Jedi tried Smash Ultimate

Jedi

I got a few goes at Smash Ultimate during my time at EVO.

Around 10 rounds, the characters I played as were Ike x2, Corrin x2, Zelda, Cloud, Ganondorf, Kirby, Pikachu, and Marth.

First the game itself, had to use the Pro Controller, it felt a bit awkward for the first two matches, everything is quite a bit faster again. Directional single air dodges are back and can be used for movement as well.

Dashing feels like a dream though you can quickly reverse your momentum so those of you who have trouble dash dancing. This game makes it much easier to do, and the ability to use any attack out of a run is spectacular. The balloon knockback is still very bizarre to me and wasn't easy to get used to, but combos are still mostly a thing, however I agree with the pros that there is currently not enough hitstun for the more fast paced game they're aiming for. But I believe that'll be improved as we get closer to December.

After you adapt to the weirdness it feels very natural, and most aerial moves auto canceling on landing gave benefits to many characters who needed it.

2 framing people at the ledge seems to be absent oddly enough 

now let's go to the Characters.

Ike 

Ike felt mostly improved, aerials are faster, his just about as hard in Smash 4, and his neutral air is an amazing combo tool, dtilt is also a main ground combo starter, utilt is faster, his smashes seem relatively unchanged besides Usmash being a little quicker, jab is still really quick and has quicker follow ups. His new up air is much better than his old one, being now more like Marth, Lucina and Roys but stronger and a tad slower.

His B moves are mostly the same besides fully charged eruption gives it 3 pillars to extend outward with its charge up being faster, and Aether on stage now has more horizontal knockback.

his grab game unfortunately took a massive hit, gone are his throw combos for the most part besides dthrow uair, you can now air dodge out of his old uthrow fair combo from Smash 4.

While Ike seems overall better I see him retaining the same issues when the meta evolves. Namely being a big body, with a mediocre recovery, and no surefire kill setups, sure he has a better combo game but he doesn't have anything that plainly sets up a kill, dash into tilts is huge for Ike however and can improve that combo game potentially. Although his issue with projectiles might still kill him in the long run.

Corrin

Corrin feels largely the same as Smash 4 but with better run speed, and the new mechanics, and they honestly benefit them heavily, the odd side b kick nerf doesn't do that much, and Corrin having access to their great tilts from Dash is pretty great, they still have Insta Pin. Recovery is largely the same. Counter still feels really strong and the usual strings like fair to fair to uair still work.

They are also the character I had the most overall fun with in the demo.

Marth

Marth is amazing, hands down, felt very strong overall, basically his final patch Smash 4 self but also with Brawl quirks, the new version of Dancing Blade is mildly slower to start up but is overall faster and stronger, especially when tippered. Marth's dash is spectacular. His aerials feel like Brawls again.

I foresee Marth being one of the best characters in the game, just due to the past and his amazing toolset. He can constantly pressure you and keep you guessing and with the new focus on ledge guarding back along with overall weaker recoveries he's going to be a dominant force.

Ganondorf

Ganondorf I can happily say is much better than both his Brawl and 4 selves, a decent speed upgrade, along with his already solid aerials being lagless on landing, gives him some actual pressure, wizards Foot has amazingly fast start up.

His recovery is still absolutely terrible, but he has some actual grab reach now and I was able to do stuff like jab to dash attack to uair.

Overall Ganondorf feels very fun to play but I don't see him reaching very high competitively, however he might actually have presence there now as opposed to being the near worst character. The new additions benefit him quite a bit. But I could be wrong, he does feel really fun though so that's good.

Kirby

Kirby feels pretty much like his 4 self! Really brutal and punishing when he gets in the opponents face however he retains his main issue from 4 and Brawl, he has no good approaching options against characters with good zoning capabilities, like if he works his way in. He'll do tons of damage and even possibly ko you, but he has to work incredibly hard to get there.

Has his old Melee dash attack, feels like it's actually decent here though.

Probably will retain his mid tier status.

Pikachu

Pikachus nair changed to be more like Mewtwos and honestly it's not as impressive as his old spamable nair, it's cool sure but the old one is spamable and super easy to set things up with.

His dair spikes now which is insane for a character who is so fast and good at stuffing people off stage.

Pretty much similar to the Pikachu you know and love besides that

Pikachu will continue to be the strong character he is but possibly a little worse due to the changes he got to make Pichu stand out more.

Zelda

Zelda feels overall much improved, however it remains to be seen if it'll be enough as her main issues are how her moveset was created in the first place.

Nayrus love allows you to move side to side a little in mid air, Dins Fire no longer puts her in free fall and Farores seems better. Overall Zelda seems pretty strong grounded, but her aerial game while improved due to the changes, seems to be lacking and her neutral game seems to also need more

Being able to set the Phantom makes it an actual move, and her moves overall feel strong but I did have my opponent fall out of usmash once.

her new jab is pretty strong, her dash is ok. Dtilt out of run is nice, but I don't think it's all enough she still gets out ranged and her neutral still needs a few more tools. Along with being relegated still to nair and neutral b for a bit of neutral.

her grabs seem decently powerful at least.

Cloud

Clouds range has been severely cut, he retains his speed and general power from Smash 4, although now he's not quite as dominant in neutral both due to the range decrease and limit being actually limited in being 15 seconds. His off stage presence is likely to be weakened and his recovery is going to be much easier to exploit.

However he still is insanely fast, limit is dangerous, he can juggle with uair (not as well though) and general Cloud stuff but it's overall weaker. So he's still generally the same character but less insane.

Overall I really like how Ultimate feels so far and if people have more questions feel free to ask.

Edited by Jedi

Who did you fight against (character-wise)? I'm curious if you noticed anything else that stood out in terms of character differences. Did they change ike's bone-crushing Ragnell SFX? Why didn't you Sonic? AND Meet anyone else from smashboards?

5 minutes ago, Elieson said:

Who did you fight against (character-wise)? I'm curious if you noticed anything else that stood out in terms of character differences. Did they change ike's bone-crushing Ragnell SFX? Why didn't you Sonic? AND Meet anyone else from smashboards?

I can go over some impressions of Link, Ridley, Inkling and a few others from facing them in a bit.

I didn't get to use Sonic because I had taken some requests and I had to cut down on someone, I'll be trying him in the future though.

and nope only met up with the SF EVO crew.

Also it wasn't easy to hear sfx it sounded similar to smash 4 though.

Man I really want to see Pichu playable in a demo somewhere so I can hear how great she is. I need to get ready as a Pichu main after all XD

Need to fix something I said, Cloud actually has gained frames on several moves and his grab is about as fast as Zeldas now, which isn't that great.

I'd be glad to hear your thoughts on Link, he's my primary guy since forever. Haven't been looking into much but I recall his sword looking longer.

5 minutes ago, Carter said:

Did you notice or feel as if Zelda ran faster or jumped higher at all?

She feels a little faster, jump height is relatively the same, she seemed less floaty though.

Kirby has no good approaching opinions? Wow, way to not be accepting of what he likes or dislikes. :P

Any opinions on Greg Chun's work as Ike, or was it too loud to hear?

2 hours ago, NoirCore said:

Kirby has no good approaching opinions? Wow, way to not be accepting of what he likes or dislikes. :P

Any opinions on Greg Chun's work as Ike, or was it too loud to hear?

Oops, I blame my phone. 

What little I did manage to hear of Chun it was great, however it was mostly too loud. 

3 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Did you taunt cancel a bunch? That's what I'd do.

Nah only 2 and a half mintues per match I wanted to actually play.

23 hours ago, Jedi said:

and nope only met up with the SF EVO crew.

Nice (Who was the whole crew; was it you four from the picture I saw in Discord or was there anyone else?).

Also, fighting _against_ ridley sounds like a chore and a half, from what I've seen and read about. Can't wait for your summary