Completed First Run: Ending Thoughts

I've just completed my first ever playthrough of Radiant Dawn. I started on Hard / Maniac, and I have to say that I think this is easily my new favorite in the franchise. I love the writing (for the most part -- also keep in mind I merge the writing of PoR and RD) aside from the kinda plot convenient Blood Pact. Which honestly isn't as bad as this forum has claimed it is. It's lazy, yes, but I was not dragged out of immersion by it. It's a fantasy game, and it is exactly the kind of thing the Senators would do. Anyway, moving on, I love the music of the game -- even when it get's a little repetitive, I enjoyed it. The art design is much better than PoR in my opinion as well.

Gameplay wise, I love this game through and through. I let a lot of good units get either behind or die (read: the entire Dawn Brigade aside from Edward because I didn't know they got unique, powerful personal weapons), and yet I never felt like a chapter was unwinnable. That's not to say I didn't find it challenging, the entire run gave me a consistent level of challenge that I enjoyed. I think, to be honest, the hardest chapter of the game for me was actually Ellincia's Gambit, and beating that felt great. 

I love how the 4 part system was done, I loved the 5 stage endgame -- being encouraged to feed Kurthnaga felt great, and he turned into a demon pretty fast. Ena was useless in combat, but Blood Tide is nice so hey. Getting the satisfaction of killing each main villain was fantastic, especially with unique boss dialogues. Sephiran/Lehran's dialogue, reveal, and memories were a tragedy unto themselves, and I really felt for him. I think he's one of the franchise's better villains. Ashera's fight was a unique, if not super interactive, final boss fight, but the TRUE final boss and challenge of the run was Dheginsea. The Biggest Blackest dragon was one of the rare occasions where a Fire Emblem boss actually intimidates me. It was a good chapter and a good fight.

As for flavor, I love the little things. The hidden items, the way Stefan is recruited (hey hobo with a knife, fight with us). I actually want more characters to be recruited like Stefan in future games, because it's funny, and it let's the devs place a stronger pre-promote than usual because s/he is hidden. I love the Steal mechanic, I always have, and I feel like it was useful throughout a decent chunk of the game. Forging with Coins was odd, but fun. The SS weapons were cool (I didn't have anyone using Alondite, nobody had SS swords aside from Ike), and I liked the way you were encouraged to use them as much as you wanted with Yune's blessing. 

I just had a fantastic experience with the game. And now that I've beaten it once, I'll be able to go back and actually use Lehran and Pelleas ingame, because they deserve that second chance.

Congrats on completing RD!  Glad that you enjoyed it too. 

Though I list no favorite FE (blame it on me being indecisive), I am a foremost Telliusian (I recognize their flaws, but I love them anyhow). I'm also SF's self-appointed Sephiran devotee to some degree. I'm in agreement the art direction got better with RD, it's like PoR, but certainly more matured.

Be sure to check out the Tellius Recollection artbooks pinned on these forums for a bit of extra information on everything. Some of it is a little contradictory to what is in the games, and some is downright beta (more on that can be found here, here, and here), but on the whole it's good. And here are some Micaiah and the Dawn Brigade notes that didn't make it into the final game.

And if you click on any one of the chapters with a "+" next to it here, you'll be able to read the translated Extended Script for it. RD in Japan had extra story dialogue on Hard and Maniac difficulties that the English translators didn't include for some reason. Nothing very important, and only like ~5% of the script in total apparently, but the extra nuggets are neat. SF doesn't have it all, but some is better than nothing.

Congratulations dude! :) RD is my favorite game of the franchise.

11 hours ago, Mandokarla said:

I've just completed my first ever playthrough of Radiant Dawn. I started on Hard / Maniac, and I have to say that I think this is easily my new favorite in the franchise. I love the writing (for the most part -- also keep in mind I merge the writing of PoR and RD) aside from the kinda plot convenient Blood Pact. Which honestly isn't as bad as this forum has claimed it is. It's lazy, yes, but I was not dragged out of immersion by it. It's a fantasy game, and it is exactly the kind of thing the Senators would do. Anyway, moving on, I love the music of the game -- even when it get's a little repetitive, I enjoyed it. The art design is much better than PoR in my opinion as well.

Exactly! Yes, the Blood pact is not that good of a writing. But it serves gameplay-wise. I would hate if I didn't get the opportunity to fight my 2 teams.

I love how the 4 part system was done, I loved the 5 stage endgame -- being encouraged to feed Kurthnaga felt great, and he turned into a demon pretty fast. Ena was useless in combat, but Blood Tide is nice so hey. Getting the satisfaction of killing each main villain was fantastic, especially with unique boss dialogues. Sephiran/Lehran's dialogue, reveal, and memories were a tragedy unto themselves, and I really felt for him. I think he's one of the franchise's better villains. Ashera's fight was a unique, if not super interactive, final boss fight, but the TRUE final boss and challenge of the run was Dheginsea. The Biggest Blackest dragon was one of the rare occasions where a Fire Emblem boss actually intimidates me. It was a good chapter and a good fight.

Yeah. It felt like a great ending

As for flavor, I love the little things. The hidden items, the way Stefan is recruited (hey hobo with a knife, fight with us). I actually want more characters to be recruited like Stefan in future games, because it's funny, and it let's the devs place a stronger pre-promote than usual because s/he is hidden. I love the Steal mechanic, I always have, and I feel like it was useful throughout a decent chunk of the game. Forging with Coins was odd, but fun. The SS weapons were cool (I didn't have anyone using Alondite, nobody had SS swords aside from Ike), and I liked the way you were encouraged to use them as much as you wanted with Yune's blessing. 

Stefan, hobo with a knife?

Wow hold on dude.

Spoiler

You are talking about the head of an independent branded nation.

24 minutes ago, Truebladee said:

Stefan, hobo with a knife?

Wow hold on dude.

Hide contents

You are talking about the head of an independent branded nation.

But he was just a hobo with a fancy knife until after RD! His Boss Quote with Numida was badass.

8 hours ago, Mandokarla said:

But he was just a hobo with a fancy knife until after RD! His Boss Quote with Numida was badass.

Well, he lived in a village. So he is not homeless.

I meant more like, have some respect for my main man Stefan. Canonically, he is one of the strongest human´s with one of the strongest weapons in the whole Tellius series.

Edited by Truebladee