June's Legendary Hero Arrives! Hector: Marquess of Ostia (June 28 ~ July 5)

Coolmanio

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, I'm a Spheal said:

I got Myrrh and Brave Ike in the same circle so I'm with that. It's like it knows I want Winter Tharja a lot so instead it gives me a 4 star version and multiple 3 star versions of her vanilla counter part.

Funny, I got the same result, but with Legendary Ephraim and VIke. In fact, those where my first breaks in the banner yo ^^

Did three more pulls with the orbs from the Legendary Hero Battle and got Steady Breath. What do you mean that's not his name? I guess it's time to start working on female Corrin, then.

Still waiting for my paycheck before I actually spend something, but I'm certainly looking forward to getting my mountains of Myrrh and Steady Breath because the game hates giving me Legendary Heroes on their initial banner for whatever reason. Oh, and an even bigger mountain of Xanders, somehow.

6 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Did three more pulls with the orbs from the Legendary Hero Battle and got Steady Breath. What do you mean that's not his name? I guess it's time to start working on female Corrin, then.

Still waiting for my paycheck before I actually spend something, but I'm certainly looking forward to getting my mountains of Myrrh and Steady Breath because the game hates giving me Legendary Heroes on their initial banner for whatever reason. Oh, and an even bigger mountain of Xanders, somehow.

Clearly you get Xanders so often you get 5-star Xanders even if he's not featured as a seasonal unit for that banner. Or even in the normal summoning pool.

Edited by Sunwoo

37 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Clearly you get Xanders so often you get 5-star Xanders even if he's not featured as a seasonal unit for that banner. Or even in the normal summoning pool.

I have so many Xanders from him always sharing a color with characters I want that it is impossible to make all of them visible on one screen without using both the top and bottom halves of the Rival Domains team selection screen (or merging them).

Spoiler

Z2CBRBH.jpg

Edited by Ice Dragon

I have the strangest luck with this game. I got Legendary Hector (Lector? Legtor?) with only 20 or so orbs, but Azura has been evading me since the very beginning.

Man this game REALLY doesn't want me to have Hector! XD

I finally got a pitybreaker. There were no green orbs so I went with gray and got female Grima. After that, next session had two greens...got duplicates of Brave Ike and Myrrh.

Heroes is just teasing me now.

I literally burned 400 orbs for Hector and Ike only. Hector didn't have the decency to show up at all. Worst lord in the series. Ike decided to show up twice but I was only looking for V!Ike. At least I got another Ike. 

jees i finished my +10 Effie after getting Hector to +10. Boldfighter Galeforce Brave Lance Effie +Atk -SPD in a mixed Team is disgusting. Just throw her at things and she will tear them a new hole. Thx to Ostia pulse she usually clears 2 of the 4 foes. 

On 27/06/2018 at 1:49 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

I don't despise them at all, I would offer my pity and sympathy as I would to the loss of any good individuals (IRL and fictional alike), that was just a way of me saying the only one whom I have a personal bond with is Hector. Perhaps that came off as too cold and I chose my wording poorly, I can see how it would now that you point it out. 

Did you ever find it strange that the only FE lord you truly like is a brawn over brains type since you prefer the more intelligent characters such as Sephiran and Soren? 

Finished pulling from this banner. I'm still sad that Tharja was on the banner with two reds that I didn't care about. On budget, which is the most important part (no, really, it is).

348 pulls total, only pulling green (blue if no green, red if no green or blue), career totals in parentheses:

• Ephraim: 2 (5), including a shiny new [+Atk, -Res] one to replace my current [+Atk, -Spd] one maybe
  • Lyn: 2 (7)
  • Morgan: 2 (9)
  • Hector: 11 (11), including two [+Atk, -Res]
  • Steady Breath: 13 (30)
  • Myrrh: 8 (24)

10.9% 5-star rate, which is roughly expected. I'm immensely satisfied with the results, especially the number of Steady Breaths I got.

@Ice Dragon Do you like Xander? Looking at the number of units that you have, do you ever build units because you have too many 5* copies of them?

I never pulled a BH!Ike before but if I ever pull one, even with bad natures, I can't bring myself to use him for SI because he's a 5* exclusive. 

4 minutes ago, tobuShogi said:

Do you like Xander? Looking at the number of units that you have, do you ever build units because you have too many 5* copies of them?

Only when I'm really bored. I have a whole bunch of highly merged units sitting there with no Skill Inheritance on them (some of them are still level 1) just because the character doesn't interest me (Siegbert), because I haven't pulled a better-than-neutral copy of them (Micaiah), or because I can't tell what the character is supposed to be doing with their stats and can't decide on a nature to use as the merge base (Julia). One of these days, I'll probably get around to them.

The main problem with Spring Xander is that he really wants a Slaying Lance, but my current policy is still that I will only use gold rocks to refine weapons, not evolve them.

My feelings for Xander as a character are pretty neutral. His art in Heroes doesn't make him look quite as handsome as I found him in Warriors, but if Xander gets a legendary version with really good art, you can bet I'll pull for him, just not quite as hard as I pulled for Robin, Lyn, and Hector.

4 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The main problem with Spring Xander is that he really wants a Slaying Lance, but my current policy is still that I will only use gold rocks to refine weapons, not evolve them.

Why?

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The concept of limited (non-farmable) resources is a piece of shit.

But some evolution are like really good. Why choose promotions over evolutions?

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

But some evolution are like really good. Why choose promotions over evolutions?

Slaying weapons are available from other characters. Rare as fuck other characters, but other characters nonetheless.

Of the weapons that are currently only available as evolutions, only Guard Bow interests me and even then not enough for me to spend rocks on it.

On 7/2/2018 at 1:36 AM, Icelerate said:

Did you ever find it strange that the only FE lord you truly like is a brawn over brains type since you prefer the more intelligent characters such as Sephiran and Soren? 

I can and do appreciate a measure of badass. My liking for Hector most likely began with his gameplay goodness when I was younger, but over time has matured into an appreciation for his actual character.

Hector has sufficient nuance and isn't a total brute, he likes battle and being direct, but can grasp politics and battle geography. Nor does he get away with near-perfection like Ephraim.

Whilst I do prefer intellectuals and dislike brutes, I try to judge each character on an individual basis to be fair to them.

Despite me being something of a Shotacon, Ewan and Ross, and Edward if you'd count him with his cheery attitude as one, don't really appeal to me. Ewan too is mage in training, and I love Tormod, but for some reason Ewan just doesn't stand out. Miriel and Lute aren't exactly appealing either, although Lute being a bit less extreme is better to me.

Contrariwise, I find Geitz a good character, and admit there is something admirable to Dorcas in his humble devotion to his wife. FE7 Bartre and Dozla- those are instances of the brawns over brains which I can very much do without. If I had to critically analyze why I like Geitz and find Dorcas okay, perhaps it's that they are muscular men, but they aren't defined wholly by those muscles. Dorcas is defined by being a loving husband, he is rather calm and doesn't lust for war. Geitz, outside of his Dart ties, nothing about his character has to do with being a Warrior. He has become disillusioned with his life as a merchant's son after discovering the inhumanity his father commands below deck on his ship, and has thus abandoned his family in search of some new existential meaning. Geitz could be in any class and his story would not need to change, why looking for life's meaning and a merchant background sounds more like the stuff of a Sage, but just because Geitz isn't one doesn't mean I don't like him. Nor do I like him because his background leans intellectual I would hope, I just consider him written without real issues and rather unique for an FE character. Is there anyone with a story like his?

...But I think I've gone too far off topic here.

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I can and do appreciate a measure of badass. My liking for Hector most likely began with his gameplay goodness when I was younger, but over time has matured into an appreciation for his actual character.

Hector has sufficient nuance and isn't a total brute, he likes battle and being direct, but can grasp politics and battle geography. Nor does he get away with near-perfection like Ephraim.

Whilst I do prefer intellectuals and dislike brutes, I try to judge each character on an individual basis to be fair to them.

I think you went off topic. I meant comparing Hector to other lords that are more intellectual. Don't you find it strange that the more intelligent FE lords don't appeal to you? 

Just now, Icelerate said:

I think you went off topic. I meant comparing Hector to other lords that are more intellectual. Don't you find it strange that the more intelligent FE lords don't appeal to you? 

I can find bits of likeability in all the other lords, some more so than the others.

The problem perhaps, is the absence of a nuanced, distinctive, intelligent lord who isn't stuck in the category as I see it called "Perfect Pretty Boy". This starts with Marth, was followed with certainty by Seliph (OG Gaiden Alm has too little to tell), is then followed by Reborn as a Redhead Marth, is then followed by Redhead Marth's father.  They're all the same, mild and regal individuals who if they lack in fighting abilities (Roy and Eliwood seem to canonically compared to others around them; Marth and Seliph not so much), compensate with this noble aura (which does what exactly?) and inherent strategic genius- well save for Eliwood and FE12 Marth, they have advisors for that.

SoV Alm seems to more or less be a green Marth raised without knowledge of their royal origins, but nonetheless is mild and perfect. But I can't really judge him.

Robin doesn't belong to this category, but I don't really care for this perfect loved by all tactician who MUST be loved by all since they are YOU! AND YOU ARE SPECIAL! Robin isn't me, and while I understand a younger more in need of self-help and encourage crowd, teenagers, might need or benefit from such a figure, I certainly don't need one.

Corrin seems to be the Perfect Pretty Boy lord and the Kris/Robin merged into one with a terrible outcome, but I can't really judge them.

Chrom on the other hand combines the physique and some mannerisms of the muscular lord established by Sigurd, Hector, Ephraim, and Ike, but draws just as heavily from, and narratively if you ask me is more defined by, the Perfect Pretty Boy and all their regality. My opinion of Chrom is quite low owing to him being just much too driven by his heart, I understand there is a place for emotion, but he has little control over himself nor critically reflects on his fault. Marth in FE11 has a rather well-noted "I am a prince before a son and brother" line, I would think Roy and Seliph would be able to stomach making the same statement. Elincia to bring her up, certainly said as much when she let Lucia, her dear friend and sister by upbringing, die. Chrom's mantra is more "I am a brother and a friend before I am a king and someone with the best interests of the entire world in mind".

So, with Leif being in a game I haven't played (reading FE4 Gen 2's and FE6's script I feel gives me a good enough impression of Seliph and Roy, not so with Thracia's), the only intellectual lord left is Micaiah if you'd consider her one. And as for Micaiah, I certainly like her, I don't LOVE her, but I do appreciate her, in particular I offer my sympathy when things are going really badly for her in Part 3.

Maybe Three Houses will make one of its protags a intellectual that can actually appeal to me. Who knows? Just quit giving us Marth with new wigs! 

22 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I can find bits of likeability in all the other lords, some more so than the others.

The problem perhaps, is the absence of a nuanced, distinctive, intelligent lord who isn't stuck in the category as I see it called "Perfect Pretty Boy". This starts with Marth, was followed with certainty by Seliph (OG Gaiden Alm has too little to tell), is then followed by Reborn as a Redhead Marth, is then followed by Redhead Marth's father.  They're all the same, mild and regal individuals who if they lack in fighting abilities (Roy and Eliwood seem to canonically compared to others around them; Marth and Seliph not so much), compensate with this noble aura (which does what exactly?) and inherent strategic genius- well save for Eliwood and FE12 Marth, they have advisors for that.

SoV Alm seems to more or less be a green Marth raised without knowledge of their royal origins, but nonetheless is mild and perfect. But I can't really judge him.

Robin doesn't belong to this category, but I don't really care for this perfect loved by all tactician who MUST be loved by all since they are YOU! AND YOU ARE SPECIAL! Robin isn't me, and while I understand a younger more in need of self-help and encourage crowd, teenagers, might need or benefit from such a figure, I certainly don't need one.

Corrin seems to be the Perfect Pretty Boy lord and the Kris/Robin merged into one with a terrible outcome, but I can't really judge them.

Chrom on the other hand combines the physique and some mannerisms of the muscular lord established by Sigurd, Hector, Ephraim, and Ike, but draws just as heavily from, and narratively if you ask me is more defined by, the Perfect Pretty Boy and all their regality. My opinion of Chrom is quite low owing to him being just much too driven by his heart, I understand there is a place for emotion, but he has little control over himself nor critically reflects on his fault. Marth in FE11 has a rather well-noted "I am a prince before a son and brother" line, I would think Roy and Seliph would be able to stomach making the same statement. Elincia to bring her up, certainly said as much when she let Lucia, her dear friend and sister by upbringing, die. Chrom's mantra is more "I am a brother and a friend before I am a king and someone with the best interests of the entire world in mind".

So, with Leif being in a game I haven't played (reading FE4 Gen 2's and FE6's script I feel gives me a good enough impression of Seliph and Roy, not so with Thracia's), the only intellectual lord left is Micaiah if you'd consider her one. And as for Micaiah, I certainly like her, I don't LOVE her, but I do appreciate her, in particular I offer my sympathy when things are going really badly for her in Part 3.

Maybe Three Houses will make one of its protags a intellectual that can actually appeal to me. Who knows? Just quit giving us Marth with new wigs! 

What about Sigurd? The flawless and perfect noble handsome boy (doesn't ring as well as pretty boy, but it is true), who nevertheless, fails completely and utterly at almost every turn as the conflict is just way beyond his understanding or knowledge.

Edited by Jotari

53 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

By "Perfect Pretty Boy" do you want these guys to be more morally grey or do you think they are too smart? I don't think they are as smart as Sephiran or Soren nor do I think you do either so I'm guessing you think they are too morally perfect. I don't think a protagonist needs to be morally grey to be interesting but I think the more morally grey ones are more interesting so I can agree with you to some extent. 

FE11 Marth has Malledus as his advisor. 

IMO Eliwood is the best Marth clone. I don't think he's too perfect either and in some cases, Hector came off as smarter. For example, Hector was the only lord who didn't speak out against Hellene but after the mess up, Hector was the voice of reason that said, "what's done is done".

Furthermore, Eliwood is quite naive and physically weak both traits that Lloyd takes advantage of. That didn't nor couldn't have happened to Hector. 

Spoiler

Lloyd::
“…I’m beaten. You are strong. Stronger than I’d realized.”

Eliwood::
“……”

Lloyd::
“You’re foolish as well. To waste sentiment on me, your enemy…”

Eliwood::
“Ah!”

Spoiler

Well I do consider her very intelligent. Certainly not perfection tier intelligent, however, which is a good thing. Most of my favourite characters in general are fairly smart people but not top tier "know it alls". Which is why I vastly prefer her to Roy and Soren. 

Edited by Icelerate

10 minutes ago, Jotari said:

What about Sigurd? The flawless and perfect noble handsome boy (doesn't ring as well as pretty boy, but it is true), who nevertheless, fails completely and utterly and almost every turn as the conflict is just way beyond his understanding or knowledge.

Sigurd I can't quite judge as I do Seliph. My willingness to judge Seliph is predicated on the premise that FE4 Gen 2 is generally simple, safe and unambitious with its narrative allowing for Seliph to be easily read and digests wholly from the script. There are a few more complicated elements to it I can't really touch, Thracia affairs so much, but Seliph at least is in my reach. Sigurd and Leif are caught up in more complex plots that demand ingame context for me judge effectively.

As for whether Sigurd deserves to belong in the same category as Hector, Ike and Ephraim, in the Perfect Pretty Boy group, or be Chrom's predecessor who straddles the two (before the Hector-muscular group was ever established) is open to debate I shall concede. Although being a noble does not exclude from the Hector group, since otherwise it's just a party of one- Ike (who even has a formerly noble father).

At very worse, I could see one saying he is CQ Corrin's predecessor, blindly causing destruction all over the world. A more sympathetic reading though could cast him as being a pure and simple warrior at heart whose innocent loyalty is his doom, and such a reading leans him more towards the Hector group I think. I think one could even argue possibly that Chapters 2-3 Sigurd is a Camus as an aside, which then brings to mind Micaiah's near-Camus nature in Part 3 (she never quite becomes one).

4 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

By "Perfect Pretty Boy" do you want these guys to be more morally grey or do you think they are too smart? I don't think they are as smart as Sephiran or Soren nor do I think you do either so I'm guessing you think they are too morally perfect. I don't think a protagonist needs to be morally grey to be interesting but I think the more morally grey ones are more interesting so I can agree with you to some extent. 

Moral greyness would be nice, but it isn't necessary. And yes they aren't the smartest around generally, but the way the stories are told for pre-12 Marth, for Roy, and for Seliph, is that they are basically the ones making all the important decisions and everything successful is attributable to them. Having a meaningful coterie of supporters alleviates this, which they lack.

7 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

FE11 Marth has Malledus as his advisor. 

And Roy has Merlinus. Who is sometimes contradicted by Roy to the benefit of success. Elffin also comes later, but more supplements Roy with information than actually make strategy, that is Roy's realm.

9 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

IMO Eliwood is the best Marth clone. I don't think he's too perfect either and in some cases, Hector came off as smarter. For example, Hector was the only lord who didn't speak out against Hellene but after the mess up, Hector was the voice of reason that said, "what's done is done".

Lumping Eliwood with Marth, Seliph, and Roy is less on grounds of perfection than on personality. Eliwood I know well isn't perfect, and I do appreciate this aspect of him. Having to share the spotlight with Hector, and FE7 having Mark who exists to be the strategizing mind of the group (and Lyn... exists), is very much why Eliwood isn't perfect I think. Roy is perfect because he alone bears the plot on his shoulders, Eliwood doesn't, to his benefit because it lets him make mistakes and his flaws be seen narratively. The Hellene outburst being Eliwood's, and Hector being the one to say the content of these lines:

Spoiler

Hector:
“For generations, our ancestors dedicated themselves to a sort of frugal militarism. Nobles and commoners alike shunned extravagance.”
“Corrupt neither the body nor the mind,” they cried! Since the time of Roland, this has been the dominant ideology of Ostia.

Marcus:
“I heard that when Lord Uther first participated in the Lycian Council as Marquess Ostia, he gave a scathing indictment of the peer system. Now I understand, his philosophy had its roots in the history of Ostia itself.”

Hector:
“That’s right. Yet this thinking… it threatens the lifestyles of many of our aristocrats. So some groups view my brother with enmity. I must grow wiser so that I can sit at my brother’s side and aid him. Of course, my fighting skills are not yet what they should be…”

do well to invert the usual expectations of what these two characters are. Eliwood and Hector compliment each other quite well. And Eliwood probably is the best Pretty Boy (since "Perfect" isn't well suited for him).

25 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

Well I do consider her very intelligent. Certainly not perfection tier intelligent, however, which is a good thing. Most of my favourite characters in general are fairly smart people but not top tier "know it alls". Which is why I vastly prefer her to Roy and Soren. 

Understandable. I can see how Soren can come off as being just too "inhumanly smart it's favoritism on the writers' part", well in RD, his brainiac abilities aren't so focused on in PoR.

To be fair, in Dynasty Warriors, a series which has its fair share of playable tacticians, Zhuge Liang turns me off. While all tacticians come off as godly there (but most people in the series seems godly to some extent), Zhuge Liang is just too godly and too mystically aloof, he feels not very human being so legendarily brilliant. I'm more of the Jia Xu or Sima Yi person, they seem to be a bit more grounded.

I'll keep this banner in good memories for the rest of my life. 40% 5* fangrate speaks for itself including a Hecttrick. Never ever pulled one and the same unit three times in one session. Only Myrrh is missing for my total luck. Still I have one DC and Steady Breath left. Maybe I'll even merge my Hector and LIke to +2 to have an easier time for chain challenges.

Edited by Hecatia Lapislazuli