Who are you using Flashing Blade on?

Jotari

Most of my candidates for the Flashing Blade seal are myrmidons/sword Lords (Athena, Masked Marth, Ayra, Fir), with the exception of Raven.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the unit that shall receive the Flashing Blade seal, it’s most likely OG Lyn for me. She’s fast, especially under Brazen Atk/Spd 3 threshold, meaning she could upgrade her damage by using Luna or Iceberg over Moonbow. So eff. refined Sol Katti + Brazen Atk/Spd 3 + Wrath 3 + Luna/Iceberg + Flashing Blade 3...

Well...my Mia has 50 speed already. So mostlikey her. Soren is another option as he has 47 speed(Ike buffs it up to 50) so either him. I'll swap it around between these two.

3 hours ago, Roflolxp54 said:

Glimmer is more useful on units that can score high damage numbers (Blade tomes, effective weapon users), especially against opponents with high HP.

For Blade mages, Glimmer is better in most cases, but depending on how much buffs you can practically stack and the types of enemies you are facing, Moonbow may still be a decent option.

For example, if you are only relying on 4/4/0/0 or 6/6/0/0 instead of the full 4/4/4/4 or 6/6/6/6, I think Moonbow is better against Res walls. Nino [+Spd, Life and Death, Speed +3, 4/4/0/0, cooldown precharge 3] cannot kill Wrys [+Res, Fortress Res, Fortress Res] with Glimmer, but she can kill him with Moonbow. However, if you are facing a Res wall, you might as well just use a physical unit and keep Glimmer on your Blade mage for better performance against other enemies.

6 hours ago, Humanoid said:

Most of the time, I read that neither Flashing nor Heavy Blade are worth all that much as A-skills, and you're better off using the seal versions. It's probably not all that likely you'd need more than one of each in a given team anyway.

Yeah, A slot Blade skills suck. They would be pretty decent if Life and Death, Swift Sparrow, and/or Fury are available as Sacred Seals though, but even then, players would just Spd stack their Sacred Seal Slot too, so Blade skills might still end up as second rate skills.

The only unit that would like it is Karla. I guess I'll change her special to Luna or Dragon Fang to make the most out of the seal. Mine is +Spd with Brazen Atk/Spd so she can reach stupid levels of Spd (60 Spd with 1 Drive Spd support) if the Brazen and Even Spd Wave are both active.

Heavy Blade and Flashing Blade are both terrible skills for the A slot because they compete for the slot with much stronger skills, like Life and Death, Swift Sparrow, Death Blow, Fury, Distant Counter, Steady Breath, and Warding Breath, among others.

My personal opinion is that there is always a better skill for the A slot than either of Heavy Blade or Flashing Blade.

As a quick example, on a unit with 40 Def, Heavy Blade + Ignis deals the same amount of damage as Fierce Stance + Bonfire with Fierce Stance having a slight advantage (2.4 damage) at weapon triangle advantage and Heavy Blade having a slight advantage (2.4 damage) at weapon triangle disadvantage. Furthermore, the Heavy Blade build doesn't work at all if the unit doesn't meet the Atk requirement for the match-up.

Heavy Blade and Flashing Blade are far better skills as Sacred Seals because the competition is far less fierce (none of the previously listed passive A skills are available as Sacred Seals) and is helped significantly by the restriction the players can only have one of each Sacred Seal (meaning that even if, say, Swift Sparrow ever gets to be a Sacred Seal, you can't just slap it on everyone you have simultaneously like you could potentially do with the passive A version).

I myself will only use the Flashing Blade seal on... Felicia and give her personal weapon a SPD refine. I think. I have made the experience that blade seals are very very bad when it comes putting them on the A Slot, you just loose out on too much stuff. Unless IS goes crazy and releases Fury/Life and Death/Brazen/Death Blow/Swift blow/Darting etc Seals.

1 hour ago, Hilda said:

Death Blow

I am not sure if Death Blow beats Heavy Blade/Quickened Pulse. I will test that out with Reinhardt in the calculator when I get home. Sounds pretty bonkers though with Bold Fighter armor units.

My Mia is +DEF, so I've actually found that keeping Flashing Blade on her A slot has been quite useful since I've been running Close Defense for her Seal, which has made her a surprisingly effective duelist. I don't have any other copies of her to give Flashing Blade to someone else, but even if I did, there's still the issue with A-slot competition.

For the actual Seal, I'm probably going to run it on Legendary Lyn. She's been hogging the Heavy Blade seal for quite a while now, but most of my other speedy units don't need its Speed equivalent much so it's most likely going to be going on her.

3 hours ago, XRay said:

I am not sure if Death Blow beats Heavy Blade/Quickened Pulse. I will test that out with Reinhardt in the calculator when I get home. Sounds pretty bonkers though with Bold Fighter armor units.

Heavy Blade and Quickened Pulse are worth exactly 1 Special charge when used on units that intend to hit exactly twice in a single round of combat.

As I previously mentioned, a unit with 40 Def gains

• 12 damage when upgrading from Bonfire to Heavy Blade + Ignis
  • 12 damage when upgrading from Bonfire to Death Blow + Bonfire
    • 14.4 damage at weapon triangle advantage
    • 9.6 damage at weapon triangle disadvantage

Slow Brave weapon users gain

• 12 damage when upgrading from no Special to Moonbow + Quickened Pulse against an opponent with 40 Res
  • 12 damage when upgrading from no Special to still no Special + Death Blow
Edited by Ice Dragon

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

Heavy Blade and Quickened Pulse are worth exactly 1 Special charge when used on units that intend to hit exactly twice in a single round of combat.

As I previously mentioned, a unit with 40 Def gains

• 12 damage when upgrading from Bonfire to Heavy Blade + Ignis
  • 12 damage when upgrading from Bonfire to Death Blow + Bonfire

Slow Brave weapon users gain

• 12 damage when upgrading from no Special to Moonbow + Quickened Pulse against an opponent with 40 Res
  • 12 damage when upgrading from no Special to still no Special + Death Blow

So they are both the same if the enemy has 40 Res? Since most enemies have less than 40 Res, I assume that means Death Blow is generally better? A little confused there.

Based on the calculator, this is what I got:

Reinhardt +10, +Atk, -HP
Dire Thunder, Moonbow
Death Blow
Enemies +10, +Res, Fury, Moonbow
Player Phase [Heavy Blade, 6/6/0/0] 206:27:35
Player Phase [Heavy Blade, 6/6/0/0, Enemies 3/3/3/3] 182:36:50
Player Phase [6+6/6/0/0] 216:23:29
Player Phase [6+6/6/0/0, Enemies 3/3/3/3] 186:32:50

Doing the regular old setup for consistency as well as a slight variation:

Reinhardt +Atk, -HP
Dire Thunder, Moonbow
Death Blow
Enemies +5, +Spd, Fury, Moonbow
Player Phase [Heavy Blade, 6/6/0/0] 222:21:25
Player Phase [6+6/6/0/0] 230:16:22
Enemies +5, +Res, Fury, Moonbow
Player Phase [Heavy Blade, 6/6/0/0] 200:29:39
Player Phase [6+6/6/0/0] 213:24:31

It seems Death Blow is a bit better as a Sacred Seal, which matches what I think you are implying?

1 hour ago, XRay said:

It seems Death Blow is a bit better as a Sacred Seal, which matches what I think you are implying?

Yep.

Death Blow (or Fierce Stance) is generally a better Sacred Seal for player phase than any Sacred Seal that lowers effective Special cooldown (without raising any other stats) unless the Special is scaling off of an incredibly high stat.

Here's pretty much all of the skills that matter. This assumes that the unit is capable of activating a Special once every two attacks, preferably in one round of combat.

• Moonbow + Death Blow is equal to Luna + Quickened Pulse at 60 enemy Def/Res. Moonbow is stronger lower than 60 Def/Res. Luna is stronger higher than 60 Def/Res.
  • Draconic Aura + Death Blow is equal to Dragon Fang + Quickened Pulse at 69 Atk. Draconic Aura is stronger lower than 69 Atk. Dragon Fang is stronger higher than 69 Atk.
  • Bonfire + Death Blow is equal to Ignis + Quickened Pulse at 40 Def. Bonfire is stronger lower than 40 Def. Ignis is stronger higher than 40 Def.
  • Iceberg + Death Blow is equal to Glacies + Quickened Pulse at 40 Res. Iceberg is stronger lower than 40 Res. Glacies is stronger higher than 40 Res.

And of course there's the fact that Death Blow doesn't get invalidated by Guard because neither build will get a Special to activate in one round of combat (though a Heavy Blade or Flashing Blade build would eventually get a Special off whereas Death Blow and Quickened Pulse will never get one off).

Quickened Pulse and other skills that lower effective cooldown, however, are obviously more powerful for builds that focus on instant Special activations.

6 hours ago, D4RTH said:

SF Nino

Flashing Blade cannot be used on fliers unfortunately. As a huge fan of Player Phase ranged units, I would go with Ishtar. Speed +3 works better if she is unbuffed, but with 4/4/0/0 buffs, Luna-Flashing Blade is better.

Ishtar +Spd -Res
Mjolnir
Desperation
Enemies +5, +Spd, Moonbow, Fury
Player Phase [Moonbow, Swift Sparrow, Speed +3] 214:23:21
Player Phase [Moonbow, Swift Sparrow, Speed +3, 4/4/0/0] 215:24:29
Player Phase [Luna, Flashing Blade, 0+4/0+4/0/0] 201:23:44
Player Phase [Luna, Flashing Blade, 4+4/4+4/0/0] 220:24:24

8 minutes ago, XRay said:

Flashing Blade cannot be used on fliers unfortunately. As a huge fan of Player Phase ranged units, I would go with Ishtar. Speed +3 works better if she is unbuffed, but with 4/4/0/0 buffs, Luna-Flashing Blade is better.

Ishtar +Spd -Res
Mjolnir
Desperation
Enemies +5, +Spd, Moonbow, Fury
Player Phase [Moonbow, Swift Sparrow, Speed +3] 214:23:21
Player Phase [Moonbow, Swift Sparrow, Speed +3, 4/4/0/0] 215:24:29
Player Phase [Luna, Flashing Blade, 0+4/0+4/0/0] 201:23:44
Player Phase [Luna, Flashing Blade, 4+4/4+4/0/0] 220:24:24

My bad. Completely forgot that SF Nino wouldn't be able to use it (Put that list together quickly).

As for those numbers, cheers for that. The team I currently have around her (Karla, Leg.Hector & NY Azura) should provide all the buffs she needs for destruction.

Really, Flashing Blade not being useable on cavs and fliers is silly. If Heavy Blade was too broken, you don't nerf it by nerfing another skill. Plus, as people pointed out, it's not that great to begin with compared to other A skills. Sticking it on cavs and fliers would actually increase it's viability. Plus it's just weird for two variations of the same skill to be class locked.

I think Leif and Kaze will share this seal since I don't have Karla.  I might use it on Ishtar if I need to for a map.  Kaze will probably use flashing blade most since he is on my main infantry team.

My +spd Leif

The next fastest infantry unit in my roster is a neutral speed Mia anyway. Maybe I'll give it to Lon'qu if I ever promote him to 5-star.