Character Select Screen: Smash Ultimate

Jedi

The demo has a CSS that looks like this currently. 

It goes perfectly off the Fighter #'s I think the CSS will be based on fighter number rather than franchise this time however, I don't see why they wouldn't give us the option to organize it by both.

Edited by Jedi

someone brought this up in a youtube video and I don't see any reason not to let us sort them, I am thinking that the roster will hit 70 and if we are going by introduction number, it may be very jarring to get used to, I have seen mods in brawl where you could change the order of fighters so it is possible.

Other than the difference in how the fighters are arranged on the menu, I think it's theming is very similar to Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. I'm wondering if this will change at all once the game nears completion. Only time will tell I guess.

As I was typing the above statement I had a thought. What if you could unlock menu themes based on past titles in the series? Sure it's a little much to ask for from a game that's clearly very challenging to put together, but it could be a nice touch that would fit the game's branding as a celebration of Super Smash Bros. history. 

Given that they made a point about listing the characters by number, i think that they might really do it when it comes to the character select screen. In the past, it was by series but so was selecting a character before the stage. So i wouldn't be surprised if they changed it.

4 hours ago, The DanMan said:

I'm hoping they let you switch between by number and by series.

ditto

______

hmm. still wonder if we'll be starting with 8 or 12 

5 minutes ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

Yeah series sort is what I want too. Also is that the starting roster? Well I'll be playing a lot of Marth and Cloud until I unlock Shulk and Roy.

Sakurai said here that he "decided to limit the number of fighters initially available to the original Nintendo 64 roster" so the only starters will likely be the twelve characters playable in the first game.

Deduced this during E3. Can't help but wonder if it's because of how DLC is added. In Smash 4 they just added them in at the end, but some people didn't like that, so they've decided to just order the whole roster that way so when they add more DLC they'll be ordered the same as everyone else.

I don't expect to be able to order it manually, but it would be nice. I'd also like to set the default skin for each character so I can set female Corrin like it fucking should have been.

48 minutes ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

Yeah series sort is what I want too. Also is that the starting roster? Well I'll be playing a lot of Marth and Cloud until I unlock Shulk and Roy.

That ain't the starting roster. Starting roster is confirmed to be the Original 12. Everyone who isn't part of that is now an unlockable character, even those who have been starter characters in the past such as Zelda.

Edit: oh whoops, someone beat me to it.

Edited by Armagon

42 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Sakurai said here that he "decided to limit the number of fighters initially available to the original Nintendo 64 roster" so the only starters will likely be the twelve characters playable in the first game.

I've heard some people complain about such a small starting roster, since they hate unlocking stuff, but I think it does a few really good things, namely that the original 64 cast has arguably the simplest and most natural moveset in the series. There's a reason why a lot of newcomers play Mario, Kirby, and Pikachu, beyond their popularity out of Smash. Someone new to Smash and bought it because they wanted to see what the fuss was all about is going to have an easier time getting into it if they try these characters instead of more complex ones like Bayonetta, Greninja, etc

24 minutes ago, Florete said:

Deduced this during E3. Can't help but wonder if it's because of how DLC is added. In Smash 4 they just added them in at the end, but some people didn't like that, so they've decided to just order the whole roster that way so when they add more DLC they'll be ordered the same as everyone else.

I don't expect to be able to order it manually, but it would be nice. I'd also like to set the default skin for each character so I can set female Corrin like it fucking should have been.

Agreed on both points. At the very least sorting by series would make it much better (Brawl's screen did this best). And even before I knew anything about Fates, after seeing Corrin in Smash, I immediately thought "this is the better one" when toggling to the female version.

1 hour ago, Carter said:

The ordering of numbers is cool and all, but I do prefer to order by series. It also bothers me that Sheik is 16 and Zelda is 17, and I refuse to get used to that lol

It's because Sheik showed up in Melees opening first.

On 7/3/2018 at 9:53 PM, Jedi said:

It's because Sheik showed up in Melees opening first.

Oh yeah, I already knew about the reasoning as to why Sheik was numbered first.

I just don't like it lol (it bothers me for some reason. I always feel like Zelda should come first?? idk idk)

late edit: also, on the official Smash 4 website, after the game's release, the characters were listed by number order (except without the unlockable characters), just like how Smash Ultimate is currently doing. And despite that, they still put Zelda before Sheik.

Edited by Carter

I hope they let you select a few sorting options. Would be pretty funny in tournament to hear squabbles between using series or number, and then one set up is using something nuts like "sort alphabetically". If they let you custom sort, so many people will sort by tier list lol.

It'd be a superfluous QoL addition, but I'd appreciate it. 

I was poking about on the website a few minutes ago and discovered that there is an option to see the fighters by series on the bottom of the screen, this could imply that they see the necessity for a player to be able to order the roster in a more easy to follow fashion.

so that could imply that we may get an option in the future.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/27/2018 at 1:42 AM, Zangetsu said:

So will you be going to Evo to see if the roster gets updated?

I will be at EVO yes, likely to be the same demo though.