Surprisingly Disappointing Sprites

Theri

Any sprites you ever spent a lot of time on, only to look back at the end and see that something's off about the whole thing? I have some sprites I spend a ton of time on, but ended up as flaming dumpster fires. Spent three hours on the first one.

Lawrence until I fix his eyes (3).png

Meridith.png

This is the sprite I made of "myself" (not that he looks anything like me) to use in my LP.3Rc5H2l.png

For the longest time, I was quite happy with it, but as time went on, I made other sprites and honed my spriting abilities somewhat (I think this OOdgY4Y.png just looks way better overall), and eventually I grew to find this one to be really ugly. Not the suit, I still like how the suit turned out, but there's something about the face... I think it's that everything is just so big! The nose is huge, the mouth almost cuts into the cheek, the eyes are ridiculously big... the rest I'm happy with, but that face needs fixing.

There's also the fact that there are a lot more colours there than the GBA could take (16), but that's all right, these were never intended to be put in a game, and even if they were, it's easily fixed.

Just now, KnightOfNohr said:

I'm kind of surprised you didn't mention the Wrys sprite. :P

I'm kind of surprised you jumped in 5 seconds after I posted that to mock Wrys again. C'mon, it wasn't that bad... I like it better than Big Eyes overthere, anyway.

I actually quite like the Ruben sprite, though the eyes could look a bit less sunken. My issue with Wrys' is that, unlike your other Archanean sprites, it doesn't look like him, at least not very much. Matthis looks older and more serious (of course, he is compared to his base-game self), and Frost is amazing, but Wrys is just...eh. The main problems, I find, are the excessive amount of wrinkles and the thinness of his head.

Edited by KnightOfNohr

1 minute ago, KnightOfNohr said:

I actually quite like the Ruben sprite, though the eyes could look a bit less sunken. My issue with Wrys' is that, unlike your other Archanean sprites, it doesn't look like him, at least not very much. Matthis looks older and more serious (of course, he is compared to his base-game self), and Frost is amazing, but Wrys is just...eh. The main problems, I find, are the excessive amount of wrinkles and the thinness of his head.

Eh, fair enough. This is the sprite we're talking about zO38ZmV.png just so it's not as blatant that we're completely derailing this thread just as it was getting started. Feel free to talk crap about it, it was my third sprite.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Eh, fair enough. This is the sprite we're talking about zO38ZmV.png just so it's not as blatant that we're completely derailing this thread just as it was getting started. Feel free to talk crap about it, it was my third sprite.

Oh boy. I've never made a sprite that bad when starting out, but to be fair, I didn't start drawing from scratch until months later. This was the first sprite I ever made

Princess Maya.png

1 minute ago, Theri said:

Oh boy. I've never made a sprite that bad when starting out, but to be fair, I didn't start drawing from scratch until months later. This was the first sprite I ever made

Princess Maya.png

Jeez, that's harsh. But I did ask for it.

In all seriousness, rather ironically, my very first sprite is now my favourite of the first three I made.leAvMaA.png I ended up not using it because I didn't want to look like a vagely-psycopathic fatass in my own LP. Then I went on to use it differently.

That sprite of yours is okay, I feel. It has a severe lack of shading (that hair just does not belong there), I think, but otherwise, it's not bad at all. Of course, take all I say with a grain of salt, I'm no artist.

1tPj4Tz.gif

Here are some palette swaps I made. They looked OK until I Copy-pasted them onto this file. The Dark Mage got the worst of it...oh, well, at least the female Cavalier I made looks decent.

It's not really a sprite, per se, but I wanted to show something my brother made because I thought it was hilarious. He called it "The Real Thomas Jefferson."

Spoiler

M5ojlx6.png

Edited by KnightOfNohr