Wallace or Oswin

SMEDIA

Let’s say you played Lyn’s mode on Hard. With Wallace, you level him up to level 20 and use the Knight’s Crest on him. Would he be better than Oswin if Oswin were promoted at level 20?

At level 12, Wallace has these stats:

HP: 30

Str: 13

Skill: 7

Speed: 5

Luck: 10

Def: 15

Res: 2

Con: 13

At level 20, on average, Wallace will have these stats:

HP: 30+0.7*8 = 35.6

Str: 13+0.45*8 = 16.6

Skill: 7+0.4*8 = 10.2

Speed: 5+0.2*8 = 6.6

Luck: 10+0.30*8 = 12.4

Def: 15+0.35*8 = 17.8

Res: 2+0.35*8 = 4.8

Con: 13

Upon promotion, Wallace will have:

HP: 35.6+4 = 39.6

Str: 16.6+2 = 18.6

Skill: 10.2+2 = 12.2

Speed: 6.6+3 = 9.6

Luck: 12.4

Def: 17.8+2 = 19.8

Res: 4.8+2 = 6.8

Con: 13+2 = 15

At level 20/1, Oswin will have:

HP: 41.9

Str: 19.4

Skill: 14.3

Speed: 11.3

Luck: 6.85

Def: 21.05

Res: 9.3

Con: 14+2 = 16

Oswin beats Wallace in every single stat barring luck which is pretty inconsequential. This is in spite of assuming you spend a lot time and effort to grind Wallace to level 20 and waste the knight's crest on him. By the time Wallace is recruited, using a general or armour knight isn't very optimal since you should have plenty of units that can tank or reliably dodge the enemy. Furthermore, most of your units can reliably double the enemy but these guys can't so these guys will have worse damage output compared to most of your other strong units. 

Yeah, Wallace's growths aren't nearly good enough to catch him up to Oswin, even WITH the insane preference and babying he'd need to get there by the end of LHM.

It does a good job showing why Wallace is considered one of, if not the single worst, units in FE7. For many reasons. 

Edited by Slumber

Why bother training either one when you have Hector who outweighs them both in the long run?

Anyways, I never bothered using either of them simply because..well there are so many other units worth training than them unless you want a general in which case, Oswin's the better option.

Which is sad really because Wallace is one of the best written characters in the entire game.

The last time I even recruited Wallace in Eliwood's/Hector's tale, it was strictly for his Supports.

He is a well-written character, and I like his Supports, but those are pretty much the only things about him that I like. Even the map where you recruit him compares unfavorably to its alternative, IMO.