SF's "Write Your Butt Off" II - Return of Writer's Block

Rapier

SF's Write Your Butt Off! II Votals  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which submission will you vote for?

• "The Heart of Dedication"
    • "The Strength Within"
    • "Simply a Hunter"
    • "One More Time"
    • "Perfected"
    • "No One Is Iredeemable"
    • "Going Forward"

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/09/2019 at 10:00 PM

Since no one felt like continuing this for almost two years, I'm down to reviving this initiative.

For people who have missed the first topic, this is a thread to incentive people to write short/medium length one-shot stories of varying themes that depend on the choice for the round, with the purpose to incentive writing practice as well as the improvement of our writing skills.

"Oh but Rapier, I don't know how to write!"

No worries! This 'contest' is less a competition and more as a medium to get around to writing and, most importantly, improve from forcing yourself to practice, face your fears of being judged by others and ultimately improve from the experience. Even if you aren't the most voted contestant, you still win a deal of experience that will help you as a writer, so long as you give yourself the opportunity to try!

Copy-pasted from Boron, because reasons.

Rules

The rules DO NOT automatically change when a new host takes over the next cycle, but MAY BE changed with the entrants' deliberation and consent.

1) Each round of the competition will last 3 weeks. Entrants will have 2 week to compose and submit their entry. The next five days, voters will choose their favorite entry. A winner will be named on the sixth day, and the winner will have until the end of the week to prepare for hosting the next week's competition. Therefore, each cycle will last exactly 3 weeks.

2) The host MAY NOT submit an entry for the week they are hosting. The winner becomes the host of the next cycle of competition.

3) Entries must be a minimum of 1000 words and a maximum of 10000 words. Try to stay within these limits, although the upper cap will not be enforced as strictly.

4) No smut! Try to keep entries rated PG-13 maximum.

5) No submitting of old work. It doesn't matter if the work in question has been edited or rewritten. All entries must be completely new.

6) Post your entries in this thread in spoiler tags.

7) You cannot vote for yourself.

8) You may ask another person (including another entrant) to proofread your story for grammar and spelling. However, they may not suggest changes that will affect major elements in the story, such as plot or characterization.

Theme

Hosts may choose a theme for entrants to write about, and the theme can be about anything (only FE-related, must be original work, holiday-themed, etc.) as long as the theme does not break the "no smut" rule.

Current Round: 8

Round 8's Voting Phase Countdown

Theme:

"Humans make mistakes...no one is perfect after all and life is messy at the best of times.  So don't be too hard on yourself."

Write a story where a character is going through tough times and a friend/family/lover helps them get back on their feet.  The above quote may be used anywhere in said story if desired.  Bonus points for including the quote XD

--Entrants's List-- (Name / Submission)

- EmperorSiegfried ("The Heart of Dedication")

- Anacybele ("The Strength Within")

- Tactician Robin ("Simply a Hunter")

- Ottservia ("One More Time")

- Shoblongoo ("Perfected")

- SoulWeaver ("No One Is Iredeemable")

- AnonymousSpeed ("Going Forward")

--NOT PARTICIPATING (but honorably mentioned anyway)--

- TheSilentChloey ("Mistaken Identity")

- DarthR0xas ("The Zero in Darkness")

Previous Rounds:

Round 7

Spoiler

Theme:

Write a two part story, but only the second part. The story must begin in medias res, and the events of the first part must be inferred entirely from the events of the second.

Please notice the usage of the word "inferred" and "events," not "told" and "words." The previous happenings cannot be explicitly stated- no exposition dumps here.

- Anacybele ("To Be a Leader")

- TheSilentChloey ("The Silent One")

- Shoblongoo ("True Romance")

- LdotRage ("Track of Time")

- Jotari ("You're Here Because of Me.")

- Dragoncat ("After Twilight")

- Rafiel's Aria ("Under Your Scars")

- Ottservia ("Fractured Understanding")

Round 6

Spoiler

Theme: Write a story about something that happened because your main character got really, really, really, really drunk.

- TheSilentChloey ("A Night to Remember")

- Jotari ("All Good Things")

- AnonymousSpeed ("Ferrous's Night Out")

Round 5

Spoiler

Theme: Mercy (intentionally left open to interpretation)

- TheSilentChloey ("Mercy")

- Shoblongoo ("Folly")

- Farina's Pegasus ("How I Met Trent Rockefeller")

- Rafiel's Aria ("Another Beginning")

- DarthR0xas ("The Requiem of a Sith ")

Round 4

Spoiler

Theme: Write a story about a character in a failing relationship, and how + why the relationship is falling apart. 

- TheSilentChloey ("Seasons")

- Jotari ("The Hereafter")

- SoulWeaver ("Heart VS Soul")

- DarthR0xas ("The Ninja's of Love")

Round 3

Spoiler

Theme: "Write me a story about a character who has committed an immoral act (or acts) in their past."

- TheSiilentChloey ("Redemption of Grima")

- Anacybele ("The Daein Vagabond")

- Dragoncat ("Declawed")

- Otts486 ("A Princess' Lament")

- Rafiel's Aria ("Orchids for Arrow")

- Shoblongoo ("The Better Man")

- DarthR0xas ("The Cursed of Youth")

- AnonymousSpeed ("The Ethical Issues of the Contemporary Emblem")

Round 2

Spoiler

Theme: "A Fire Emblem Fandom based comedy about the unintended consequences of messing with time travel, or outrealm gates that grant access to alternate-timeline versions of the present.
It can be a light comedy or a dark comedy--writer's choice--but there has to be some element of humor to it.

--Entrants' List-- (there are no sign-ups. Just post your submission in-thread as long as it's not after the deadline!)

Writers who have sent their submissions will be listed here.

- TheSilentChloey (submission)

- AnonymousSpeed (submission)

- Jotaro (submission)

Round 1

Spoiler

Theme: "Write about the first time a character (or a group thereof) went through their jobs"

-Entrants' List--

- Shoblongoo (submission)

- Dragoncat (submission)

- TheSilentChloey (submission)

- Eclipse (submission)

- Anacybele (submission)

- AnonymousSpeed (submission)

- SirNicee (submission)

Edited by Rapier

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With three people in, I think we'd be set to discuss if the current theme is ok and start, but I want to leave the sign-up phase open for at least 24 hours in case more people want to chime in.

You guys fine with the theme?

The theme is fine! I already have an idea.

Question: Does it count if my character is getting a job promotion, and the first day in the new rank?

Edited by Dragoncat

To think, I just removed the old thread from my sig since it'd been dead + I got mixed up on how well the new SF worked with colored links...  Well, since it's revived now, might as well put this there instead.

Might participate, maybe.  I have... something resembling an idea for this prompt, so we'll see how that goes.  

2 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

The theme is fine! I already have an idea.

Question: Does it count if my character is getting a job promotion, and the first day in the new rank?

Hm... I confess I kinda left it ambiguous.

The idea is that the character must feel some level of "strangeness" to what they're doing now. Imagine yourself switching your job/course to an almost unrelated one, or being assigned to another department where you're new to what they do (regardless if it is a promotion or not). If you stick to that idea or manages to give us that impression, you're good to go!

1 hour ago, Glaceon Mage said:

To think, I just removed the old thread from my sig since it'd been dead + I got mixed up on how well the new SF worked with colored links...  Well, since it's revived now, might as well put this there instead.

Might participate, maybe.  I have... something resembling an idea for this prompt, so we'll see how that goes.  

Good to have you back. Also, thanks for sharing.

I’m game this sounds like fun besides I need an outlet to help improve my writing anyway also question about the theme. 

Can the character’s first day on the job be a result of an April fool’s prank? or rather can the job itself be a part of some elaborate prank?

Edited by Otts486

3 hours ago, TheSilentChloey said:

Would I be horrible if I said I got the entry complete by the time I posted in here again?

Lol that's me. I can't wait to start writing!

When can we start?

i have no idea how i could possibly set aside the time from my mighty mangoes and other BS that i do on the internet.

fuck it. im in. i wanna join this writing thing, though i might just forget to actually do it, so if i forget, call me a no contest.

(also ive never actually done any serious creative writing before so it'll probably be a piece of shit)

Edited by (s)ad touch

2 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

Lol that's me. I can't wait to start writing!

When can we start?

24 hours from the first post.

I posted it 19 hours ago, so yeah, 5 hours from now I'll start the round. I'll post when it begins, so don't worry~

12 hours ago, Otts486 said:

I’m game this sounds like fun besides I need an outlet to help improve my writing anyway also question about the theme. 

Can the character’s first day on the job be a result of an April fool’s prank? or rather can the job itself be a part of some elaborate prank?

Yeah, it could be.

4 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

Whats the deadline for submission? 

Rounds last 2 weeks, vote phase lasts 5 days, a winner will be declared on the sixth day and by the seventh the winner comes up with a theme for the new round.

I'll post a timer when Round 1 starts to make it simpler for people from different timezones to stay up to date on the deadline.

Rapier, if you flake, can I ban you?  Flaking is only allowed in mafia! :P:

I should probably start my piece now, before RL finds a way to screw me over.

Okay, aaand it's up!

Round 1, Start!

I've placed the countdown on the introduction post, and rounded up the hour since I started at 6:38 instead of at 6:00 pm. So, have fun, and don't flake at writing.

@SirNicee it's not too late, you can join.

Edited by Rapier