Nintendo Online Subscription...

Soleater

2 hours ago, Jave said:

Thing is, I don’t think anyone is arguing the fact that it would be better if it was for free. If given two options, and the only difference is that you have to pay for one and the other is free, I don’t think any sane person would pick the paid option. This is more that, at least for me, people have simply accepted it’s what we’re getting, and choose to buy or not buy accordingly to their own beliefs and principles. It all boils down that the value of certain things are different for each person. If you feel something is worth it, then buy it. If not, the don’t buy or wait for a better deal. 

I’ve already explained the reasoning as to why I’m buying the subscription, so I don’t think I should repeat myself on that. 

A'ight, wasn't trying to make you feel uncomfortable.  It's just polls like this: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/05/reaction_what_are_your_thoughts_on_nintendo_switch_online that are confusing me a bit.  Thank you for telling me.

I'm largely indifferent to the service. Although online has previously been free on Nintendo consoles, historically it's been a paid service for Playstation and Xbox, unless I'm mistaken. So I don't mind that the fact that it's paid.

Still, I was never interested in the other company's paid online services, so I'm not too interested with Nintendo's. Likewise, I'm not fussed about the NES games, since I don't have much nostalgia for them. Also, I really hope Nintendo's virtual console isn't tied to online...

That said, if there's one thing that might change my mind: it's Pokemon online trading. I have no clue if that'll require Nintendo's paid service or not. If it does, I might have to shell out...

7 minutes ago, Soleater said:

A'ight, wasn't trying to make you feel uncomfortable.  It's just polls like this: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/05/reaction_what_are_your_thoughts_on_nintendo_switch_online that are confusing me a bit.  Thank you for telling me.

Probably because half of us are optmistic that Nintendo seems to be focusing more on it's stuff having online (something they've been like 10 years super late on in regards to it). 

Other side is probably blind loyalty. 

Me personally? It could pay off, although for all I know Nintendo could screw it up like they have on so many previous online stuff in the past. Either with poor servers or games that should have online not having online. Although that seems to be mildly changing with Splatoon and such.

I have to get it for Smash Ultimate anyways

1 hour ago, VincentASM said:

I'm largely indifferent to the service. Although online has previously been free on Nintendo consoles, historically it's been a paid service for Playstation and Xbox, unless I'm mistaken. So I don't mind that the fact that it's paid.

Still, I was never interested in the other company's paid online services, so I'm not too interested with Nintendo's. Likewise, I'm not fussed about the NES games, since I don't have much nostalgia for them. Also, I really hope Nintendo's virtual console isn't tied to online...

That said, if there's one thing that might change my mind: it's Pokemon online trading. I have no clue if that'll require Nintendo's paid service or not. If it does, I might have to shell out...

I believe that, at least the online multiplayer, for the Playstation 3, was free?  They had a subscription service, if I'm not wrong, but you could still play online for free.

I'm not too perturbed by the NES thing either, since they aren't going to release Mother 3 are probably just going to release the same games over and over again, maybe porting semi-old 3DS or DS games.  But unlikely to be anything worthwhile imo.

oooooooooooooh that would really tick me off if they did that - they already made Pokemon Transfering a subscription thing, so that's not outside of the realm of possibility, as much as I really hope they'd have some dignity.

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

Probably because half of us are optmistic that Nintendo seems to be focusing more on it's stuff having online (something they've been like 10 years super late on in regards to it). 

Other side is probably blind loyalty. 

Me personally? It could pay off, although for all I know Nintendo could screw it up like they have on so many previous online stuff in the past. Either with poor servers or games that should have online not having online. Although that seems to be mildly changing with Splatoon and such.

I have to get it for Smash Ultimate anyways

"Blind loyalty" seems to be a defining thing about Nintendo fans - much as I identify as one myself - so I guess that would explain it; still pretty depressing though.  Nintendo could, well, charge for Pokemon Trades and I guarantee there'd be some defenders.

I...really hope it works out, as much as I am adverse to the whole idea.  I can't actually play online games very well on my own internet, so if it ends up improving things, I'd be totally down for paying up.  I'm just worried that it's going to be nothing more than giving Nintendo money for selling back initially free stuff to you.

That's another thing - with how multiplayer focused some of these games are getting, it's gonna push people's wallets...or end up killing the online community; that's how I feel it's gonna go down, anyways.

Yes, PS3 online was free, which is why I wasn't very thrilled with Sony following Microsoft's path in charging for it.

On the bright side, Playstation Plus is a good service that comes with it.

17 hours ago, Edgelord said:

Yes, PS3 online was free, which is why I wasn't very thrilled with Sony following Microsoft's path in charging for it.

On the bright side, Playstation Plus is a good service that comes with it.

Honestly, I'm surprised no one complained when Microsoft first pulled this stunt - maybe it just wasn't that bad to them?  Idk honestly

Is PS Plus that good?  What's it...even do?  I thought it nothing more than like...an Eshop-type service?

14 minutes ago, Soleater said:

Honestly, I'm surprised no one complained when Microsoft first pulled this stunt - maybe it just wasn't that bad to them?  Idk honestly

Is PS Plus that good?  What's it...even do?  I thought it nothing more than like...an Eshop-type service?

Playstation store is separate.

10GB Cloud storage (which is very useful, especially if you're someone who just had to format their hard drive due to corruption on PS4...) - I believe the Switch will have something similar, rolling selection of some free games, discounts on quite a lot of games, both of which are usually pretty generous. They do this for PS3 and Vita as well for now. They also will occasionally have access to betas or demos first.

It's better than what's gonna be the Nintendo service, and Sony's network infrastructure is good to justify the online play. The downside is that you pay more for it. It's $60/year.

Edited by Edgelord

1 minute ago, Edgelord said:

Playstation store is separate.

10GB Cloud storage (which is very useful, especially if you're someone who just had to format their hard drive due to corruption on PS4...) - I believe the Switch will have something similar, rolling selection of some free games, discounts on quite a lot of games, both of which are usually pretty generous. They do this for PS3 and Vita as well for now. They also will occasionally have access to betas or demos first.

It's better than what's gonna be the Nintendo service. The downside is that you pay more for it. It's $60/year.

Ah, okay wasn't sure, thank ye.  I don't really venture that far outside of Nintendo when it comes to online store related things (excluding Steam, which is basically essential)

Wow, that is a lot better than the switch's service - though you could argue that y'know...The Switch's subscription is cheaper.  So I guess you're roughly getting your money's worth in the end?  No matter what?  *shrugs*

I don't think I could ever pay that much for internet access though, even if it is overall the same value.