Jump to content
XRay

Which fictional worlds do you want to live in, and which do not?

Recommended Posts

There's a lot of fictional worlds i'd love to live in. The worlds from Xenoblade 1, X, and 2 would be great to live in, and the Trails world is basically a less advanced version of our own world but with magic so it makes up for it. But if i had to just pick one, it'd be the Doctor Who world, assuming i'm either

  1. A companion of the Doctor's
  2. A Time-Lord myself and posses my own TARDIS.

Doctor Who takes place in our own universe but i'd have the wonderful privilege of traveling through all of time and space. I'd be able to see everything that ever existed and everything that will exist. It'd be dangerous, yes. I might get exterminated by a Dalek or converted by a Cyberman and those are just some of the dangers that come to mind. But the adventures would still be fun. Of course, if i was a Time-Lord myself, i'd be able to cheat death at least 12 times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

And if I joined their party as the old, mentor character (yes, 24 makes you a silver fox in a JRPG), I would have to sacrifice myself to keep the plot moving. And I'm in the business of living.

Reason number who's counting that Dunban is the coolest badass ever. He's 30 and more like, idk, a wise wolf than a silver fox. Doesn't sacrifice himself, but does have a crippled arm and battle scars and freaking PUKES BLOOD at one point and goes right back to kicking ass and taking names without skipping a beat. He's pretty much telling those JRPG cliches to suck his dick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As (almost) everyone else on this thread said, Pokemon seems to be a really rad place to live. In general, the Etrian Odyssey world is cool, I can go into some labyrinth with my buds. And even if I die, I can be revived. The Marioverse has wacky and fun shenanigans that no one really dies in. JoJo's would be cool, only if I had a stand that is useful and not an absolute pile of shit (looking at you Cheap Trick). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For fantasy works, I'd also say Narnia is pretty cool if you're one of the heroes, despite being one of the weakest fantasy series ever imo. Other than that, Harry Potter's wizardry world seems very cool and it's one where I'd love to live in. Star Wars is also fine, even if you end up being born as a non-Force sensitive, unless you have the terrible luck of being born as a slave.

For animes, I wouldn't mind living in a MMO setting like Sword Art Online (despite being a series I'm not fond of) and My Hero Academia/To Aru Majutsu no Index. Pokémon looks good, and so does Digimon's. Also JoJo's, if I have a Stand.

For games, I dunno, maybe Mega Man ZX and Final Fantasy III? I think Trails' (particularly Liberl, which seems to be the less screwed country) setting is cool too, and that I would avoid getting caught up into problems even as a civillian since the Bracer's Guild is a thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, well I guess being a Pokemon trainer would be kind of fun (but only if I'm role-playing as an edgy asshole who fights gang members and is edgy (who is this glad ion you speak of)) A digimon tamer would be super fun too, but more digimon world dusk/dawn than the anime where I'd probably get stepped on by something or just killed by whatever digimon hates humans for no apparent reason (cough cough etemon) As for more fantasy Jrpgs, a dragon quest game yes good, revive when I die, magical classes as well as just a beautiful landscape would be really great, any Final fantasy game, hell no! Do not want, do not want, I could die really easily, no class changes so if I'm not a Mage or in peak physical condition, bye bye life, also zombies, evil gods, gigantic sand worms, magical everything's and some deranged freak who looks like a clown will probably try to kill me. If I was in Fe I think I'd like to live a quite little life in a small little village in some out of the way coastal region, maybe working as a militiaman, or as a small time mercenary for hire (high hp and defense growths, with piss all speed growth and meagre strength like Barth but sword locked so the player never uses me, also antisocial and recruit nobody. And as for anime I'd like to be in JoJos yes provided I get my ideal stand, or have hamon and be Speedwagons friend but not a zeppeli, I don't want to be in HeroAca, Atot or Mirai Nikki cuz fuck that shit I'm out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most FE worlds are okay, although while I love Tellius, I'm staying away from anywhere where Laguz-Beorc racial tensions spill over into street violence. Most Tales worlds are good too, me being partial to my first, Symphonia. Pokemon world are great as well. Hyrule is cool, but I need it a bit more populated.

Final Fantasy X, if it has anything okay, it would be the beauty of Spira, although count me out of VIII's world, that one is too underdeveloped and modern. Maybe the worlds of IV-VI as well. I like FFTA Ivalice too. Luxendarc of Bravely would be wonderful, but I just don't want to see giant columns of light in the open sea, cause then I know things are screwed.

I'd like Bionis and Mechonis. I'd like to like Mira too, but first I need to know exactly what is up with that planet (I need the sequel!)! The Baten Kaitos world is really beautiful, I'd ask Ladekahn if I could sit in his throne for a minute- because that is the most glorious throne in gaming. But I'd be afraid of falling off the floating islands.

 

2 hours ago, IfIHadToPickADude said:

In general, the Etrian Odyssey world is cool, I can go into some labyrinth with my buds. And even if I die, I can be revived.

You say this, and yet you forget that whatever killed you, has a high chance of killing all your friends as well. It doesn't take 6th Stratum superboss to party wipe you, that kinda stuff can- *is ambushed and slaughtered by some acorns and a boar while holding this conversation from the Tutelary Forest*.

 

DefinItely DON'T want to be in the SMT multiverse. Sure demon summoning is cool, maybe if I land in the right world I get an Atma or be infused with a Magatama, but otherwise the apocalyptic nature of the worlds with clashing cosmologically immortal factions is not exactly appealing. Should I let an Oni eat me, or have my being brainwashed by an angel? I can't tell which is more merciful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

You say this, and yet you forget that whatever killed you, has a high chance of killing all your friends as well. It doesn't take 6th Stratum superboss to party wipe you, that kinda stuff can- *is ambushed and slaughtered by some acorns and a boar while holding this conversation from the Tutelary Forest*.

Shhhh. I totally didn't forget about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

most fictional worlds are really shitty and much worse than our own for most people in most ways.

 

one world which is not is Star Trek, but that's in the OPs "do not want" list, so i have no idea what is going on.  but basically, yeah, i want to live in the semi-utopia, just being me or a regular person.  why wouldn't you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Infinite Dreams said:

I would like to live in Stars Hollow (Gilmore Girls).

What an awkward decision. :awesome:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Defeatist Elitist said:

most fictional worlds are really shitty and much worse than our own for most people in most ways.

 

one world which is not is Star Trek, but that's in the OPs "do not want" list, so i have no idea what is going on.  but basically, yeah, i want to live in the semi-utopia, just being me or a regular person.  why wouldn't you?

R3van is that really you.

People that lost the light forgot that it isn't about being superhuman, but remembering that being human is super.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Defeatist Elitist said:

most fictional worlds are really shitty and much worse than our own for most people in most ways.

 

one world which is not is Star Trek, but that's in the OPs "do not want" list, so i have no idea what is going on.  but basically, yeah, i want to live in the semi-utopia, just being me or a regular person.  why wouldn't you?

There are quite a few hostile aliens and wars going on. I think I will be fine if I am an earthling, but if I am on a planet on the fringes of Federation space, I am not so sure my life would be as peaceful and carefree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, XRay said:

There are quite a few hostile aliens and wars going on. I think I will be fine if I am an earthling, but if I am on a planet on the fringes of Federation space, I am not so sure my life would be as peaceful and carefree.

I mean, even then it's not really that much more turbulent than the real world we live in, and aside from the risky aspects of war, much of the rest of your life would be pretty good.  Plus you're generally going to be free from most of the institutional and structural violence and oppression most real/fictional settings would saddle you with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Junkhead said:

R3van is that really you.

People that lost the light forgot that it isn't about being superhuman, but remembering that being human is super.

it's really me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

animal crossing.

living surrounded primarily by nature is my dream + my life would be much more convenient. i can pay off my mortgage whenever i have the means to do so, make a living off of selling random things i find on the ground/things that i've caught, etc. sounds pretty wonderful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dragon Ball - Myself - Wanna gather the Dragon Balls to completely reshape myself and join in on epic battles and the like.

Fire Emblem - Myself - It'd be one hell of a way to lose weight by practicing Swordsmanship, plus, I'd be interested to try and learn magic and the like.

Pokémon - Myself - Why be anyone in particular when you can have Pokémon?

On 12/08/2018 at 6:25 PM, XRay said:

Pokémon — Arceus, Gary, or a regular Pokémon trainer

Side note on this, my real name is in fact Gary. Any time people refer to things that Gary Oak did I play dumb and state that I don't remember doing them. It's fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Light Strategist said:

Side note on this, my real name is in fact Gary. Any time people refer to things that Gary Oak did I play dumb and state that I don't remember doing them. It's fun.

Hey Gary! Can you hook me up with that hot chick in your car the other day?

Edited by XRay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, XRay said:

Hey Gary! Can you hook me up with that hot chick in your car the other day?

Given my driving record on video games (the only thing I have to go by) she's probably dead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Worlds I'd Like To Live In:

The real world

Hyrule: If you really look at it, Hyrule has several more years of peace than it does conflict. Sure, every now and again some evil dude appears, throws that peace out the window, and increases the number of monsters in the world, but even then, extremely high stakes are a rarity rather than the norm.

Punch out!: If boxing is this wacky and entertaining, then just think about what the other sports look like! There must never be a dull moment on TV!

Treasure Planet: I know it's a universe filled will pirates and the living conditions are basically the 1600's with some sci-fi advancements, but... if only out of nostalgia...

I really, really, really, really want to go.

Worlds I'd Have Mixed Feelings Towards Being In:

The real world

Killer Instinct: The world is more or less run by an evil megacorporation, it's not unusual that werewolves, aliens, ghosts, vampires, rock monsters, and cybernetic dinosaurs exist, and an ancient warlord has returned from a different dimension and has plans to conquer earth.

However, considering the kind of attacks the characters can shrug off... humans must be extremely durable and hardy in this universe. It helps that a lot of the characters are heroic to ranging degrees, and several of the villians have anti-heroic qualities.

Blustone: You know, if you can get past the fact that the only way you can get to Midgard is to either walk across a snowy wasteland (which, for the record, only three people have successfully done, and one of them was a superhero) or be “recruited” (it's kidnapping, but they have to make it sound official somehow), that there are several unscrupulous individuals in a town that has few laws in the first place, explosives are commonplace and a little too easy to obtain, and there is a hunter murdering villain present in the snowfields that is far from incompetent (and WW3 may or may not have happened), it's actually not a half-bad place to live. The food is awesome, the jobs are fun, no one asks questions, the residents are enjoyably quirky, and the price of gas is dirt cheap.

Middle-Earth: On the one hand, it's a world where good triumphs over evil, heroes are everywhere (and some are among the biggest badasses In fiction as a whole) and there are several times and places where peace reigns. On the other hand, there's the neverending war between good and evil, with evil getting the upper hand every now and again. Both sides destroy each other completely, with being prisoners are a rarity, and even the "good" races have conflicts with each other.

Worlds I Don't Want To Be In:

The real world

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords: There are too many colons. War is hell. The aftermath of war can be just as hellish.

XCOM: It's an alien invasion, which automatically puts it here. It doesn't help that the only reason X-COM gets as far as it does is because the aliens goal is something other than “kill/enslave all humans.” If it was, humanity would be lucky to last even a week.

However, something that people forget is that the world itself won't look too hot even when all is said and done. After all, X-COM did sell several alien corpses (one of which is possibly, no, probably a bioweapon that technically isn't banned by the Geneva Accords!), weapon fragments, and other alien doodads through the grey market just to pay the bills, so it isn't a stretch to say that several unscrupulous persons, organizations, and terrorists now have alien technology in their hands.

Spoiler

Not helping matters is that you killed one of two of the most powerful psionics known to mankind, while the other sacrificed themselves to save earth (although they’re still alive, albeit MIA, which isn't much better). So… how are humans supposed to prepare ”for what lies ahead”?

Warhammer 40K: Admittedly, I'm not the most knowledgeable about this universe, but from the little I know... Well, lets just say that trying to find someone or something "good" in this universe (before even considering if it lasts long, if at all) is like trying to find a needle in a pair of needles; Painful, and you wonder why you'd do it in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

Worlds I'd Like To Live In:

The real world

I am actually a little surprised to see it in this list.

4 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

Middle-Earth: On the one hand, it's a world where good triumphs over evil, heroes are everywhere (and some are among the biggest badasses In fiction as a whole) and there are several times and places where peace reigns. On the other hand, there's the neverending war between good and evil, with evil getting the upper hand every now and again. Both sides destroy each other completely, with being prisoners are a rarity, and even the "good" races have conflicts with each other.

For me, just because good usually triumphs over evil does not mean the world is actually worth living in. When I think of all the sacrifices that people made just to restore peace, it makes living in it a whole lot less appealing, not to mention that there is high chance that what you need to sacrifice is your life.

4 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

Warhammer 40K: Admittedly, I'm not the most knowledgeable about this universe, but from the little I know... Well, lets just say that trying to find someone or something "good" in this universe (before even considering if it lasts long, if at all) is like trying to find a needle in a pair of needles; Painful, and you wonder why you'd do it in the first place.

I read the lore a little bit when I get bored, and it is a pretty interesting universe.

I think the Tau are the best faction to join if you are human; they might be Xenos, but they are more humane than, well, humans.

A world under the banner of the Imperium of Man is more likely than not a complete shit hole. I think you might have an okay life if you are part of the nobility living in one of the Knight Worlds or are a regular citizen living in one of the prosperous worlds under the leadership of the Ultramarines, although all that goes to shit if Xenos invades. Other than that, I think most Imperial subjects are hardly distinguishable from brain washed slaves.

If you are human are you are not living under the Tau or Imperium of Man, good luck having any sort of life. Besides the Tau, everyone is pretty much racist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, XRay said:

I am actually a little surprised to see it in this list.

Reality has it's ups and downs. It's our choice whether to see the glass half-empty or half-full.

11 hours ago, XRay said:

For me, just because good usually triumphs over evil does not mean the world is actually worth living in. When I think of all the sacrifices that people made just to restore peace, it makes living in it a whole lot less appealing, not to mention that there is high chance that what you need to sacrifice is your life.

Apparently, someone hasn't read the awesome page of The Silmarillion on TV Tropes.

I'd also rather die for a just cause, and know that the peace was well-earned, than live in a world that is ruled by, or even content with, evil.

11 hours ago, XRay said:

I read the lore a little bit when I get bored, and it is a pretty interesting universe.

I think the Tau are the best faction to join if you are human; they might be Xenos, but they are more humane than, well, humans.

A world under the banner of the Imperium of Man is more likely than not a complete shit hole. I think you might have an okay life if you are part of the nobility living in one of the Knight Worlds or are a regular citizen living in one of the prosperous worlds under the leadership of the Ultramarines, although all that goes to shit if Xenos invades. Other than that, I think most Imperial subjects are hardly distinguishable from brain washed slaves.

If you are human are you are not living under the Tau or Imperium of Man, good luck having any sort of life. Besides the Tau, everyone is pretty much racist.

...I care little about the living conditions. When trying to find a single morally upright being (that lasts for more than a few seconds years without being killed) is extremely difficult and more trouble than it's worth, that universe screwed something up big time, I wouldn't want to live there.

As I said thought, I'm not that experienced with the Warhammer 40K universe. In fact, I only know of it in the first place because I read the manual to the computer game Space Hulk, which gave some backstory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...