Old classes you would like to see return to the franchise

I miss light mages (and by extension, light magic). I always loved the idea of holy mages smiting enemies. Although I wouldn't want it back without reworking the magic triangle to not be worthless. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Blind faith is willingly accepting whatever is thrown at us out of pure loyalty, which none of us are doing. 

Stop complaining about other people’s opinions, and jumping down other people’s throats about something you don’t like.

as for the topic, I enjoyed using nomads in the elibe games, I wouldn’t mind seeing them agian. Granted bow knight is almost the same thing, but I would like to see the no forest terrain penalty again on some mounted class.

and can we please have echoes archers back, maybe not QUITE as much range as before or movement as a bow knight but that would kind of make my last point contradictory, but at a bare minimum 1-2 range

And what about the fact that once Shoblongoo brought up laguz, you were immediately on board without so much as a second thought?? That's no different, from where I'm standing.

59 minutes ago, Jotari said:

The topic title is meant to be about what people like; what they want to see again. You're jumping on and telling people no, they're wrong for liking the things they wrong. The series is shit and it's always going to be shit and anything that was poorly executed once is forever destined to wallow in shit because this is a terrible game series with terrible ideas that you hate and think all the rest of us should hate. There's a time and place for arguing things, but it's not here. I don't even mind that you're commenting on other people's opinions, it's your attitude that's isn't appreciated. Just, don't be such a dick about things. Let people like what they like. 

Sure, I can be rather aggressive, but so what? In all seriousness, I don't really think laguz would be anything other than forced outside of the Tellius setting. And that's ignoring the gameplay complications - like I said, I think that the concept that laguz work under just does not work when you can permanently lose your units; also, with laguz needing to transform first, they're just walking failure conditions until then. Especially when they're generally not that much more powerful than beorc as to make up for the myriad of disadvantages they have relative to them (with the royals being the exception and not the rule, of course). It doesn't really help that Radiant Dawn had damn near all the non-royal laguz be hot garbage. Also, I'd much rather see IS come up with new ideas than squander second chances on ideas they fucked up with in the past...

Edited by Shadow Mir

3 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

And what about the fact that once Shoblongoo brought up laguz, you were immediately on board without so much as a second thought?? That's no different, from where I'm standing.

Because, shockingly, I happen to share the same opinion on him about laguz. I KNOW shocking we have common ground. I found them very fun in POR and there’s a lot they can do with them in another game.

2 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Because, shockingly, I happen to share the same opinion on him about laguz. I KNOW shocking we have common ground. I found them very fun in POR and there’s a lot they can do with them in another game.

Well, whatever. I still think that they'd be forced outside of the Tellius setting, and that if they showed up again, it would be for the sake of fanservice and pandering...

On 8-8-2018 at 5:19 AM, Shadow Mir said:

Out of these, three of them need to promote to gain the ability to fight... in a game where 20 is the minimum promotion level. And healers are already annoying enough to raise as it is. Safe to say that the foot healers (or at least Lana and her mother) aren't going to be promoting any time soon because Horse Emblem. . . 

They'll need a two chapters to promote which really isn't that much. I remember Edain being promoted in chapter 3 and Lana being promoted chapter 8 but Lana could probably have been promoted earlier if I didn't kill her on purpose in the previous chapter to deny her falling in love with Seliph.

Edited by Hekselka

8 hours ago, Kruggov said:

This is also a game Return exists, and it's CHEAP to replair (only 5000), and it and Warp allow you to get healers up fast. AND it's also the game where Physic and especially Fortify give a ton of exp. On my play of FE4, Edain hit 20 about by the end chapter 2, Ethlyn about halfway through the same chapter, Lachesis by the end of 3, Lana i don't really remember - about end of 7, I think,  and Coirpre was 20 by the end of his join chapter thanks to Fortify spam (though I'm sure he'd be worse off with any father other than Claud).

AND it's also Horse Emblem. Simply put, for this to happen, you would have to slow down. Repeatedly. Return or whatever aren't worth a damn when you can't keep up, after all... And, once again, healers are mostly dependent on villages for money.

20 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

They'll need a two chapters to promote which really isn't that much. I remember Edain being promoted in chapter 3 and Lana being promoted chapter 8 but Lana could probably have been promoted earlier if I didn't kill her on purpose in the previous chapter to deny her falling in love with Seliph.

See above.

Edited by Shadow Mir

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

AND it's also Horse Emblem. Simply put, for this to happen, you would have to slow down. Repeatedly. Return or whatever aren't worth a damn when you can't keep up, after all... And, once again, healers are mostly dependent on villages for money.

Not really. For example, you can have Lachesis buy the Return in Ch.2, then just have her and Edain repeadedly Warp/Return one another while your horses do things (because yes, it's one chapter where Horse Emblem shows its ugliness, and Lachesis suffers from three idiotic knights). By the end of chapter, Edain should be easily 20, and Lachesis should be close - no need to slow down at all. Then there's also the fact that NOTHING pushes you to actually end chapters fast - once enemies are gone, you have all the time in the world.

Unless it's a draft. Then yeah, Horse Emblem. Ok, I'll stop that, it's a derail.

The classes I really want back are brigands/pirates, actually playable soldiers (FE14 doesn't count and 15 they are a stepping stone on a road to Knight - and nobody ever used them because 4 move for the entire game sucks), and actually combat-able troubadours a-la FE4/5.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/9/2018 at 3:05 AM, Kruggov said:

Not really. For example, you can have Lachesis buy the Return in Ch.2, then just have her and Edain repeadedly Warp/Return one another while your horses do things (because yes, it's one chapter where Horse Emblem shows its ugliness, and Lachesis suffers from three idiotic knights). By the end of chapter, Edain should be easily 20, and Lachesis should be close - no need to slow down at all. Then there's also the fact that NOTHING pushes you to actually end chapters fast - once enemies are gone, you have all the time in the world.

Which requires me to go completely out of my way to make happen... yeah, screw that noise. Regardless, the fact that FE4's gameplay is so slow is something I see as a huge negative (I feel like I'm going up against the game itself (and boredom) more than the enemy... that's a massive problem, as I see it)... but that's neither here nor there.

14 minutes ago, Heptade said:

I'd like to see the GBA magic triangle once again, so I guess I'd have Bishops come back. And Dark Mages need to drop anima. 

Which would most likely do nothing but waste game code because why the hell are you having your mages engage other mages, besides stalling them? Or their being stronger the the enemy by a notable margin, at which point the magic triangle means nothing?

Edited by Shadow Mir

7 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Which would most likely do nothing but waste game code because why the hell are you having your mages engage other mages, besides stalling them? Or their being stronger the the enemy by a notable margin, at which point the magic triangle means nothing?

Jesus Christ can you chill out at all? 

Anyway 

freelancer was a very fun class the few times I used it in SD, and playable Ballisticians were amazing and seeing them back would be cool. 

4 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Jesus Christ can you chill out at all? 

Anyway 

freelancer was a very fun class the few times I used it in SD, and playable Ballisticians were amazing and seeing them back would be cool. 

I am chill. And I'm just being honest, besides - outside of Heroes, mage vs mage combat generally was a waste of a turn.

2 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

I am chill. And I'm just being honest, besides - outside of Heroes, mage vs mage combat generally was a waste of a turn.

You literally just denounced his opinion as a waste of game code. 

Thats not exactly the most chill sentence I’ve ever heard.

i kinda want the old wyvern knight/ falco knight split back as opposed to kinshi knight and such, mostly because i just love using the wyvern knight class in general in fe8 runs. of course, they would be somewhat similar to the wyvern lord class in a modern fe engine, but they were distinct enough classes to begin, so i don't personally see many issues with adding them back in.

edit; also chill @Shadow Mir seriously, these are opinions. you can disagree with them, publicly even, but no need to imply a genuine message of "your opinion is wrong"

Edited by (s)ad touch

1 hour ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

You literally just denounced his opinion as a waste of game code. 

Thats not exactly the most chill sentence I’ve ever heard.

Well, whatever. I am not one to believe in holding back for the sake of being nice anyhow.  Instead, I prefer to say what I feel - which is that the magic triangle is an afterthought. It was either useless or broken in literally every FE game with it.

7 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Well, whatever. I am not one to believe in holding back for the sake of being nice anyhow.  Instead, I prefer to say what I feel - which is that the magic triangle is an afterthought. It was either useless or broken in literally every FE game with it.

That doesn’t mean you need to be rude to people. There’s such a thing as “respectfully disagreeing” with people 

On 8/4/2018 at 10:18 AM, Purple Mage said:

Ballisticians! The FE1/FE11 kind! Fantasy motorized artillery! Siege engines have always been interesting to me, and I think they should be given more importance in FE considering how in real life siege engines were crucial to any siege.

This! I expected them in Awakening but oh well...

On 8/4/2018 at 8:45 PM, Light Strategist said:

Yeah, I guess. But I was looking at the prospect of a non-promoted Mounted Bow which we haven't really seen since Tellius. At least by my memory.

But the Nomads could have an special Skill unique to them like something about forests and such!

On 8/4/2018 at 2:55 PM, Superfan said:

I’d like to see armor mages make a return, especially if it meant having a playable one. They don’t have to be anything great, but the novelty would be interesting. 

Armored Mages with high Def and high Res, oh booooy!

6 minutes ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

Armored Mages with high Def and high Res, oh booooy!

I don't remember if this was brought up, but they were called Barons, and they were in the Jugdral games. They were also annoying as all hell thanks to Great Shield, AKA Big Shield, AKA Pavise, AKA annoying bullshit block.

Regarding armour mages (barons) if they were to return they would have to (in my opinion) Have a shortcoming of some sort. Hitting res and being bulky in both def and res  is kind of a hard thing to counter, so i think they would have to some statistical failing like low HP or abysmal speed and luck to counteract that immense bulk.

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

I don't remember if this was brought up, but they were called Barons, and they were in the Jugdral games. They were also annoying as all hell thanks to Great Shield, AKA Big Shield, AKA Pavise, AKA annoying bullshit block.

Imagine having one as an ally, though! That would be pretty awesome!

1 hour ago, Sage of the Mist said:

Regarding armour mages (barons) if they were to return they would have to (in my opinion) Have a shortcoming of some sort. Hitting res and being bulky in both def and res  is kind of a hard thing to counter, so i think they would have to some statistical failing like low HP or abysmal speed and luck to counteract that immense bulk.

Low HP and Spd would be good to balance that fat piece of meat class and perhaps, it's reachable as a third tier promotion or something along those lines?

1 hour ago, This boi uses Nino said:

OG Paladin. with the full weapon triangle dominion.

Imagine if they can also wield bows like in FE9

54 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

which is that the magic triangle is an afterthought. It was either useless or broken in literally every FE game with it.

Couldn't this same logic be applied to the regular weapon triangle? If the basis of your argument is that mages attacking each other is useless, can't the exact same be said about physical units attacking one another? I'm really struggling to find some logic in your reasoning here.

14 minutes ago, Sage of the Mist said:

Couldn't this same logic be applied to the regular weapon triangle? If the basis of your argument is that mages attacking each other is useless, can't the exact same be said about physical units attacking one another? I'm really struggling to find some logic in your reasoning here.

Cute logic. Too bad you're way off base. Physical units are generally more varied in terms of stat spreads than mages, which as a whole tend to have high resistance with low defense. Ergo, I'm screwed if a mercenary gets to my fighter, but not so much when my mage runs into a shaman.