Nintendo Online Subscription...

Soleater

https://bgr.com/2018/07/26/nintendo-switch-online-membership-subscription-preorder/

(Honestly the way they're listing off the features sounds like they were paid to say this, but I couldn't find any evidence of that, so eh)
(Also I'm not sure if this is the right place for this topic, but I couldn't find any other place for it)

I'm not sure if this is just me, but I don't understand why people are so excited about this?  Paying for something that came initially for free (and is still free for the previous generation of consoles, for now) and getting very little in the form of bonuses (they re-release the same NES games every console generation, and cloud backup should be default) doesn't sound like something anyone would want?  And I know this is anecdotal, but I haven't seen much in the way of backlash about this whole thing.  How is paying for something that used to come by default anything worth getting excited over?  If Nintendo said the money was going into making the service better, then I would understand, but that isn't the case, so I still don't get it.

Not to mention, while it isn't likely to be the case forever, you can still play Mario Kart 8 online on the Wii U; Mario Kart 8 being one of the games that you can't play online without a subscription.

So is anyone here excited for this, despite it being, to me, being forced to pay if you want to keep playing?  If so, why?

business wise, they have good reasons to use the extra money to upgrade their servers, as otherwise they receive backlash for charging for a standard product, making fewer people buy it, which lowers profits.

dunno, but this seems kinda obvious to me. i know i sure as hell would just stick to local play if the servers were still just ASS like they kinda are now.

5 minutes ago, (s)ad touch said:

business wise, they have good reasons to use the extra money to upgrade their servers, as otherwise they receive backlash for charging for a standard product, making fewer people buy it, which lowers profits.

dunno, but this seems kinda obvious to me. i know i sure as hell would just stick to local play if the servers were still just ASS like they kinda are now.

Yeah, but Nintendo never officially said that the money was going to improve servers, so there's no way to assume that they have the best of intentions.

Seems to me like this would be a slice of pure profit, rather than anything used to actually make the service better.

Edited by Soleater

1 minute ago, (s)ad touch said:

eh. we'll probably just have to see how things play out huh.

I guess, but I would prefer not to sacrifice my Splatoon progress for something like this

11 minutes ago, (s)ad touch said:

ah, splatoon, i see you are a man ma'm of culture as well

*TIPS FEDORA*
O f c o u r s e

2 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

I for one am thrilled that you can play online NES games now.

Okay, but you can buy them individually for much cheaper - just want Mario 1 or Zelda 2?  Eshop.

27 minutes ago, Soleater said:

*TIPS FEDORA*
O f c o u r s e

Okay, but you can buy them individually for much cheaper - just want Mario 1 or Zelda 2?  Eshop.

Probably, however, if this is how I play online, so be it. I think it's a great deal honestly. 20 bucks for an entire year is real cheap.

2 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

Probably, however, if this is how I play online, so be it. I think it's a great deal honestly. 20 bucks for an entire year is real cheap.

I mean that's fine, I just don't think it's fair to rope in online play (which historically has been free) into this whole thing - yes it's only really for 1st party Nintendo titles, but I don't think anyone buys Nintendo consoles for their 3rd party support.  Yeah twenty bucks it's cheap, but free's better than twenty bucks.

Again, I don't see a point in this whole subscription thing other than Nintendo being greedy.

So far I've yet to see any reason to like this as well, though in my case it's because I don't really intend to play most of the games I'd play on the Switch online anyways(TWEWY was the first game announced for the Switch where I actually got excited, and I'm only now putting money aside for one now that 5mash will be a thing). My brother hacked an old Wii we got at the DI to run emulators, so it's not like I'm not going to have access to the old games they're trying to wave in front of us like carrots on sticks(pretty crappy carrots, too, while I'm on the subject - old Mario? Zelda 2? Pass and pass, let me know when they finally admit GameCube exists again), and as I mentioned, almost nothing on the Switch has been interesting for me - the current list of games I'd get on the Switch is like...TWEWY, 5mash, FEW only so I could play with other people since I already have it on the 3DS with all the DLC, Megaman 11, and maybe the X Legacy Collection. Probably Three Houses, but I'm giving it some time to see just where they're going with it first. Overall, there's nothing the Switch has offered me that I haven't been just as happy having on the WiiU or 3DS, and online services are no different.

Eh, I'll probably pay it just for Splatoon alone, and with Smash coming I just can't say no. $20 a year is incredibly cheap, and we knew from the very beginning it wasn't going to be free forever. The NES online games are also a big deal to me since I play those a lot, and I'm definitely interested on Online on them, even if it's just leaderboards. It's a much better deal than buying them separately.

I might buy the family pack as well so my brother can go Online as well.

Well, $20 per year is cheaper than the Playstation alternative...  Though at the same time, if the quality of their net coding remains the same, people won't want to pay even that much for the service.  That's just bad business, and it'd be another stain on Nintendo's reputation as a corporation.  If a service that was previously free now costs money, it either is of higher quality or it's a scam.  I don't know what circles you walk among, but I've seen nothing but concerns about the fact that Nintendo's gonna now be charging people to play their games online.

I myself am not paying a dime simply because these are just not features I'd take advantage of.  As long as they don't suddenly make their games always-online through their service, I'm not really gonna complain.  The only thing I can see convincing me to get it is if they offered the ever elusive (and expensive) Radiance games on there without upping the price of the service much.  $20 for both of them is practically a steal.  But for now, it just looks like a few of the same games I can get on the Virtual Console for 3DS and Wii U.  And that I already have, albeit tucked away in a garage or closet somewhere, but still.

8 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

The only thing I can see convincing me to get it is if they offered the ever elusive (and expensive) Radiance games on there without upping the price of the service much.  $20 for both of them is practically a steal.

It IS a steal. Well, it would be a steal if they were available.

Like everyone else has been saying, $20 a year is cheap, especially compared to PlayStation and Xbox online subscriptions. Besides, a good portion of games on the Switch don't really utilize online anyway, as far as I know (I don't have a Switch). However, games like Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will most likely suffer a decline in active online player count because of the new subscription system, especially Splatoon 2, which has a pretty big focus on multiplayer battles, just like the last game.

I don't see why we can't just have free online services on all platforms. But hey, corporations have to make a profit somehow.

1 hour ago, SoulWeaver said:

So far I've yet to see any reason to like this as well, though in my case it's because I don't really intend to play most of the games I'd play on the Switch online anyways(TWEWY was the first game announced for the Switch where I actually got excited, and I'm only now putting money aside for one now that 5mash will be a thing). My brother hacked an old Wii we got at the DI to run emulators, so it's not like I'm not going to have access to the old games they're trying to wave in front of us like carrots on sticks(pretty crappy carrots, too, while I'm on the subject - old Mario? Zelda 2? Pass and pass, let me know when they finally admit GameCube exists again), and as I mentioned, almost nothing on the Switch has been interesting for me - the current list of games I'd get on the Switch is like...TWEWY, 5mash, FEW only so I could play with other people since I already have it on the 3DS with all the DLC, Megaman 11, and maybe the X Legacy Collection. Probably Three Houses, but I'm giving it some time to see just where they're going with it first. Overall, there's nothing the Switch has offered me that I haven't been just as happy having on the WiiU or 3DS, and online services are no different.

I more live off of Wii U than the Switch as well, but that's just because I have more games for it, and had no need for the ports (I got BoTW on Wii U, for example).  I wish they would add GameCube related stuff too, as I never got the chance to get one myself or play any games on there (now imagine like, an online Melee, or Kirby's Air Ride, now that'd be worth the twenty bucks).  But as it is, I agree with out that it just feels pointless (except to make me wish that they'd stop holding my Splatoon account hostage ;-;...Splatoon being the only thing I play online on there, so ^^")

4 hours ago, Jave said:

Eh, I'll probably pay it just for Splatoon alone, and with Smash coming I just can't say no. $20 a year is incredibly cheap, and we knew from the very beginning it wasn't going to be free forever. The NES online games are also a big deal to me since I play those a lot, and I'm definitely interested on Online on them, even if it's just leaderboards. It's a much better deal than buying them separately.

I might buy the family pack as well so my brother can go Online as well.

Yeah, but isn't it kind of sucky that you could (and still can, for the time being) play Splatoon 1, completely without charge, since you had to pay for the game upfront, and yet now you have to pay 80+ for multiplayer in a multiplayer focused game?  And I wouldn't know if it's "more worth it" to have to play 20+ for the same games over and over again, when you could just pick and choose among the Eshop.  Which is still up.  And a better alternative in my opinion, since you only pay once for whatever game you want.  And Leaderboards just...really don't feel worth it to me.  It just seems like the lamest, most contrived way to justify the virtual console being locked to this subscription.

The family pack...confused me - it just says "Buy more for more people!" But how many subscriptions are you buying???  I tried to look on the official site, and it had no info.

2 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Well, $20 per year is cheaper than the Playstation alternative...  Though at the same time, if the quality of their net coding remains the same, people won't want to pay even that much for the service.  That's just bad business, and it'd be another stain on Nintendo's reputation as a corporation.  If a service that was previously free now costs money, it either is of higher quality or it's a scam.  I don't know what circles you walk among, but I've seen nothing but concerns about the fact that Nintendo's gonna now be charging people to play their games online.

I myself am not paying a dime simply because these are just not features I'd take advantage of.  As long as they don't suddenly make their games always-online through their service, I'm not really gonna complain.  The only thing I can see convincing me to get it is if they offered the ever elusive (and expensive) Radiance games on there without upping the price of the service much.  $20 for both of them is practically a steal.  But for now, it just looks like a few of the same games I can get on the Virtual Console for 3DS and Wii U.  And that I already have, albeit tucked away in a garage or closet somewhere, but still.

Yeah, but better doesn't make it good.  Honestly, I think not being to improve their servers without this subscriptions, them as a multi-billion corporation, is pretty bad.  And as for circles, I just google about this, like "Nintendo Online Subscriptions" or "Nintendo Online Subscriptions Bad" when I'm desperate, and I just get praise or ambivalence, (though this is anecdotal, and I can't seem to find those comments again vv") and it's beyond confusing.

Again, I know twenty bucks isn't much, but the two console generations before were free, and it feels like they're just bandwagoning onto Microsoft's and Sony's get-rich-quick schemes.  Not interested in the Virtual Console, those NES games, or anything like that, it's just scummy that they have to rope in their online play for a multiplayer-focused game into it.

2 hours ago, indigospace said:

It IS a steal. Well, it would be a steal if they were available.

Like everyone else has been saying, $20 a year is cheap, especially compared to PlayStation and Xbox online subscriptions. Besides, a good portion of games on the Switch don't really utilize online anyway, as far as I know (I don't have a Switch). However, games like Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will most likely suffer a decline in active online player count because of the new subscription system, especially Splatoon 2, which has a pretty big focus on multiplayer battles, just like the last game.

I don't see why we can't just have free online services on all platforms. But hey, corporations have to make a profit somehow.

Again, cheap isn't as good as free, and they never said they were going to use the subscriptions to improve the service, so it feels like a cheap cash grab.

Yeah, they have to make profit, especially since Nintendo is so poor.  (not trying to be patronizing towards you at all, I think you have a point, I just think Nintendo's being very very dumb)

14 minutes ago, Soleater said:

Yeah, but isn't it kind of sucky that you could (and still can, for the time being) play Splatoon 1, completely without charge, since you had to pay for the game upfront, and yet now you have to pay 80+ for multiplayer in a multiplayer focused game?  And I wouldn't know if it's "more worth it" to have to play 20+ for the same games over and over again, when you could just pick and choose among the Eshop.  Which is still up.  And a better alternative in my opinion, since you only pay once for whatever game you want.  And Leaderboards just...really don't feel worth it to me.  It just seems like the lamest, most contrived way to justify the virtual console being locked to this subscription.

The family pack...confused me - it just says "Buy more for more people!" But how many subscriptions are you buying???  I tried to look on the official site, and it had no info.

Well, first of all, I don't play Splatoon 1 anymore. It's a different game, it's not longer getting updated, and I'm no longer used to the different controls. It doesn't help that the connections are complete crap in my country in a way half the matches get disconnected in the middle of the match. That doesn't happen to me on the Switch. It's super smooth.

Also, I play Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart 8 DX with friends. All of them have either moved on from the Wii U or never even owned one in the first place. Those friend matches are worth more than 20 bucks a year.

The whole reasoning for me for subscribing is simply for the convenience of having everything I want in my current system. Yes, I could play Super Mario Bros on my Wii U, or on my 3DS, or on the Wii I gave to my brother, or on the NES Mini, or on the original NES cart. But I WANT to have it on the Switch. And as a guy who likes to casually speedrun games and play for high scores, leaderboards are a big deal.

Bear in mind, you're talking to someone who supports artists on Patreon (some of which used to be free), has contributed to several Kickstarters, donates to streamers on Twitch, and pays $9.99 every 3 months for a Just Dance Unlimited subscription. Believe me, I know what I'm getting into, and to me, this is a perfectly fine deal.

As for the family pack, you pay $35 a year and you can add up to 8 accounts on it, even on separate Switch consoles. I'll probably buy one for myself, my brother, and my brother-in-law who may buy a Switch soon and we'll divide the money, so only $11.67 a year for the whole sub. Heck, I might get some friends in the deal and divide the payment even more.

5 minutes ago, Jave said:

Well, first of all, I don't play Splatoon 1 anymore. It's a different game, it's not longer getting updated, and I'm no longer used to the different controls. It doesn't help that the connections are complete crap in my country in a way half the matches get disconnected in the middle of the match. That doesn't happen to me on the Switch. It's super smooth.

Also, I play Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart 8 DX with friends. All of them have either moved on from the Wii U or never even owned one in the first place. Those friend matches are worth more than 20 bucks a year.

The whole reasoning for me for subscribing is simply for the convenience of having everything I want in my current system. Yes, I could play Super Mario Bros on my Wii U, or on my 3DS, or on the Wii I gave to my brother, or on the NES Mini, or on the original NES cart. But I WANT to have it on the Switch. And as a guy who likes to casually speedrun games and play for high scores, leaderboards are a big deal.

Bear in mind, you're talking to someone who supports artists on Patreon (some of which used to be free), has contributed to several Kickstarters, donates to streamers on Twitch, and pays $9.99 every 3 months for a Just Dance Unlimited subscription. Believe me, I know what I'm getting into, and to me, this is a perfectly fine deal.

As for the family pack, you pay $35 a year and you can add up to 8 accounts on it, even on separate Switch consoles. I'll probably buy one for myself, my brother, and my brother-in-law who may buy a Switch soon and we'll divide the money, so only $11.67 a year for the whole sub. Heck, I might get some friends in the deal and divide the payment even more.

I mean fair, Splatoon 1 isn't getting anymore support, but you have to admit - Splatoon 2 was, and arguably still is, just an upgrade of the first game.  You aren't really missing out on a lot by going back to Splatoon 1.  But I can't argue with internet connections, since I can't even play online at my home, and had an entire system of hauling my Wii U and a small tv to a library's children section (they were cool about it, so it was fine) in order just to play multiplayer.  And I still have to use public wifi to play Splatoon 2, so I can completly understand not wanting to play it because of internet connections.

And again, that makes sense, but it's still doesn't feel like the subscriptions really giving enough content to make it worth it in the long run.  Again, for convenience, I get it, but as a person that hauls their systems around for aforementioned reasons, I'm a little more tolerant towards scattered content.

That's...fine, but supporting people on Patreon and Kickstarting projects isn't related towards the topic whatsoever.  You aren't supporting a struggling company or artist by paying for this online subscription.  It's Nin-it-prints-money-tendo we're talking about.  Adding more onto the dragon's hoard of money they have isn't exactly the same as helping a donation-to-donation artist out via Patreon.

...Wait, is there no in between options?  Just buy one or buy eight for a discount?  No two or three bundle packs to make it a little cheaper?...Jeez, that's weird.  Look, I know Nintendo is a business - they're there to make money.  They always have (for literally over a hundred years), but this doesn't make this whole subscription thing any less scummy - or cowardly; they didn't have the guts to do something like this until Sony and Microsoft dipped their toes into this whole thing.  They basically just shrugged their shoulders and said "me too!" because it looked like a good way to further line their pockets.  Again, they're a business, but that doesn't mean they have to hold online hostage too - just because other people are doing it, doesn't make it right.

24 minutes ago, Soleater said:

I mean fair, Splatoon 1 isn't getting anymore support, but you have to admit - Splatoon 2 was, and arguably still is, just an upgrade of the first game.  You aren't really missing out on a lot by going back to Splatoon 1.  But I can't argue with internet connections, since I can't even play online at my home, and had an entire system of hauling my Wii U and a small tv to a library's children section (they were cool about it, so it was fine) in order just to play multiplayer.  And I still have to use public wifi to play Splatoon 2, so I can completly understand not wanting to play it because of internet connections.

And again, that makes sense, but it's still doesn't feel like the subscriptions really giving enough content to make it worth it in the long run.  Again, for convenience, I get it, but as a person that hauls their systems around for aforementioned reasons, I'm a little more tolerant towards scattered content.

That's...fine, but supporting people on Patreon and Kickstarting projects isn't related towards the topic whatsoever.  You aren't supporting a struggling company or artist by paying for this online subscription.  It's Nin-it-prints-money-tendo we're talking about.  Adding more onto the dragon's hoard of money they have isn't exactly the same as helping a donation-to-donation artist out via Patreon.

...Wait, is there no in between options?  Just buy one or buy eight for a discount?  No two or three bundle packs to make it a little cheaper?...Jeez, that's weird.  Look, I know Nintendo is a business - they're there to make money.  They always have (for literally over a hundred years), but this doesn't make this whole subscription thing any less scummy - or cowardly; they didn't have the guts to do something like this until Sony and Microsoft dipped their toes into this whole thing.  They basically just shrugged their shoulders and said "me too!" because it looked like a good way to further line their pockets.  Again, they're a business, but that doesn't mean they have to hold online hostage too - just because other people are doing it, doesn't make it right.

Look, at the end of the day it's how I feel. To me it's worth it for the convenience, my matches with friends, the cloud saving, and the NES games (and SNES in the future) with added online. If to you this feels scummy, that's fine, but voice your concern to Nintendo, not me, because you're not going to convince me to not subscribe, as I've made my decision. This is starting to feel too much like shaming, and it's really making me uncomfortable.

As for the family pack, it's a common thing with companies that offer these type of subscriptions (one single pack, one multiple/family pack). I know Spotify does the same thing, for example. Nintendo's is actually quite generous, since 8 users in one pack is actually a lot (I know some groups of people on other forums who are already planning on sharing a family pack and paying like 4 bucks a year each).

4 hours ago, Soleater said:

I more live off of Wii U than the Switch as well, but that's just because I have more games for it, and had no need for the ports (I got BoTW on Wii U, for example).  I wish they would add GameCube related stuff too, as I never got the chance to get one myself or play any games on there (now imagine like, an online Melee, or Kirby's Air Ride, now that'd be worth the twenty bucks).  But as it is, I agree with out that it just feels pointless (except to make me wish that they'd stop holding my Splatoon account hostage ;-;...Splatoon being the only thing I play online on there, so ^^")

I was thinking the great overlord of four-man multiplayer fights, actually, but heck yeah, I'd go for Air Ride Online, or Double Dash, that was and probably always will be my favorite Mario Kart, and you could do 16-Player thanks to the online functionality if you REALLY wanted to go crazy. There's also some DS games they could implement as well with some game updating and interface streamlining, like Metroid Prime Hunters - it really bummed me out that the multiplayer wasn't a thing in the WiiU VC version of it, and all you'd have to do is add a button function to switch to Alt-Mode and a button function to switch between equipped weapons, and possible move the radar to the top corner of the screen, that touch screen wasn't doing much anyways. Or KH 358/2 Days, Online Multiplayer Mission Mode would be epic and I'd love to see the game remastered on a system I'd actually be willing to get it on(there's no way I'd buy whatever Playstation the 2.5 Remix is on just for the sake of replaying Days in HD, I already constantly worry about whether my Vita was a waste of money).

I'm fine with paying for online, especially because it's so cheap.

What bothers me though, is that I couldn't care less about NES games. Not everybody likes retro. I would have preferred N64 games, or GameCube games or whatever, though I understand that they might pose a challenge, idk, I don't understand the technical side of things.

The lack of a Virtual Console is a huge blow for me, I wanted to be able to play FE 7, 8 and 11 on the go (I can't find any physical copies), but this is just...I just don't understand why they've done this.

9 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Pretty much exactly this. I'm not fond of this trend in general, but $20 is a good price - if they were going to do something to actually improve their online capabilities.

39 minutes ago, Lau said:

What bothers me though, is that I couldn't care less about NES games. Not everybody likes retro. I would have preferred N64 games, or GameCube games or whatever, though I understand that they might pose a challenge, idk, I don't understand the technical side of things.

The lack of a Virtual Console is a huge blow for me, I wanted to be able to play FE 7, 8 and 11 on the go (I can't find any physical copies), but this is just...I just don't understand why they've done this.

I believe they said that that's coming in the future, but don't quote me on that.

11 hours ago, Jave said:

Look, at the end of the day it's how I feel. To me it's worth it for the convenience, my matches with friends, the cloud saving, and the NES games (and SNES in the future) with added online. If to you this feels scummy, that's fine, but voice your concern to Nintendo, not me, because you're not going to convince me to not subscribe, as I've made my decision. This is starting to feel too much like shaming, and it's really making me uncomfortable.

As for the family pack, it's a common thing with companies that offer these type of subscriptions (one single pack, one multiple/family pack). I know Spotify does the same thing, for example. Nintendo's is actually quite generous, since 8 users in one pack is actually a lot (I know some groups of people on other forums who are already planning on sharing a family pack and paying like 4 bucks a year each).

And that's totally fine - I'm just trying to understand why people seem to like this system so much, or at least are ambivalent to it.  I'm really not trying to shame you, or anybody who buys into it, I just don't understand why some people seem to look forward to this?  And this is how I'm voicing concerns - by getting a discussion going.  Again, you're totally free to get the subscription and even prefer it over the standard model -  I'm not criticizing you for that, I'm just trying to understand why this is better over it being free. That's all - I'm not trying to make you uncomfortable or feel bad at all, and I'm sorry for doing so.

As for the family pack, I just think it's weird that it goes one to eight, with no in between options, is all.

8 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

I was thinking the great overlord of four-man multiplayer fights, actually, but heck yeah, I'd go for Air Ride Online, or Double Dash, that was and probably always will be my favorite Mario Kart, and you could do 16-Player thanks to the online functionality if you REALLY wanted to go crazy. There's also some DS games they could implement as well with some game updating and interface streamlining, like Metroid Prime Hunters - it really bummed me out that the multiplayer wasn't a thing in the WiiU VC version of it, and all you'd have to do is add a button function to switch to Alt-Mode and a button function to switch between equipped weapons, and possible move the radar to the top corner of the screen, that touch screen wasn't doing much anyways. Or KH 358/2 Days, Online Multiplayer Mission Mode would be epic and I'd love to see the game remastered on a system I'd actually be willing to get it on(there's no way I'd buy whatever Playstation the 2.5 Remix is on just for the sake of replaying Days in HD, I already constantly worry about whether my Vita was a waste of money).

I don't think it would be all that hard to program either - just trick the game into thinking that online equals controllers in physical controller slots or something.  Or if they really wanted to go crazy, just build the setting from the ground up?  They're practically swimming in cash with Sun and Moon, Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, and the still popular Pokemon Go, so I don't see why it would be that much of a money sink to just port these games, and maybe add multiplayer?  It would be seriously cool if they did, that's for sure, instead of just porting the same games over and over again.

5 hours ago, Lau said:

It's cheap if we're just talking about the subscription, but if Nintendo starts making more and more multiplayer focused games, like Splatoon, the costs are going to add up...

Actually, Splatoon's a good example of what I'm talking about - buy they base game when it comes out, and that's a solid 60 dollars to buy what is a essentially an upgrade of the first game.  A very good, very fun upgrade, but an upgrade nonetheless.  Then, in order to actually make the game worth it single player wise, that's another 18-20 bucks for the Octo Expansion, so we're at 80 bucks right now?  And then the mandatory subscription kicks in, and now you've just payed 100+ dollars to actually get a complete game that's distinct from the first.  Again, Splatoon 2 is very good, and the DLC is totally worth it, but eventually this is going to start really costing?  Especially if they start releasing more DLC?  I'm just saying, for the other multiplayer games, it's not so bad, but Splatoon lives and dies on it's multiplayer (especially if you forgo the DLC), so they've basically locked a huge portion of the game behind a paywall.

I don't think it would be that hard to port N64 or Gamecube games tbh?  It's not like they're as massive as Breath of the Wild, so it shouldn't be that bad

Nintendo's p bad with their Virtual Console as a whole - just NES games clogging up the store as far as the eye can see - and they never seem to get bored of rereleasing the same games over and over again and never seem to consider translating their other NES/SNES games, like, Mother 3 or, as you mentioned any of the older FE games, especially those that didn't get localized.

5 hours ago, Edgelord said:

Pretty much exactly this. I'm not fond of this trend in general, but $20 is a good price - if they were going to do something to actually improve their online capabilities.

I'd totally be fine with this entire thing if they confirmed the subscriptions were to improve online play - but they haven't yet.  To me, at the moment, it feels like trying to sell a chunk of your Switch back to you, which is part of the reason I take so much issue with this.  20 dollars is a very good price, but only if it goes to the right place.

5 hours ago, Michelaar said:

I believe they said that that's coming in the future, but don't quote me on that.

Oooh I hope that's the case - but I wouldn't hold my breath, since they won't even rerelease Yoshi's Island 1 or anything along those lines (y'know, stuff that would be incredibly easy to repackage).

55 minutes ago, Soleater said:

And that's totally fine - I'm just trying to understand why people seem to like this system so much, or at least are ambivalent to it.  I'm really not trying to shame you, or anybody who buys into it, I just don't understand why some people seem to look forward to this?  And this is how I'm voicing concerns - by getting a discussion going.  Again, you're totally free to get the subscription and even prefer it over the standard model -  I'm not criticizing you for that, I'm just trying to understand why this is better over it being free. That's all - I'm not trying to make you uncomfortable or feel bad at all, and I'm sorry for doing so.

As for the family pack, I just think it's weird that it goes one to eight, with no in between options, is all.

Thing is, I don’t think anyone is arguing the fact that it would be better if it was for free. If given two options, and the only difference is that you have to pay for one and the other is free, I don’t think any sane person would pick the paid option. This is more that, at least for me, people have simply accepted it’s what we’re getting, and choose to buy or not buy accordingly to their own beliefs and principles. It all boils down that the value of certain things are different for each person. If you feel something is worth it, then buy it. If not, the don’t buy or wait for a better deal. 

I’ve already explained the reasoning as to why I’m buying the subscription, so I don’t think I should repeat myself on that.