FE4 Nightmare - Seliph's Holy Blood and Editing specific addresses

BumroyV2

I've done a bit of digging into trying to change Seliph's Holy Blood and the best I can find is that I can, " can change Celice's Holy Blood at address 0x4856D."

The only problem? I don't know how to find a specific address to edit it. I have both Nightmare 1 and 2.0, but I can't make heads or tails of how to find and edit 0X4856D without using the modules. I know Nightmare 2 has a tool where you can, "Enter value of the byte to search for strings of," but that can't be the method intended.

Is there another tool I should be using or a series of modules I don't have? Would messing with the .txt files for Holy Blood have the desired effect?

It's been a while since I last hex edited and FE4 rom but I'd say that's what you have to do; Nightmare 1 doesn't allow specific hex editing (I mean... it's a tool to GET AROUND specific hex editing) and I could never get Nightmare 2 to work properly. Again, I suggest downloading a hex editor, going to the suggested address and try and change it. You should find a 02 value corresponding to major baldo and then you can replace it (useful resource);

Give me a heads up if it works, always been interested in changing Seliph's Holy Blodd!

Okay, small problem: the holy blood I wanted to give him, Fala, isn't contained within that address. It's under holy blood 2, not holy blood 1.

Would it therefore be under the next value?

hex address.png

I think I understand your problem, I'm not sure how to help but hear me out: 

1) for curiosity's sake, have you tried changing anything? something minor like giving him minor baldo instead of major? like, if you can manage that at least we'll know that that is the correct byte and address that we have to edit

2) is that how the code looks like before editing? or have you changed any numerical value? (looking back at it, it's probably the unmodified one)

3) I have no idea which value it is then, it might be the very next one and it might not, but we DO know two things: first) every STATIC character (I couldn't remember this at first, Seliph should be one right? because if he isn't then I have no idea what we're doing) has 4 bytes/values that code for their holy blood, and Seliph's should be 06 (Major Baldo + minor Naga), 00, 00 and 00 (since he has no other holy blood) and while I do see some 00 in that code, they're not one after the other, so... that makes me nervous and question which ones represent his holy blood (is it possible that the possibility for Seliph of having some types of holy blood was straight out coded out his character? that they didn't assign him the bytes that could have given him access to all holy blood types?) HOWEVER, we DO also know the holy blood and bytes for OTHER static characters, and I think an interesting one for us could be Deirdre: her holy blood bytes should be 08 (Major Naga), 00, 00, 01 (minor Loptyr), which means that if we can somehow find the address for Deirdre's holy blood we just might be able to figure out in what order holy blood bytes are supposed to be; how we're supposed to do that is beyond me. The answer is somehow hidden in the nightmare modules: the nightmare modules allow you to change Deirdre's holy blood, which means that the hackers that coded the nightmare modules knew where Deirdre's holy blood bytes are and obviously put that information inside the modules so that the nightmare app knows where to look for when the user wants to, in fact, change Deirdre's holy blood, but I don't even know how the nightmare app and modules work. You could try to request help on FEuniverse, an online community dedicated solely to FE hacking, because I don't even know if the original creators of the nightmare modules are even around anymore, or like maybe PM Blaze, a renowned FE hacker that posted the NIghtmare modules here on SF back in 2012 and is still fairly active on SF since he's working on this wonderful hack of his Elibean Knights (you probably already know of him lol but just in case)

Your very last resort is to get a save file/play the game up to ch.6 and then start changing every single 00 byte you see around that address you found to 80 (the value for Major Fala) and restart until you get the desired result