SF's "Write Your Butt Off" II - Return of Writer's Block

Rapier

SF's Write Your Butt Off! II Votals  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which submission will you vote for?

• "The Heart of Dedication"
    • "The Strength Within"
    • "Simply a Hunter"
    • "One More Time"
    • "Perfected"
    • "No One Is Iredeemable"
    • "Going Forward"

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/09/2019 at 10:00 PM

5 minutes ago, Tactician Robin said:

Hello wonderfully literate people! I've never really posted around before but this seems like a lot of fun! Is it okay for a newcomer to jump right in?

Yep, just follow the current prompt and write whatever you want (granted that it stays within the pretty lax rules we have)

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Tactician Robin said:

Hello wonderfully literate people! I've never really posted around before but this seems like a lot of fun! Is it okay for a newcomer to jump right in?

Always!

The ducks are in the row! Here it is! If I messed up please let me know and I will change it as soon as possible.

Title: Simply a Hunter
Words: 2337
Fandom: Fire Emblem: Awakening

A little background on this would be this takes place right after the defeat of King Grangel and at the beginning of the two years of peace Ylisse achieves. You follow my original character, Hunter, who is the second born son of Robin and Olivia and his struggles with coping with the future (I promise, this is the only pairing you need to know!). Please enjoy! =w=

Spoiler

The capital of Ylisse, Ylisstol, danced in the warmth of the spring sunshine. The streets were lined with vendors eager to share and barter their wares. Children skipped down the cobblestone roads with pocket change and gleeful expressions on their faces. Women dried laundry from their windows and called down their friends. Life was calm all after the Plegian King’s defeat.

A man shifted through the street, his gray eyes lost into the nothingness. He bumped into people as he hobbled on, muttering “Sorry” and “Excuse me” under the depths of his scarf. He adjusted his hood on his head to cover his face. A satchel laid at the man’s side with the tip of a bow sticking out.

He stopped in front of the castle and looked up. The high, gray pillars loomed over his head with the blue, fluttering banner of Ylisse casting a shadow of safety and security. Blinking a moment, he pulled the scarf away from his mouth. Father, I will find the answer. Please hold on, just a bit longer.

He approached one of the two guards who were watching from the gate. Their armor clattered with every sudden move as they straightened up, “Can I help you?” the guard to the left asked in a gruff voice, “We don’t accept the offer of mercenary help, I hope you know that.”

“Oh gods no, I would never approach you for that silly reason,” The man waved off the comment, “I wanted to ask you where the nearest library was.”

“Can I ask why you would want to know? You aren’t from around here, are you?” the soldier bitterly replied.

“I am simply a Hunter. I travel the lands offering my bow to those who have the coin.”

“So, you are a mercenary? Should have known. Well, the library isn’t too far from here. Just take a sharp left past the fountain and you’ll reach it in no time.”

“Thanks,” Hunter replied as he nodded to the guard. He turned around and followed the directions and soon of the magnificent library that was housed to the public of Ylisstol. The marble structure was home to two lion gargoyles that protect those who thirsted for knowledge. Many people loitered around the steps, discussing current affairs in the kingdom and the turn of the war that once was with Plegia. Hunter ignored these people as he made his way inside the structure.

Rows upon rows of books lined the shelves. Ladders strung to the cases loudly clattered on their wooden wheels as librarians pulled books from the top shelves. People dotted the library at the many available tables to enjoy the variety of books. Hunter was overwhelmed by the sight. It’s like finding a needle in a haystack. Well, I knew this would not be an easy task. He blinked away the doubts in his resolve as he located the nearest librarian.

“Excuse me, but could you direct me to the books about the Fell Dragon Grima and the Grimleal?” Hunter asked the girl politely. She turned around with her brown hair bobbing in her ponytail.

“We haven’t had anyone ask about that subject in a long while. No need to read up on such a grim subject when the blessing of Naga and Falchion protect us from that cult,” the girl cocked her head as she spoke. Her brow furrowed as she continued, “May I ask why you are looking for this?”

“I-“ Hunter stopped himself. The truth of his mission would shatter anyone who heard his tale. He bit his tongue and formed a false reply, “Just curiosity. I know some Grimleals were part of the Plegian Army and wanted to know more about their origin before they are lost to the pages of history.”

“Fair enough, come with me,” the girl beckoned him with her eyes. She led him deep into the library. They passed through numerous rows of books that Hunter lost count of. Gazing about, he read the titles as he passed. Fairytales and history lined the shelved with many varying authors. She eventually stopped in her tracks as Hunter accidentally bumped into her.

“Oh, Robin, I didn’t expect to see you here!” her eyes lit up at the familiar tactician. His dove, white hair fluttered as his head turned. Robin’s chestnut gaze softened at the two as he slowly closed the book he was engrossed in. Hunter tensed up at the sight. His palms started to sweat as he blinked away the apprehension in his chest. Of all the people, it had to be you.

“Greetings. I thought I’d be the only one lost in this hall,” Robin chuckled a little, “What brings you down here?”

“Well, I was just helping this young man find what he needed. My work here is done and if you need anything, please let me know,” the librarian averted her gaze from the infamous tactician and left Hunter alone with Robin.

“So, what brings you here?” Robin asked Hunter.

“Oh, just wanted to research a bit about the Grimleal, nothing more,” Hunter purposely looked at the books instead of Robin. His fingers pressed against the old binding as he read the faded titles in his head.

“You too? I wanted to know more about the gods, all of them. My memory is fickle as you may have heard,” Robin said calmly.

“Who doesn’t know about how the tactician who only knew his and Chrom’s name saved Ylisse from the destruction of Plegia?” Hunter shakily responded and pulled out a book. He flipped through the pages quickly without reading more than a few words.

“Is something on the mind?”

Hunter thought about his response. The tactician of Ylisse cannot know the full truth. Anybody but him. I will have to find a way around the question with nothing more than a lie. As someone who has seen the true destruction in the depths of his heart, the truth would spiral him closer to that dark revelation.

“Nothing more than the worry of my family in these dire times. Peace has put me on edge as another war could stir up at any moment. My Mother’s heart would waver heavy if she saw her precious little boy in the war.”

“I see,” Robin simply replied. “I understand the heartache. The fate of my comrades rests on my shoulders and I have made more than a few mistakes.” His eyes trailed off as Robin lost himself in the memories of the battlefield.

If only you know the devastation you would bring upon this world. Hunter shivered a little. He hadn’t heard these kind words from Robin’s lips in a long time. The breath that ruined the future was still warm and considerate of the heart. Hunter simply was able to say, "Humans make mistakes...no one is perfect after all and life is messy at the best of times. So, don't be too hard on yourself."

“Chrom said similar words to me before. He truthfully believed I did the best I could, even at the cost of the late Exalt, Emmeryn,” Robin responded softly. He then continued, “May I ask you what your name is?”

“Me? Well I am simply a Hunter,” Hunter replied.

“Well, Hunter, if you ever need anything, tell the guards that Robin said it was okay,” he smiled at Hunter warmly, “I assure you that your Mother won’t have to worry about you if you get dragged into the war.”

I’m more worried about you Father! The words almost escaped from Hunter’s lips. He wanted to protect this version of Father, no matter the cost. He sighed, closed the book he was holding, and replied, “Thank you Robin, I appreciate it.”

“Now, why don’t you smile a bit? The sun is awfully warm today and I think I heard a few cheerful birds on my way over here. It’s important to live in the present and remember the gifts you have,” Robin carelessly waved his hand.

“Right, the present,” Hunter repeated, “But remember our actions today shape the future of tomorrow.”

“Oh? Well of course that’s true. My past may be blurred but I can assure you my future is a bright one, thanks to Chrom and the Shepherds. Now, I better get back to the castle and review that strategy to keep the stragglers of Grangel’s loyalists away from the Ylissean border.”

“It was pleasant to meet you, Robin,” Hunter managed to smile a little, “I’m sure your strategy will keep the people of this kingdom safe.”

“That includes you as well,” Robin placed the book he was reading back on the shelf. With a curt nod, he passed by Hunter with light thoughts and smiles. Hunter watched him melt into the numerous tomes and books of the library.

Relieved he didn’t mess up, Hunter picked up the book Robin was reading. “The Forlorn Gods of Old and New,” Hunter read out loud. Why this book? What secret did he see in this? He proceeded to open it and exam the pages. With a few turns and furrowed brow, Hunter came across a section detailing Grima.

“Does he?” Blinking, Hunter traced the mark of Grima with his finger. The same mark that doted his Father’s right hand. “He…he…” The tears rhythmically dripped from Hunter’s eyes and stained the page. He did say he was reading about the gods. The crinkling of the parchment matched the age of the ancient text. “Father, you have an inkling, don’t you?”

He lowered his hood and let his snow, white hair ruffle around his face. The unruly mess tangled in front of his eyes and blurred his vision. I’m tired of running away. My Father is right, I must start living more in the present. His mind wandered back to Lucina. She was so focused on the hardened future, she had forgotten how to live and enjoy the sunshine. I have to do it for her and my sake.

He spent the rest of the afternoon engrossed in as many books about Grima he could find. Frustration overtook him a few times as he slammed his hands down on the table. “Nothing here will help him!” Hunter muttered angrily. There was seemingly no information on how to remove the blood from one’s veins save a few inklings the Manaketes may know. One text mentioned bringing out the Fire Emblem’s power, however, under Hunter’s conditions, he had no means of even encountering the ancient relic.

“This would have been the last place I thought I’d find you, brother,” a smooth voice snickered behind him.

Hunter spun around at the sound of the voice, “Inigo…” The familiar, handsome boy twirled the cowlick in his gray hair. His similarly gray eyes were like calming clouds of a midsummer’s day.

“Yes, quite the trying times we are in,” Inigo looked at the scattered books about, “I fancied one of the librarians in here, but she turned me down before I even got the chance to ask her for a cup of tea. I saw your white bobbing hair out of the corner of my eye and decided to touch base.”

“Glad to see you never change,” Hunter rolled his eyes, “While you were trying to play the game of romance, again, I was actually trying to fix our future.”

“Of course, I’m helping as well. We haven’t been here that long, Myles, and the time when Grima overtakes our Father’s body is still a time away.”

“I thought I told you to call me Hunter while we are here,” Hunter sighed, “We can’t let our parents find us. At least one of us is following in Lucina’s careful footsteps.”

“The name slipped my mind, I’m sorry. And I have been doing my part! I’m trying to find Morgan, remember? She slipped away from us when we arrived and no one has had a word of her whereabouts since,” Inigo pursed his lips in frustration.

“Clearly you can take the time to fancy a lady while your sister could be dying in a hole somewhere,” Hunter wasn’t amused. He then stopped in his tracks and remembered what Robin said to him. Live in the present. “Sorry, I got carried away there.”

“Oh, was that an apology I heard?” Inigo amusingly put a hand to his ear, “That’s rare coming from you.”

“Even in the past, Father is still lecturing me. It’s time I lived a bit more in the present. These books weren’t much of a help anyways,” Hunter closed the current one in his hands.

A smile crept across Inigo’s face, “The sweet words of Robin were the only thing that could change your mind back when our lives were not being pushed to the brink of destruction. Well, welcome to the present brother, we missed you!”

“I missed it, too,” Hunter smiled softly, “However, I think you’d like to know that our Father might have an idea that something is up with his heritage. He was reading one of these books about Grima.”

“Well, our Father is the famous tactician of Ylisse. Though the late Exalt died to protect her citizens, Robin still managed to help Chrom overthrow Gangrel. Come, brother, let’s leave this stuffy place. You can tell me the rest on the way.”

With a few moments of placing the books back their respective shelves, the two boys left the library in higher spirits. Hunter’s inner turbulence was calmed, even if it was just for a day. Inigo kept the sunshine bright with his light chatter of what he was able to accomplish since the last time the two brothers met.

Yes, the present is the time I must focus on. The past has no answers and the future is doom. However, the present is as warm as the sunshine. I think, even if it's just for a day, I will be able to be live the life I used to. Become the son of the great tactician Robin who would smile during the hardest of times.   

Edited by Tactician Robin
Itallics didn't transfer, oh no!

Oh, another Awakening story, interesting. I'll have to read more of it tomorrow since it's very late for me here.

Also, btw Chloey, I decided I really should follow the example you set, where you said you'll read something with a ship or whatever that you don't like so long as it's a good story. I'd like to be like that too. It's more mature than just turning my nose up at something just because it has Ike/Soren or Chrom/Robin or whatever else. They really could be good stories just like you say, and maybe even lessen my dislike for them a bit.

53 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Oh, another Awakening story, interesting. I'll have to read more of it tomorrow since it's very late for me here.

Also, btw Chloey, I decided I really should follow the example you set, where you said you'll read something with a ship or whatever that you don't like so long as it's a good story. I'd like to be like that too. It's more mature than just turning my nose up at something just because it has Ike/Soren or Chrom/Robin or whatever else. They really could be good stories just like you say, and maybe even lessen my dislike for them a bit.

It's something I've had to learn over the years.

Plus there are some amazing good stories with characters that aren't my favourite ships out there...as long as there's decent story to go with it I'll read, doesn't mean I like but I'll still read it all the same.  It does help to go in with an open mind with those types of things (not easy I can tell you) I've been getting better at it.

7 hours ago, TheSilentChloey said:

It's something I've had to learn over the years.

Plus there are some amazing good stories with characters that aren't my favourite ships out there...as long as there's decent story to go with it I'll read, doesn't mean I like but I'll still read it all the same.  It does help to go in with an open mind with those types of things (not easy I can tell you) I've been getting better at it.

I see. Then it's something I ought to learn too.

14 hours ago, Tactician Robin said:

Of course! Welcome to our dungeon of fun.

6 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

Of course! Welcome to our dungeon of fun.

Hehe, yes I did forget about that one XD

3 hours ago, Ottservia said:

This has some implications to it.

It can but given context I don't think so.

One More Time

Fandom: Fire emblem Awakening

Words: 1,544

Spoiler

“Now just apply the whetstone to the blade at an angle and then…” A clunk of metal rang into the air as the sword snapped in two. “Gah! Not again! That’s the fifth one that broke!” Severa tossed the broken sword to the side, “Nothing EVER goes right for me!”

A hefty sigh heaved from her lungs. It’s okay just try again. Maybe she held it at the wrong angle or perhaps she applied too much force. One more time just gotta try once more. She looked back at the shelf of swords. She counted six. Six swords left to sharpen. Six more attempts to succeed. Six more chances of failure. She grabbed a sword and laid it down in front of her. She took the whetstone and once again began to try and sharpen. Okay so keep the whetstone at a thirty-degree angle and…

Another clunk scattered to the air as the sword once again snapped in two.

Ugh not again! Stupid swords must be defective or something. She tossed the sword to the side. It’s ok just try again, just try again once more. She grabbed another sword. This time she’ll try going slower. She swiped the whetstone. A small smile crept on her face. It didn’t break. Another swipe and another clunk of metal. She frowned. She tossed the now broken sword to the side and grabbed the third one.

She had to keep trying at least one more time. She placed it on the stone table and swiped at a different angle. Three swipes and once again the two halves of the sword clamor to the ground. She scowled at the sword as she catapulted the now useless weapon across the room.

She had to try one more time.

Another sword, another couple swipes, and another clunk of metal.

One more time.

Severa grabbed another sword. Ever so steadily, she placed the whetstone against the edge of the blade. Two swipes. It didn’t break. She could do this. A third swipe. The sword remained intact. Was this it? Was this the one sword that wasn’t going to break?! With renewed confidence, she went for a fourth swipe. Her smile warped into a glare as the sword unsurprisingly snapped in two. Once again she picked up the broken weapon and tossed it to the side. What the hell was she doing wrong?! She was doing it exactly as she was taught, so then why? Why does she keep failing?! She SHOULDN’T have THIS much trouble just sharpening some stupid swords!!

Oh wow, the great Cordelia’s daughter can’t even sharpen a simple sword!? Who would’ve thought her daughter would be so inept at simple chores? Are you okay? If she can’t do this, then for sure she’ll never be anywhere near the gifted warrior her mother is.

Those words flooded her mind and began to strangle her chest. “Gods just shut up!!” She cried out to no one in particular. A few ragged breaths puffed swiftly from her mouth. She looked back at the shelf of worn down swords. There was just one sword left. She grabbed the sword and held it in front of her. Her reflection seemed to glimmer off the dull blade.

Perhaps she should just stop and give up. She could go do some other task that she felt confident she could do. Who was she kidding? She’s already tried everything else and every time it ended in disaster. Dinner was just a smoldering pile of black sludge because she accidentally spilled oil in the fire. Stahl couldn’t fight in the next battle because her hand slipped with an ax. This was all she could at the moment and besides…

She’ll never be as gifted as her mother.

She had to prove them wrong. She had to prove that SHE could do this. She laid the sword out in front of her. She grabbed her whetstone and slathered it in oil. Okay, she could do this. Apply the whetstone to the blade at a thirty-degree angle. Then slowly and steadily swipe it against the edge of the blade. To her relief, the sword remained intact. She could do this now one more time. Another swipe and still intact. One more time. Another swipe and again the sword remained in one piece. A smile curved on her face. She could do this. She continued and after several more swipes, the sword stayed intact. This was it! The only sword that wouldn’t break! She just needed to swipe it one more time and then she’ll be done! One more time. One more time! Severa swiped the whetstone one last time and just like the now broken blade, her heart snapped in two.

Tears welled in her eyes as the whetstone she was using slammed into the floor. Low whimpers began to escape her mouth as her hands covered her face. She was worthless. She couldn’t do anything right. The army would just be better off without her. Who needs just an inferior copy of something they already have?! Perhaps she should just stop breathing and be done with it. She glanced down at the one of the dull blades on the floor. Its flat jagged edge glimmered in her tear stained eyes. It may be dull but it should still be sharp enough to... As if in a trance, she reached down for the glistening escape key.

“Severa? Is everything alright?” She heard her father’s voice which caused her to stop. “Oh my what happened in here?” He said as he noticed all the broken sword pieces scattered across the floor.

He picked up a couple pieces and inspected them, “Geez what a mess and the edges on them are so dull as if an amateur sharpened them”

And just like that, A knife was sent drilling through the white-haired girl’s chest.

He placed a hand on his daughter’s shoulder, “Did you do this?” He asked.

She glanced up at her father and instantly the knife slashed into her heart. The seemingly disappointed look on his face seemed to tighten around her chest and suffocate her lungs. She knew that look all too well. The furrowed brow, the straightened lips, and the narrowed eyes all screamed at her.

She’ll never be the warrior mother was! Are you okay? How could she be the daughter of Cordelia! Her mother never seemed to fail at such simple things! I’m just fine. No problem. Cordelia could do this blindfolded but her daughter can barely do it even with assistance! I'll just try again. I wonder if she’s even trying! please let me try again just one more time. Man she's such a disappointment. 

She'llnobestcordeliadisappointmentonefailuremotherokay!

Stop! Go away! Shut up! J-Just....

JUST SHUT UP!!!” She cried out as more tears began to pool in her eyes. “It’s not my fault they’re defective!!

“Severa…” Her father began to take a step back.

The young mercenary slapped her father’s hand away. “I’m sorry okay! I’m sorry I’m not perfect like mother! I’m sorry I’m SO STUPID!!” She shot her tear stained face up at him, “I get it I’m useless! You should just drown me in a sack!

“Severa I think you’re overreact…”

I burn everything I try to cook!I just about beheaded a horse while chopping wood! I’m no help to anyone!! I’m just a bunch of lame deadweight!!” Her voice seemed to break as she continued to shout.

I’m nothing but a pale imitation of mother! Everyone thinks so!! Especially you!” She pointed a finger in his face, “You must be so disappointed in your daughter for not being able to do such simple task!” Quick ragged breaths squeezed through her clenched teeth.

For a moment, her father stood still in utter silence.

“Well?” She looked at him expectantly, “ if you have something to say, then say it!”

“I’m not disappointed, Severa” He finally said, “I couldn’t be happier that you came back to us”

Severa raised a furrowed eyebrow, “Are you mocking me?! All my life every time I’ve messed up, people have ALWAYS compared me to mother!” She pointed at him once again, “and you’re closer to her than anyone! I KNOW you think I don’t measure up!” Once again her voice breaks.

A single tear drips from his cheek as her father quickly wrapped his arms around his daughter.

“Hey what are you…”

“You’re your own woman, Severa. I would never compare you to anyone” He said as he brought her closer into the embrace. “You’re my daughter and treasure and I know your mother feels the same”

“Wha..”

“I love you, honey, and I am behind you no matter what happens. No one is perfect… everyone makes mistakes...so don’t be so hard on yourself with all this talk about being disappointed! It makes me feel like I’ve failed you as a father!”

“D-daddy I…”The pit in her chest began to lift as a torrent of tears began to flood from her eyes. “I’m sorry...I…” She wrapped her arms around him.

“Don’t cry. You must be so exhausted after all you’ve been through. I’m sorry I said you needed more hardship before but it’s okay now, I’m here for you”

“Thanks, daddy” Severa said with a smile.

because I just couldn't resist. Anywho I like how this one turned out. Severa is my favorite FE girl for a reason and damnit am I going to show why. Title is an allusion to Rolling Girl which is what I used as a sort of blueprint for this story.

Edit: made a few minor tweaks such as adding a bit more lines to help really sell the anxiety.

Edited by Ottservia

2 hours ago, TheSilentChloey said:

And the bonus points keep on rolling lol XD

Poor Sev though, that girl needs a hug!

Yes! That she does! All she needs is a hug and for someone to tell her that she’s special! And thank you. Hah rolling that's funny considering the title of the song I based my story off of.

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I kind of regret doing Awakening now. If I'd known at least two other people were going to use that game, I'd have done a different idea. Now it's being overdone. >_<

I wouldn’t feel too bad about it. I mean I was gonna awakening from the minute I read the prompt. Great minds think alike as they say.

Edited by Ottservia

3 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

I wouldn’t feel too bad about it. I mean I was gonna awakening from the minute I read the prompt. Great minds think alike as they say.

I just feel a bit unoriginal is all. I like try something different than others when it comes to writing or art or whatever. xP

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

I just feel a bit unoriginal is all. I like try something different than others when it comes to writing or art or whatever. xP

I totally understand that sentiment but what can ya do am I right?

A non official story XD I did say I'd be writing anyway so here it is:

Title: Mistaken Identity

Words: 1,256

Fandom: Fire Emblem Heroes

Spoiler

"Humans make mistakes...no one is perfect after all and life is messy at the best of times.  So don't be too hard on yourself." Lucina flinched as “Robin” spoke, though it wasn't really Robin who was speaking to her, she knew full well as no matter how much he might look like her father’s tactician, the man who was speaking to her was anyone but the kind gentle man she knew.  He was the Fell Dragon Grima.

Lucina looked right at Grima and he seemed not to notice that she was gaping at him.  Indeed he continued as if she'd not been standing there with an open mouth, “If that's any consolation at least.” He said then he looked down as if unsure of what he was saying, red irises seemingly guilty- which wasn't the Grima that Lucina had known in the slightest.

The Grima she knew would have been trying to kill her where she stood, not talking to her.  He also wouldn't have called her human, or said anything of this nature.  It just wasn't Grima at all. She half expected it to be some sort of prank, a ruse or that she was purely dreaming of all of it.

“Why are you telling me that?” Lucina demanded of the unholy dragon.  Eyes narrowed in suspicion as she knew Grima was not something to be trifled with.  That dragon was the very embodiment of ruin and despair, she couldn't afford to drop her guard for even a moment lest he take the opportunity to end her here and now.  She wouldn’t put it past the deceitful being. He was the most dangerous being she’d ever had to deal with.

“Because it's what she would say.” Grima shrugged as his expression softened ever so slightly, a softening that would have been easy to miss had Lucina not been scrutinizing him so closely as she was. “And the Summoner is...more forgiving than I ever could be.  Perhaps there is a wisdom in her ways. She is truly the most curious of humans I have ever encountered.”

Lucina gaped at Grima.  Since when did he refer to the Summoner like that.  What in the nine hells was he talking about?  More forgiving about what?! And why on earth did Grima's expression soften like that?!  Lucina just wasn’t getting it.  It was beyond her understanding and for not the first time since she was summoned did she wonder what kind of world this was.

Of course being summoned to Askr in the first place had been a huge shock to Lucina.  It was unexpected and terrifying at the same time. For Lucina to be separated from her family and friends made her uneasy.  Though she was glad to know that they were all safe. It had been a trying while as she adjusted to this new world, and hope began to bloom despite herself as she saw that there were other worlds where her mission had been successful as well.  Still having seen Grima here and acting like this…

She did not expect Grima to be like this.  He sighed and then huffed, turning rapidly on his heal he went to leave, “What makes you say that?  About Chloey…?” Lucina asked, and she wondered if there was some sort of barrier between her and Grima that she had not been aware of as Grima replied,

“Find out for yourself.” His tone was sharp, as if he'd expected her reaction.  Dare Lucina think it he sounded...upset somehow. As if...no...surely not…there was no way that Grima would be hurt by what she’d said, or her reaction to his words...

This was Grima.  The Fell Dragon who revealed in death and destruction.  There was no way he was an ally.  Worse still there was no way he'd be...and yet...Lucina couldn't deny what she'd just witnessed.  She was still, shock keeping her in place as she realised what had just happened.

Grima had spoken to her, albeit in a roundabout manner which she had not expected in the slightest.  Grima had tried to lift her spirits- though why didn't make sense to Lucina since as far as she knew…Grima would never do that for anyone.  He was the literal Breath of Ruin and Wings of Despair.  There was no way anyone would find happiness with or around Grima.  It was always the same. He was a being who should not have been allowed to exist at all...

Maybe Askr was the cause of this strange behaviour.  She doubted it but she'd go with the explanation. It was the best she could come up with, though if Lucina was being entirely honest...she was wanting Grima to be the evil being she was used to.  It was jarring to see even the tiniest shred of humanity inside him.

~~~

Lucina walked the halls of Askr's Castle and little by little she spoke with all of the people suddenly summoned there.  She spoke to Marth- and it was an interesting conversation to say the least. Lucina had not known that the summoner was so close to Grima.  Still she dreaded the Summoner finding out about the shattered training dummy. Guilt consumed her as Lucina made her way to the central hall and spotted Chloey and Grima- they were talking about the next training session and Lucina couldn't help but notice the way Grima seemed to smile.  It wasn't a smile she was used to seeing. It was a smile like Robin's…and Chloey’s grin was a sight to behold. The summoner giggling at something Grima had said- Grima blushed and she reached up and pat his head. Lucina wondered why Grima even let the Summoner do that to him.

~~~

Lucina was in the next training group.  Having Grima with her wasn't exactly comforting, though Chloey had said he was harmless Lucina did not exactly believe that for a second.  Grima however held little concern for Lucina, occasionally helping her get closer to the enemy to make her strikes, or pulling her out of range to take the hit himself.  It confused Lucina. She felt so out of sorts it was beginning to confuse and upset her. How could this be happening?

~~~

She missed the training dummy entirely.  “Hey, Lucina.” Chloey’s voice floated over.  A warm, gentle voice that Lucina came to find almost soothing in a way, “I noticed the other day one of the training dummies was out of action and Chrom swears he didn’t break it...do you know if-”

Lucina flushed.  Of all the things to happen why did that question-

“Iwaspractinganditwasanaccident-”

Chloey chuckled softly, “I see.” She gently pat Lucina’s shoulder, “Humans make mistakes sometimes...nobody is perfect after all and life can get messy.  Please don’t be so hard on yourself. You and Chrom.” She said and Lucina felt dejavu. Though the way Chloey said it… “I’ll see if Anna can order a new training dummy.”

“Chloey…”

The summoner turned to face Lucina, “Yes Lucina?” She asked kindly,

“I...was wondering...about Grima…”

Chloey sighed but she gave Lucina a small smile, “Let me guess you’re not aware of the Thabes incident are you?”

Lucina frowned and said, “The ‘Thabes’ incident?”

“Let’s just say that Grima had a lot of ‘unpacking’ to do.  Anyway I should probably go check on him to make sure he’s not getting into trouble.  I’ll see you later when the teams are announced for the Tempest Trails.”

Lucina frowned in confusion.  She had a lot to learn it seemed...  

Enjoy XD

Edited by TheSilentChloey

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Originality comes from the heart, not the subject matter. Three people can write a story on Awakening all with their own twist on it. It's fun to see what others think on the same topic as it can help you expand and grow as an author. Now, I wrote my story on Awakening for the same reason of Ottservia as it was the first thing that came to mind with the prompt. Nothing more than a stroke of the stars and moon aligning for the three of us.

8 hours ago, Tactician Robin said:

I also would like to bring to everyone's attention my italics didn't transfer over for my story, so the thoughts of my character were hard to pick up on. I fixed this, so no more worrying!

I think it's something to do with SF and phones that won't allow italics or formatting from phones.  Not so sure though...