Do Assassins pick up desert items?

I'm assuming this is the case in FE7, but I'm not sure about FE8 because you also can promote to Rogue, which seems to be the one you're supposed to go with if you want to retain/maximize your thief utility.

hmm. i don't think that you can in fe7 if just for the fact that fell contracts, how i remember it anyway, come WAAAY after nabata. you might not be able to guarantee picking up items with assassin in fe8 either, if only because they share the promotion with myrmidons, complicating the whole question further.

ill check some nightmare thingies

Update: It looks like, unless my knowledge of GBA skills is off the mark, yes they can because desert looting is likely tied to the thief key skill, or no because its tied to steal, in which case, rogues can guarantee item drops in the desert. 

BUT, i think that it is tied to thief key, not steal. so i expect so actually.

Edited by (s)ad touch
because i actually got some info

• 2 weeks later...

(s)ad touch is correct; it's impossible to tell whether Assassins can pick up desert items in FE7, because the desert map comes long before you get Jaffar or the Fell Contract.

It shouldn't be too hard to tell whether they are guaranteed to pick up desert items in FE8, though, since you can promote Colm, Joshua, or Marisa long before the desert chapter there.

The ability to automatically loot desert items could also be tied to extended field of view in Fog of War maps (which Assassins also have, even if promoted from Myrmidons in FE8), in which case Assassins could automatically loot desert items.

Edited by Paper Jam

...well this should be a simple enough thing to test out.

Someone do a randomized Fe7 run in Eliwood Mode. Reroll for random classes until the Marcus fill-in pops up as an Assassin in the opening chapter. 

Then advance to Living Legend, bring him out to the desert, and see what happens. 

Edited by Shoblongoo

You probably could even just use FEditor to avoid having to reroll a million times. I mean practical extent aside of not having the class available before the desert map, it's still a pretty interesting question to figure out how the code works.

Do I sense a PME run coming up? I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Is there a way to use FEditor to automatically start on a certain chapter? If not, there still might be a save file for that point in the game floating around.