Under Grey Skies: An FE8 ROM Hack

Amberstorm

It's really fun although a bit on the easy side. I like the characters a lot. I know you said they've been busy but once the script gets polished it'll be even nicer. Bruce, Beo and Ray are OP though. I love how the healer has access to light magic right away like in SoA. Dancing and healing give too much xp I feel but it's your game. The mercy skill on the jeigan is also really neat. Beo and Fern are pretty adorable also. What were your inspirations for your hack? I'm looking forward to the upcoming releases; thanks for all the hard work you and your team put into it.

Edited by Rewind

Just finished.  I have to say, I really enjoyed this hack.  Fern, Ray, Raphael, and Donovan were probably my favorite characters to use.

A few questions, mostly about classes:

• I noticed Nadia starts at Level 0.  Is there a reason for this?  Also, she learns Paragon upon reaching Level 1, but her class description says it's supposed to learn Bond.
  • Does the Hound class just not promote?  If not, what does it have to compensate?
  • I noticed a few new promoted classes like Grassrunner, Centurion, and the new Dancer promotions, but never actually got to see them in action.  How do those work?
  • Audrey can't promote with the Infantry Seal despite being an infantry class?  What does she promote with, then?
  • Do you plan to eventually give Fern a proper female battle sprite?

2 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Just finished.  I have to say, I really enjoyed this hack.  Fern, Ray, Raphael, and Donovan were probably my favorite characters to use.

A few questions, mostly about classes:

• I noticed Nadia starts at Level 0.  Is there a reason for this?  Also, she learns Paragon upon reaching Level 1, but her class description says it's supposed to learn Bond.
  • Does the Hound class just not promote?  If not, what does it have to compensate?
  • I noticed a few new promoted classes like Grassrunner, Centurion, and the new Dancer promotions, but never actually got to see them in action.  How do those work?
  • Audrey can't promote with the Infantry Seal despite being an infantry class?  What does she promote with, then?
  • Do you plan to eventually give Fern a proper female battle sprite?

- That was an error on my part, this is already fixed

-Hound does promote, it's available in Part 2

-Grassrunner used to be a second promotion for Thief, but we have changed it, Centurion is what should be the 2nd Soldier promotion, 

-Audrey should be able to use the Infantry Seal, it is fixed now

-Yes, eventually

47 minutes ago, Amberstorm said:

-Audrey should be able to use the Infantry Seal, it is fixed now

Now?  As in when I re-download and apply the current patch, or when I eventually download the patch for Part 2?

BTW, there is a female Fighter battle animation here if I'm not mistaken, but it's based on the original Fighter animation and not the Tellius-style one.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

2 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Now?  As in when I re-download and apply the current patch, or when I eventually download the patch for Part 2?

When Part 2 comes out, we only want to do major updates, not small updates

Update: After a multi hour call with my writing team, we have made massive changes to our original script for the chapters later on, as such, we have scrapped a story arc we felt unnecessary and are instead focusing on the primary conflict establish in Act 1 even further. Because of this, we are now fairly confident in our chapter count being around 31, with 28 main chapters and 3 Gaiden-type maps, which though I can't spoil, 2 of said 3 are some of my favorite maps as both a developer but mainly as a writer. Because of this, we will be restructuring our release schedule not in entire acts, but chunks of acts, as completing an entire act in a timely fashion when University exists is not going to happen. As such, the next patch will contain 6 chapters, 2-P, 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 2-4 and 1 Gaiden chapter. 2-P is completed minus writing and eventing, with the gaiden not far behind and 2-1 and 2-2 are already on the path to being made. 2-3 and 2-4 have rough outlines but have not entered the design process yet. That's it for 2.0 updates

• 2 weeks later...

Update: We've been doing some work updating the game for our 1.5, but since I have officially started university, time is going to be difficult to come by. We still hope to release 1.5 soon, so we'll keep you guys updated. For now, I'll just send a screenshot of a unit a lot of people called underwhelming, so we went ahead and buffed her quite a bit

Eleanor.png

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

alright guys, so I have a rather large update but before I explain the update let me just clarify: My goal in life is to become a video game dev, UGS has functioned primarily as a testing ground for ideas for the games that I actually want to make, but of course, using a hack of a GBA ROM is probably not the best thing to put on a resume and definitely not something I want to release as my own work. So, we're upgrading engines. Yep, that's what I've been doing these past months, I've been working on converting UGS to the SRPG Studio engine. This change gives me so much more freedom and creativity when it comes to making the game, and I've already made quite a few shifts to the mechanics (all hits are 100%, removal of crits, more unique skills, base conversations, side missions etc) and allows me to actually show off my work to potential employers in a non-legally questionable method. I know some people might be disappointed in the shift away from GBA but I hope that you guys understand. As for what comes next, I've finished translating all 7 maps of part 1 and gameplay is finished up to 1-4. There will also be 2-3 additional side missions added to Part 1. As for the script, I have been working to make the script feel more natural and cutting out unneeded fat (redrafting is super important kids) so at the moment I am finalizing 1-P today with the bulk of 1-1 finished but requiring edits and a final redraft. So, my current plan will be to release an early Alpha containing the first 2 chapters of the game, then I will be holding off releasing anything else until I have finished all of Part 1, which I'm hoping will also include original sprites and music if I can find the funds to commission all of the assets, as well as an artist/composer I feel, is up to my standards of quality and vision for what I see the game looking like. So, expected images of the SRPG version of the game to start trailing in soon and the public alpha's release coming in the next few weeks/month depending on how school goes. Thank you guys so much for your support of UGS and I hope you'll enjoy this latest update when it launches.

• 2 weeks later...
Here it is guys, the UGS: SRPG Edition Alpha! The alpha only contains the first chapter at the moment, as we are doing some pretty massive redrafting to the existing 1-1 script but want to show something. A couple of minor bugs have been found, and we are working on them currently. We also have a new server for all of my planned project, though UGS is the only one that is public at the moment. https://discord.gg/UGhctpP https://mega.nz/#F!OPwhRQxL!5OEcml3WshVmiuCMa-tP1w(edited)
YOU SENT AN INVITE TO JOIN A SERVER

Amberlabs Studio Official Discord
13 Online18 Members