Which fictional worlds do you want to live in, and which do not?

XRay

16 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

Reality has it's ups and downs. It's our choice whether to see the glass half-empty or half-full.

Maybe I judge the world a little bit more harshly than most, but I do not think the real world is even filled to the half way point yet. Living in a first world country would maybe qualify as half way full, but if you are not living in a liberal democracy, I think the cup is more like one third or a quarter of the way full.

24 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

I'd also rather die for a just cause

25 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

I care little about the living conditions.

I prefer to live and have a decent quality of life. If I have to sacrifice myself to correct some evil, the world itself is already fucked up and evil. When a world requires the good or innocent to make crippling sacrifices to counter evil, that in itself is wrong.

A world should ideally be completely free of evil, if not, then evil must so incompetent to the point where its existence does not matter, like in Pokémon.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, XRay said:

Maybe I judge the world a little bit more harshly than most, but I do not think the real world is even filled to the half way point yet. Living in a first world country would maybe qualify as half way full, but if you are not living in a liberal democracy, I think the cup is more like one third or a quarter of the way full.

The glass half full/empty was simply an analogy. I put the real world in all three categories partially as a joke, but also because free will allows humans to choose whether to take action for good or for ill, and it's often both. Hence my overall neutrality towards it; there is much potential to both use and abuse our resources, abilities, and situations.

1 hour ago, XRay said:

I prefer to live and have a decent quality of life. If I have to sacrifice myself to correct some evil, the world itself is already fucked up and evil. When a world requires the good or innocent to make crippling sacrifices to counter evil, that in itself is wrong.

If we're talking about Middle-Earth, than the world started out good, but then became a shadow of it's former self. Indeed, the flaw of the elves is their resistance to change and wishing they were in the old days.

However, in Middle-Earth, and the real world, there is still good, and it's worth fighting for. Sacrifice is giving up one thing for another, and there's a reason it's considered a virtue by many, as it it's rising above the self for something greater.

That, and "evil prospers when good men do nothing"  (John Philpot Curran)

1 hour ago, XRay said:

A world should ideally be completely free of evil

Amen