(Ch.21) Why didn't Ninian want Nils to be moved?

Here's the dialogue in question:

Spoiler

Nils:
“I’m fine. Just a little tired. If we can sit still for one night, I’ll be bet..ter…”

(Nils collapses)

Ninian:
“No! Nils!? Nils!!”

Lyn:
“Nils!?”

Hector:
“Nils! You all right?”

Ninian:
“Nils!!! Open your eyes!”

Eliwood:
“Ninian! Calm down!”

Ninian:
“…Ah, I……”

Hector:
“Let’s move him into the back room and call a healer.”

Ninian:
“You mustn’t move him!”

Hector:
“Huh?”

Lyn:
“Ninian?”

Ninian:
“I’m sorry, I… Um… Please, just for now… Don’t move him.”

Hector:
“But…”

Ninian:
“Please…”

Eliwood:
“…Let’s do as Ninian says. She must have her reasons.”

Ninian:
“…Please, just one night’s rest… That should…make things right.”

Hector:
“If it’s going to make him feel better, fine. Whatever you do, don’t move him. I’ll let the others know.”

Ninian:
“Lord Hector… …My apologies.”

Hector:
“No worries.”

I've been watching a recent LP of FE7, and they recently finished Ch. 21: Kinship's Bond. This thought had crossed my mind long ago when I played through the game myself, and it finally dawned on me again: When Nils collapses at the start of the chapter (most likely from giving all his energy to Ninian in the previous chapter), exactly why did Ninian not want Nils to be moved? I don't think there was ever an explanation for this. I mean, yeah, they're manaketes and granted it's several chapters before the Lords find that out the hard way, but I still don't see what harm there would've been in moving him. Was he perhaps so low on quintessense that moving him could've shook the last bit of it out of him and killed him in the process? That's the most sound reason I can think of. But it may as well have just been left up to interpretation. If there actually is a reason and I either overlooked it or it's only in the Japanese script, I would love to know. This question's been eating at me for years.

In any case, munch on some brain food and share your thoughts.

Edited by Baron the Shining Blade

Not quite sure why. The first thing that comes to mind is moving Nils could somehow give away his draconic nature? But this would be contradicted by the fact Ninian had been moved earlier, by Dart and Lyn, and Dart didn't scream "Scaaaaaales!".

Maybe she just meant he didn't need medical attention, just rest, and didn't want him moved because it wasn't necessary? Or perhaps she sensed the coming battle and wanted HEL to get to protect her from attack.

They just don't really explain this bit at all, strange. It's like they needed a defend target and Nils was all they could think of. Not that I find him collapsing in the first place out of place at all, that can make sense, just not so much Ninian's request.

54 minutes ago, Baron the Shining Blade said:

If there actually is a reason and I either overlooked it or it's only in the Japanese script, I would love to know

If you need a translation, Kirokan here on SF might be busy, but you could consider putting in their queue of potential investigations. Just PM them or something.

Maybe she wanted to keep an eye on him?  Or perhaps she didn't fully trust all humans?  It's hard to say, but I just saw it as a convenient excuse to keep the enemies away from the throne.

1 hour ago, Icelerate said:

It is a convenient way of making you fight a defense chapter. On a deeper note, Ninian can foresee the future and maybe she anticipated that moving Nils would slow his recovery. 

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

Maybe she wanted to keep an eye on him?  Or perhaps she didn't fully trust all humans?  It's hard to say, but I just saw it as a convenient excuse to keep the enemies away from the throne.

Mostly this. But having done first aid a few years ago, one of the first things we learned was not to move an injured person unless their life depended on them being moved due to the effects it may have on the recovery. That said, I'm going to argue that an approaching group of attackers is a pretty damn good reason to move someone. But in Ninian's defense, the black fang were assassins, and a frontal assault would have been the perfect diversion for the main forces while someone like Jaffar snuck in, killed any token rear guards, abducted Nils and escaped in the heat of battle.

10 hours ago, Mad-manakete said:

But in Ninian's defense, the black fang were assassins, and a frontal assault would have been the perfect diversion for the main forces while someone like Jaffar snuck in, killed any token rear guards, abducted Nils and escaped in the heat of battle.

That battle isn't Black Fang though. It's a mercenary group staunchly loyal to Laus, wanting to fulfill its duty even after Darin's death, and possibly then use the heads of HEL to join the Black Fang. They also attack in the Hector Mode exclusive chapter Talons Alight after Erik is defeated. They are said in Talons Alight to be able to move swiftly, and the mercs' leader Eubans is called the Hurricane (a mistranslation- the Japanese is "Fierce Eagle").

15 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

That battle isn't Black Fang though. It's a mercenary group staunchly loyal to Laus, wanting to fulfill its duty even after Darin's death, and possibly then use the heads of HEL to join the Black Fang. They also attack in the Hector Mode exclusive chapter Talons Alight after Erik is defeated. They are said in Talons Alight to be able to move swiftly, and the mercs' leader Eubans is called the Hurricane (a mistranslation- the Japanese is "Fierce Eagle").

I kind of worded it poorly. My point wasn't the Black Fang strategizing to distract by such an attack, but rather taking advantage of the distraction because it happened. After all, I could picture them having someone keeping an eye on their enemies as much as possible. It's merely good tactics to know what your foes are up to.