Thoughts on Tactics Drills (May Contain Solution Spoilers)

Oddly enough, 7 and 8 were my fastest clears---probably because they were the maps with the most rigid solutions, so the right move is obvious.

Edit: I did everything in numerical order, but from what I've seen most people were basically doing whatever?

Edited by DehNutCase

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I jumped around.  I'm going to let my subconscious puzzle it out.

I feel like I'm pretty close on 3, 4, and 8, but something-or-other is missing.  Especially 8.  Will re-attempt 5, 6, and 7 later.

1 hour ago, DLNarshen said:

It sure has succeeded in making me feel like a complete fool.  Azama, Wrys, Lucius, I hate you all.

i loved that challenge alot, because i use Azama myself quite alot, but i needed some time to figure it out

Finally got some time to sit down again and play these. After repeatedly running into a brick wall on the damn Cherche/Nowi/Takumi map, I tried the Echoes-themed one and beat it in only a few tries. That makes the two first and two last completed, but I just can't figure out the Takumi one; I haven't even really focused hard on any other challenge because I'm so hell-bent on beating it but I just can't do it. I'll never look down on Fortify Fliers again.

Edited by Thane

The concept is really cool, I like it because it pushes your strategizing to further levels, and it resembles typical tactics we do everyday.

I simply bombed on GM lol. The only one I consciously figured out was 2, the rest, except infernal ones were all cleared through guides because, screw it, 00am is really tough for strategizing.

I managed to beat all the maps for the first two levels of this mode before moving onto the GM maps. So far, I've managed to beat the first two maps. The second one kicked my butt for a little bit, but I thought it was really fun actually. I've also attempted the 3rd and the 6th map, but no luck in beating them yet. Gonna keep trying. I was really confused on the third map when I tried to use Cherche, and she didn't double any of the enemies with her Brave Axe. Not my Cherche. RIP. XD

These maps at least give me a new appreciation for f2p strategies.

After the shock of getting to 5% last night looking for Cordelia, I got around to finishing the last of the grandmaster stages. 

All in all very satisfying to beat. I felt like the very specific solutions lent to more of a trial and error play than actual tactics, but I digress.

On 7/10/2018 at 10:37 AM, Thane said:

Finally got some time to sit down again and play these. After repeatedly running into a brick wall on the damn Cherche/Nowi/Takumi map, I tried the Echoes-themed one and beat it in only a few tries. That makes the two first and two last completed, but I just can't figure out the Takumi one; I haven't even really focused hard on any other challenge because I'm so hell-bent on beating it but I just can't do it. I'll never look down on Fortify Fliers again.

I'm the opposite - Takumi's map was doable, stuck on the Echoes one.  I can give some vague hints via PM if you're interested.

I finally cleared them all, no guides, I will just say GM 3 was the worst, the solution only served to make me feel stupid.

Edited by thecrimsonflash

6 hours ago, eclipse said:

I'm the opposite - Takumi's map was doable, stuck on the Echoes one.  I can give some vague hints via PM if you're interested.

Thanks a lot my friend, but I think I'll want to beat this on my own. I appreciate the offer though.

It still feels a bit strange that Chroms map was the most difficult for me. 
I found the last 2 map the easiest, because they were like a red string through and the explanation was much. On Chroms map I just had been stuck on a false Idea and it makes me a bit sad that I needed a little hint.

So I hope that we will get GM every 2 weeks and not randomly. Somehow I can't wait for the next. xD It is a pretty entertaining mode. And I also think it is not for nothing. At least I think those of us who struggled with A.I. manipulation and foresight can learn a few things there. But don't know if it is only just my thought.

Didn't know we'd get more maps. I certainly imagined this mode would get updates in times, but don't recall the game mentioning the possibility. Is there an update schedule we can look forward to, like with the Blessed Gardens?

24 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Didn't know we'd get more maps. I certainly imagined this mode would get updates in times, but don't recall the game mentioning the possibility. Is there an update schedule we can look forward to, like with the Blessed Gardens?

Yes, it's every Thursday.

I liked the new Ploy map. First try, but still a bit harder being a later skill map.

5/8 Grandmaster so far. 4-6 are still missing and I already banged my head against 4+5. The Healer map can go die in a fire. 

1 hour ago, Marston said:

5/8 Grandmaster so far. 4-6 are still missing and I already banged my head against 4+5. The Healer map can go die in a fire. 

Same here, though that's funny, I think Chrom's map seems harder. So. Many. Enemies.

On 7/10/2018 at 1:13 AM, DehNutCase said:

Oddly enough, 7 and 8 were my fastest clears---probably because they were the maps with the most rigid solutions, so the right move is obvious.

Edit: I did everything in numerical order, but from what I've seen most people were basically doing whatever?

I started in numerical order, but if I got stuck on one map for more than a few tries, I moved on to the next one. If I got to the last uncompleted one on the list, I'd just cycle back to the start. Helped me clear my mind and not get stuck in just one way of approaching the map, which resulted in a cascade of just having a brain wave that let me essentially win four in a row a few days ago. I recommend anyone still stuck give that approach a try.

I feel like my thoughts on these maps are constantly changing now. Actually beating a GM map is incredibly rewarding...but managing to do it is another story. Yesterday, I beat the healer map, but after probably about 4 hours total of completely failing I decided to cheat and check to see if my opening moves were correct since I had changed them multiple times. 

>.> It's so infuriating to feel like you were doing it right except for some positioning at the end only to realize basically everything was wrong from the start. And after actually beating it, it didn't feel nearly as rewarding since I had to cheat. Ugh... I'm incredibly disappointed in myself.

8 hours ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

I feel like my thoughts on these maps are constantly changing now. Actually beating a GM map is incredibly rewarding...but managing to do it is another story. Yesterday, I beat the healer map, but after probably about 4 hours total of completely failing I decided to cheat and check to see if my opening moves were correct since I had changed them multiple times. 

>.> It's so infuriating to feel like you were doing it right except for some positioning at the end only to realize basically everything was wrong from the start. And after actually beating it, it didn't feel nearly as rewarding since I had to cheat. Ugh... I'm incredibly disappointed in myself.

Yeah, I think the problem with my remaining maps is that it's impossible to tell if you're on the right track or not. There are so many variables to keep track of. Maybe the opening was correct but I needed to move one unit one tile differently in the middle which caused everything to fall apart - I wouldn't know if my opening was the right one or not.