Master of Arms is so underrated

Volke29

11 hours ago, starburst said:

Note that the majority praise Master of Arms mostly because of the Samurai skills and not because of those from MoA itself. A Villager » Master of Arms (like Mozu and her children) might be stronger, sturdier and defter unit because of Aptitude, but the lack of Duelist Blow and Vantage makes them play a different role. Say, a sturdier unit may prefer not to use Life or Death in some battles, precisely because they can take more phases; while a squishy unit will always prefer Life or Death, since they only attack on Player Phase anyway. In that sense, a Great Knight is more like a Villager » MoA.

Which is not really warranted when both of them are mediocre at best, frankly. As is the class itself.

On Monday, August 13, 2018 at 7:32 PM, starburst said:

I agree with you, but my problem has always been timing those level-ups.
In Conquest Hard, my units reach L15 around Chapter 23, and since Ch 22 and 24 are easier, I use them to level-up units in 'alien' classes and grab skills. Well, the thing is that making Ophelia gain at least three level-ups in a completely different class, with no weapon ranks or Strength to back it up is tricky. Specially when Elise is trying to kill units with a blunt bronze dagger on the same map. :P

Paralouges (namely shigures)

Master of Arms may have its flaws, but I feel it works well for Hana, as I have far more luck with her than her being a Swordmaster. Every time I use MoA on Hana, she's able to hold her own, but everytime she's uses Swordmaster, she's more fragile than glass. I'll just leave the Swordmastering to Ryoma.

Yeah with Hana, definitely MoA > Swordmaster. Might as well embrace her squishiness and just go full glass cannon with Life and Death. I actually think Hana actually makes a decent priestess, since bows kind of suit her since she lacks health/defense, with solid str/spd. Still not the biggest fan of MoA just cuz it requires grind or arms scrolls.

On 8/21/2018 at 4:45 PM, DarkDefeater said:

Master of Arms may have its flaws, but I feel it works well for Hana, as I have far more luck with her than her being a Swordmaster. Every time I use MoA on Hana, she's able to hold her own, but everytime she's uses Swordmaster, she's more fragile than glass. I'll just leave the Swordmastering to Ryoma.

14 hours ago, Libra is best girl said:

Yeah with Hana, definitely MoA > Swordmaster. Might as well embrace her squishiness and just go full glass cannon with Life and Death. I actually think Hana actually makes a decent priestess, since bows kind of suit her since she lacks health/defense, with solid str/spd. Still not the biggest fan of MoA just cuz it requires grind or arms scrolls.

Um, what? I tried MoA Hana once, and it wasn't really that much better than Swordmaster (or better at all, really). The extra HP and Defense over Swordmaster tends to not make enough of a difference because she's just that fragile.

For what it's worth I find Hana much more effective as a Swordmaster, at least using relatively simple builds. Hana's concrete durability is bad and a minor buffs to her HP/Def don't change that; she's still going to be 2HKOed by almost everything. Swordmaster provides a considerable boost to her evade, which is how she stays alive. With WTA and Duelist's Blow, Hana can typically zero out enemy hit on the player phase (use the dual katana against blues, naturally); she has much more trouble achieving reliable evasion figures in any other class. Additionally, although this can be fixed with a little cross-classing, I value Swordfaire considerably more than Life and Death; +10 damage received puts lots of enemies into "OHKO Hana" range, and the offence difference is only 5 (Swordfaire Hana 2HKOs basically everything anyway). It's possible I'm underestimating the number of OHKOs she secures with LaD but I'm not sure it's worth it even if I am.

• 2 weeks later...

You know what's fun? Having someone like Effie become a Master of Arms. Armored Blow + Life or Death is super fun on player phase. You get +10 damage at no cost! I like doing weird things like that. But I do agree that Master of Arms with E rank just kinda sucks. Should have been D or C rank IMO. The issue is that people that are the best with the class are people that are either 

1) Prepromotes like Xander

2) Cavaliers.