1. 1. How Should We Buff Roy?

• Increase his growths by like 30%
    • Hey now, let's not be crazy, increase some growths by 10-15%
    • Growths suck. Give him +3 to all bases
    • EARLIER PROMOTION
    • Add a skill system and give him Charm
    • Give him a horse...Heroes did it
    • Replace him with Hector
    • Make him a RES tank (because he needs some niche, but he wouldn't be Roy if he didn't die to stray lances)
    • Make the Binding Blade even more OP
    • Give him even more support options (because there's still a lot of unfulfilled women in that game he can't marry)
    • Make him a dancer
    • 6 move as a lord

Imo he should stay bad in the beginning, so i would focus on making him better later. 

-he can level to 40 from the start.

-higer growths across the board.

- 2 or 3 point of might on the rapier, and maybe more hit too. This should give him some niche before the growths pick up.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple - give him a promotion item after Chapter 8.

Or if you think that's too early, then give it to him after Chapter 16. Just not right before the final chapter, please.

Semi-serious question, would it be considered a buff to Roy if we made Lilina the actual Lord character once she's recruited, but you're required to field Roy too like how Chrom has to be fielded but really Robin's the actual protag? If either dies you get the Game Over screen. I just noticed someone mentioned how Lilina makes more sense as the Lord, and was like what the heck, why not?

18 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Give Roy 6 move before promotion.

+1 movement is the promotion bonus Roy (and really anyone) misses the most while they wait to promote.

I like this one so much I'm going to add it to the poll.

On 7/15/2019 at 9:10 PM, SoulWeaver said:

Semi-serious question, would it be considered a buff to Roy if we made Lilina the actual Lord character once she's recruited, but you're required to field Roy too like how Chrom has to be fielded but really Robin's the actual protag? If either dies you get the Game Over screen. I just noticed someone mentioned how Lilina makes more sense as the Lord, and was like what the heck, why not?

I don't really see how this would make Roy any better. Could you please elaborate on this idea for me?

9 hours ago, Jotari said:

I like this one so much I'm going to add it to the poll.

I am a master of balancing.

I voted for my own idea and a few meme suggestions in the poll which everyone else has already voted on at this point.

Bases > Growths, but +3 is honestly really high and I think being a bad fighter is kind of the point of Roy- what you're supposed to do is drag his frilly butt to the throne, and that's part of the challenge of all these seize maps.

1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I don't really see how this would make Roy any better. Could you please elaborate on this idea for me?

Basically, the point made was that Lilina simply makes more sense as the Lord character. However, it's still Roy's game. By adding a separate character who would be a Lord character, and consequently able to Seize, the purpose of Roy is buffed but not altered - he remains an important character that can't/shouldn't just be ignored due to his Game Over risk and required fielding and is still somewhat shaky statwise, leaving his purpose unaltered, but the purpose as the Lord character is technically now buffed, since once Lilina gets her promote you can just pick Mage Knight and fix the ferrying problem, but like Robin she's not required, meaning if you like you can play the old-fashioned way simply by not fielding Lilina, like for the Chapters that don't have any Legendary Weapon Paralogues, but for Chapters where the Lord having solid Move is important you can field Lilina and have a better time getting the Turn Requirement taken care of.

Also to clarify, the question was 'would this technically be a buff?' If you're not seeing how this would be a buff, it probably isn't, answering the question.

I'm not a speed player, don't play hard mode very often, hardly use mounted units and enjoy focussing on units that need a lot of help getting stronger. For my playstyle, all Roy really needs is an earlier promotion. Once he hits the lvl 20 wall his usefulness starts decreasing fast, before that and after promotion he's fine as he is, for my style of playing that is.

• 1 month later...

I'd improve his growths by about 10-15% and give him an earlier promotion time. I had a playthrough started once where he was more of a liability as early as Chapter 8. Despite the fact that he'd been arena abused to level 20. The earlier promotion time would also help in the event that he still gets RNG screwed because he'd at least get solid promotion gains which for all intents and purposes could be adjusted based on how his stats growths are altered.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/17/2019 at 8:21 AM, SoulWeaver said:

Basically, the point made was that Lilina simply makes more sense as the Lord character. However, it's still Roy's game. By adding a separate character who would be a Lord character, and consequently able to Seize, the purpose of Roy is buffed but not altered - he remains an important character that can't/shouldn't just be ignored due to his Game Over risk and required fielding and is still somewhat shaky statwise, leaving his purpose unaltered, but the purpose as the Lord character is technically now buffed, since once Lilina gets her promote you can just pick Mage Knight and fix the ferrying problem, but like Robin she's not required, meaning if you like you can play the old-fashioned way simply by not fielding Lilina, like for the Chapters that don't have any Legendary Weapon Paralogues, but for Chapters where the Lord having solid Move is important you can field Lilina and have a better time getting the Turn Requirement taken care of.

Also to clarify, the question was 'would this technically be a buff?' If you're not seeing how this would be a buff, it probably isn't, answering the question.

What does Roy do then? If Lilina becomes the Seize Lord (don't get me wrong, I actually kinda like this idea), what is Roy's purpose until he gets the Binding Blade? He still has 5 Move and terrible bases along with stat caps that hold him back until the end of the game.

OK, let's assume that Roy at 20/0 is the beastiest Roy we can have (and by that, I mean average stats). What am I doing with a Lord who must be fielded every map with 13 Str and 15 Spd until the end of the game? For comparison, Rutgar joins in Chapter 4, has 9 Str and 15 Spd at base and can also promote into a death machine without an arbitrary chapter requirement (picking up 1 Move in the process, mind you).

It's a good idea... but it doesn't address Roy's real issues of bad bases, 5 Move and a very late promotion. That's what needs to change.

As an aside, when did everyone start calling Wendy Gwendolyn? I legit got confused the first time I saw this.

12 minutes ago, Life said:

As an aside, when did everyone start calling Wendy Gwendolyn? I legit got confused the first time I saw this.

In January 2017. Fire Emblem Heroes put out its "Choose Your Legends" popularity poll at that time. 

The poll features every playable character and a lot of villains and NPCs from each and every game to vote for. This included the games which never left Japan, and thus translators got to work having to translate every name.

While there is reason to doubt that all the names will be official and hereby immutable- Thracia 776's names have some real issues like "Machyua"- in other cases, the names look good enough to assume they'll be the official ones permanently. Wendy was translated as Gwendolyn at this time.

11 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

In January 2017. Fire Emblem Heroes put out its "Choose Your Legends" popularity poll at that time. 

The poll features every playable character and a lot of villains and NPCs from each and every game to vote for. This included the games which never left Japan, and thus translators got to work having to translate every name.

While there is reason to doubt that all the names will be official and hereby immutable- Thracia 776's names have some real issues like "Machyua"- in other cases, the names look good enough to assume they'll be the official ones permanently. Wendy was translated as Gwendolyn at this time.

Wendy is also currently Gwendolyn within FEH itself, you can Summon her. Like it or not, that's her official name now.

6 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

Wendy is also currently Gwendolyn within FEH itself, you can Summon her. Like it or not, that's her official name now.

I do not care, I am going to use old translations.

11 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

I played FEH for a short while, I'm aware.

The name change might have something to do with flesh-eating bacteria infecting Gwendolyn's abdomen after getting hit by a drunk semi-trailer driver as she was crossing the street leaving the gym. And thus it was necessary to have what remained of her abdomen, including the miraculously intact spinal cord despite severe fractures to many vertebrae, inserted into special life-preserving armor. Her new lease on life lead her to believe changing her name was necessary to reflect this, but she did not want to abandon her old self, she had no intent of breaking or changing relationships with those she knew and loved. Thus, her name change was mild. It is possible that by the time she decides to participate in a special occasion like an ice cream social, that the life-armor will have done its job, and her torso will have finished its cellular regeneration, allowing herself to be free of it forevermore.

I can see how Gwendolyn was derived from what the Romaji calls "Wendi". The Japanese for new Myrmidon in Radiant Dawn is "Eddie", which in the official English translation became Edward. It is a formalization of a name that was otherwise on the more casual side. 

I accept any and all name changes which IS makes and move on. It's not worth getting into a fuss over. Some are a little odd, was it really necessary to change Princess Nina to Nyna? And then there is Seti to Ced where the phonetics remain juuuuust possible to pronounce the latter the same as the former. But, again, this is ultimately a minor detail in a video game, so I try not to get too attached to any fan-translated name.

2 hours ago, Life said:

Fury's name change nearly made me rage.

It shouldn't. Fury to Erinys makes sense. "Fury" refers to the Furies, three wrathful Greco-Roman goddesses, Erinys is the name of one of those Furies. 

Calling someone Fury is English would be be more likely I'd think to make a person think they were named after an emotion, most people not being aware of the mythological reference. Being named after an emotion sounds weird to most I would think. Erinys is not an emotion, people therefore would see it more as just an exotic name, and not a weird one. A perfectly fine localization move in my book.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

6 hours ago, Life said:

Fury's name change nearly made me rage.

Ever hear someone call her Erin?  THAT made me flip.  Erinyes, at least, makes more sense.  But since I'm lazy, I'll just call her Fury, because it's easier to type.

---

Right, topic.  Roy has the following issues:

- Locked to melee range until he gets a 20-use sword that mitigates that.
- He gets three-ish chapters to enjoy his shiny new promotion

The obvious answer is to make him a flying unit with magic.  The more realistic one is to bump his promotion up earlier, and give him access to another weapon type (say, lances).  That way, he'd have a ranged option.  Earlier promotion means that he isn't a Bolting away from a Game Over.  Maybe.  If the RNG wills it.  But more levels means that his bulk has a chance to go up.