How does one make hacks/mods of 3DS titles?

Jazzman

As the title says, how do you make a hack of a 3DS title? I know of the tools used for older systems but not tools for the likes of the 3DS. Please bestow knowledge upon me so I can broaden my horizons.

Thanks in advance.

Spoiler

On a side note, could someone please explain to me what the heck Hex Editing is. I am completely lost on what it is but it sounds useful.

I can't really provide any specific pointers, but really, the concept is very similar.

The main difference is that, post GBA, it's possible to extract the game file (ROM, ISO, whatever) into all of its constituent files. In general, you never directly edit the game file like you do with GBA hacking. Instead, you edit the separate files, then recompile the game file.

As such, the first thing you need is a tool to extract the game file. For 3DS, you want to extract the RomFS (which is kinda like a GBA ROM). You can find a RomFS Extractor/Builder made by SciresM.

Next, after extracting the files, you'll find that many files are compressed and/or encrypted to save space and make editing harder. FEAT, also by SciresM, can decompress/decrypt most common file types in 3DS FE games.

After decompressing/decrypting the file(s) of interest, then you use a hex editor or Nightmare etc. on the file.

Finally, after editing the file, you need to do everything in reverse. So you need to use FEAT to compress/encrypt the file and RomFS Extractor/Builder to recompile the RomFS. OR if you have CFW on your 3DS, there should be a plug in or CFW that lets you load individual modified files without needing to recompile the RomFS.

Edited by VincentASM

Thank you!

32 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

As such, the first thing you need is a tool to extract the game file. For 3DS, you want to extract the RomFS (which is kinda like a GBA ROM). You can find a RomFS Extractor/Builder made by SciresM.

Next, after extracting the files, you'll find that many files are compressed and/or encrypted to save space and make editing harder. FEAT, also by SciresM, can decompress/decrypt most common file types in 3DS FE games.

After decompressing/decrypting the file(s) of interest, then you use a hex editor or Nightmare etc. on the file.

Can I find links to these applications on Serenes? Or do I need to search elsewhere?