NES styled characters!

Hecatia

I wanted to show what I did sometime while I was bored without internet :3c
There's Colm, Neimi, Nino, Serra, Lute, Lyn, Eliwood, Hector, Julius, Oliver, Micaiah, Ninian, Chrom, Robin, a Jigglypuff and Whitney from both from Pokemon.

5b3ab9aee959d_allofem.thumb.png.16bf153a4f722ea75ae61a8e2a4f02dc.png

I tried to stick with the thing that NES portraits are famous from, making little changes to portrait a different character

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget to add those funny mistakes like the portraits of Gaiden, the face of cliff makes me die of laughter.
EDIT: I'm also a Pokemon fan! I also realized how some sprites are based off others like Ninian is to Caeda and Eliwood is to Alm

Edited by This boi uses Nino

Oh yeah! I always wondered if he had his mouth opened or that was supposed to be a teeth!

So nice to find another Pokemon buddy :D
Yep, you got em' right! From what I remember now, Nino is based on Lena, Lute is Silque and Robin from Hestia/Marla

My favorite out of all is Oliver, his sprite is just so fun to look at (Not because it's bad) he just retains the same funny "Fatness" he has in FE9 and FE10

22 minutes ago, This boi uses Nino said:

Don't forget to add those funny mistakes like the portraits of Gaiden, the face of cliff makes me die of laughter.

How could you laugh at this beauty?

cliff.gif

He's magnificence incarnate, I tell you!

I recall someone had a profile pic of Oboro in the Famicom style, which was pretty neat.  I like how you gave multiple expressions for some of these sprites.

3 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

cliff.gif

I meant Tobin's just what's wrong with his hair? It's like FE4 where all the characters have some floating hair in front of them.

Just now, This boi uses Nino said:

My favorite out of all is Oliver, his sprite is just so fun to look at (Not because it's bad) he just retains the same funny "Fatness" he has in FE9 and FE10

Hehehe Ikr? Then I did a pretty good job with him :D

Just now, Ertrick36 said:

cliff.gif

I recall someone had a profile pic of Oboro in the Famicom style, which was pretty neat.  I like how you gave multiple expressions for some of these sprites.

Could he rival Oliver, though?

I think I saw it somewhere around internet, and yeah it was cool! Thank you so much c:

I have never seen such beauty expressed in such a captivating form. Why I would say it could drive a man to tears!

Melodramatic exaggerations aside, these are some really fun sprites you've made. Old 8-bit games that get ambitious with the in-game art are always amusing and these portraits really capture that feeling.

On 7/2/2018 at 10:02 PM, TheGoodHoms said:

I have never seen such beauty expressed in such a captivating form. Why I would say it could drive a man to tears!

Melodramatic exaggerations aside, these are some really fun sprites you've made. Old 8-bit games that get ambitious with the in-game art are always amusing and these portraits really capture that feeling.

Thank you so much! That was definitely the feeling that I wanted to capture! :D

On 7/2/2018 at 10:08 PM, Oz â™  said:

Strangely charming...

NES sprites are charming because are like, bad but good at the same time :o

image.png.6fc40518b3e4d4f9d082dc452250513d.pngimage.png.9856dc46627a8ced094e7aac96350dca.png

I did four more! Rebecca, Denning, Devdan (definitely not Danved) and Mangs!

Devdan was sorta difficult in terms of choosing colors, his tone of skin and the background had to be "harmonic" and Mangs was just a little thingy that I was doing while watching his PoR Maniac Mode Massacre.

Edited by 1% Critical Hit
adding info that i forgot

14 hours ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

image.png.6fc40518b3e4d4f9d082dc452250513d.pngimage.png.9856dc46627a8ced094e7aac96350dca.png

I did four more! Rebecca, Denning, Devdan (definitely not Danved) and Mangs!

Devdan was sorta difficult in terms of choosing colors, his tone of skin and the background had to be "harmonic" and Mangs was just a little thingy that I was doing while watching his PoR Maniac Mode Massacre.

Rebecca is ok, denning I can't remeber who it was, Devdan loks like he is from the 60s or 70s with that afro hair and Mangs, well he looks like he is losing which always appen : )

that devdanved has a very weird nose.

otherwise, I know this is gonna sound like i'm a whiny bitch, but that danved does not respect NES technical palette limitations.(which you probably weren't aiming to respect anyways, but shrug)

by using usenti to split up that danved into 8x8 tiles, you'll see that the tile I highlighted has 5 colors in it. however, the NES palette limitations force you to only have 4 colors per tile, with a max of 16 colors(4 palettes of 4 colors). so, you'd have to remove some shading on that devdan.

working on my FE1 hack all night is slowly locking me out from noticing anything that isn't technically correct aaaaa

anyways, rant over. 

2 hours ago, This boi uses Nino said:

Rebecca is ok, denning I can't remeber who it was, Devdan loks like he is from the 60s or 70s with that afro hair and Mangs, well he looks like he is losing which always appen : )

Denning was Nergal's messenger, the guy who always says: "This is a message of Lord Nergal and blah, blah"

Good ol' Mangs always testing his patience X3

Just now, Kirb1337 said:

that devdanved has a very weird nose.

otherwise, I know this is gonna sound like i'm a whiny bitch, but that danved does not respect NES technical palette limitations.(which you probably weren't aiming to respect anyways, but shrug)

by using usenti to split up that danved into 8x8 tiles, you'll see that the tile I highlighted has 5 colors in it. however, the NES palette limitations force you to only have 4 colors per tile, with a max of 16 colors(4 palettes of 4 colors). so, you'd have to remove some shading on that devdan.

working on my FE1 hack all night is slowly locking me out from noticing anything that isn't technically correct aaaaa

anyways, rant over. 

I actually wanted to stick to limitations, but I messed up :P Devdanved was the most difficult one to make, his hair was hard to put on sprite form and the colors were difficult to portray in NES palette.

Don't think you're whiny or having a rant, I take criticism and/or feedback quite well and it's not a problem at all, specially if you're working on a FF1 hack!

1 hour ago, NeoMasterZX said:

I wanna ask, does FE1 not use the stacking technique? Cause if it does, then 6 colors are available. I did too many Megaman Robot Masters to know that all too well.

Is the stacking technique just layering 2 sprites on top of each other? If so that would make sense(3 colors + 1 transparent = 6 usable colors)(it'd also explain the flickering with the sprites) but unfortunately, i'm fairly certain NESFE uses the background layer for mugs, not the sprites layers(hence why we can see the background color.).

1 hour ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

Don't think you're whiny or having a rant, I take criticism and/or feedback quite well and it's not a problem at all, specially if you're working on a FF1 hack!

FE1, Not FF1.

20 hours ago, Kirb1337 said:

Is the stacking technique just layering 2 sprites on top of each other? If so that would make sense(3 colors + 1 transparent = 6 usable colors)(it'd also explain the flickering with the sprites) but unfortunately, i'm fairly certain NESFE uses the background layer for mugs, not the sprites layers(hence why we can see the background color.).

FE1, Not FF1.

Heh, just a little typo :3c

21 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

These are awesome, but Hector looks more like a generic cavalier than himself, no big deal though!

Thank you so much! :D
Hmm... You're right, he looks like a generic cavalier :o

1 minute ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

Yup, that's Arden! and the last one is Quan

Played a teeny bit of FE4, had him but he's not as memorable as Arden because no memes I guess.

7 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Played a teeny bit of FE4, had him but he's not as memorable as Arden because no memes I guess.

Yeah, you're right, but didn't Arden memes began on Heroes, though?
And FE4 is difficult to approach because of the enormous maps so is understandable

Yeah, Arden memes started in Heroes.

It's not just the huge maps, but the primitive mechanics, like how doubling isn't possible without a certain skill wtf. I hope they fix that if theres a remake.

7 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Yeah, Arden memes started in Heroes.

It's not just the huge maps, but the primitive mechanics, like how doubling isn't possible without a certain skill wtf. I hope they fix that if theres a remake.

I hope there's a remake for FE4, with FE5 as an extra and that would cover all of the missing games