Should an FE6 Echoes be packaged with an FE7 Echoes?

I''m personally indecisive on the issue. On the one hand, I understand the appeal of it, having recently completed the Blazing Blade for the first time and being the middle of my first Binding Blade playthrough.

On the other hand, some of reasons I've seen for an "Elibe Echoes" game aren't persuasive to me.

"Customizing child characters a la Fates and Awakening": According to this chart (https://serenesforest.net/general/binding-blade-blazing-sword-relations/) only 11 playable characters (Roy, Lilina, Wolt, Lugh, Sue, Ray, Fir, Klien, Clarine, Igrene and Hugh) are child unites relative to FE7 out of a playable cast of ~50. Of those units, only 5 (Roy, Lilina, Wolt, Lugh and Ray) can have variable parents. Even if it's a nice bonus, unless a substantial amount of child characters are added to the game, it's too small a size to justify an inheritance mechanic imo. 

"It connects the stories together": While they have some overlap, Blazing's and Binding's stories are largely disconnected - the biggest "crossover" I can think of is Blazing's Bern arc since it explains the source of Zephiel's misanthropy. Of course, the elephant in the room is Lyn, I think either some quick exposition, new Gaiden chapters, Trial Maps and/or DLC is sufficient to address the issue.

I think that it could be done, in past 3DS games they left things for free interpretation anyway.

And totally they could make a Gaiden/Paralogue chapter to say what happened to Lyn with higher chances of being DLC

really don't think so.

Ever since Awakening and Fates came out, I've heard this kind of argument with the Elibe games and the Jugdral games being made more often. But I really don't think this works for Elibe, or for FE4 and FE5.

The conflict in FE7 wraps up pretty nicely, and FE6's plot really doesn't have anything to do with FE7 aside from Zephiel having gone mad. But Zephiel himself wasn't really a focus of FE7, and the stuff that drove him to hate humanity was post-FE6 and something our three lords couldn't have done anything about anyway. Not to mention that one would have to add a bunch of superfluous children characters just to have the level of children customization as the other games. FE6 and FE7 are not meant to be packaged as one game, they have their own stories that really don't connect.

FE4 is similar in terms of Awakening and Fates in that the first generation and the second generation are in the same game, because the children's tasks coincide with their parents' tasks. Whether it be finishing what they started (FE4), trying to stop the future (FE13), or just tagging along because why the fuck not (FE14). But Genealogy and Thracia have very different mechanics, and the second generation lord they focus on is a different character (Seliph vs. Leif). It wouldn't work. You'd either have to ditch Seliph for a very long period of time so Leif can do his business. With different mechanics from the rest of the game for no explicable reason. And then you'd have to figure out what happens to the rest of Leif's cast who don't show up in FE4. There's way too many of them to just make all of them playable characters, but it would suck to just make them all NPCs.

Really, it just doesn't seem to work out unless you change things massively at which point you have to wonder why they didn't just put that effort into a new game instead of trying to "fix" an aspect of an older game that isn't broken.

Edited by Sunwoo

I don't think we need marriage systems for a good game and I wouldn't mind having a small FE6 cast modifiable by your FE7 playthrough. Lyn yeah maybe they could explain how she fits in FE6 better since she can be the Mother of several units.

Yes. After FE6's remake has been released.

Since I'm counting the bundle as 2 entirely seperate games.

Several Blazing Blade characters are canonical parents of Binding Blade characters and that doesn't change. Linking them up superflously because it'd be nice to have an extended plot might be nice in theory (I do actually kinda want it) but it would likely lead to complications in the later half of the game because characters that exist might have better stats (and skills if implemented) that could literally have them curbstomp their part of the game. On the other hand, there's another problem that if the devs made the game with that factor in mind, bad pairings would sufficiently screw over the players and cause problems that make it insanely difficult for casual players who are just after experiencing the story.

What I propose is done:

Keep the games entirely seperate and have an import Save feature a-la Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn WITH access to end-game pairings and the like considered EXCLUSIVELY for the Bundled Version that would come with FE7's remake. This is a great special bundle idea and the bundled version could feature many what-if scenarios and characters that weren't present in the original remake that could ultimately be used for this feature.

Then as a bit of DLC many months (or perhaps a year or 2) later, it could be released for the original remake versions or heck, upon release of the bundle.

That way, we appease multiple sides by only adding a few things optionally in a different version that will eventually be added as DLC AND the company makes more profits in the long-term because people like Special Editions and such.

To quote myself from a previous thread on the topic: 

I'm against it. Unlike Book 1 and 2 of Mystery, Binding Blade and Blazing Sword have a twenty-year gap between them that renders them ultimately pretty irrelevant to each other. They share a general world and a handful of characters, but not much else, and I'd rather neither game suffer the abridging and cast reduction they had to do to get the Book 1/3 format work. The most I would like to see is some sort of save bonus feature where the children in 6 Echoes get growth modifiers or special items depending on who their parent was in 7 Echoes.

That thread was about an FE3 format for the two, but it applies to any form of them being connected together.

Edited by Azure Sen

I agree completely with the op about not being convinced by the "connecting the stories together" reasoning. I just feel that either they wouldn't change enough, and the plot wouldn't feel sufficiently connected, and they failed at what they set out to accomplish, or they would change so much that the games would feel vastly different from their originals. I don't feel there's a good middle ground between the two either. Honestly I would just like to see two stand alone Echoes remakes of FE6 and FE7.

I feel either should be playable at the start with the option of playing Binding with data from Blazing (a la the Tellius series). Beyond that? No problems with the two being together. That's less money I'd have to pay, lol. Just as long as stuff doesn't get cut for space like Book one of Mystery

Edited by Arcphoenix

No. 6 and 7 have largely different stories that don't really need to be packaged together, and there aren't nearly enough child units in 6 to justify an inheritance mechanic. You have the Lyn puzzle in 6, sure, but she can easily be explained by a couple extra gaiden chapters where you recruit her or something.

I view it as a pretty moot point considering they didn't package New Mystery with Shadow Dragon, a game that was originally conceived as bundled together with its previous game. IS and Nintendo really have no motivation to release them as one game when they can release them as two for less work and more money.

No. We shouldn't be thinking about something that might not even happen for another 10 years at most. We already have one game coming and an ongoing gambling game, I don't see why people are so bent out of shape over the potential of an FE4,5,6,7,8+ remake/port/whatever.

no. they're two complete and completely different games. if anything, they should release all the gba games in a remastered edition of each, not even remake, or even just a trilogy re-release, mostly because the three games have nothing to do with each other and there's no way fe6/7 could work as an echoes remake in the same game. 

Edited by (s)ad touch

Much as I'm a fan of having them in a manner similar to book 1 + 2 with the option of having data from 7 having effects on 6, I think @Light Strategist might have put the most likely approach towards it out there. The only reason this has come up is because the director for SoV said he'd like to do BB next and we know nothing about what's after Three Houses. We have no idea if that's what would happen at all.

i'd say joining the two games into one huge adventure  (No waifu emblem) so no getting to flirt with Louise  (sorry Mangs) plus if it stayed true to it's original formula and had no "shiver" casual mode! then we would have a interesting game. Take shadows of valentia  for example that game was amazing  yes the maps were huge but the dungeon crawling was what won it over for me. Fire Emblem Echoes: Eblibian Chronicles would be a day one buy for me  and if it was fully voice acted   that would be a plus with the option to have a  japanese track as dlc to please the weebs. (Although i wouldn't be doing that) 

16 hours ago, Hirokaski said:

it's a good point  but who knows maybe they devs can make it work?

Well, I'm not nearly naive enough or optimistic enough to think that. So sorry.

Thinking about it more now: I'm split.

It would be cool to have something like the original Mystery of the Emblem, which are two games in one. However, at the same time it would make no sense to do so considering how disjointed fe6 is from fe7 outside of all of the Bern stuff.  But still, I don't think it would really harm anyone if they perhaps expand on fe6, patching up its many plotholes in relation to fe7 and maybe even adding a few fe7 characters. The FE4-like inheritance system could probably work, but it has to be handled a certain way or else if would just cause more problems.

6 hours ago, Jerry Kuma said:

Thinking about it more now: I'm split.

It would be cool to have something like the original Mystery of the Emblem, which are two games in one. However, at the same time it would make no sense to do so considering how disjointed fe6 is from fe7 outside of all of the Bern stuff.  But still, I don't think it would really harm anyone if they perhaps expand on fe6, patching up its many plotholes in relation to fe7 and maybe even adding a few fe7 characters. The FE4-like inheritance system could probably work, but it has to be handled a certain way or else if would just cause more problems.

What plot holes?

Just now, Jotari said:

What plot holes?

I can't remember anything off of the top of my head, but even still it isn't something to really lose sleep about. I meant to say inconsistencies when comparing certain details and plot points to things from fe7 as a result of fe6 being made after fe7. As well as stuff from fe7 that couldn't have been explained in fe6.

Point is: a remake can remedy any sort of story issues that naturally comes about when something is given a prequel afterwards.