Second Seal Mechanic?

RookofSpades

So I've been thinking for awhile now about a project I wanna work on, and I've been considering using either FE 7 or FE 8 (Not sure yet which I'd prefer as a base.) I've got much of the story and I've written up much of my plans for the units and class plans I have for them.

I decided I wanted to have units use Personal Skills and I also wanted to do Class Skills one for the Base Class, one for Level 10 of that class, and one final skill for the promotion class. So I've been considering how I want the promotion system to work exactly, and I've been considering utilizing Second Seals for units to access alternate classes. However I was considering the feasibility of having Second Seal Classes utilizing slightly different Base Stats by incorporating a unit's base class.

An example would be let's say you have a F!Mage which promotes to a Sage or Mage Knight normally. Let's say using a Second Seal the F!Mage could promote to a Harrier which is a hypothetical promotion of a Pegasus Knight that uses Anima Magic and Lances. Using the Base Stats from Sacred Stones for this example.

Class HP S/M Skl Spd Lck Def Res
Pegasus Knight 65 35 / 5 40 40 35 15 35
Mage (F) 55 0 / 55 40 35 20 5 40

In my project I intend for Magic and Strength to be a separate growth rate. Pegasus Knights will have a 5 in Magic and Mage's will have a 0 in Strength.

The hypothetical Harrier class has the following growth rates in this example. However below it is the average of the two above classes in the event that the F!Mage uses a Second Seal.

Class HP S/M Skl Spd Lck Def Res
Harrier (Normal) 65 35 / 35 40 40 35 15 35
Harrier (Second Seal) 65 35 / 55 40 40 35 15 40

I always felt it strange that there wasn't much carry over of the growth rates from the origin class, and I felt like this would make for more interesting builds. In this example the Harrier has a better Magic Growth which makes more sense anyway since it'd be originating from a Magic Class rather than a Physical Class. So I guess I wonder what others would think of this as a mechanic, the Second Seal would be a somewhat rare item since obviously in most cases a Second Seal class would turn out better than a normal promotion into that class. It might be unbalanced or maybe it'd prove too difficult to implement, but I'd love other thoughts on this idea and concept. (Maybe something similar already exists.) I've also considered doing something similar with the Base Stats, but doing one or the other might be better, though perhaps both is the best scenario in that case too.

11 hours ago, Agro said:

If you want skills then it'll have to be FE8 as there is no public, working skill system for FE7

I don't imagine it'd be impossible to develop one for FE7 though it'd likely be best and save me time to simply use the one from FE8. So you'd likely be right in that regard. I'm still doing research on this overall, and how implementing this would go, but I do appreciate the feedback. (I also realize I might have been better served putting this in the half-baked ideas thread since obviously this one isn't fully idealized, and I'm far from tackling it quite yet.) But I'll leave this for now since I noticed that the ideas there don't always get feedback and I like hearing thoughts when I have these ideas.

you could always try making a second seal make say a paladin be able to turn into a Knight or a cavalier and make it so that only the second seal can do this, although I am by no means an expert but this should be able to be implemented into fe8 with relative ease