How do I skip to a certain chapter?

AnonymousSpeed

If I wanted to immediately load a certain chapter to make sure the changes I've made in it are done properly, how would I do so? Would I edit the chapter reference pointer?

I have found this list (scroll to the penultimate post) which lines up with the reference pointers in Nightmare. I did try to change the reference pointer for the prologue to that of a different chapter, but it still loaded the prologue. I was wondering if anyone knew how I'd make it load a different chapter instead. Maybe not the prologue (I'm not sure how that would affect unit loading).

The easiest way to do that is to edit a chapter's events and change the chapter the game is told to move to next, meaning you'll have to play through the prologue once. Hope that's not too much to ask lol

I take it you aren't familiar with events, so I'll give you a rundown. If you are, then, well... you can ignore pretty much everything I'm about to say:

Here's Event Assembler. Download all that fancy junk and open up the program. Make a blank Notepad file and load that into the 'Text' part. Load your Rom, tick FE7, tick 'Whole chapter' and 'Add end guards' (I don't actually know what that does but whatever). Then for the offset, put in 'CA0720', then hit Disassemble. (Leave the program open for simplicity)

Finally, we can actually get somewhere. In your previously blank Notepad file, you now have the entire chapter's events for the Prologue! Whoop de doo, now what do with all that gibberish? Well, towards the end of the file, there should be a code called MNCH 0x(whatever). That's the 'Move to chapter' code. That list you found? Turns out it is relevant after all. Put in whatever chapter you want to move to, save the file, switch back to Event Assembler, hit Assemble and voila!

Edit: Whoops forgot to mention: When you skip to a chapter this way, you only retain the characters you've already recruited. If you skip try to skip from the prologue to, say, Chapter 12, the game will crash since Lyn isn't playable in that map and you skipped the recuitments of all the Eliwood mode characters thus far. If you're looking to skip to an Eliwood mode chapter, the chapter you edit the events of will also have to be in Eliwood Mode. You can easily find the offset to put into Event Assembler with the 'Event modules' part of Nightmare. (Just leave out the '8' at the beginning of it.)

Edited by TheArbiterK

8 hours ago, TheArbiterK said:

I take it you aren't familiar with events, so I'll give you a rundown.

Hey, you know what they say about assuming-

...that's exactly right, actually. Thank you for your help.

8 hours ago, TheArbiterK said:

Edit: Whoops forgot to mention: When you skip to a chapter this way, you only retain the characters you've already recruited. If you skip try to skip from the prologue to, say, Chapter 12, the game will crash since Lyn isn't playable in that map and you skipped the recuitments of all the Eliwood mode characters thus far. If you're looking to skip to an Eliwood mode chapter, the chapter you edit the events of will also have to be in Eliwood Mode. You can easily find the offset to put into Event Assembler with the 'Event modules' part of Nightmare. (Just leave out the '8' at the beginning of it.)

That's about what I'd figure would happen.