Who has the "best art"?

indigoasis

33 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Is this a “bash Miyuu, Ueda, and Pikomaro” thread in disguise? Because it’d be better if it wasn’t.

Ueda isn't bad. It's just that their style doesn't fit Cordelia but Hinata and Oboro look pretty good. F!Robin is a bit more debatable but she looks alright to me.

Pikomaro only has Lloyd as the "bad" one, Charlotte and Wrys look perfect in my eyes.

Miyuu...I can't like them all, ok. Although I certainly like Eliwood/Athena more than M!Kana, he's the only one I'd say is awful but that's just me, I know there's a lot of people that find that art cute.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

Although I certainly like Eliwood/Athena more than M!Kana, he's the only one I'd say is awful but that's just me, I know there's a lot of people that find that art cute.

Kana isn’t even drawn by Miyuu. He is drawn by kawasumi who also drew Gray. You may be confusing with girl Kana… who wasn’t drawn by Miyuu either, but rather by Sakura Miwabe, along with Est, Lachesis, Mist, and Delthea.

It’s more that any “your favourite…” thread quickly turns around and becomes a “bash your unfavourite” thread instead, especially with a fanbase this massive and volatile.

Edited by Vaximillian

1 minute ago, Vaximillian said:

Kana isn’t even drawn by Miyuu. He is drawn by kawasumi who also drew Gray. You may be confusing with girl Kana… who wasn’t drawn by Miyuu either, but rather by Sakura Miwabe, along with Est, Lachesis, Mist, and Delthea.

I know. I was just saying that in terms of what I find bad, nothing tops M!Kana.

14 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

How is he bad though?

I'll preface by saying it's my opinion so I'm just talking for myself and nothing I say is remotely objective.

For starters his eyes are too big, in his default pose his face looks chubby while having a skinny body which makes it jarring and due to how the light works in his special art it makes him look menacing to the point of being creepy. There's also something about the hair that rubs me the wrong way, but that's more of a nitpick.

Edited by Alexmender

10 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

I'll preface by saying it's my opinion so I'm just talking for myself and nothing I say is remotely objective.

For starters his eyes are too big, in his default pose his face looks chubby while having a skinny body which makes it jarring and due to how the light works in his special art it makes him look menacing to the point of being creepy. There's also something about the hair that rubs me the wrong way, but that's more of a nitpick.

I find spiders cute and it seems most people don't share my opinion, so I can see where you're coming from when you mention those things, even if I don't share the resulting overall opinion.

I really like Sencha's art. Her Bride!Tharja looks gorgeous. Then there's Tobi of course and I do admit a weakness for Asatani Tomoyo's art.

Yura is most favorite. Clarisse is simply stunning

Shout outs to Ippei as well. I don't know how it is for other artists, but I find Ippei to draw and color really fast as he often mentions how much time is spent on his works. Granted, mugshots are minimalistic compared to full body drawings, but taking only an hour to draw a highly detailed and beautiful minor FE4 boss is rather amazing

Edited by silveraura25

I don't know about "best art" because there are lots of good artists in FEH with each having their own charm. Also, I'd argue that there aren't any bad artists either, just that they need to do characters that compliment their styles well.

Wouldn't say I have a favorite art, but my favorite artists are Kaya8 and Tobi. Kaya8's style is simple, clean, and easy to look at and just overall adorable. Tobi's colors are pleasing to eyes and is just a very good style.

But WHEN WILL WE GET MORE UMIU GESO Some of the best art for cipher they've only done Christmas Lissa for Heroes

I think Haimura is pretty good. He did especially well on Deirdre and caught her in her essence. At least this is my opinion and I want to mention it.

Yamada Akihiko is a bit hit or miss for me, but I still think he is good. Zephiel looks pretty awesome and I would be interested how he would picture a female character. If they should decide to release Reina, he would be the choice in my opinion.

Cuboon is pretty solid, Lukas is caught well.

Sachiko Wada is my favourite. Her Marth, Brave Roy, Titania, Barst, Lyns...the only ones I'm not too keen on are Cherche's and Virion's, but that's probably due to the poses.

I really like Senri Kita's Brave Ike. I like how she drew his eyes, which is weird because I didn't like the eyes in the Tellius games...

Summer Leo, both Tana, Seliph, Deirdre, Summer Camilla, Male Robin, Exalt Chrom, Abel, Jeorge, Maria, Minerva, Michalis, Luke, Bride Caeda, Ninian, Spring Catria, Lene, Klein, both Ephraims and Eirikas, Felicia, Elise...god, they all have gorgeous artwork.

Both Ephraims have consistently good art, as does any character done by Asatani Tomoyo. Amagaitaro's recent artworks, especially Myrrh and Flying Nino look really good as well. Special mention to all of Wada's art, especially the GBA characters. I hope she does Eliwood at some point.

Favorites

Nino - her damaged artwork, unlike so many others that are for fanservice, makes her look more determined than ever, sort of a "I may be hurt but I'm not giving up!" and I wish more damaged art was like that

Raven - I REALLY don't like Raven with an axe, but... he rocks it. His art fits his character so well, and he's one of the few "carrying a sword even though I don't use it" artworks that I really like. And him being an axe user actually makes him fit onto more of my teams better, he's one of my most-used characters, so that's not such a bad thing. 

Least Favorites

Eliwood - his original art is SO WEAK. It hurts me, because Eliwood is one of my favorite characters in the entire franchise. I don't know how to put my finger on it - his armor looks odd to me, his pose looks off, he just feels... like a weird, fuzzy reflection of his actual self, something that you can tell by looking at it "yeah, that's Eliwood," but at the same time makes you feel like "wait... something... isn't right here." Thankfully, his LA artwork is pretty nice. I'd love to see a new alt for Eliwood that's just on foot with the Rapier (a weapon that surprisingly still isn't in Heroes), with an artist who can better capture his character and his style from his original game.

Arthur - he just looks dumb to me, which maybe sorta fits (he's dumb, in an endearing way), but I just don't like it. I had fun with Arthur in Fates, but I always send him home for feathers immediately whenever I summon him in Heroes.

Every Single Fanservice-y Damaged Art - like I said above with Nino, I wish more characters took advantage of the damaged artwork to show determination, desperation, a resolve to stand firm no matter how bad things get, or just, like the art should, show more of who this character is when put under pressure. Instead, they're just "how much of this character's clothes can I rip off, and how 'sexy' of a pose can I give them, without it being out of bounds?" and I don't like that approach at all (also funny side note, swimsuit characters generally have the least amount of clothes-tearing, which clearly shows the objectives and the boundaries for the artists behind most damaged artworks... which actually isn't funny at all). 

Why the hell is it that we can't have a "best art" thread without everyone having to chime in about their least favorites?

What really irks me is the fact that of the four people that felt the need to mention their least favorites, three of those posts had a longer section for the least favorites than the favorites.

Can we please ditch the negativity for once? Seriously. (I know it's not quite that bad, but seriously, please.)

Edited by Ice Dragon

26 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Why the hell is it that we can't have a "best art" thread without everyone having to chime in about their least favorites?

What really irks me is the fact that of the four people that felt the need to mention their least favorites, three of those posts had a longer section for the least favorites than the favorites.

Can we please ditch the negativity for once? Seriously.

Allow me to politely provide my perspective. 

Listing more examples of disliked art is not the same as saying that the game has more bad art than good. In fact, aside from seasonals (which I would never like regardless of their art quality, and thus I refrain from judging their quality) the examples I mentioned are the only examples of bad artwork that I can think of.

Conversely, the game has such a large pool of great artwork that picking favorites off the top of my head is difficult for me. In a game with so much high quality art, true stand outs are rare. Michalis is my go to example of a character who, in my opinion, has always had some of the best, most detailed artwork in the game.

However, in the interest of fairness, I could look into other characters who I consider to have stand out artwork. Those are Bruno, Berkut, Ares, PA Azura, Boey, Knight Exalt Chrom, Deirdre, Dorcas, Eldigan, Legendary Ephraim, Legendary Hector, Hawkeye, both Hinokas, all Ikes, Jakob, Lene, Brave Lucina, Legendary Lyn, Legendary Ryoma, Sigurd, and Sothe.

See why I kept my list low? When I have that many that I would narrow down my favorites to, it becomes almost useless.

Edited by Etheus

Really tough to pick just the one for best art haha. Some of my personal favourites (In no particular order):

Female Grima Robin, Tana (Both), PA! Azura, Ishtar, Ayra, Legendary Lyn, PA! Olivia, Nephenee, Bride Cordelia, Bride/Winter Tharja, Summer Robin, Micaiah & Reinhardt (WT).

50 minutes ago, Etheus said:

See why I kept my list low? When I have that many that I would narrow down my favorites to, it becomes almost useless.

You could have just listed your favorites, like what this thread is supposed to be about, and left it at that. Regardless of the length of your list of likes, the simple fact that a list of dislikes is longer than zero in this thread is what I take issue with. The fact that more space is being wasted on negativity than spent on positivity is just the rotten icing on that rotten cake.

We literally have a post that lists a single character with zero explanation, and I prefer seeing that over seeing another list of dislikes.

I'm honestly glad someone made a topic that's specifically for talking about the best art in the game as opposed to a "best and worst" thread.

34 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

You could have just listed your favorites, like what this thread is supposed to be about, and left it at that. Regardless of the length of your list of likes, the simple fact that a list of dislikes is longer than zero in this thread is what I take issue with. The fact that more space is being wasted on negativity than spent on positivity is just the rotten icing on that rotten cake.

We literally have a post that lists a single character with zero explanation, and I prefer seeing that over seeing another list of dislikes.

I'm honestly glad someone made a topic that's specifically for talking about the best art in the game as opposed to a "best and worst" thread.

We'll just have to agree to politely disagree on this one.

Good art cannot exist without the context bad art.

Negativity is not an evil and can be constructive. With the knowledge of which art is perceived as "bad art" by some consensus, IS knows which characters, if any, could receive a popularity boost with an art revision, should they ever decide to do so. Conversely, and more likely, they are informed as to which art styles to avoid in the future. It is noteworthy that no new characters resembling Hector or Eliwood's artsyle have been released. This is a positive thing when handled with tact and respect.

Edited by Etheus

I don't think I have a specific favorite, but Brave Boy and Sakura are probably the cutest, I love the damaged sprite of L'Ephraim and Lilina for smiling/being absolutely ticked off, and overall it's just great seeing older units getting some new art, like Lyon.

5 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Good art cannot exist without the context bad art.

This isn't a thread about "good art" and "bad art". It's a thread about "the best art".

"The best" exists as long as a second best exists. It doesn't matter how many more things exist below that, and it doesn't require the existence of at least one "good" and at least one "bad".

8 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Negativity is not an evil and can be constructive.

Negativity is definitely off-topic, though. Just like this argument.

And it's not that negativity is "evil and unconstructive", the problem is that it's gotten to the point where it's just "Yup, Lloyd got mentioned again. Check. Yup, Eliwood got mentioned again. Check. Oh, Rebecca didn't get mentioned?" It's stale and boring and the same list every time and a much less interesting read than what people like, why they like them, what particular details make or break the piece, and what features people prioritize or prefer over others.

Oz's single-word response says a great deal without the need for a wordy explanation, even if much of it is technically ambiguous and simply assumed and filled in by the reader. Even Alexmender's explanation of what pushes him away from Kana's art was an interesting read, even if it was all criticism.

There are so many "good" pieces of art in this game that even a short listing of just a few without explanation is telling of what sorts of the things the posters like about them because I'm sure many of those posters had to painstakingly shorten a giant list just like you and I both did.

For art that just fits a character so goddamn well, I'll have to give it to Arthur. He looks like a comic book character (depending on what comics your reading) and it fits him SO well.