Octopath Traveler

Sire

4 hours ago, Florete said:

You can't remove your starter from your team until you complete their entire story.

Yeah, that's a bad design choice. They call your first character the "main protagonist" yet the tavern restriction is the only thing main protagonisty about them in this game. Dunno why they thought it was a good idea.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I only got the game a few days ago, and I've only been able to play it for a few hours each day, and things aren't really hooking me yet.

After some thought, I chose to start with Ophilia, it was her or Cyrus who interested me the most. And after that, I decided to go clockwise in the rest of the recruitments- spelling out the word OCTOPATH in the process. So far I've made it to where Primrose is, although I haven't started her story yet, I'll do that in my next play session.

I know JRPGs can be slow to blossom, and once I get subjobs, it should get to be better. But right now, while the combat is okay, it isn't great. My bigger issue however is experiencing eight origin stories, I like the characters from what I've seen so far, but nothing storywise is really "moving", since I just keep starting anew, it has taken me seven hours to get as far as I have. It's become something of a boring pattern at this point- go to town, find character, trigger and complete their Chapter 1, move on to the next town.

I should keep playing for things to get better, but at the same time, I've got SMTIVA in my play log, which I feel like I want to spend my limited play time on as well. I'm maybe halfway in on that, I don't know exactly. It's a bit of the inverse of OT, I find the characters largely insufferable, but the gameplay is good and fast for a JRPG.

I was feeling this after all the chapters 1s, as they are all pretty slow paced. It got better from there. Ophilia's a decent character to have locked to your team, as I too wasn't aware you couldn't swap them out til you were done with all 4 of their chapters. Once you pick up subjobs, the scholar one in particular, she'll be able to take on a good offensive presence beyond healing.