Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Sire

Octopath Traveler

Recommended Posts

Considering that the previous topic is about a month old and is about the demo, I guess I'll just make a new one.

How is everyone doing thus far for Octopath Traveler? Right now I'm taking a break from finishing the rest of of my Chapter One storylines (Primrose and Alfyn) to grab a subclass or two for my main party (Olberic -> Apothecary, Tressa -> Thief, Cyrus -> ???, and Ophelia -> Dancer). I also managed to get Olberic an awesome sword from his Chapter 2 area which allows him to mow down enemies easily. Anything he can't cut down, Cyrus roasts with his magic.

I'm tempted to just jump into Chapter 2 of my main party and just go through their storylines, then go back to do the other ones with a different party. Olberic will likely remain since I think he is locked as he is my starter, but at least he may be able to carry the weaker party members.

Edited by Sire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started with Tressa then went Olberic, Cyrus, Primrose, Alfyn, and I'm now going for H'aanit. I haven't seen where to get the sub jobs yet, but I'm trying to figure it out for myself. The main party I'm using for now is Tressa, Olberic, Cyrus, and Alfyn. I dont think my party synergy is too great, but I've got Olberic tanking, Cyrus as my main damage dealer, with Tressa donating BP a lot and other support when necessary, and Alfyn as my healer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've read some of the reviews for this game. The big issue the timed demo had, no real interactions between the characters in the story, is still present and bites at it. How did they let this happen? 

Still, the gameplay has been getting a lot of praise, which is great to hear. I'm a gameplay >>>>> story person.

I'm not sure if I am willing to shell out $60 for it though. Although I doubt it'll come anytime soon, this game might need a price drop for me. Were it a 3DS game, I'd spring at full price possibly, but that idea is nixed on the pricier Switch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I've read some of the reviews for this game. The big issue the timed demo had, no real interactions between the characters in the story, is still present and bites at it. How did they let this happen? 

Still, the gameplay has been getting a lot of praise, which is great to hear. I'm a gameplay >>>>> story person.

I'm not sure if I am willing to shell out $60 for it though. Although I doubt it'll come anytime soon, this game might need a price drop for me. Were it a 3DS game, I'd spring at full price possibly, but that idea is nixed on the pricier Switch.

The developers decided to make 8 individual storylines with 1 for each of the characters as opposed to a story where all of their stories tie into each other. The game apparently also has skits similar to the Tales series where the characters have banter with one another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be getting the game likely when I get some Extra funds, nice to hear that all 8 have indivdual stories, but I guess we can't get on Seiken Densetsu 3's level in terms of interconnectivity, good to hear about the skits though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding the character interactions, from what I've played they are nothing major. They seem to start from the Chapter 2 storylines of each character and the interaction revolves around the current "story character" and another member of your party reacting to current events. This interaction is brief, optional, and has no effect on the storyline, but I find it better than no interaction at all. As these things are optional, there is no proper voiceovers.

For a specific example (Cyrus)...

Spoiler

In Chapter 2 of Cyrus' story, I got an interaction with Ophelia about how Cyrus is oblivious with women. This stems from Cyrus being ousted from the Academy in the first chapter and his colleague's reaction when he tells her the story. Cyrus says he is just speaking his mind when calling a beautiful lady beautiful, but Ophelia advises against it since they may get the wrong idea.

I wish I could find a way to replay the banter, but it seems like the replay scenes only function for the main storyline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been enjoying the game so far. Only 3 hours in, and so far I've beaten the first chapter for Ophilia and H'annit. I just got to the town that I believe Therion is in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been playing for more or less 6 hours and I've started with Primrose then recruited Olberic and just now Ophilia.

Game has been a lot of fun so far but I'm not sure how I feel about the bosses. They're really tanky and I the one I fought in Ophilia's story I had difficulty beating even though I was Lv. 10, which was 3 levels higher than the rec. level.

So far Primrose is my favorite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hekselka said:

I've been playing for more or less 6 hours and I've started with Primrose then recruited Olberic and just now Ophilia.

Game has been a lot of fun so far but I'm not sure how I feel about the bosses. They're really tanky and I the one I fought in Ophilia's story I had difficulty beating even though I was Lv. 10, which was 3 levels higher than the rec. level.

So far Primrose is my favorite.

I started with Ophilia, and of the 3 bosses I've fought so far, I thought hers was the most difficult. I had assumed it was because I was fighting alone and I was new to the game, but perhaps that boss battle is a difficult one in general. Of the three units I have, I'd say Therion>Ophilia>H'annit in terms of how interesting they are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Affinity said:

I started with Ophilia, and of the 3 bosses I've fought so far, I thought hers was the most difficult. I had assumed it was because I was fighting alone and I was new to the game, but perhaps that boss battle is a difficult one in general. Of the three units I have, I'd say Therion>Ophilia>H'annit in terms of how interesting they are.

Ah, so the boss isn't that much easier if you start with her. My biggest problem with the boss was that I could only kill one from those three respawning orbs before they destroyed themselves and thus in turn killing everyone except my knight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

Ah, so the boss isn't that much easier if you start with her. My biggest problem with the boss was that I could only kill one from those three respawning orbs before they destroyed themselves and thus in turn killing everyone except my knight.

From what I’ve heard from reviews the game is pretty hard and grinding can only do so much. If you want to go far you’ll have to really learn the battle system and how to build a good team for each boss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The game is pretty good so far. Got all the 8 protagonists assembled and I'm now fast-travelling between the towns to do some sidequests. Battles become a bit too frequent for my taste after you get a full party and it takes some time to rush through them. God bless, the Scholar class exists.

If anyone is having trouble with their party setup:

Spoiler

Therion and Cyrus are pretty much must-have characters in a party. Their talents are just that useful for both exploration and combat.

Therion is necessary for all the special chests and that alone makes him the prime choice for your protagonist. Thief is another incredible base class since a lot of enemies have worthwhile pick-ups. Skill-wise the debuffs are pretty good for boss fights and HP Thief is easily one of the best early skills to have.

On the other hand Cyrus' base class allows him to cover 3 magical weaknesses by himself and they are all AoE for a cheap cost, making battles that much faster. Heck, Study Foe and Analyze greatly speed up the process of elimination and allow you to gauge bosses properly which is amazing utility.

The other 2 spots should be taken by the 2 missing Path action counterparts, so Olberic or H'aanit for duels, Ophilia or Primrose for guiding people around.

Olberic vs H'aanit depends on your taste on gameplay. H'aanit needs good monsters to pull through fights which can make these 1vs1 duels much easier if you really focus on capturing those. Otherwise Olberic is probably better since you use him as a character.

Ophilia and Primrose imo don't have any big differences. Both classes have pretty awful weapons so they are reliant on having a good sub-class to patch that up. Cleric is obviously good for light coverage and healing but Dancer has the buffs and that random dance which can break the game in half if you get a good roll.

 

Edited by The Priest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't gotten it yet. However, I really like Ophilia, Tressa and Primrose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Modamy @The PriestAround what level should I shoot for the subclasses? I really wanted to do some stupid subclassing but I don't know what level I should be. My Main party members are around 17 while one of them is only 15, and my other party members are all around 8-9 while one of them is 13. My current party is: Therion, Primrose, Olberic, and Alphyn. 

Edited by Tuvy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tuvy said:

Around what level should I shoot for the subclasses? I really wanted to do some stupid subclassing but I don't know what level I should be. My Main party members are around 17 while one of them is only 15, and my other party members are all around 8-9 while one of them is 13. My current party is: Therion, Primrose, Olberic, and Alphyn. 

Spoiler

All the basic secondary jobs are in the 'next' area of the one a character started.
e.g. if you go from Atlasdam to Noblecourt you will quickly find the place to get the Scholar class. That means you probably should try to stick with the level recommendation which is around 17 for the easier-to-access ones. Some of them require you to traverse through multiple locations, meaning the level cap will be higher.

I would suggest that you gather the 2nd jobs asap because some of the boss fights pretty much require the flexibility they give to you.

 

Edited by The Priest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am now about 18 hours in.

Currently I'm focusing on my main party (Olberic, Tressa, Cyrus, and Ophelia), so poor Alfyn will have to wait to be recruited. I managed to clear chapter 2 of their storylines save for Ophelia. My current objective is running around to get all the subclasses as the flexibility (and the stat boosts) are helpful for Chapter 2 content. I must admit though, not having Therion along to open up the purple chests is a bit frustrating, but I am set on my main party.

My main difficulty is facing enemies and bosses that use magical attacks as my party gets wrecked by them. Also, when jumping into new areas, the difficulty spike without better equipment is definitely noticeable. In addition, navigation can sometimes be a pain. While areas tend to be linear with some branching paths to loot or dungeons, finding all the secrets can be difficult. Learning how to read the mini-map properly and focusing on the finer details of the world map helps, but I wish there was a more detailed mini-map for each area.

So far I am enjoying the game and love the main story as well as the small party interactions, but the encounter rate is starting to get to me. In lower level areas my party wipes the floor with enemies, but sometimes all I want to do is get to Point A from Point B and not bother with anything else. The only reason I try to fight some of these battles is to try and find a Cait and gamble with the Dancer skill Bewildering Grace for x100 EXP or JP.

Edited by Sire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Octopath Traveler more than an Attack-Attack-Heal RPG? Are there any interesting decisions in battle?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Zera said:

Is Octopath Traveler more than an Attack-Attack-Heal RPG? Are there any interesting decisions in battle?

I'm guessing your asking if you can brute force your way through the game? I haven't gotten anywhere close to the end, but the battle system thus far has a decent amount of depth. Each character has specific abilities tied to their class and some have abilities tied to them specifically, but they can also gain access to sub classes by exploring and finding the shrines for them in the world. While your limited to one character using each subclass this tweaks each character to now fit into a hybrid class with access to each class' abilities. You can make someone a dedicated tank that attracts all attacks toward them (except for aoe's), a healer, a mage, thief, a buffbot, or a jack-of-all-trades. Your even able to decide what abilities from each class you want to learn first and spend more for the others later on so you can pick whatever you find to be more valuable at the moment. The bosses in this game don't seem to be invulnerable to status ailments or debuffs so you can actual work with those kinds of abilities to maximize your damage or keep your party safe. It also has a system to let you stagger enemies when you hit them with their weakness enough times and an ability to build up a charge to attack multiple times, do more damage with spells or increase the length of statuses. I find the battle system allows you to play how you want, including brute force although I think that would make it a lot harder on the player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I managed to pick up right where I left off and am now on a tour around the starting area's to recruit people.

I really like the overworld abilities each characters have. Learning about how an old widow can't let go of a harpoon of her late husband with Alfyn and then stealing said Harpoon with Therion is something I can't do in a lot of rp's. Same thing with finding out how an old woman is actually a retired badass criminal or other amusing trivia.

The combat system is nice. Still a bit on the simple side, but I haven't gotten that far. So far the only thing i'm not a fan of is that the scaled up intro bosses are a bit high on hp. They aren't though, but they are damage sponges and it makes the fights drag a little.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got Cyrus and Tressa. Also gave Olberic a Hunter secondary job and Cyrus a Cleric so now I've got pretty much all weapons covered.

1 hour ago, Sasori said:

I managed to pick up right where I left off and am now on a tour around the starting area's to recruit people.

I really like the overworld abilities each characters have. Learning about how an old widow can't let go of a harpoon of her late husband with Alfyn and then stealing said Harpoon with Therion is something I can't do in a lot of rp's. Same thing with finding out how an old woman is actually a retired badass criminal or other amusing trivia.

The combat system is nice. Still a bit on the simple side, but I haven't gotten that far. So far the only thing i'm not a fan of is that the scaled up intro bosses are a bit high on hp. They aren't though, but they are damage sponges and it makes the fights drag a little.

Oh, I met that NPC a little while ago as well. I first tried to purchase the harpoon and when that didn't work I used Cyrus's skill to see her information and I really liked it when I saw that detail they put in the game. I don't have a thief yet but when I do I still won't try to take that harpoon, it would just make me feel bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Zera said:

Is Octopath Traveler more than an Attack-Attack-Heal RPG? Are there any interesting decisions in battle?

I guess if you mean "focus on offense and heal incoming damage" is the strat to go, then at its core I suppose Octopath is this way. However, what sets Octopath apart is the whole "Brave" and "Break" system. If you are familiar with Bravely Default, the Brave system works in a similar way (each turn the player gains a Brave Point that can be used to power up abilities and grant extra attacks). The Break system is for enemies, making the player use certain weapons or magic types to break through their defenses until they are broken. Broken enemies are stunned for a turn and take more damage. An important thing about the stun is that it interrupts the enemy action, so if they were preparing for a big attack, breaking them will stop them temporarily.

Most Normal battles can be easily cleared with AoE attacks, while boss battles rely more on strategy due to their higher HP pools,  minions, and some gimmicks. I find the main difficulty to be the chapter transitions as the party will normally need better equipment to fight stronger enemies. Once the party is equipped, battles become a breeze with boss battles presenting the main challenge.

I recommend to try the demo if you haven't yet to familiarize yourself with the combat system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spoiler

I'm now done with Chapter 2 of every character. My team looks like this:

Therion (Protagonist): Thief + Hunter
Olberic: Warrior + Apothecary
Cyrus: Scholar + Cleric
Primrose: Dancer + Merchant

Before I had H'aanit instead of Olberic since I wanted to go full rogue. However I changed her out for Olberic after finishing his chapter (which was the last one I did) because of 2 reason:

1. I find Provoke needs so much more effort compared to Challenge. You have to capture a lot of monsters with different types and the catching rate for the good monsters is almost as bad as catching Legendary Pokemons. I prefer the way Olberic's works because you use the character instead of relying on the summons, meaning you can properly prepare for the duels without having to grind random battles. Plus the level restriction is a good indicator if you're ready or not (though sometimes it can get in the way).

2. I noticed my party composition suffered a bit. Therion had the Apothecary job before while H'aanit occupied the Warrior. It made the former pretty bad during random encounters since he lacks AoE skills. Switching them around would have wasted 2 weapon slots (Hunter shares Axes with Apothecary, Thief Swords with Warrior).
With my new setup I have every weapon twice (minus staffs) in my team while Cyrus and Primrose cover the elements. Battles go so much more smoother.

So far this is a really good game. People complain about the lack of interaction between characters but I don't think they realize how absurdly complex it would get to implement so many possible interactions (having that character or not, how far they are in their story etc.). If anything the Travel banters are imo more than enough to convey that they are companions and do care about each other (though Therion really likes picking on Cyrus).

Now to proceed to Chapter 3.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So far i've beaten Therion and Alfyn's level 2 stories.

Therion's story was alright. I can see where things are going, but this was alright

Alfyn's chapter 2 surprised me. It was a very neat self contained story. I did know how it'd turn out, but I had a lot of fun with it. On the other hand the boss of the chapter was a bit of a chore. High hp minions, everyone on the enemies side knowing an AOE attack and them coming back for a round 2 started to get annoying.

Also heads up for people wanting to get all the party chats. It might be a good idea to change your party after every cutscene in town. They only have a short window where they appear so its easy to miss them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2018 at 7:27 PM, The Priest said:
  Hide contents

All the basic secondary jobs are in the 'next' area of the one a character started.
e.g. if you go from Atlasdam to Noblecourt you will quickly find the place to get the Scholar class. That means you probably should try to stick with the level recommendation which is around 17 for the easier-to-access ones. Some of them require you to traverse through multiple locations, meaning the level cap will be higher.

I would suggest that you gather the 2nd jobs asap because some of the boss fights pretty much require the flexibility they give to you.

 

Also are those job switching stuff well hidden? I walked from Atlasdam to Noblecourt, but the only dungeon I came across rewarded me with a Moonblade instead of a job switching chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...