Games That Turned Out Completely Different From What You Expected

Dai

So, say you've heard of a game, it sounds kinda interesting to you, and by chance, you happen to get it so you can play it. And, for whatever reason, it is NOTHING like how you expected it to be.

For me, that game is Startropics. I heard the protagonist Mike was kinda like Ness, you know, being a (at the time) modern lad, wielding ordinary things like a yoyo and whatnot. So, I kind of expected it to be an RPG. Never saw videos or screenshots or anything, So, seeing the overworld and the town acting like Dragon Warrior, it kind of reinforced that idea (although, the Zelda I-esque title screen threw me off). And then I enter the dungeon and it's Zelda 1 combat...with a yoyo.

Anyone else have something like that?

Double Dragon Neon surprised me and a friend. Just something I picked up for a buck on a PSN sale but couldn't get past the second level. So when I invited my buddy over we weren't prepared at all for the places the game would take us and we still talk about it to this day. 

Everybody says Spec Ops: The Line. But I only played that game recently and have heard people talk about it since basically when it came out. Klonoa The Door to Phantomille is another good answer. The game gets surprisingly depressing at two major points and you wouldn't have expected it. And I'm sure there are hundreds of indie games that deliberately make an effort to play with the player's expectations.

Knights in the Nightmare. From someone who played Riviera and Yggdra Union before, I thought the game would be at least similar to them.... except its gameplay is some wacky puzzle I couldn't even understand.

When I was still a child, my first Zelda game was Ocarina of Time. I also happened to have a pictureless "tips & tricks book" for a bunch of Super Nintendo games, including A Link to the Past. While I had managed to get Link's Awakening in between and knew what to expect gameplay-wise of A Link to the Past, while reading information in that guide before finally coming across a copy, I pictured Hyrule as having a similar layout to Ocarina of Time. Of course, today, Hyrule's changing geography is old hat to everyone.

On a similar note of being surprised by past games, the second Kirby game I played was the original Kirby's Dreamland. Going from his signature ability being to copy things in the original Smash Bros and Kirby 64, to not having it at all was a bit of a shock.