Who's Lyon's Successor?

I think, this has never been answered in-game, but who rules over Grado after it's royal family died. Has it been too hurt by the earthquake and the war to even be it's own kingdom and got annexed to Renais? Has Ephraim or Eirika become King/Queen of Grado? Has Duessel taken over as Ruler and made Amelia his Heir? What do you think, is the most likely?

I am going to go with Duessel is made king against his wishes since he is the most known Gardo person who goes back.  Knoll becomes an adviser along with Cormag and Duessel and the other two train Amelia to take over since Duessel does not want to be king for very long and only agreed because no one else would and he loved his country so much he did it.  At least that is my head cannon since I can't see Duessel letting his country go even more to ruin.

Well, Ephraim would most certainly not claim the crown itself, but I would imagine that he effectively serves as the head of state until something can get worked out. Which is no doubt gonna take a while, given the humanitarian catastrophe occurring there.

It is never stated what happens to Grado exactly. Nor do we have a sequel like RD to resolve what happened.

None of the Gradoan Character Endings explain it:

Spoiler

Duessel, Obsidian General

Following the war, Duessel returned to Grado, where he was instrumental in its rebuilding. He spent his remaining years watching over Grado and sharing his wisdom with other nations as an expert combat instructor.

Natasha, Sacred Healer

Once the war was over, Natasha returned to Grado to help rebuild the empire. She dedicated herself to easing the grief of those families that lost soldiers during the war.

Amelia, Rose of the War

Following the war, she returned to Grado to assist in her country’s reconstruction. She surrounded herself with new friends and used the strength she found on the battlefield to live her life in happiness.

Cormag, Aloof Lanceman

Cormag returned to Grado to assist in the reconstruction of his country. Shortly after, he left to wander on his own. When he reappeared, he rejoined the army not as a knight but as a common soldier.

Knoll, Watcher of Darkness

Knoll returned to Grado, where he dedicated himself to rebuilding it and fulfilling Lyon’s vision. When the country was restored to its former glory, he disappeared without a trace, never to be seen again.

They speak of reconstruction and the "empire", but nothing more.

Nor does the Epilogue help. Eirika's is devoid of reference to Grado, and although Ephraim's references the massive earthquake (Eirika's doesn't- it never comes up in her story unless you have Knoll support Natasha or Duessel)...

Spoiler

Eirika:
“Where are you going, Brother? We’ve endured so much to get home, and now…”

Ephraim:
“I’m sorry, Eirika. I must journey to Grado. I just received word from Seth. In the south, within the empire, there has been an enormous landslide.”

Eirika:
“A landslide?”

Ephraim:
“Yes. Word is it was so great that whole cities were destroyed. They say the damage is so severe, the empire itself is in danger…”

Eirika:
“That’s…”

Ephraim:
“That’s why I must go to Grado. The people are saying this is Grado’s divine punishment… But these are the same citizens Lyon wanted nothing more than to protect. I cannot ignore their plight.”

Eirika:
“Yes, of course not. I will ride with you.”

Ephraim:
“No, you must remain in Renais. Our country is recovering, but we cannot rest easy. Someone must stay to protect the realm.”

Eirika:
“Ephraim… I understand. I will take your place until you return. I will wait for you in Renais, Brother.”

Ephraim:
“I can always depend on you, Eirika. Lyon… I will be king. The type of king we often spoke of… Strong and kind in measure: an ideal king. The people of Renais and Grado are under my protection, and I won’t fail them. Watch and see…”

... it too speaks of the "empire". 

Does this mean Grado has a new monarch? Well an empire doesn't necessarily need a monarch, Third Republic France established a formal empire, and the United States an informal one, in the late-1800s to early-1900s. But in a Medieval-ish setting, I would presume there is one. Did they pick a new lineage out of nothing? Or did Lyon have some cousins they picked from (games rarely show the generally plentiful collateral lines of a royal/noble family)?