Voting Gauntlet: The Chosen Ones!

Vaximillian

Voting Gauntlet: The Chosen Ones!  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Whom are you going to support?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/11/2018 at 05:00 AM

6 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

That doesn't in any way show Frederick to be any deep or meaningful character, though. Those are simple character traits that you have simply come to like. Nothing's wrong with that. And people love the things that Veronica gives.

What did we see from Veronica? 

Simple:

• Aesthetically, she can be labeled as an adorable girl.
  • She's lonely and seems to really want friends.
  • Loves her brother.
  • Has Xander be her bodyguard that she has grown to care for.
  • Stood up to Surtur when he considered slaughtering an Askr village.
  • And there are all the adorable Veronica/Xander moments in the Heroes manga strips. 
  • And as a unit, Veronica has again become the best healer and a competent unit that can hold her own.

To you, that's really nothing. But there are many that would love these things. It's all a matter of perspective. Not everyone wants to look for deep meaningful characters. Some just love things for the most simple of reasons. Some would like a character simply because they look cool, and that's it. 

So you can't honestly criticize Veronica fans if they like and support her. That's basically saying those fans have shit taste.

If the things I mentioned don't show Frederick to be meaningful, why do any of those things show Veronica to be meaningful? "loves her sibling" is a basic generic trait found everywhere, btw. "lonly and wanting friends" kind of is too. The manga stuff doesn't count here because I'm talking about strictly in the game. Aesthetic is purely opinionated. I don't find her adorable at all, I think Mist, Elise, and young Tiki are all much cuter girls. But others could easily think differently here. I think Frederick is hot and his armor is cool (heh, those terms. :P). but some others may not think so. All opinions.

I'm just trying to understand why people like her since I've found nothing to like about her, that's all.

7 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Hm... for me he is just the "knight devoted to his lord" archetype. His hatred of bear meat and phobia of wild animals are not something that interesting (quite boring, in my opinion).

I am not defending Veronica, saying she is better than Frederick. But he is not better than her either.

And that's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

If the things I mentioned don't show Frederick to be meaningful, why do any of those things show Veronica to be meaningful? "loves her sibling" is a basic generic trait found everywhere, btw. "lonly and wanting friends" kind of is too. The manga stuff doesn't count here because I'm talking about strictly in the game. Aesthetic is purely opinionated. I don't find her adorable at all, I think Mist, Elise, and young Tiki are all much cuter girls. But others could easily think differently here. I think Frederick is hot and his armor is cool, but some others may not think so. All opinions.

I'm just trying to understand why people like her since I've found nothing to like about her, that's all.

How does the manga not count? People can like her because of the manga, I don't see how that 'doesn't count.' 

Yeah, he's a nice mix!  He's in my core arena team, hence the strange mix of skills.  If I can pull a Spd/Def+, I'll have it off to him.  Actually, I'm a little sad Oscar is the unit they chose to powercreep, but it happens XD

1 minute ago, Diovani Bressan said:

I liked your Oscar is very aggressive, having a FireSweep Lance and Life and Death, but he is also a very good supportive unit, with Rally Spd/Def, Spur Spd/Def and Drive Atk. It's a safe guess to say that you will probably give Rally Spd/Def+ to Oscar, right? i mean... it's better a +6 than a +3, right?

Just now, Anacybele said:

If the things I mentioned don't show Frederick to be meaningful, why do any of those things show Veronica to be meaningful? "loves her sibling" is a basic generic trait found everywhere, btw. "lonly and wanting friends" kind of is too. The manga stuff doesn't count here because I'm talking about strictly in the game. Aesthetic is purely opinionated. I don't find her adorable at all, I think Mist, Elise, and young Tiki are all much cuter girls. But others could easily think differently here. I think Frederick is hot and his armor is cool, but some others may not think so. All opinions.

Did you not read the other stuff at all? 

I said, not everyone looks for the deep and meaningful traits in a character. I wasn't saying that Veronica was deep and meaningful in those things at all. People like her simply because of how she's presented. The manga definitely counts because it's a way for readers to like her that know her from Heroes. This enhances the popularity of a character.

Some just love things for the most simple of reasons. Some would like a character simply because they look cool, and that's it. 

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

And that's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

You just contradicted yourself there. If its an opinion, then don't sound like you're criticizing people for liking Veronica. Because the very concept of liking something is an opinion. Not everyone will like something. 

Ike is popular, but not everyone likes him. Lot of people like Ephraim, but you have me, who can't stand him.

Lucina is very popular, and I love her, but you can't stand her. 

Opinions. These are all opinions. Why we like a character doesn't mean you would like them for those reasons or any reasons. 

For Team Brave Lyn, my current lead is my Valentines Lyn:

+3 +Atk/-HP
+Def Blarowl+
Swap
Iceberg
Close Counter
Bold Fighter 3
Drive Spd 2
Armored Boots

Let me know if you want a different Lyn (+8 +Spd/-Def Brave Lyn, +4 +Def/-HP OG Lyn, +3 +Spd/-Res Bride Lyn, +1 +Spd/-Res Legend Lyn).

5 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

How does the manga not count? People can like her because of the manga, I don't see how that 'doesn't count.' 

...Because as I said, I'm only talking about the game here?

2 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Did you not read the other stuff at all? 

I said, not everyone looks for the deep and meaningful traits in a character. I wasn't saying that Veronica was deep and meaningful in those things at all. People like her simply because of how she's presented. The manga definitely counts because it's a way for readers to like her that know her from Heroes. This enhances the popularity of a character.

You just contradicted yourself there. If its an opinion, then don't sound like you're criticizing people for liking Veronica. Because the very concept of liking something is an opinion. Not everyone will like something. 

Ike is popular, but not everyone likes him. Lot of people like Ephraim, but you have me, who can't stand him.

Lucina is very popular, and I love her, but you can't stand her. 

Opinions. These are all opinions. Why we like a character doesn't mean you would like them for those reasons or any reasons. 

Yeah, of course I read it. I'm surprised people will just like a character for looking cool or nice and that's it. Why doesn't the writing matter as well? The writing is there to be given attention too, not just the way the character looks. And the manga does not count because LIKE I SAID, I'm only talking about the game. I'm not talking about the manga since I hardly know anything from it.

...Where did I contradict anything? I never said people couldn't have opinions about Veronica. I'm just trying to understand some of them.

1 hour ago, Usana said:

. . . Team Roy sucks. All red teams seem to be all I am getting. However, it seems I have no friends on Team Roy. Or at least I am getting two pop ups asking if I want to friend either unit helping me out. Which is odd, I actually thought @mampfoid was on my friend list at the very least, but apparently not. Or at least I was able to send a request(I would assume it would say something if you were trying to request someone already on your list).

Got some red allies so far, but always that +10 Effie from my FL.

Accepted your request (Grimoire, BH!Lyn lead?). For this VG I'm running Cordelia as my lead, but if you like could change to something else (i.e. Cherche, Tana, S!Cordelia). 

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, why did so many people side with her? Heroes has barely done anything with her as a character. I guess some people might like her design, but that's not enough reason to love a character that much, I would think. Is it because she's the only first-timer in this? That's a silly reason to me though...

I hope someone upsets her though, I really do not like her and don't want her to win at all.

Veronica is cool, I voted her at CYL2. I like grey-ish characters (not too good, not too evil) and Heroes is my first FE game. 

Went with Lucina  because I expected her to be the biggest underdog and I really like her CYL version. Oh boy was I right. So many bonus hours coming my way...

I believe this is the biggest miss match in a long time. I think since Summer Corrin steamrolled her VG?

@Zeo You on Lucina as well? I'm pretty sure I see your Matt during the group thing when the score counts up.

3 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

Heroes is my first FE game. 

Really? Have you played any other games yet?

13 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

...Because as I said, I'm only talking about the game here?

Yeah, of course I read it. I'm surprised people will just like a character for looking cool or nice and that's it. Why doesn't the writing matter as well? The writing is there to be given attention too, not just the way the character looks. And the manga does not count because LIKE I SAID, I'm only talking about the game. I'm not talking about the manga since I hardly know anything from it.

...Where did I contradict anything? I never said people couldn't have opinions about Veronica. I'm just trying to understand some of them.

You're trying to think WAY too hard on this. People would like a character for the most simplistic of reasons. You think kids grow up loving characters because of their character? No, they love it because the characters look cool.

I'm a huge Batman fan, not because of Batman's character, but because I loved how cool he looked. 

I didn't know anything about Ike's character when I saw him in Super Smash Bros. He just looked cool to me. 

I've grown since then and learned to like characters for more than just appearance, but the aesthetic sense is a major factor in society. 

18 minutes ago, Hawk King said:

Really? Have you played any other games yet?

Played Awaking around Christmas, but didn't finish my first run yet. 

I like it, but I prefer to play on my smartphone and I prefer smaller player controlled armies. 4 units like in Heroes is pretty ideal when you have to command each movement by yourself. Wished heroes had a comparable story mode, would pay for that. 

I also hate when weapons get destroyed by usage. 

Edited by mampfoid

19 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

You're trying to think WAY too hard on this. People would like a character for the most simplistic of reasons. You think kids grow up loving characters because of their character? No, they love it because the characters look cool.

I'm a huge Batman fan, not because of Batman's character, but because I loved how cool he looked. 

I didn't know anything about Ike's character when I saw him in Super Smash Bros. He just looked cool to me. 

I've grown since then and learned to like characters for more than just appearance, but the aesthetic sense is a major factor in society. 

Yes, but we're not talking about kids, we're talking about grown people with bank accounts and such. But I guess some adults are just like kids in this sense, they just have simple reasons and ignore the writing...

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yes, but we're not talking about kids, we're talking about grown people with bank accounts and such. But I guess some adults are just like kids in this sense, they just have simple reasons and ignore the writing...

Please don't say it like that, because the way you worded that sounds insulting. 

You could even argue that even the writing of the character is bad for everyone. There are hundreds of characters out there that could very well have infinitely better stories and characteristics than the characters of Fire Emblem, so when you don't care for their writing or personality because you've already seen many better ones, they just pick which is better looking. 

38 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

Veronica is cool, I voted her at CYL2. I like grey-ish characters (not too good, not too evil) and Heroes is my first FE game. 

Huh, I thought only FE veterans played Heroes... Guess not.

30 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

Played Awaking around Christmas, but didn't finish my first run yet. 

I like it, but I prefer to play on my smartphone and I prefer smaller player controlled armies. 4 units like in Heroes is pretty ideal when you have to command each movement by yourself. Wished heroes had a comparable story mode, would play for that. 

I also hate when weapons get destroyed by usage. 

IMO the GBA games are the best for strategy and LTC play and the battle animations are great. My favorite all around is FE 9 and my least favorite is FE 10. Awakening is a good game, but it bastardized a lot of the fundamental things I love about Fire Emblem. And there was something about Fates that bugs me to the point where I still haven't finished Conquest. Birthright was a chore for me, and then there is Revelation still to go... To make things worse, I want to finish Fates before I play SoV so yeah...

The thing about the main series games that newer players don't realize is that using a smaller "core" army actually makes the games easier and lets you get through them faster. If/when you play other games, limit yourself to 6-8 units who do most of the combat and just steamroll the games.

13 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

After my first playthrough of a Fire Emblem game, I always skip cut scenes/ story sequences.

As far as story goes, the Manga is a source of story/development for Veronica. For those who read it and play this game, that is all they need. I like Veronica in this game simply because healers are incredibly powerful and she is the best one so far.

As far as Frederick goes, he takes the "devoted to his Lord" archetype to the extreme where it just comes off as comedic relief to me. The only time I ever used him in Awakening is on Lunatic or higher difficulties because he is really good and it is almost impossible without him. I rank him much lower on my personal preference list than Jagen, Marcus, Seth, or Titania.

Edited by Hawk King

36 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

Got some red allies so far, but always that +10 Effie from my FL.

Accepted your request (Grimoire, BH!Lyn lead?). For this VG I'm running Cordelia as my lead, but if you like could change to something else (i.e. Cherche, Tana, S!Cordelia).

Yup that would be me! It'll be nice to have a gurantee'd blue to offset my Red! Though speaking of Cherche I am got a random ally who had a life and death Cherche with Handbell. Like, what?

Regarding Freddy vs Veronica. I would say Freddy is 'better'. But that is not so much because he is amazingly written, but rather that as a main retainer in one of the main games he has a lot more screen time dedicated to his development(relatively speaking, we all know FE doesn't have the deepest character writing in general). So regardless of how hard Awakening/Fates pigeon-holes to stereotypes he feels more fleshed out/developed. Meanwhile Veronica just hasn't had as much due to the nature of FEH. And I am pretty sure that is still true even if you count stuff out of the game such as the manga. Still I say Freddy is cool and so is Veronica. But maybe I am just easily pleased.

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

To be fair, FEH is a good choice for people who have interesting on the Fire Emblem games but don't have a Nintendo console or don't use emulators. I have friends that didn't play a FE game before, but FEH made them want to.

12 minutes ago, Hawk King said:

IMO the GBA games are the best for strategy and LTC play and the battle animations are great. My favorite all around is FE 9 and my least favorite is FE 10. Awakening is a good game, but it bastardized a lot of the fundamental things I love about Fire Emblem. And there was something about Fates that bugs me to the point where I still haven't finished Conquest. Birthright was a chore for me, and then there is Revelation still to go... To make things worse, I want to finish Fates before I play SoV so yeah...

The thing about the main series games that newer players don't realize is that using a smaller "core" army actually makes the games easier and lets you get through them faster. If/when you play other games, limit yourself to 6-8 units who do most of the combat and just steamroll the games.

/Edit: Sorry the answer to your post got lost. I'll edit it in again. 

/Edit: Good idea to bring fewer units. But I also want to try them all, but they need to get some levels first. 

Perhaps I'll try emulators again, too bad sound doesn't seem to work good. 

14 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Different system, different monetizing strategy & different gameplay attract also different (new) people. For all those new players Alfonse, Sharena, Anna and Veronica are probably more important than Ike, Lyn & Co. 

Edited by mampfoid

14 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Actually there’s a lot of people who never played a FE game before Heroes, and I actually think they outnumber FE veteran fans. Why do you think the original characters did so well in CYL?

2 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Actually there’s a lot of people who never played a FE game before Heroes, and I actually think they outnumber FE veteran fans. Why do you think the original characters did so well in CYL?

I thought they did well because of fanservice (in Loki's case, anyway) and being new, just like how Fates rode Awakening's popularity and Echoes/Gaiden characters' got a big boost in popularity from their original game getting remade.

4 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

Different system, different monetizing strategy & different gameplay attract also different (new) people. For all those new players Alfonse, Sharena, Anna and Veronica are probably more important than Ike, Lyn & Co. 

Doesn't feel like it's much different from regular FE mechanics-wise though. It just simplifies it by taking away things like avoid and missing/dodging.

12 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

To be fair, FEH is a good choice for people who have interesting on the Fire Emblem games but don't have a Nintendo console or don't use emulators. I have friends that didn't play a FE game before, but FEH made them want to.

Yeah, that's fair. I've been interested in Warriors games, but can't play any except the Nintendo ones because they're on consoles I don't own/don't play to buy, so...

15 minutes ago, Usana said:

Yup that would be me! It'll be nice to have a gurantee'd blue to offset my Red! Though speaking of Cherche I am got a random ally who had a life and death Cherche with Handbell. Like, what?

Great, let's win this round then! 

Mine got an alternate set with LnD as well: 

JjqNSg0.png

No handbell though. 

/Edit: this image is with Summoner Support, TT boosted stats and buffs. 

Edited by mampfoid

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

He has several supports that focus on varying aspects of his character. His hatred of bear meat, his phobia of wild animals, his extreme lengths when it comes to his duties, his inability to relax, his thing for exercise, etc. Veronica doesn't have any supports or even good story writing to help her.

I really wanted Veronica to be defeated by multiplier BS, but I just had to say something.

I don't think the fans support her because of her original character, sure the original character is what made her won the CYL, but when this version of her is released, I don't really see any connection between those two, this Veronica represented herself wholely and is not related to the original Veronica. When I played forging bonds, or heard her lines, it's like facing a totally different character rather than original Veronica. And it's never less touching when you see someone overcome their biggest hardships and finally have a smile on their face(that's what I thought when I read the story). I think her fans actually just like the current her and decided to support her, not because she is the actual villain or whatever. Heck, even I wanted to give her a big warm hug.

So it doesn't matter if you can't see what's in her, the others do and they love her for it. Just accept the truth and face it, you don't have to be the all and knowing person. Not every opinion is right, but it is also not right to reject every other's opinion. But reading all of your previous comments, even from other forums, I just have the hunch that you will still continue to argue over this. Never mind, every person has their rights to express their thoughts, so it would be appreciated if you could also accept other's opinion. :)

Edit: As a matter of fact, I found out that even though all you said was "wanting to know why people blah blah blah..." You still rejected to listen, soooooooo...???

Edited by Exozinx

6 minutes ago, Exozinx said:

I don't think the fans support her because of her original character, sure the original character is what made her won the CYL, but when this version of her is released, I don't really see any connection between those two, this Veronica represented herself wholely and is not related to the original Veronica. When I played forging bonds, or heard her lines, it's like facing a totally different character rather than original Veronica. And it's never less touching when you see someone overcome their biggest hardships and finally have a smile on their face(that's what I thought when I read the story). I think her fans actually just like the current her and decided to support her, not because she is the actual villain or whatever. Heck, even I wanted to give her a big warm hug.

So it doesn't matter if you can't see what's in her, the others do and they love her for it. Just accept the truth and face it, you don't have to be the all and knowing person. Not every opinion is right, but it is also not right to reject every other's opinion. But reading all of your previous comments, even from other forums, I just have the hunch that you will still continue to argue over this. Never mind, every person has their rights to express their thoughts, so it would be appreciated if you could also accept other's opinion. :)

Yeah, I do admit that this Veronica seems a little more likable than the enemy Veronica. And true, true.

Yeah, I know, I didn't mean to say I was all knowing or anything like that. I understand.

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, I do admit that this Veronica seems a little more likable than the enemy Veronica. And true, true.

Yeah, I know, I didn't mean to say I was all knowing or anything like that. I understand.

Thanks for understanding^^

Now why don't we put this aside and help Ike beat Hector like the pulp he is?(Sorry Hector I still love you!!)

1 hour ago, mampfoid said:

For all those new players Alfonse, Sharena, Anna and Veronica are probably more important than Ike, Lyn & Co. 

I agree, Super Bun Bun Pal would probably be my favorite character if Heroes is my first game. I like her cheery attitude and her bunny quotes are great.