Something wrong with eyes

Theri

I spent an hour or two making this sprite (basically had to draw half of the hair myself, since it didn't look right) and my biggest issue is that his eyes look weird. I've tried everything to fix them, but I just can't get them to look, well, not creepy. I studied Canas for a while to see if I could sprite glasses correctly, and while I think it looks better than the last time I tried it, I think I could improve those as well. But right now my biggest problem is the eyes. They look kinda uncanny. Bigger pic added.

Lawrence until I fix his eyes.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 1.24.53 PM.png

Edited by Theri

there are a lot of things to be addressed before the glasses, tbh. i'd recommend you take the hair off and put it on a separate layer, then work on the empty face by itself so you can see everything. essentially speaking, glasses are done by muting the colors behind them. you're kind of close, but not really. what you want to do is keep the dark parts obvious, but then mute out the rest with lighter parts of the palette. instead, what you've ended up doing is just filling in the eyes entirely with that dark grey/purple. imo, best thing to do is use either skin tone or "white", then shade everything else out with one color lighter than what it used to be. ex: if the darkest is border color, use darkest skin tone, and ramp up from there. the lighter it looks, the better the effect without losing the detail. it's also more difficult because you picked rimless lenses, which you need to differentiate from the cheek using some second skin tone. you'll also need to blend out your actual glasses frames so it's not as stark.

image.png.0adae7ec7ebee90a5783c3420029baab.png greninjeta_01.png.bd70cacca3ba0fc314794f56c82cc940.png

here's an old as shit tut, as well

k00spritetips5.png.46de38c8330a7277a1f1856946521f23.png

Spoiler

cheat mode: put white on a separate layer, lower the opacity until it's where you want, then merge down and recolor it

Edited by Teapot

3 minutes ago, Teapot said:

there are a lot of things to be addressed before the glasses, tbh. i'd recommend you take the hair off and put it on a separate layer, then work on the empty face by itself so you can see everything. essentially speaking, glasses are done by muting the colors behind them. you're kind of close, but not really. what you want to do is keep the dark parts obvious, but then mute out the rest with lighter parts of the palette. instead, what you've ended up doing is just filling in the eyes entirely with that dark grey/purple. imo, best thing to do is use either skin tone or "white", then shade everything else out with one color lighter than what it used to be. ex: if the darkest is border color, use darkest skin tone, and ramp up from there. the lighter it looks, the better the effect without losing the detail. it's also more difficult because you picked rimless lenses, which you need to differentiate from the cheek using some second skin tone. you'll also need to blend out your actual glasses frames so it's not as stark.

image.png.0adae7ec7ebee90a5783c3420029baab.png greninjeta_01.png.bd70cacca3ba0fc314794f56c82cc940.png

here's an old as shit tut, as well

k00spritetips5.png.46de38c8330a7277a1f1856946521f23.png

Hide contents

cheat mode: put white on a separate layer, lower the opacity until it's where you want, then merge down and recolor it

Dude, you're like a genius. I was trying to take notes on how they changed the color around the monocle for Canas, but I just copied the same colors. I didn't really understand exactly how the lenses changed it.