What's your opinion of buying orbs?

Buying orbs  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever bought orbs?

• yes
    • no
  2. 2. How much money have you spent yet? (in US-$)

• < 50
    • 50-99
    • 100-199
    • =>200
    • I don't know
    • I don't want to share
  3. 3. What's your opinion of the price?

• cheap
    • fair
    • expensive
    • way too expensive
  4. 4. Do you think it was worth to buy orbs?

• yes, I got a lot of new units
    • yes, I could get a lot of feathers by trading summoned units into them
    • yes, I got a lot of copies I could merge
    • It was not bad, but less than I expected
    • It was a waste of money
    • I haven't bought yet
  5. 5. Do you consider spending money as cheating in some way?

• yes, because you avoid getting the orbs by fulfilling all quests
    • yes, because you get a huge advantage in arena
    • no, because it's the purpose of a gacha game
    • I don't know

no I have yet to spend anything on this game, even though I want tiki emblem, I can wait.

$0, I am an FTP god.

I think the price is fair enough, they give out plenty of free orbs so I can't complain being the leech I am.

Having never bought orbs I will give my observation, it depends on your priorities, if you only care about having your favorites (me) then you really don't need to buy, if you want to make the best of your favorites then buying orbs is a must.

I wouldn't call purchasing orbs cheating, I consider not purchasing orbs to be handicapping yourself, then again I main zelda in smash bros, so I am perpetually in a wheelchair in a foot race in all that I do.

Edited by thecrimsonflash
hail spellcheck

I would never buy orbs, there’s no guarantee I’ll get my money’s worth. I did buy a Black Knight because I didn’t have him, and might buy a similar deal in the future.

Spending money for more gambles might be a waste, but it’s certainly not cheating.

When I did spend money, it was nice getting certain 5-star units. But, I dunno, I feel like after you spent your orbs that you earned and get a 5-star, it just feels more rewarding... Am I the only one like that? 

2 hours ago, ZeManaphy said:

When I did spend money, it was nice getting certain 5-star units. But, I dunno, I feel like after you spent your orbs that you earned and get a 5-star, it just feels more rewarding... Am I the only one like that? 

Depends how you see it. Some people say that, but then my money doesn't magically appear... so I earn those orbs a different way if I purchase them, so I'm still getting the 5* with orbs that I earned, and when I get the 5* I wanted, I feel the same amount of reward whether I put money into it or not. I got the unit I wanted - I don't care if they were purchased or free ^.^ 

The only time microtransactions/lootboxes become a problem is when it becomes a necessity to play or enjoy the game. For example, the Star Wars: Battlefront controversy.

You get plenty of free orbs ingame, and while buying some can give you the advantage in the arena, it's only really necessary if you want to be in the highest tier. (I'm F2P and I've been able to stay around tiers 16-18 without too much effort.) The arena is optional anyway and FTP players can get through the main story just fine.

But like I said before, I'm not going to pay money for a chance at getting something I want, but I'd consider buyingif it was a guaranteed thing like BK. If other people want to buy orbs then I'm fine with it.

I’ve spent $60 in total and got 5* Roderick and 5* Abel (one in 2017 and one in 2018) with that, so I’m not touching the Purchase Orbs page anymore. All of my other units have been free orbs.

I spent $50 on orbs once. But in my defense it was an iTunes gift card that someone got me as a gift! XD And I got 2 F!Morgan from it (plus like 3 other blue 5* and Horse!Chrom). But would I actually spend MY money on it? No.

It was funny though because the moment I bought orbs I suddenly got ALL these 5* like never before. It was as if the game knew I had spent money for orbs for the first time and tried to entice me to buy more. And ALSO, because I bought orbs on F!Morgan's intro banner, I've spent about 200+ orbs since on her subsequent banners and NEVER gotten her. And I've never NOT gotten a focus unit that I want, so I swear the game knows somehow.

But yeah, if the game was gonna be there forever and ever, I might consider buying it, but I know like all mobile games it will eventually fall away (Tales of Rays anyone?). So I don't spend my  own money, but won't hesitate to use gifts on it. But I hope people keep buying orbs, because that's what keeps the game going and making them money to keep it up and running, so while I may be F2P, I hope other people continue to whale. XD I just ask I get F!Morgan again...

I'm personally never going to set foot in the orb shop. I see it as a potential start of a slippery slope I want no part in. Gacha games encourage gambling instinct so the sensible thing is to keep your cash away from it. Its the randomness of gacha's that makes me very hesitant to spend actual money on them. I may lack discipline and self control but I'd like to get something when I foolishly spend money. When buying orbs this isn't the case. Buying orbs wouldn't have allowed me to get Hector, it would have given me the small chance of getting Hector. If I buy 200 orbs only to get no one I wanted then the money I spend is pretty much wasted. 

The orbs also seem rather expensive and because of the high number of orbs required for pulls you can run out of your bought orbs too quickly for my liking.

But that's just my stance when it comes to my own personal wallet. Anyone else is free to do whatever they want with their own wallets. 

13 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Buying orbs wouldn't have allowed me to get Hector, it would have given me the small chance of getting Hector. If I buy 200 orbs only to get no one I wanted then the money I spend is pretty much wasted. 

200 orbs would have given you a minimum of 60% chance of getting Legendary Hector, which is hardly a "small chance", but is obviously nowhere near reliable.

Spoiler

200 orbs is 40 pulls if you get insanely unlucky and never get more than 1 green umbrella in a single summoning session.

The probability that you get no green umbrellas in a single summoning session is 36% at base rate, meaning you're most likely to have 25 green umbrellas total (rounded down).

The probability that you get no Hectors in 25 green umbrellas at base rate is 40% (rounded up).

30 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

200 orbs would have given you a minimum of 60% chance of getting Legendary Hector, which is hardly a "small chance", but is obviously nowhere near reliable.

Reveal hidden contents

200 orbs is 40 pulls if you get insanely unlucky and never get more than 1 green umbrella in a single summoning session.

The probability that you get no green umbrellas in a single summoning session is 36% at base rate, meaning you're most likely to have 25 green umbrellas total (rounded down).

The probability that you get no Hectors in 25 green umbrellas at base rate is 40% (rounded up).

Considering I had 200 (unbought) orbs and didn't get Hector once those orbs were all spend I certainly don't consider it reliable :^_^:

Purchasing Orbs is not cheap, unless they are offering some sale where you can get them at a fair price. But in my experience most of the time it's not worth it, it is just some extra token for the gacha lottery machine, and you can still lose with it. I did purchase orbs before, and I might buy in the future, but I will defineately kep it to a minimal.

Buying them is not cheating, it's a way to whales to grow even bigger yes, but you also support the developer team with it. It can be useful to get more orbs, but the game can be much enjoyed without purchasing too.

I have yet to spend a single cent on this game, but really appreciate others keeping it alive for me. Since my own financial situation isn't the best, I really would do well to keep it this way. That being said, I have plans to set some money aside for November, since this might be the last chance I have at ever getting an H!Sakura. 

Aside from top faves on the verge of potentially disappearing forever, I really don't want to spend money.

The first time I bought orbs I got what I wanted almost immediately. Got overconfident and did it again, only to get pitybroken twice, and it's a little scary to see how quickly the money spent just disappears. Not to mention the compulsion to just spend more of you don't get lucky.

My account is locked from buying orbs at the moment due to a communication error that IS doesn't seem to know how to fix, but maybe it's for the best.

Never bought orbs, never will. I've been playing since launch and I've gotten most of the characters I've tried for (and I like a lot of characters). If there were a character I loved and couldn't get otherwise, I might be tempted to directly purchase them but Gaccha is gambling which I don't partake in. If things don't go well in the game, at least time is the only thing I lost.

All game content is pretty doable with F2P resources so the only benefit to spending is getting optimal natures/merges and staying in Arena T20 (which doesn't offer much more rewards to get me to care).

Other people "getting ahead" by spending doesn't bother me in the slightest, as Arena tiers keep the whales in their own pools.

I'm pretty surprised that more people aren't F2P. It's a really friendly game for people who don't want to spend.

Edited by NekoKnight

On 7/14/2018 at 1:26 AM, Baldrick said:

I would never buy orbs, there’s no guarantee I’ll get my money’s worth. I did buy a Black Knight because I didn’t have him, and might buy a similar deal in the future.

Spending money for more gambles might be a waste, but it’s certainly not cheating.

this is what i did. I purchased the Black Knight kit (to GET the Black Knight). 

I figured after carefully saving my orbs for a month, and trying to get a Hector or a Celica and ending up all the bronze star Lon'qu's and Pallas (that's all I kept getting). i figured, i'm not spending anymore money. I think if there was something in place that prevented the duplicates (and I know you can get better stats, but still) then maybe. i figure. i'll wait for a banner i like, and then hope for the best.

5 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

this is what i did. I purchased the Black Knight kit (to GET the Black Knight). 

I figured after carefully saving my orbs for a month, and trying to get a Hector or a Celica and ending up all the bronze star Lon'qu's and Pallas (that's all I kept getting). i figured, i'm not spending anymore money. I think if there was something in place that prevented the duplicates (and I know you can get better stats, but still) then maybe. i figure. i'll wait for a banner i like, and then hope for the best.

They really need to buff up the three and four star summoning pool. There's so many second rate characters in the series that are never going to get in because the only way to add to the four star pool is to start off as a five star unit and get demoted. They should just add a bunch of new characters like Alec and Aran without making a big fanfare out of them, if only so we don't keep seeing the same six mugs every time we try to summon.

Yes, I've bought orbs before. I've bought a lot of orbs before. I sure as hell don't anymore, as I personally consider it throwing money into a shredder. But I would never consider spending money on a gacha game to be cheating, because that is literally the driving force of these games, and the only reason they exist.

I've spent about € 40 on orbs (the Black Knight pack, two monthly packs, and one 23 orbs pack). I used to be fully against buying orbs (only started buying a few months ago) cause I do think the price for them is way too high. However, I did feel like I should spend at least some money on the game as it has entertained me for more than a year now, so it's more than fair to pay for it imo.

And it was on banners with units I really wanted: Bride Ninian, Innes (on a legendary banner), and regular Hector from the last banner (cause I really want DC on Soleil).

I full on regret it though cause all of those orbs gained me exactly nothing. Not even good fodder. It was a literal waste of money and I sincerly hope I've been cured of wanting to spend more now (though I'm afraid I will again when beast units are finally announced :'( ).

On 14-7-2018 at 4:36 AM, thecrimsonflash said:

Having never bought orbs I will give my observation, it depends on your priorities, if you only care about having your favorites (me) then you really don't need to buy, if you want to make the best of your favorites then buying orbs is a must.

It's exactly the other way around for me though, I hardly have any problems giving my units good builds. Having loads of feathers to promote units with good skills is mostly enough for that. However, my luck on summoning the units I really want is absolutely horrific. Even on banners that last a month long I failed to get the units I wanted (e.g. P!Inigo, P!Azura, NY!Takumi, Bride Ninian) despite spending every single orb I got during that period on it. Hell, Innes has been on three banners so far which I spent all my orbs on and I still don't have him.

However, spending money hasn't helped me at all in that regard either, I just seem to have rotten luck either way ^^;