Fire Emblem Board Game

Jazzman

Spoiler

So. As the title says, I have been thinking about making a Fire Emblem Board Game. I feel Fire Emblem would translate excellently into a board game format. I'd also like to use it to get people interested in the franchise.

Board(s):

A 20x20 grid of 2"x2" squares.

Different terrains (Mountains, Forests, etc.) depending on the map

3 different maps with different layouts

Rules and stuff:

Depending on how many people are playing, (up to four), you get a set amount of units:

2 players: 2 teams of 10 units

3 players: 3 teams of 6 units

4 players: 4 teams of 5 units

Stats:

Each unit, except the "Lord" unit, would have set stats. Players would role a die (six-sided), and the highest roller picks their first unit, and they go in a circle picking units until all unit quotas are filled.

The "Lord" unit's base stats would be determined by a six sided dice.  

All units start at 20 HP. Movement depends on the class of the unit.

Unit Stats:

Lord: HP: 20 (TBD) Mov: 5

Fighter: HP: 20 Pow: 5 Skl: 2 Spd: 4 Def: 2 Res: 0 Mov: 5

Mercenary: HP: 20 Pow: 4 Skl: 8 Spd: 8 Def: 4 Res: 0 Mov: 5

Archer: HP: 20 Pow: 4 Skl: 3 Spd: 3 Def: 3 Res: 0 Mov: 5

Knight: HP: 20  Pow: 5 Skl: 2 Spd: 0 Def: 9 Res: 0 Mov: 4

Cavalier: HP: 20  Pow: 5 Skl: 2 Spd: 5 Def: 6 Res: 0 Mov: 7

Peg. Knight: HP: 20 Pow: 4 Skl: 5 Spd: 5 Def: 3 Res: 2 Mov: 7

Cleric/Healer: HP: 20 Pow: 1 Skl: 2 Spd: 2 Def: 0 Res: 6 Mov: 5

Mage: HP: 20 Pow: 1 Skl: 2 Spd: 3 Def: 3 Res: 3 Mov: 5

Shaman: HP: 20 Pow: 2 Skl: 1 Spd: 2 Def: 2 Res: 4 Mov: 5

Monk: HP: 20 Pow: 1 Skl: 1 Spd: 2 Def: 1 Res: 5 Mov: 5

Leveling Up:

After a battle, a unit rolls either ONE 12-sided die, or, TWO six sided dice for experience, the number you roll being the amount of experience you earn. If you decide to use 2 six sided dice, and you roll doubles, you get the sum of the number, multiplied by two.

When a unit levels up, roll a six sided dice twice, to determine how many and what stats you will level up, HP will always be raised by one point, and movement will never change.

Max level for a unit is 10, and to keep the game simple, no master seals or reclassing.

Weapons and shops:

Each unit will start out with an iron weapon and a vulnerary, or one of the low level tomes for magic users.

Weapon Durability:

Iron/lvl. 1 tome: 15 uses

Steel/lvl. 2 tome: 10 uses

Silver/ lvl. 3 tome: 5 uses

Healing Staff: 10 uses

Vulnerary: 3 uses

Tomes:

Level 1 Tomes: Fire, Lightning, Shine, Flux

Level 2 Tomes: Elfire, Thunder, Divine, Luna

Level 3 Tomes: Arcfire, Thoron, Aura, Nosferatu

Weapon/Magic Triangle:

Swords beat Axes      Anima beats Light

Axes beat Lances     |    Light beats Dark

Lances Beat Swords|  Dark beats Anima

Shops:

Shops sell weapons, tomes, staffs, and vulneraries.

Costs:

Iron Weapons/lvl 1 tome: 50 Gold

Steel Weapons/lvl 2 tome: 100 Gold

Silver Weapons/ lvl 3 tome: 200 Gold

Healing Staff: 100 gold

Vulnerary: 50 Gold

Everybody starts out with 1000 gold

If you wipe out a team, you get their  remaining gold.

Battle:

Battle occurs between two units. Each unit takes their turn attacking. Once a unit dies, it is out of play for the rest of the game.

Damage is determined by the defense (for physical attacks) or resistance (for magic attacks) of the defending unit subtracted from the power of the attacking unit.

• Level 1 Weapons add 1 damage to the attack
  • Level 2 Weapons add 3 damage to the attack
  • Level 3 Weapons add 5 damage to the attack

The weapon damage is added AFTER the first damage calculation is completed.

If the speed of the attacking unit is 5 more than that of the defender, the attacking unit will attack twice

To determine if a hit lands or not, the attacker will roll a 12 sided die, and if he rolls the same as or lower than his skill, his attack will land.

To determine if a hit is critical or not, the attacker will roll two six sided dice, and if the sum is equal to the attackers skill or higher, the hit is critical. The hit is also critical if doubles are rolled.

Critical hits deal three times the damage of a normal hit.

Wiping out other teams:

There are 3 ways to wipe out an opposing team:

• Kill their Lord unit
  • Wipe out ALL of their units
  • Seize their base

When you wipe out a team, you get their gold.

To seize a base, place your Lord unit on it.

When you kill a unit, you can choose to take their weapon.

Victory occurs when only one team is left standing.

Please feel free to give me recommendations!

First of all, I wasn't sure where to put this topic so I am putting it here.  I know it isn't a ROM hack or a fan game, but I feel it still falls under Fan Projects. 

Once I have some progress to show, I'll begin to post some pictures!

Edited by Jazzman

Ohhh, I love board games, this is awesome!! :lol: very detailed and well thought-out, I specially like how the aspect of money is being handled.

I have some doubts and questions, though:

Damage is determined by the defense (for physical attacks) or resistance (for magic attacks) of the defending unit subtracted from the power of the attacking unit.

• Level 1 Weapons add 1 damage to the attack
  • Level 2 Weapons add 3 damage to the attack
  • Level 3 Weapons add 5 damage to the attack

The weapon damage is added AFTER the first damage calculation is completed.

What I understood (sorry if I got it wrong), is that, let's say the attacking unit has 6 of power, and the defending unit has 4 of defense; then substracting 4 from 6 would leave us with 2 points of damage taken, plus the damage added by the weapon level. But the unit stats for Power, Defense and Resistance you provided were these:

4 hours ago, Jazzman said:

Unit Stats:

Lord: HP: 20 (TBD) Mov: 5

Fighter: Pow: 5 Def: 2 Res: 0

Mercenary: Pow: 4 Def: 4 Res: 0

Archer: Pow: 4 Def: 3 Res: 0

Knight: Pow: 5 Def: 9 Res: 0

Cavalier: Pow: 5 Def: 6 Res: 0

Peg. Knight: Pow: 4 Def: 3 Res: 2

Cleric/Healer: Pow: 1 Def: 0 Res: 6

Mage: Pow: 1 Def: 3 Res: 3

Shaman: Pow: 2 Def: 2 Res: 4

Monk: Pow: 1 Def: 1 Res: 5

So at the beginning (and mostly consistently if we are to assume everyone will be leveling up as the game keeps on going), nobody will be able to lay a finger on the Knight and Cavalier units, not even the same type of unit :>_<: since their Pow is less than their Def. The only units that could do damage to them would be Mage, Shaman and Cleric, but they would barely scratch their armors when they can only make so little damage, and they would get killed by these very same Knight and Cavalier units before doing anything else. They can also double on the knight for little damage still, and definitely not double on the Cavalier.

I know these are just the stats they'll have at the beginning until they can start leveling up, but that always says and determines a lot about the course of a game :(: and the units people will pick at the beginning could give them a great advantage since the start. Not to mention how hard it would be leveling up the mage/shaman/cleric units without them dying in battle first.

Also, about the leveling up, if it's not too much of a bother, could you please explain that a little bit more? It says you level up after gaining a certain amount of experience determined by a dice, but it doesn't say the amount of experience required to get to the next level. And about the stats, I didn't get how that would work with the dice :>_<:, sorry.

Lastly, a suggestion! It seems that while playing, one would have to roll the dice very frequently in direct sequence: to move the unit, then to determine if the attack lands, then to determine if it's a critical, then to determine the amount of exp gained, then to determine how many stats go up and how much (I still don't have this one clear). I understand these are things that can't be determined in any other way in a board game, but maybe instead of being able to make criticals (which are really powerful and could make the game end very quickly) in every opportunity, why not have like a card or something you obtain that would represent "a chance to make a critical", it would expire after one use that would permit you to roll the dice for a critical in battle, it could be something you could accumulate while being sort of limited in order to make the game more durable and enjoyable. Just a suggestion, of course!

-----

Anyway, sorry for the lengthy post, I fully support this and will be waiting for the photos :lol:!!

22 hours ago, Chopper... said:

So at the beginning (and mostly consistently if we are to assume everyone will be leveling up as the game keeps on going), nobody will be able to lay a finger on the Knight and Cavalier units, not even the same type of unit :>_<: since their Pow is less than their Def. The only units that could do damage to them would be Mage, Shaman and Cleric, but they would barely scratch their armors when they can only make so little damage, and they would get killed by these very same Knight and Cavalier units before doing anything else. They can also double on the knight for little damage still, and definitely not double on the Cavalier

Hmm... I used base class stats from FE8 to make these. I understand what You're saying though. I'll lower the defense on both of these units to make them less overpowered! Thanks for pointing that out.

The stats from the games assume that the weapons have might. If you want your weapons to have 0 might you'll have to add more power to everyone. Maybe make it so that myrmidons and thieves can deal no damage to knights but mercenaries can deal scratch damage?

• 3 weeks later...

I've finally came up with a name for the game, as well as those stat changes I promised. If any of Y'all want a PDF copy of the rule book, just PM me, and I'll send it to you.

Title:

Spoiler

Fire Emblem: In Tabula Ludum

Stat Changes:

Spoiler

Lord: HP: 20 Pow: 5 Skl: 6 Spd: 7 Def: 4 Res: 0 Mov: 5

I decided to give the Lord set stats instead of the more unsure method I had earlier, just to make sure that games didn't end too quickly because somebody got an extremely over/underpowered Lord unit.

Knight: HP: 20  Pow: 5 Skl: 2 Spd: 0 Def: 4 Res: 0 Mov: 4

Cavalier: HP: 20  Pow: 5 Skl: 2 Spd: 5 Def: 3 Res: 0 Mov: 7

Edited by Jazzman

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Championdonut23 said:

Maybe if you had a mercenary system where you could have taverns and can pay to use special units for a certain amount of time.

That is an interesting idea, I'll probably do it as a pay per turn thing. (Pay X gold at the beginning of each turn to use the unit)