About Byleth aka "the teacher"...!

I'm not even gonna pretend I don't still watch the trailer a few times per week, I'm that obssessive when it comes to Fire Emblem. But I just watched the trailer again and this time  I noticed something new!

So, when Byleth (who I believe is the avatar given that you can choose what Edelgard should train in the trailer and she follows his orders in the map and stuff) does a critical at the end of the trailer, you can see he doesn't even open his mouth or attemps to show an expression or anything even though he's doing a critical. Look: https://ibb.co/i2SHKy

Like it's already weird he doesn't at least change his expression, even the most serious characters in awafates do it, and Byleth is not just whatever unit. But the thing is he never opens his mouth, meaning he doesn't say anything during the critical.

He also doesn't talk here: https://ibb.co/iS5bCJ

That's kinda like in MyCastle from Fates but it still looks weird when looking at the rest of the trailer and at Byleth's never-changing expression through the whole of it.

So, I think we'll be getting a silent avatar! And similar to Mark! What do you think?!

Edited by Chopper...
Gifs weren't moving...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first image doesn't show his face so...what?

Will probably be a good thing if he's a silent avatar after the cringe fest that was Corrin. BUT on the other hand, Mark wasn't playable, so who knows how that will work.

28 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

The first image doesn't show his face so...what?

My whole observation was made on the fact that the trailer did show his face, otherwise I wouldn't point it out. The gif wasn't working, so I apologize for that. I fixed it, more or less, but here is the gif thst shows his face: https://ibb.co/i2SHKy

16 minutes ago, Chopper... said:

My whole observation was made on the fact that the trailer did show his face, otherwise I wouldn't point it out. The gif wasn't working, so I apologize for that. I fixed it, more or less, but here is the gif thst shows his face: https://ibb.co/i2SHKy

I see now!

I guess that's a possibility. Or Byleth's just super serious/emotionless.

I think having a silent avatar (with decisions to make choices) is better than having an avatar with an already established personality.

Well if they actually are silent, maybe for once they'll actually feel like my avatar and not simply a premade character with only cosmetic and gameplay elements being customizable.

I don't need the avatar to have actual conversations with the other characters.  Them monologuing to him/her in supports or the avatar remaining detached in a similar way to how Mark was handled (except obviously playable in this case) is honestly what I'd prefer; being able to marry a character is not a prerequisite for me liking them.  If we were to really go into what I personally would see as ideal for avatar-character relationship building in a game like FE that lacks impactful decision-making, I'd want want something with more interaction.  Like a survey with characters (you ask each other a bunch of premade questions, with the questions getting more "platonically intimate" as you become closer; it'd be my replacement for skinship) or dialogue branches like in a lot of western RPGs such as Fallout or Dragon Age.  Naturally with both of these options requiring so many different lines of dialogue to be made, the voice work here would mostly be ad-libs.

That being said, given how popular Robin and Corrin actually are, I'm not entirely sure if they'll deviate from the formula.  The observation that he was silent in the trailer has been made before, but I can't give it full merit until the game has been released or we see more of the avatar.  Everything we saw is unfinished work technically, and thus is subject to change.  Still, he does feel rather "blank-slatey" compared to the previous couple of avatars, so I don't think the theory is completely without merit.

I'd like a silent avatar I think, that being said even Edelgard never opens her mouth or blink a single time throughout the trailer(it's the most obvious during the weapon training part), so facial animations could simply not be done yet.

8 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

I see now!

Great :lol:! By the way, with my rush to change the images I forgot to comment on what you said (sorry :>_<:). You are right, I guess it won't be that much similar to Mark, but maybe just in regards to his relevance and contribution to the story? I think it could be something in between Mark and Kris.

4 minutes ago, Flee Fleet! said:

I guess that's a possibility. Or Byleth's just super serious/emotionless.

I think having a silent avatar (with decisions to make choices) is better than having an avatar with an already established personality.

I agree in that it is better! About Byleth, I find it precissely weird that he would be so serious and emotionless being an avatar, since all of them (well, Kris, Robin and Corrin) have had more or less the same personality, which is supposed to be sort of generic in order to make the player identify themselves with them :blink:...

12 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

I don't need the avatar to have actual conversations with the other characters.  Them monologuing to him/her in supports or the avatar remaining detached in a similar way to how Mark was handled (except obviously playable in this case) is honestly what I'd prefer; being able to marry a character is not a prerequisite for me liking them.  If we were to really go into what I personally would see as ideal for avatar-character relationship building in a game like FE that lacks impactful decision-making, I'd want want something with more interaction.  Like a survey with characters (you ask each other a bunch of premade questions, with the questions getting more "platonically intimate" as you become closer; it'd be my replacement for skinship) or dialogue branches like in a lot of western RPGs such as Fallout or Dragon Age.  Naturally with both of these options requiring so many different lines of dialogue to be made, the voice work here would mostly be ad-libs.

Well, you see, in the japanese version of Awakening, Robin had the option to be a silent protagonist. I don't actually know how that worked for the supports, but they have done it recently before, and in Awakening no less. The localization team couldn't be bothered with it, mostly because Fire Emblem wasn't as popular at the time, and I guess they wanted to deliver a game with the highest of chances of attracting people. But IntSys does listen a lot to feedback, and as I just said, they have done it already with Robin, so the possibility is very high. And Byleth being that expressionless and not talking is plain weird, haha.

6 minutes ago, Cysx said:

I'd like a silent avatar I think, that being said even Edelgard never opens her mouth or blink a single time throughout the trailer(it's the most obvious during the weapon training part), so facial animations could simply not be done yet.

That's just her portrait, though. I did think it could be that about development for facial animations not being yet done, but they announced this game a year and a half ago, so them being that far back in development that they couldn't even make a properly animated trailer... well, it wouldn't make sense to me. I don't think they would even prepare a trailer that badly if it were the case.

19 minutes ago, Chopper... said:

Well, you see, in the japanese version of Awakening, Robin had the option to be a silent protagonist.

Wow, I had no idea Robin could be a silent protagonist in the Japanese version. I wonder if adding that to the overseas release would have changed how they handled Corrin?

Anyways I still think it's too early to tell, but I would be all for Byleth being silent, just so long as he still isn't the real main character of the story and let the three lords actually be the leads.

Hm, still a bit early to tell but his apparent lack of expression in his criticals does lend itself to the silent protagonist theory.

Personally, I don't think silent protagonists are that worthwhile. Sure, it's easier to project yourself but that's because there is literally NOTHING there. It's not even a character any more. Why do we even need a point-of-view vessel? Can't we just follow the exploits of Edelgard without an Avatar?

I remember playing Golden Sun and being baffled at how non-existent the protagonist was.

"The fate of the world is in peril! What do you think Isaac?"

":("

"...Yes. Frowning is a appropriate reaction to what I just said. Thanks for contributing"

":)"

---------

I think the only way to do a avatar that actually reflects the player without them being a void, is to have significant player choices in the story.  Failing that, I'd take a developed and interesting protagonist, who doesn't necessarily allign with my values, any day.

2 hours ago, Modamy said:

Wow, I had no idea Robin could be a silent protagonist in the Japanese version. I wonder if adding that to the overseas release would have changed how they handled Corrin?

Oh! That's a very good point! Actually, when I first played Awakening I thought the localized version had the silent avatar option as with the japanese one, and if it had I would have chosen that. I'm not accostumed to avatars talking, hahaha :P:

46 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

I remember playing Golden Sun

I'll do my best to talk about Golden Sun without crying, but that series is far too important for me and my heart will forever be broken at how Nintendo abandoned it and then completely forgot about it.

51 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

"The fate of the world is in peril! What do you think Isaac?"

":("

"...Yes. Frowning is a appropriate reaction to what I just said. Thanks for contributing"

":)"

This is... actually very accurate. But even I have to admit that they didn't play the silent protagonist mechanic well in that series. Not just because of how Isaac was handled but more so because of how Felix was handled. Like, in the first game we have Felix talking and having a personality, and then suddenly in The Lost Age he becomes mute. And it's even weirder because the story in The Lost Age starts inmediately after the first game, so it feels like one second he can talk and argue and stuff and then the next he's just mute.

What they did wrong there in the first place is making anyone silent, since no one there is an avatar. This is actually something I quite dislike about some games like Persona and even SMT, when they take the protagonist, who is obviously not an avatar but a character with a set appearance, gender and background, and strip them of any sort of personality by making them silent. I find it lazy and annoying.

That aside, and as I said in this same post, I prefer avatars, real avatars, to be silent, like in Pokemon. Albeit I agree that it would be ideal for us to be able to make relevant choices that affect more than just the gameplay.

22 minutes ago, Chopper... said:

I'll do my best to talk about Golden Sun without crying, but that series is far too important for me and my heart will forever be broken at how Nintendo abandoned it and then completely forgot about it.

Isaac for Smash. Pass it along, and eventually it will reach Sakurai.

33 minutes ago, Chopper... said:

This is... actually very accurate. But even I have to admit that they didn't play the silent protagonist mechanic well in that series. Not just because of how Isaac was handled but more so because of how Felix was handled. Like, in the first game we have Felix talking and having a personality, and then suddenly in The Lost Age he becomes mute. And it's even weirder because the story in The Lost Age starts inmediately after the first game, so it feels like one second he can talk and argue and stuff and then the next he's just mute.

At least they switched around the protagonists so you could see who they were in at least one game. Poor Mathew in Dark Dawn will never get developed.

23 minutes ago, Chopper... said:

That aside, and as I said in this same post, I prefer avatars, real avatars, to be silent, like in Pokemon. Albeit I agree that it would be ideal for us to be able to make relevant choices that affect more than just the gameplay.

I think silent protagonists are fine when you don't really need to interact with anyone on a serious level. It works in Pokemon or Dark Souls (I wonder how often those are compared) because the games are just running around and listening to monologues when need be. For a series like Fire Emblem where character interaction is a big thing, it just feels weird to have this guy standing there who at best gives implied answers. It doesn't make the world more immersive to me, it just feels like the "protagonist" got their personality gutted.

I don't want to see a return of Mark from Blazing Sword. Another Robin who plays a supporting role to Adelgard would be the best, in my opinion.

Also there is a chance that the footage is from an early version, and the crit animation is not finished. Or maybe there will be a lip-sync system that isn't activated yet.

I highly doubt that he will stay silent, since he is supposed to teach them... But maybe he will be like Link where he doesn't say anything but all the character somehow hear him/understand him.

At this point nothing is sure yet, we can only wait :)

10 hours ago, Chopper... said:

That's just her portrait, though. I did think it could be that about development for facial animations not being yet done, but they announced this game a year and a half ago, so them being that far back in development that they couldn't even make a properly animated trailer... well, it wouldn't make sense to me. I don't think they would even prepare a trailer that badly if it were the case.

Ah, no, I was referring to her model, since it's visible for a while at that part. Same for Byleth's as he runs around, too, and Mercedes' eyes stay wide open as she gets hit by Edelgard(you get a pretty good view of that around 00:42)

And yes, that's kinda worrying/incomprehensible for me as well, but it's right in front of us all the same...

6 hours ago, Chopper... said:

I think that's just how Camelot does rpgs. That's not even the worst example of theirs, though; in Shining Force III which is divided in three games(they're a continuation of the same story though, unlike Fates), there are three main characters, one per game ; Synbios, Medion and Julian. Well in part 1 Synbios is the lead, and he's a mute, but interracts quite a bit with both Julian and Medion, that both speak normally. Part 2, which covers the events of part 1 but from Medion and his army's perspective, has him going through the exact same scenes where he would normally interract with Synbios, but this time Synbios talks and Medion is the mute. You need to play both games to get the full dialogue(and good memory, these games aren't short). And yeah, part 3 makes Julian a mute instead as you've guessed while both of the others speak normally.

Yeah, it's pretty bizarre but you get used to it. And frankly, Synbios is a good example of a character that is arguably more likeable as a mute, as it turns out.

Edited by Cysx

Damn....it's been a while since I been here since I'm starving for more info probably soon anyway back to topic.

I'm gonna say no since I'm gonna also safely assume the trailer is a very early build of the game when it was just in early stages despite already having english VA and text with lip synch not added yet. As evidence show characters like Mercedes and Hilda (plus that archer guy during the different camera view) don't have unique character models or react to being hit (referring to Mercedes here). Plus Edelgard during what I'm assuming is a new "My Castle" building in her 3D model her face looks so....lifeless with no emotion....I'm sure the final true build will definitely fix these issues so I would wait for a new trailer which likely will show clear changes.

8 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

Isaac for Smash. Pass it along, and eventually it will reach Sakurai.

When they did the super smash bros 4 ballot I voted for Isaac every oportunity I had, but he's just not that popular in comparison :>_<:... 

8 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

For a series like Fire Emblem where character interaction is a big thing, it just feels weird to have this guy standing there who at best gives implied answers. It doesn't make the world more immersive to me, it just feels like the "protagonist" got their personality gutted.

I don't want to see a return of Mark from Blazing Sword. Another Robin who plays a supporting role to Adelgard would be the best, in my opinion.

That's a fair point. FE has very particular avatars in that sense, I guess. In my case, I don't mind them experimenting and changing the relevance and participation of the avatar every game, according to what would adjust well to that particular game. Like for example, I know a lot of people hated Corrin's importance to the plot but the fact they were the central character of the game was what added so much of the tension of having to choose one family over the other. So I'd like to see how they'll adjust avatar to the story this time around.

------

2 hours ago, FuranSuwa said:

Also there is a chance that the footage is from an early version, and the crit animation is not finished. Or maybe there will be a lip-sync system that isn't activated yet.

I highly doubt that he will stay silent, since he is supposed to teach them... But maybe he will be like Link where he doesn't say anything but all the character somehow hear him/understand him.

At this point nothing is sure yet, we can only wait :)

I would be very disappointed if by now they don't even have that much done, but it's a possibility :(:. And I do think he'll be like Link, that's how Robin was in the Japanese version if you chose to have them be silent.

By the way, I found an example of mute Japanese Robin uploaded by Shadowofcaos725:

Spoiler

That's funny. I guess @NekoKnight is right, hahaha:lol:

------

2 hours ago, Cysx said:

Ah, no, I was referring to her model, since it's visible for a while at that part. Same for Byleth's as he runs around, too, and Mercedes' eyes stay wide open as she gets hit by Edelgard(you get a pretty good view of that around 00:42)

And yes, that's kinda worrying/incomprehensible for me as well, but it's right in front of us all the same...

Oh, I'm sorry!! And you're right. Honestly I just thought it was hard for IntSys to change FE from the 3DS to the Switch for the first time, I'm not expecting that much in terms of graphics, although the game looks a lot better than I thought it would :P:. If it's something that can be improved, though, I hope they do.

2 hours ago, Cysx said:

I think that's just how Camelot does rpgs. That's not even the worst example of theirs, though; in Shining Force III which is divided in three games(they're a continuation of the same story though, unlike Fates), there are three main characters, one per game ; Synbios, Medion and Julian. Well in part 1 Synbios is the lead, and he's a mute, but interracts quite a bit with both Julian and Medion, that both speak normally. Part 2, which covers the events of part 1 but from Medion and his army's perspective, has him going through the exact same scenes where he would normally interract with Synbios, but this time Synbios talks and Medion is the mute. You need to play both games to get the full dialogue(and good memory, these games aren't short). And yeah, part 3 makes Julian a mute instead as you've guessed while both of the others speak normally.

Yeah, it's pretty bizarre but you get used to it. And frankly, Synbios is a good example of a character that is arguably more likeable as a mute, as it turns out.

Oh, Shining Force! Yeah, I guess that's how Camelot goes, not that they do anything of the sort now, just making Mario do sports. And I get what you mean with Synbios, hahaha, I actually disliked Felix a lot in GS, yet I was fine with him in TLA. It was still weird, though... and I can't get used to it because they hadn't provided us with another Golden Sun game :(: -cries in a corner-. And Shining has changed so much at the hands of other people.

-------

57 minutes ago, Regal Edelgard Axe Master said:

Damn....it's been a while since I been here since I'm starving for more info probably soon anyway back to topic.

I don't think we'll be getting any more info of the game by IntSys until at least September or October if we're lucky. Meanwhile, I'm here dying. Obviously.

1 hour ago, Regal Edelgard Axe Master said:

I'm gonna say no since I'm gonna also safely assume the trailer is a very early build of the game when it was just in early stages despite already having english VA and text with lip synch not added yet. As evidence show characters like Mercedes and Hilda (plus that archer guy during the different camera view) don't have unique character models or react to being hit (referring to Mercedes here). Plus Edelgard during what I'm assuming is a new "My Castle" building in her 3D model her face looks so....lifeless with no emotion....I'm sure the final true build will definitely fix these issues so I would wait for a new trailer which likely will show clear changes.

I just have a hard time believing they are in the early stages of development still after a year and a half of working on it, while having less than a year for the game to be released. The reason we got basically a teaser, I think, is because the game hasn't been localized, and that's also why it seems we'll be getting a 2019 release, so we all over the globe get the game at the same time. Also, in my case, I'm not waiting for that big of an improvement over it all, since as I said on this post, it's the first time FE will be on the Switch... but well, who knows! :lol:

16 minutes ago, Chopper... said:

When they did the super smash bros 4 ballot I voted for Isaac every oportunity I had, but he's just not that popular in comparison :>_<:... 

That's a fair point. FE has very particular avatars in that sense, I guess. In my case, I don't mind them experimenting and changing the relevance and participation of the avatar every game, according to what would adjust well to that particular game. Like for example, I know a lot of people hated Corrin's importance to the plot but the fact they were the central character of the game was what added so much of the tension of having to choose one family over the other. So I'd like to see how they'll adjust avatar to the story this time around.

------

I would be very disappointed if by now they don't even have that much done, but it's a possibility :(:. And I do think he'll be like Link, that's how Robin was in the Japanese version if you chose to have them be silent.

By the way, I found an example of mute Japanese Robin uploaded by Shadowofcaos725:

Reveal hidden contents

That's funny. I guess @NekoKnight is right, hahaha:lol:

------

Oh, I'm sorry!! And you're right. Honestly I just thought it was hard for IntSys to change FE from the 3DS to the Switch for the first time, I'm not expecting that much in terms of graphics, although the game looks a lot better than I thought it would :P:. If it's something that can be improved, though, I hope they do.

Oh, Shining Force! Yeah, I guess that's how Camelot goes, not that they do anything of the sort now, just making Mario do sports. And I get what you mean with Synbios, hahaha, I actually disliked Felix a lot in GS, yet I was fine with him in TLA. It was still weird, though... and I can't get used to it because they hadn't provided us with another Golden Sun game :(: -cries in a corner-. And Shining has changed so much at the hands of other people.

-------

I don't think we'll be getting any more info of the game by IntSys until at least September or October if we're lucky. Meanwhile, I'm here dying. Obviously.

I just have a hard time believing they are in the early stages of development still after a year and a half of working on it, while having less than a year for the game to be released. The reason we got basically a teaser, I think, is because the game hasn't been localized, and that's also why it seems we'll be getting a 2019 release, so we all over the globe get the game at the same time. Also, in my case, I'm not waiting for that big of an improvement over it all, since as I said on this post, it's the first time FE will be on the Switch... but well, who knows! :lol:

I was referring to the trailer was of stock footage from early stages when they making the game obviously they wouldn't keep it like this. I'm expecting August or September since a direct is likely happening around there.

29 minutes ago, Regal Edelgard Axe Master said:

I was referring to the trailer was of stock footage from early stages when they making the game obviously they wouldn't keep it like this. I'm expecting August or September since a direct is likely happening around there.

But then, this is a game people have been waiting so much to hear about, and it was presented at the E3, so for them to show such an unprepared footage and from the early stages rather than from what they have now would be too irresponsible. They're supposed to have the time to prepare for the trailer, and things like that never happened with Fates, not even in the teaser.

20 minutes ago, Chopper... said:

But then, this is a game people have been waiting so much to hear about, and it was presented at the E3, so for them to show such an unprepared footage and from the early stages rather than from what they have now would be too irresponsible. They're supposed to have the time to prepare for the trailer, and things like that never happened with Fates, not even in the teaser.

Fates was easy because it uses assets from Awakening so it took little time. This game is using all brand new assets just because we saw one teaser in one state doesn't mean it'll look the exact same till release lots of games on Switch prove this i.e. Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 there's a reason bunch of trailers puts disclaimers of "footage not final".

Edited by Regal Edelgard Axe Master

Interesting observation. I haven't had a lot of experience playing games with a silent protagonist. Tales of Xillia 2 is really the only one that immediately comes to mind, and I did actually enjoy Ludger. If Byleth were anything like Ludger, I would welcome the experiment.

Maybe on subsequent playthroughs, they could give you the option to hear Byleth, similar to how ToX2 handled Ludger.

9 minutes ago, Regal Edelgard Axe Master said:

Fates was easy because it uses assets from Awakening so it took little time. This game is using all brand new assets just because we saw one teaser in one state doesn't mean it'll look the exact same till release lots of games on Switch prove this i.e. Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade Chronicles 2

I'm not expecting it to look exactly the same, just not that different either. Also, just in case, I'm not saying you're wrong or anything of the sort, I can't be sure as of now if Byleth is silent or not, it's just a theory born out of my obssession with the game and my wish to talk about it, haha :P:

7 minutes ago, Affinity said:

Interesting observation. I haven't had a lot of experience playing games with a silent protagonist. Tales of Xillia 2 is really the only one that immediately comes to mind, and I did actually enjoy Ludger. If Byleth were anything like Ludger, I would welcome the experiment.

Maybe on subsequent playthroughs, they could give you the option to hear Byleth, similar to how ToX2 handled Ludger.

Thank you :lol:! It could be that they'll give us the option for him to be silent or not, instead of it being only one way or another.

What I would find very interesting is if they let the avatar have at least slightly different personalities to choose from, something I read in a false FE leak.

Edited by Chopper...

2 minutes ago, Chopper... said:

Thank you :lol:! It could be that they'll give us the option for him to be silent or not, instead of it being only one way or another.

What I would find very interesting is if they let the avatar have at least slightly different personalities to choose from, something I read in a false FE leak.

Yeah, I think it would be a great idea if perhaps the game gave Byleth dialogue options that could affect character relationships. Each character would have their own interests and personalities (as they always do) and depending on your response, it could raise or lower Byleth's connection with that character. If they really want to make it interesting, have Byleth speak to multiple people at the same time, and thus choosing certain dialogue options will increase affection for some characters in the room, and possibly have no effect/decrease affection for others in the room. I think it'd be an interesting inclusion that may shift how supports are grown.

1 hour ago, Chopper... said:

Tell me about it... and SFIII ends on a cliffhanger, just like Golden Sun Dark Dawn... as someone who enjoys both a lot, I'll let you imagine how frustrating that is(^_^')

At least there's always some hope for the Golden Sun series, but the universe of Shining Force III and its predecessor, Shining the Holy Ark, is 100% never getting touched again. As you said, the Shining series has changed a ton since then, and so has Sega really. I mean, a few years back, Sega manually deleted 90% of youtube videos covering the aforementioned STHA so that they wouldn't interfere with the promotion of the newest entry at the time, Shining Ark(the name similarity being a coincidence, the games essentially have nothing in common afaik). Kinda tells you everything you need to know about how much they care.

Ah well...

41 minutes ago, Chopper... said:

I've honestly been wondering if that trailer wasn't supposed to be shown in the april direct, ultimately gerring pushed to E3 because they needed more new games to show there, and they already knew it wasn't coming this year by that point anyway(that's another maybe, but I think that one's reasonable). Not that it would change much, but it would make a little more logical sense.

I'm the same, I don't mind the graphics all that much. I just know that the backlash will be significant if the game looks bad and would like that to be avoided.

Edited by Cysx

24 minutes ago, Chopper... said:

I'm not expecting it to look exactly the same, just not that different either. Also, just in case, I'm not saying you're wrong or anything of the sort, I can't be sure as of now if Byleth is silent or not, it's just a theory born out of my obssession with the game and my wish to talk about it, haha :P:

Oh ok ^_^ I still don't think it would be the case especially for his supports which would feel very one sided to me even with a choice select unless the choice select is unique dialouge dependant over just answering 1 thing per chance. An overall choice select with Byleth has great potential which can help with the social aspect of FE where depending on the choice can effect outcomes and deeping relationships with the other characters like in this games likely My Room interacting mechanic to build support points so I'm not against that.

Edited by Regal Edelgard Axe Master

8 hours ago, Regal Edelgard Axe Master said:

Oh ok ^_^ I still don't think it would be the case especially for his supports which would feel very one sided to me even with a choice select unless the choice select is unique dialouge dependant over just answering 1 thing per chance. An overall choice select with Byleth has great potential which can help with the social aspect of FE where depending on the choice can effect outcomes and deeping relationships with the other characters like in this games likely My Room interacting mechanic to build support points so I'm not against that.

Oh, you mean that depending on your choice you could accumulate more "relationship points" with them? Or something like that. And then you get different dialogues depending on your choice. That could work, yes!

As for the supports feeling very one-sided, well, yes, as you can see in the video I posted as an example just a few posts up, of an S support between Silent Robin (which was an option in the japanese version) and Emmeryn. Even if you don't understand what she says, you can tell it's very weird.

Edited by Chopper...