How can Edelgard's "Edgelord" nickname still be relevant post launch?

By how I'm pretty sure we are all aware of Ms. Freshberg nickname by the fans after the trailer. I'm wondering how long will be called that? Will she make a conversational decision in the story to keep the name.? Or she she part of the invading kingdom that wishes to  break the status quo, despite the consequences? I guess the answer will be revealed next year,

Forever. She will be called that forever. She could end up being the blobbiest moe blob to ever moe and she will still be referred to as "Edgelord" because memes and memes are like Faceless: they have been dead for years but will be revived for no real purpose other than for gits and shiggles.

Considering Edelgard is a very real name, I doubt that. Though I don't think the name sees much use these days. I gotta say, I find it always kinda amusing when Japanese names give old German names to young characters because it just doesn't feel right.

Anyway, personally I only used Edgelord until I was confident I could write out her name properly. Edgelord is already one of my nicknames for Corrin. And I don't want to relate any character to him unless I really mean it.

Edited by BrightBow

Invariably, in the quest for names that look exotic or which are accurate to location or theme one is going for, there are going to be cases where the names look funny in another language in the right conditions. What appears to be a perfectly fine Germanic name, ends up looking like silly in modern English in a certain subculture. At least it's better than Pearl S. Buck's main character in The Good Earth being a Chinese farmer named Wang Lung.

And if this Edelgard is that white-haired girl in red I've seen some people use an avi recently (I'm going to buy 3H without watching a minute of its footage- I'll leave SF to tell me in words whether the game has an awesome political plot, or foot messaging someone wearing only a bath towel and you're looking up at them) then I've never called her Edgelord. Only Elma, because XCX.

2 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

I gotta say, I find it always kinda amusing when Japanese names give old German names to young characters.

As old as the name may seem, somebody in reality had it from birth, it was there through their childhood. And Edelgard looks pretty, unlike say the name "Grover", but who am I to judge the name conventions of the past?

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

As old as the name may seem, somebody in reality had it from birth, it was there through their childhood. And Edelgard looks pretty, unlike say the name "Grover", but who am I to judge the name conventions of the past?

That reminds me, I recall that as a kid it felt like there were the names that old people had and the names that younger people had. And I struggled to imagine that someone named Hilda or whatever could ever have been a kid because of that. I guess I didn't get the concept of "trends" back then.

Just now, BrightBow said:

That reminds me, I recall that as a kid it felt like there were the names that old people had and the names that younger people had. And I struggled to imagine that someone named Hilda or whatever could ever have been a kid because of that. I guess I didn't get the concept of "trends" back then.

Better than me sort of thinking in the old days color didn't exist because old movies and TV shows lacked it. (Well to be fair, color doesn't exactly exist, it's all in our minds, being nothing more than the wavelengths of light as distinguished by the eyes of living organisms.)

I remember the once-popular, but not exactly to be totally trusted at face-value, Freakanomics book said names trends went from the top of society down. Names that start popular with the upper crust filter down to the middle class, and the working class/poor then get stuck with the name when its no longer in vogue. I very much doubt this to be true of all names, maybe of some, but I think some names are also popular based on recent movies nowadays. That and I heard Katrina took a popularity hit when Hurricane Katrina struck.

I'll stop here, before things get too FFtF.

Probably because plenty of people will easily read it as edgelord by accident, it'll be at worst in the same boat as corn, people still use it because it is funny to them and I don't see edgelord going anywhere in that regard. The meme never dies until it reaches facebook, then it has been dead for a score year and in that time it has been dug up, desiccated, defiled, reburied, dug up again, and put on display in bill cosby's front yard

She's Edelweiss in my heart. ;/

As long as people think that stupid puns are the way to get laughs, they'll call her "Edgelord", even if she has two loving parents, the most boring family ever, and a character more bland than cardboard.

1 hour ago, thecrimsonflash said:

Probably because plenty of people will easily read it as edgelord by accident, it'll be at worst in the same boat as corn, people still use it because it is funny to them and I don't see edgelord going anywhere in that regard. The meme never dies 

I loathe memes, none are truly good. And you didn't mention how Takumi, Ryoma, and Walhart also get dragged down by memeific names and or appearances. (And yet Tiki has escaped being called a totem pole.)

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

She's Edelweiss in my heart. ;/

Which makes me think she is suddenly a mid-heavy tank. Best keep her away from anti-tank lances and units with rapid fire who are ordered to attack her. And whatever you do never, ever, EVER let her blue radiating backside be exposed to the enemy!

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Which makes me think she is suddenly a mid-heavy tank. Best keep her away from anti-tank lances and units with rapid fire who are ordered to attack her. And whatever you do never, ever, EVER let her blue radiating backside be exposed to the enemy!

She is going to RUN ENEMIES OVER, and they will like it.  Or that's how I justify it to myself.  Because every FE lord is good in some way shape or form. . .right?

No, I don't remember this guy named "Roy".

13 minutes ago, eclipse said:

She is going to RUN ENEMIES OVER, and they will like it.  Or that's how I justify it to myself.  Because every FE lord is good in some way shape or form. . .right?

No, I don't remember this guy named "Roy".

Except Running over enemies never hurt them lol, Somehow I think her nickname will stay regardless of her personality, Edgelord perfectly defines her weapon choices, Being an Axe and Sword user, as well as a Lord, So Edgelord is a perfect description for her.

Just as Pr*cklord could define mr Spear or Bow Lord. :P

Depends on what the pronounciation ultimately is in english, and how often that gets pushed into our thick skulls. If it starts with the sound E(like the letter, which the katakana contradicts, but seems to be the original german pronunciation), the meme could drop within a month.

It could also be replaced by an official nickname, if it's relevant enough. Like Lyn for Lyndis, though that's a bit of a different case and nicknames are otherwise pretty rare throughout this series.

Edited by Cysx

2 hours ago, Jerry Kuma said:

No, its just a stupid nickname people gave her because Edelgard sort of looks like Edgelord.

Also because it's just one letter away from being an anagram for Edgelord.

I never really thought of her as "Edgelord" tbh. I didn't think of that nickname until I saw people talk about it online. It's probably because I focused more on the sound of "Edelgard" rather than the spelling. I, too, thought of Edelweiss before Edgelord.

I never thought of that nickname when I saw her and its a stupid one at that since it obviously doesn't fit the character she'll be at all....at least that died down very quickly. I too thought of Edelweiss and another anime character also sharing her name! plus love that her name is a german meaning of being a noble protector!

Edited by Regal Edelgard Axe Master