SF's "Write Your Butt Off" II - Return of Writer's Block

Rapier

SF's Write Your Butt Off! II Votals  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which submission will you vote for?

• "The Heart of Dedication"
    • "The Strength Within"
    • "Simply a Hunter"
    • "One More Time"
    • "Perfected"
    • "No One Is Iredeemable"
    • "Going Forward"

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/09/2019 at 10:00 PM

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Yeah I was a bit concerned it would only really work for people familiar with Jugdral to appreciate, but it looks like there was enough of them to put me in the lead.

I'll make the prompt for this round a single word. Everyone can interpret the meaning and scope of it how they want. 

Round 5's prompt is Mercy.

May we do original work or FE material only?

1 hour ago, Farina's Pegasus said:

May we do original work or FE material only?

I outright encourage an original work. I was initially thinking about making the prompt be "not Fire Emblem" since we've had so many of them, but then I thought it might kill the competition entirely.

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I outright encourage an original work. I was initially thinking about making the prompt be "not Fire Emblem" since we've had so many of them, but then I thought it might kill the competition entirely.

Well it could be it couldn't as well.  Ultimately it depends on what people feel like working with.

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

I originally thought that only FE stories were entered here, since that seemed to be all the recent ones. But I think I've settled on the idea I'll use and it's going to be an original story.

27 minutes ago, Farina's Pegasus said:

I originally thought that only FE stories were entered here, since that seemed to be all the recent ones. But I think I've settled on the idea I'll use and it's going to be an original story.

That's mainly because FE stories are the easiest for us to look at and dissect. On one hand they're mostly easier to create concepts around since characters and setting is mostly set, however on the other hand because of that pre-established everything it leads to any flaw in character writing being amplified to 11.

I figured I may try to throw my hat into the ring, but I have a question first.

Q: In regards to rule 5, I have some concepts and characters laying around that I would like to use. While I have written things using these characters in the past, the entry that I am submitting is new. (I have an idea for what it is, but I haven't put it down to paper yet.) Is this okay?

For further information, I plan on using some ideas I had for a RWBY story for my entry. I originally planned a 10 chapter tale, but only managed to get to chapter 4. I want to write about a particular subplot that I laid the foundations for, but never got around to actually writing. The entry may reference events that I have already written (which I may rewrite for the reference), but the main story remains "new."

... The more I think about it, the more I think the answer is no since I am using some of my older work for the entry. I thought at first the rule was simply "do not submit a previously written story," but it may apply to using old characters, concepts, and references to older work. Even if I revised the concept and placed it into a different (but similar) setting, it'll probably end up being classified as an edited or rewritten piece. Technically all of my concepts and ideas can be considered "old work," so I'll have to come up with something completely brand new instead... (Overthinking it? Probably, but it pays to be safe and ask.)
- - - - - - - - - -
Anyways, if it doesn't work, then I can probably come up with something else. I just want to know before I start writing something.

6 hours ago, Sire said:

I figured I may try to throw my hat into the ring, but I have a question first.

Q: In regards to rule 5, I have some concepts and characters laying around that I would like to use. While I have written things using these characters in the past, the entry that I am submitting is new. (I have an idea for what it is, but I haven't put it down to paper yet.) Is this okay?

For further information, I plan on using some ideas I had for a RWBY story for my entry. I originally planned a 10 chapter tale, but only managed to get to chapter 4. I want to write about a particular subplot that I laid the foundations for, but never got around to actually writing. The entry may reference events that I have already written (which I may rewrite for the reference), but the main story remains "new."

... The more I think about it, the more I think the answer is no since I am using some of my older work for the entry. I thought at first the rule was simply "do not submit a previously written story," but it may apply to using old characters, concepts, and references to older work. Even if I revised the concept and placed it into a different (but similar) setting, it'll probably end up being classified as an edited or rewritten piece. Technically all of my concepts and ideas can be considered "old work," so I'll have to come up with something completely brand new instead... (Overthinking it? Probably, but it pays to be safe and ask.)
- - - - - - - - - -
Anyways, if it doesn't work, then I can probably come up with something else. I just want to know before I start writing something.

You can make an entry with pre-established OCs. I mean, it's equivalent to making an entry with pre-established characters from franchises, which is permitted, so I don't see why it shouldn't be allowed.

You can make an entry about a pre-established universe, for example, one taking place in your own fictional universe, or in Elibe, or in any other pre-established fictional world. Again, it's equivalent to writing a prompt about Ike in Tellius, or Marcus in Elibe, and this is already permitted, so using your pre-established universe is also allowed.

What you can't do is copy your work. That is, if I have already written a chapter that is very similar to the prompt I'm submitting, it's forbidden to copy that work, be it through literally using ctrl+c or heavily basing the 'new' work on it, and use it as a prompt for the contest. You have to write things from scratch, but the ideas don't need to be completely new.

tl;dr: The answer is yes, you can.

Edited by Rapier

13 hours ago, TheSilentChloey said:

I legit need grammar readers/spellcheck.  I have finished the real entry which I didn't expect but ah well, we can't let life get in the way now can we?

Tell you what, I'll do a check for you if you're okay with giving my entry feedback once I've finished the draft? I have no idea how long it's gonna be, but I'm estimating now it'll be within the 3000-4500 word count range. 

Entry done, thanks for those who were able to look over it :D:

Title: Mercy

Fandom: FEA/FE: Shadow Dragon

Word Count: 1,198

Spoiler

“Are you sure about me having to do this?  I...I can't...I can't do this!” He asked, with wide eyes, gripping his blade, and terror on his face as he did not want to be in the position he was in presently and he was stuck there, no matter how hard he'd tried to avoid it.

Below him an injured buck whose life was slowly fading away in an untold world of pain and suffering that was as upsetting as it was horrifying.  Especially since it was the boy's own arrow in its side missing the shot that was supposed to kill the animal.

Marth's father had the idea to take the boy out hunting, so the situation was his fault.  It was supposed to teach the boy to be a man.

Marth wasn't yet skilled with the bow, though he'd been expected to know how to hit his target at least.  Unfortunately for Marth, his father had felt learning with a moving target was the best experience. Marth didn't even want to  go hunting in the first place. He had pleaded not to go, begged his father to let him spend his free afternoon with his sister - to read with her and perhaps watch in wonder at her delicate needlepoints and other such amazing things she could create, things that Marth wished he could do - rather than hunting.

His father had collared the boy and said “Princes do not cry.  They do their duties as heirs to the kingdom!  Why has Naga disgraced me with such a weak-hearted son?!”

Even so it had not felt right to Marth.  It felt...wrong.  He looked to the adults around him, eyes pleading with them to at least do something, to spare him from having to take part in such an upsetting act, to not have to kill the animal, though his father's glare told the boy he would get no such escape, he wouldn't have a choice or say in the matter.

“It's th’ kindest thin’ t’ do.” the wizened old man sighed, “‘E ain't gonna las’ much longer boy, yer might as well end it.”

The buck lay on the ground, wounded and struggling.  The boy quivered shakily. Marth couldn't do it. He didn't want the beast to suffer...but he couldn't kill it.  His father scoffed in the background. Marth the Soft, they'd taken to calling him. Marth the Weak Heart. Marth the girl.  He looked at the dying buck and braced himself. He knew he didn't have a choice, but it still pained him to have to do this.  The scoffing wouldn't stop if he didn’t, of that he was certain. His blade came down and the buck let out a final screech before it became limp.  Marth was shaking, close to tears. He had not wanted to do this. He hated hunting. He decided then that he would never force his future son to do this.  Marth wouldn't force his son to have blood on his hands if he didn't want to.

~~~

The groan of a man dying on the battlefield wasn't uncommon of late.  Many men were dying out there. Not one able to be saved by healers. Their suffering beyond what was normal, a cruel suffering that reminded Marth of that hunt some three years ago.  A man lay before him, wounds deep and clearly in pain, making him want to end the man's suffering. Marth felt a pain in his chest.

The suffering beyond the skills of healers.  Suffering that no amount of magic could save the man's life, he was doomed to die, just like that buck that lay at Marth's feet, the scoffing behind him as phantoms looked on to see whether the young man would be man enough to be ‘merciful’ to the suffering below him.

The young man grit his teeth.  There was nothing to be done. He raised his blade and put an end to the suffering man.  Marth trembled inside now, tears locked behind an emotionless mask, his mind drawn inwards as the tiny boy inside wept uncontrollably, screaming as a twisted mercy came before him, death spreading like a dragon's wings over the battleground.  He'd grown a façade for these things and could not afford to be weak, not anymore. He wasn't the crying little boy. Even so it still hurt him deeply, shown by the single tear sliding down his face.

Death held such a sway over life that both were in the constant struggle, Marth was afraid that he too would be death's next target, that he would suffer a slow, agonising end that would consume him until there was nothing left.

He looked over the battlefield and for not the first time, he wanted to just sink to his knees and cry, to weep freely and be able to allow the pain to swallow him whole.

Grief for those who died gripping his heart and ripping it to shreds.  He wished he was dead, for it would be mercy to die now, yet this was not the time for that.  His position wouldn't let him. He had a realm to protect. A realm that was choking the life out of him.

~~~

She woke, breathing in frightened gasps, air burning her throat and lungs as the scene of carnage made her feel sick.  She lay in a cot, bandages wrapped around her chest. She almost did not know why she was there - a disconnect between what she saw in her ‘dream’ and this reality.  She was feverish, her skin bathed in sweat as her eyes darted, seeking a sword that wasn't by her side. A scream on the back of her throat died down when a snow haired man came in through the tent flap, soft brown eyes regarding her with concern, “Easy Lucina.” He said as she was still breathing hard.  The man came closer, with a staff in hand. Her mind barely registered that the staff was to heal her, soothed her as he continued, “It's alright, you're safe now.” Brown eyes looked into hers with a gentle expression on his face.

“What...where…?” She stammered out, eyes looking for any form of danger, of the remnants of the vision she had just seen,

“You took a lance to the chest…” The albino said softly, “We're in Ylisse.  A group of bandits tried to attack us. Thank Naga's mercy you're still alive.” He said gently holding her hand.  “We...I…”

She felt a small bout of strength and reached to soothe the man looking at her in turn, brushing his skin tenderly with her fingertips.

“It's not your fault, Robin.” She said, a warmth permeating her chest, “You did what you could.”

Robin smiled softly, “Yes, well…those bandits won't be troubling anyone ever again.”

Lucina smiled.  She was safe. She wasn't on a battlefield having to end the life of other people.  She was with the Shepherds, they were fine...she may have been injured but she would be fine.  She had Robin with her and she would be fine. The dream she had was fading away. She was alive.  Naga's mercy had saved her life, and she was alive.

Also I'd be happy to go over anyone else's if they need grammar and what not.

So I'm working steadily (as much as I can while dog-babysitting) on my entry, and having a lot of fun with it. I'm wondering, if I have time to get someone here to look over my work before submitting it, would I be able to copy-paste the entire story here, and then post the finished/revised version once the deadline arrives? I'm assuming I can only post the finished version here and not the draft, but I'd just like to be sure. If so, then anyone who wants to help me with improvements will be given a link (most likely in PMs). 

1 hour ago, Farina's Pegasus said:

So I'm working steadily (as much as I can while dog-babysitting) on my entry, and having a lot of fun with it. I'm wondering, if I have time to get someone here to look over my work before submitting it, would I be able to copy-paste the entire story here, and then post the finished/revised version once the deadline arrives? I'm assuming I can only post the finished version here and not the draft, but I'd just like to be sure. If so, then anyone who wants to help me with improvements will be given a link (most likely in PMs). 

You can post your work, but if you don't say it's for grammar proof-reading only I'll assume it's a submission and take it as the final piece of your work (you can't submit more than once).

It's much easier simply to ask people (not exclusively from this thread) to take a look at your work for grammar proof-reading and do it privately, though.

I missed the last round because I got super busy with work and the holidays. A bit of a bummer because I had some good ideas. So far, I don't have an idea of what I'm doing for this round, but I feel like there's a lot I could do! But I think I'll be able to finish something before the next holiday starts to creep up on me. *fingers crossed*

@Farina's Pegasus I don't mind proofreading if you want to copy-paste your piece into a PM.

6 hours ago, Rapier said:

You can post your work, but if you don't say it's for grammar proof-reading only I'll assume it's a submission and take it as the final piece of your work (you can't submit more than once).

It's much easier simply to ask people (not exclusively from this thread) to take a look at your work for grammar proof-reading and do it privately, though.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll stick with posting my finished work here, it'll be easiest that way.

@Rafiel's Aria I'll probably be at least a few more days to finish my draft, but I'd appreciate the help and I'll be fine to do the same for you if you decide to enter. 

9 minutes ago, Farina's Pegasus said:

Thanks for the clarification. I'll stick with posting my finished work here, it'll be easiest that way.

@Rafiel's Aria I'll probably be at least a few more days to finish my draft, but I'd appreciate the help and I'll be fine to do the same for you if you decide to enter. 

Cool. I don't mind checking it whenever you're done. It's supposed to snow this weekend, so I may be trapped anyway. 

I'm working on something now that I didn't think would fit the theme, but I kind of think it does. I know the rules say you're supposed to only ask for like...grammar and spell check stuff, but am I allowed to ask if it fits the theme as well? I'm kind of working on a very "thinky" piece. It's my first time writing something like this, so I wanna know if it works before I get completely roasted. XD

3 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

Cool. I don't mind checking it whenever you're done. It's supposed to snow this weekend, so I may be trapped anyway. 

I'm working on something now that I didn't think would fit the theme, but I kind of think it does. I know the rules say you're supposed to only ask for like...grammar and spell check stuff, but am I allowed to ask if it fits the theme as well? I'm kind of working on a very "thinky" piece. It's my first time writing something like this, so I wanna know if it works before I get completely roasted. XD

No one reader will be able to declare that it does or doesn't fit the theme. Each person will make that decision independently when it comes to voting (and for many it may or may not even matter). If you genuinely think it fits the theme then that's good enough.

26 minutes ago, Jotari said:

No one reader will be able to declare that it does or doesn't fit the theme. Each person will make that decision independently when it comes to voting (and for many it may or may not even matter). If you genuinely think it fits the theme then that's good enough.

To be fair, I thought my last piece fit the theme of the round, but the vast majority of people said it didn't. I likely wouldn't make any changes to my current piece if a proofreader said it didn't fit the theme. I just wouldn't enter it in this particular round, maybe write something more straightforward instead. To be fair, I started writing this piece without the "mercy" theme in mind, but it sort of became a byproduct of my draft.

1 hour ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

I'd be fine with that. Frankly, my biggest concern for the half of my story that exists right now is that it maybe doesn't fit the theme well enough, but if that's against the rules then I'm okay with just a more mechanical grammar/spelling/awkward phrasing check. 

I mean, I'm down to take a look at anyone's stuff for grammar/spellcheck/etc. I recommend copypasting it into a Google Doc and sending me the link, though, that's my usual medium for written works plus it's easier to run up suggestions in. I'm also officially skipping this round - I wanted to do a piece involving Horace from Shadow Dragon, but in the end I'm too far behind Chloey and need to try and catch up(plus 5mash releases in two days so I can't guarantee I'd be able to focus on this either way).

20 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

I mean, I'm down to take a look at anyone's stuff for grammar/spellcheck/etc. I recommend copypasting it into a Google Doc and sending me the link, though, that's my usual medium for written works plus it's easier to run up suggestions in. I'm also officially skipping this round - I wanted to do a piece involving Horace from Shadow Dragon, but in the end I'm too far behind Chloey and need to try and catch up(plus 5mash releases in two days so I can't guarantee I'd be able to focus on this either way).

You're not too far behind yet as the first chapter hasn't been posted.  Though I am mildly curious as to how much fun smash is going to be.

11 hours ago, TheSilentChloey said:

You're not too far behind yet as the first chapter hasn't been posted.  Though I am mildly curious as to how much fun smash is going to be.

As someone who's played each of the other four Smash games, Ultimate looks good. Perhaps not as tournament-intensive as Melee, but definitely a step up from Sm4sh, which was already a big step up from Brawl. Someone leaked the entire game early as a ROM, so a coworker of mine downloaded it onto his hacked Switch, and he says it's good enough he's still going to buy the actual thing in a couple days. We played two rounds, Chrom v Toon Link and Roy v Marth, since I wanted to test for differences between Sm4sh Roy and 5mash Roy and for differences between Roy and Chrom. Overall, this is gonna be good.

Also the frick were you reading my mind with the opening insert for CF3?