4. 4. Do you prefer spread butter or blocks

• Spread
    • Block
  5. 5. Can you eat a kilo of butter in 5 minutes

• Yes
    • No
    • Never tried
    • Ew

Hello welcome to the butter thread, the thread for all you buttery needs.

feel free to discuss butter and butter substitutes and share your experiences with butter. Enjoy and have a buttery time. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cook with butter, particularly if it involves prawns or lobsters. As for meats, it's great for flank/striploin steaks.

On bread, it's nice with a few herbs and garlic, I guess.

I nibble on a stick of butter sometimes when I am cooking, but I am not sure if I can finish half a pound of butter in 5 minutes though. The most I ate in 5 minutes is maybe about half a stick, which is like about an ounce I think.

When I was really young, I only had margarine instead of butter in the fridge. When I got older and tried pure butter by itself, I was immediately hooked, so now I always have at least a stick of butter in the fridge.

Margarine is okay because it's cheaper and I use it for oil when I fry stuff in. I still live with my parents for the time being but I think I'm going to make the switch to butter but still keep a small thing of margarine around because it doesn't really go bad (as long as you don't let it sit there forever) and works well for quick and small uses.

also shoutout to butter croissants

Is it okay if I talk a little about bacon grease too? I am not sure if this is considered an abomination or heresy, but I save bacon grease and I combine it with butter. You cannot go wrong with bacon and butter.

For example, I heat up the bacon grease first and then put the butter in (so it does not burn as much) and then I put my filet mignon in the pan and sear it for about 1 minute (usually less) on each side and 20 to 30 seconds on the edges. Tastes amazing. A hint of bacon and butter compliments the red juicy meat nicely.

Butter is life. Plain old butter, cinnamon-honey butter, garlic butter, I love them all. To paraphrase a quote attributed to Benjamin Franklin "Butter is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Pffff who needs beer!

Also looking at the poll, who eats butter unsalted? Isn't that supposed to taste terrible and only be used in baking applications?

And while it isn't actually dairy butter at all, I'm throwing in a good word for the little-known delight that is cookie butter. Tastes a bit like gingersnaps in a spreadable form. I got it on a Belgian waffle with some homemade whipped cream once, it was love at first bite. Definitely worth trying! 

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Is it okay if I involve buttered popcorn in this conversation?  Because that shit's so good, it's pretty much the only consumable item I'm willing to pay for at the movie theater with their outrageous prices.  I'm sorry, but candy is not worth five dollars.  Not even the disgustingly tasty Reeses Peanut Butter Cups.

I like it if my butter is a little melted.  Not in a microwave or anything like that, but just gradually at room temperature.  It's easier to spread on bread that way.  I find it's better to spread the butter on a grilled cheese sandwich before you put it on the pan; that way, it's guaranteed to cover the entire surface of each side as opposed to if you "stir" it around in there, and then it comes out beautifully golden if you cook it right.

With Mac n' Cheese, I dice it into little cubes to stir in the pot.  If you just throw a big chunk of it in there, it's much harder to mix in with the noodles, but if it's all up in pieces spread all around, you can get it to mix quite easily.

And don't even get me started on buttermilk pancakes...  Literally the food of a goddess right there, and just that little glob they usually throw on top of them at parlors/restaurants is pretty much the cherry on top.  You just gotta spread the love all around on the pancakes.

Blocks for making mac and cheese, spread for putting on toast and pancakes.

Also YESSS MOVIE THEATER POPCORN

Edited by Dragoncat

29 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Eh, I've gotten over buttered popcorn, it isn't that great, I've crossed over to the kettle corn side. Lightly sweet and salty, both a snack and a dessert I can eat anytime in copious amounts.

1 hour ago, Dragoncat said:

Blocks for making mac and cheese, spread for putting on toast and pancakes.

Yes, yes, and yes.

On the topic of movie theater stuff, I did have some food from a dine-in theater when I went to see Deadpool 2.  Just an Oreo shake and a burger... that cost, like, $25.  The shake was good, but the burger was kinda lackluster.  Definitely not wasting that much money on their food again.  Still, the concept of a dine-in theater was nifty.  If they just had a joint operation with our local Hoagieville, then I'd be more willing to have their food.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Eh, I've gotten over buttered popcorn, it isn't that great, I've crossed over to the kettle corn side.

My father has this one absolute freak of a friend who, when we were walking by a kettle corn vendor on our way to Seattle's stadium to watch a Mariners game, just yelled "KETTLE COOOORN!" in this weird voice toward the general direction of the vendor.  Vendor just looked so confused.  I was also confused.  But I also found it really frickin' funny.

Anyway, my main popcorn woe (aside from getting kernels stuck in my teeth) was a friend of mine opened a bag of freshly microwaved popcorn and the steam hurt his face.  It didn't injure him at all... and all things considered, it wasn't really a "woe" for either me or my brother.  It just stung his face a bit, and my brother and I, being the idiot kids we were, pretended to do a ritual to "cure" his "blindness" (though he consented to it, so he must've been just as big an idiot as we were).  But the moral of the story is don't put your face over freshly cooked popcorn because the steam might actually burn your face.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Eh, I've gotten over buttered popcorn, it isn't that great, I've crossed over to the kettle corn side. Lightly sweet and salty, both a snack and a dessert I can eat anytime in copious amounts.

I love kettle corn too actually.

Smartfood white cheddar popcorn kicks butt. Popcorn Indiana aged white cheddar popcorn comes in at a close second.

It's not so much the popcorn but the butter. I don't like movie theatre popcorn much but the butter they use is phenomenal.

Another thing that works well with butter is ramen noodles. I don't know whether it's the oiliness or the added salt, but the noodle becomes tastier, for sure.

PS For a first glance, I thought this was about Super Butter Buns. Either way, she helped me butter my Persona 4 Golden bread.

Edited by henrymidfields

You ever grill toast, bread if not what you should do is place a copious amount of butter (not spread) on some bread and grill it for around 2-3 minutes to melt the butter in (then you can butter it again, yum)

also 15 people have taken the poll, I did not expect this to happen much wow

Edited by Pengaius

Butter made the really lean striploin steaks I cooked for dinner last night go down well. Toasted garlic and those drippings, plus a litte Worcestershire sauce over steamed rice is just divine.

2 hours ago, Karimlan said:

striploin steaks

What is that? Is that some kind of sirloin or New York strip?

When I saw your profile pic I thought it was somebody new. Well, is there anything you put butter on that's weird to butter, I mix melted butter into canned tuna sometimes

1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

100% of people like butter.

Fact.

@Pengaius took a poll.

And if someone doesn't like butter we revoke their right to be considered human.

Correct