What is your method for choosing which units to pair in FE4, 13, and 14?

gjuptonv

What is your method for choosing which units to pair in FE4, 13, and 14?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. What is your method for choosing which units to pair in FE4, 13, and 14?

• Optimizing Child Units
    • Relationship Between Parents
    • Other (if so, please explain)

I've been playing through FE13 on HM/Ironman, asking my partner to choose all of my pairings. I realized her method for pairings units is visual, she picks whoever look like a cute couple and then confirm the pairing if they visually mesh with their children. I usually pair units based on either optimization or specific builds I have in mind for that run, so this has been an extremely unique experience. So far it's been a lot of fun playing through with another entirely different system for pairings, and I'm curious how others here determine their pairings.

Generally speaking I only pair characters that I like together and ignore more convenient outcomes like the stats it gives their kids. I hear Levin Arthur is amazing but because it requires Tailtiu to pass over Azelle I'm not likely to try it out.

Fates also added another very important, but silly thing to consider when pairing characters....namely hair colors. A lot of kids in Fates just look absolutely silly when inheriting hair colors that obviously don't fit with their design. Purple haired Shiro would be a good example of this. 

4 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Generally speaking I only pair characters that I like together and ignore more convenient outcomes like the stats it gives their kids. I hear Levin Arthur is amazing but because it requires Tailtiu to pass over Azelle I'm not likely to try it out.

Fates also added another very important, but silly thing to consider when pairing characters....namely hair colors. A lot of kids in Fates just look absolutely silly when inheriting hair colors that obviously don't fit with their design. Purple haired Shiro would be a good example of this. 

That's fair! Pairing the two non-major holyblood magic kids feels appropriate, especially so for their childrens' plot-related revenge.

Was the hair colour factor not added in Awakening?

Edited by gjuptonv

1 minute ago, gjuptonv said:

By Pink Owain's backside yes it was.

Though I'm in agreement a bunch of hair colors just don't work for some kids, which is bound to happen when it's just a quick edit and not something tweezed for each character individually. I did Azura!Kiragi once, good offense, but he looked old with that bluey white.

Typically, I pair purely on gameplay merits.

33 minutes ago, gjuptonv said:

That's fair! Pairing the two non-major holyblood magic kids feels appropriate, especially so for their childrens' plot-related revenge.

And they seem to have been long time friends before it. Their personalities could also play off really well together in a remake. 

Awakening did add the hair colors first but I think the kids were designed so that all hair colors looked at least decent on everyone. Some colors might not have worked as well as others but In Fates it was clear a lot of hair colors just didn't fit a lot of the kids. I speculate that this is due to the Fates kids being a far later addition to their game than the Awakening ones. 

for me it's a little of both and depends on the difficulty I'm playing on. If i'm playing on say lunatic or conquest hard I'll mostly go for optimization. while on hard or normal I can be a bit more lenient and normally go for whoever I feel would be good together with both optimization and OTPs in mind. Though when comes to the avatar I just ship them with who ever I damn well please regardless of optimization because that really doesn't matter when it comes to them because the kids end up pretty good regardless.

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

And they seem to have been long time friends before it. Their personalities could also play off really well together in a remake. 

Awakening did add the hair colors first but I think the kids were designed so that all hair colors looked at least decent on everyone. Some colors might not have worked as well as others but In Fates it was clear a lot of hair colors just didn't fit a lot of the kids. I speculate that this is due to the Fates kids being a far later addition to their game than the Awakening ones. 

Talking about this is making me want to play FE4 again. I was planning to pair Azel with Ayra for magic sword Larcei and Ulster, but it's been some time since I tried a proper Azel!Tiltyu pairing.

Yeah I see what you mean and it makes sense.

1 hour ago, (s)ad touch said:

other because i don't really give a shit about pairings in fateswakening and in fe4 i just optimize forseti arthur to get me through the game and dont touch much of anything else tbh

Is Foreseti Arthur that powerful? 

1 hour ago, Otts486 said:

for me it's a little of both and depends on the difficulty I'm playing on. If i'm playing on say lunatic or conquest hard I'll mostly go for optimization. while on hard or normal I can be a bit more lenient and normally go for whoever I feel would be good together with both optimization and OTPs in mind. Though when comes to the avatar I just ship them with who ever I damn well please regardless of optimization because that really doesn't matter when it comes to them because the kids end up pretty good regardless.

How do you feel about characters whose only supports/romance options are the Avatar/Corrin?

2 minutes ago, (s)ad touch said:

yeah dude its forseti first chapter with a mount soon if you train him fast enough

Good point; that sounds extremely OP.

Whoever's easiest to pair in combat, unless there's a ship I really like to the point I'll go out of my way to get it (like Odin/Elise) or a child really needs X parent and is a favorite of mine (Forrest kinda needs one of Nyx or Felicia due to his magic statline).  

It depends, I tend to go for pairs that I  both like and result in good children. However, if push comes to shove I will lean towards child optimization, or in the case of Fates partner reclass options. 

20 minutes ago, gjuptonv said:

How do you feel about characters whose only supports/romance options are the Avatar/Corrin?

While it does limit their usefulness, I actually think some of the corrinsexual supports are some of Corrin's best romance options. In particular I am talking about Scarlet and Flora, since they are both very interesting characters that deserve more attention than they end up getting.  I especially like Corrin and Flora as a couple because it finally gives Flora the chance to pursue her own happiness and enjoy her life for once. It also one of the few supports with Corrin that  I actually like

2 minutes ago, Sage of the Mist said:

While it does limit their usefulness, I actually think some of the corrinsexual supports are some of Corrin's best romance options. In particular I am talking about Scarlet and Flora, since they are both very interesting characters that deserve more attention than they end up getting.  I especially like Corrin and Flora as a couple because it finally gives Flora the chance to pursue her own happiness and enjoy her life for once. It also one of the few supports with Corrin that  I actually like

Those are good points. As much as I wish Scarlet had a romantic support with Ryoma, I enjoyed her support with Corrin thoroughly.

I casually pair people if they have good chemistry in my first runs. In later runs I may do it to see more conversations or for the sake of the child (especially for Awakening) stat, class, and skillwise. In the case of Fates, I often pair units to allow one another access to the others' class.

Edited by Arcphoenix

7 hours ago, gjuptonv said:

unless it's tiki I usually just ignore the avatarsexuals. it's not that I don't like them or anything I just don't really care enough about them to bother. I mean flavia and basilio are cool but I just cannot pair them up with anyone. 

When I play I paid to optimise in battle utility, like sicking rinkah on ryoma, for that sweet def boost (screw the child characters)(also I wish fates/awakening parents each passed down specific skills (from a promoted class) regardless of what's equipped to avoid passing on skills the child already has if the parent isn't promoted. I like the way Chrom has to pass aether to any daughters, but rightful king to his sons (which annoys me because A sexism and B aether inigo would be really freaking swell) so he should always pass aether, robin always passes rally spectrum and so on so forth. Also it stops the player having an army of galeforce, lifetaker monsters. Also I always pair Corrin with a Corrinsexual because fates stupid Male to Female ratio makes it impossible to unlock all the paralogues in birthright or conquest (dunno bou rev) without a corrinsexual or banging your friends kid if your using M! Corrin (which most players would because they are mostly males in general and usually play their first run as themselves) In conclusion fates is really dumb in every way

It's, like... a combination of a lot of things.

I hate pairing characters if they have no chemistry.  Someone like Setsuna does not work with someone like Jakob.  Conversely, Takumi and Oboro (or Hinata and Oboro) work well as a pair as they have a foundation of trust forged from a shared past and generally get along with little drama.

But at the same time, some characters look better with certain hair colors.  Or they look worse.  Again referencing Setsuna, her hair color looks decent on characters like Hisame or Midori - whose clothes' palettes match somewhat well with that color - but it looks terrible on Caeldori, who wears whites and reds that just clash with Setsuna's greenish hair color.  However, Shiro with Oboro's hair color looks like bootleg Ike, and Caeldori with that same hair color looks like bootleg Lucina (and I'm a fan of the blue-red combo), and those are possibilities I just can't ignore.

And I also don't want a poorly optimized unit.  I don't want a Forrest with a strength focus, or a Shiro with a magic focus.  I don't care if my child units are the absolute best, but if they're pathetic in what their default class relies on, then they're useless to me.

In Genealogy, I want to typically go for pairs that actually have conversations together.  It's one reason Finn often ends up alone (sorry, Finn).  And I try to avoid incest, but that's like stepping through a minefield; if you're going for the pairs with more chemistry, you're probably going to get a pair between cousins.  Especially in Larcei's case if her father is Lex.  And having learned of Sylvia's age, I am kind of inclined to just avoid pairing her.

Lately, I've been trying to avoid getting into the habit of grinding parents in Awakening until they have stuff like Galeforce or Lifetaker to pass on to their kids.  It's less boring if not everyone has these ridiculous skills.  That being said, I also try to give them fathers who will diversify their class sets.  So no Gregor for Cordelia, no Frederick for Sully, and no Sully for Chrom.

On August 14, 2018 at 10:40 AM, gjuptonv said:

Is Forseti Arthur that powerful?

Y e s. 

Id like to add that with Jugdral pairings, i tend to go to which pairs whos kids can cheese the game. :V

Since I only played FE4:

I guess my thinking is more on the side of optimizing children. But most of the characters I pair with each other tend to have convos  between them as well (such as Midir x Edain, Levin x Erinys), the only exception being Dew x Brigid which I just like and it gives the children neat skills.

One of my problems when I try to pair units in this game is that I keep going for the same pairings as before most of the time. It just feels.....right, lol.

To be frank... I tend to not really have any plans for pairings, for the most part. Especially when it comes to Robin and Corrin, who just marry whoever I decide they should marry.

Edited by Shadow Mir

I choose based on story, supports, and chemistry and the like. And of course, age appropriateness and the current relationship between the characters. I won't try to pair siblings or characters that I feel seem more like siblings to each other or characters that seem like they have more of a parent/child type relationship.

FE4: Pairings based entirely on how the kids will turn.

FE13/14: Whatever happens, happens. Although if two characters have nice interactions and I end up liking them together, I'll pair them.