Who do you like more, Lloyd or Linus?

Icelerate

Who do you like more?   

25 members have voted

1. 1. Lloyd or Linus?

Most people including myself prefer Lloyd over Linus. Simultaneously, most people including myself prefer Hector over Eliwood. Considering how Lloyd is supposed to be like Eliwood and Linus is supposed to be like Hector, don't you guys find this odd? 

I think it has to do with how perfect a character is compared to how flawed they are. Of these four, Eliwood is the most "perfect" and Linus is the most flawed. Both Hector and Lloyd are the middle ground and hence resonate more with the audience. All in all, I think balance is the most important thing when writing characters. 

Also, FE seems to have over competent protagonists in comparison to antagonists. Lloyd is one of the rare antagonists who's shown to be very competent and that's a breath of fresh air. Likewise, since Hector isn't as perfect as most male FE lords, as a result, he too is a breath of fresh air.

What are your thoughts on this paradox? 

i'll agree that Lloyd on Hector over Linus and Eliwood respectively. For pretty much the theorized reasons of freshness.

Linus does have a good heart, it is stated in his FFO he avoided dragging civilians into his fight with Eliwood and Hector and co., but he is just too brutish and rash. Not quite an earlygame generic bandit boss, he is still exaggerated like many FE villains.

Lloyd is cool and calm, not exaggerated like other villains. Yet he is not exactly dull and forgettable either, nor is he pushed heavily as a Camus, even though he was on the path to becoming one.

To judge the Reed Brothers, I went back and read all their dialogue, there is even a line where Lloyd compares Hector to Linus, making the parallel more clear.

I've also noticed, in case you haven't, that Lloyd and Linus have two other sets of parallels. The first is Karel and Harken- one is a Swordmaster, the other a Hero, though personality-wise, they're the opposite of Lloyd and Linus, with Harken the Hero calm, while Karel lusts for battle. The other parallel is Georg and Kaim, the bosses of the Durandal and Armads chapters, one is a Berserker (an axe-Swordmaster) and the other a Hero. A third potential parallel can be found in Roland and Durbans, Roland is like Eliwood and is presumed to have been a Hero, while Durbans is presumed to have been a Berserker and is closer to Hector. This Swordmaster/Berserker-Hero imagery has a certain poetry to it when you consider Myrmidon and Mercenary were once the same class.

Hector and Eliwood are almost equal in my eyes, but I still chose Hector because bias. 

On the Reeds, I think I prefer Linus. Lloyd is excellently written for a Fire Emblem villain. His whole atmosphere is just brilliant and so unique to the typical FE baddie. The only reason I chose Linus was simply because of how dynamic he is. Both brothers obviously are upset when they learn of the other's death, but Linus's reaction to Lloyd always really hit me. He acts like such a tough guy all the time, but you also know that he has a good heart. His reaction to Lloyd's death is just sad really. He completely hides away the whole tough guy persona and completely breaks apart in anger.

However, they really are both great. Some of the most memorable FE bosses of all time IMO.

Edited by KevinskyHaaz

• 2 weeks later...

I like Lloyd more, due to him being a very level-headed and reasonable villain. Not to mention the fact that unlike his brother, he didn't completely lose his mind when the other brother died. Also the fact that in his version of Cogs of Destiny, he doesn't attack Nino and would instead move and target anyone else in his range which I thought was a nice touch and I've never really seen it done in any other game to my knowledge.

• 4 weeks later...

I prefer Hector to Eliwood both as a character and a unit. Me I like Linus over his brother, I guess I just like the characters that are more action oriented even if they're a little brash and reckless. That's not to say I dislike Loyd he is a pretty cool character and seems more laid back which is another trait I like but I prefer Linus, but it's possible my like for mercs and heroes over myrms might have something to do with it. Meaning if both Linus and Loyd were heroes my choice as to which one I like might be harder to make.

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer Hector to Eliwood. I like Eliwood, and he's always a good unit for me, despite his reputation. But his personality is a bit too stereotypically heroic. He doesn't feel very original.

I really like Linus, but Lloyd is possibly my favorite secondary antagonist. Whether they are well-intentioned or not, most Black Fang members feel like members of a medieval outlaw group. Whenever such a group is depicted in fiction, you can expect for there to be people like Linus, Brendan, Jan, Legault, Jaffar, Uhai, Jerme, Ursula, etc. Those characters, whether sympathetic or not, all feel like outlaws.

Lloyd is different in that he looks and speaks and acts mostly like the heroic scion of a noble house, except that he is one of the leaders of a criminal league, and quite an effective one at that, which he remains to the bitter end. For those who have read A Song of Ice and Fire, he reminds me a bit of Beric Dondarrion, leader of the Brotherhood without Banners, in that they both are competent, high-ranked figures in an originally somewhat heroic outlaw clan that unwittingly got involved with some mysterious magic stuff, yet neither feels like an outlaw boss. Of course, the analogy is imperfect, as Beric is in fact the head of a noble house who became a bandit through a series of circumstances, but I still see quite a few similarities.

(I'm talking here about the book version of Beric. While I do love the Richard Dormer's portrayal of the character in the TV show, the format made it so that his noble background is merely quickly alluded to, and he only gets a cameo as a handsome youth before getting heavily scarred and actually looking like a criminal. So the "strangeness" of such a character in such a role is much less striking.)