be a good support unit is just false. His base kit comes with multiple support skills. Just because other units might be better support doesn't mean he isn't good here.

Second, I...already put in everything else you said?

He does not have high Resistance like other dagger units like Kaze and Felicia to run Ploy skills, so he loses in that aspect. That's why I meant to say. I didn't mean to say that he does not have potential to be a support at all. He could have better support potential depending on how he is built beyond his base kit.

Also, I forgot to mention he could run Distant Def 3 as an A skill as a tank unit. 

I suggested multiple daggers, such as Smoke Dagger+ to free his B Slot (Seal Atk/Spd 2). It's a lot better anyways since it debuffs all stats by 6 on the target and enemy units within two spaces. 

Edited by Aera

Just checked, Steady Breath is restricted to Melee Infantry/Armored. Steady Stance though; Summer Freddy can access.

I don't remember the description saying that. But then again, this game has so many skills it's too hard to remember everything about each one.

It doesn't say so in the description, but almost every skill has icons on the bottom to show which types of units can't use that skill

3 hours ago, Lushen said:

Just to be clear - 

Summer Frederick cannot use Steady Breath.  Dagger units of any kind cannot inherit steady breath.

Yes, I was just told that, thank you. I get it now.