My Thoughts/Hopes for Three Houses

DMan64

Three Houses Questionare  

72 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want the story to be like in Three Houses?

• Focus on Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude in a single, linear story, with the avatar acting as moral support.
    • Choose between the three and see the conflict from their perspective
    • Focus on Byleth/Avatar's relationship with the three and his growth as an instructor.
    • Possibly be multi-generational, with children characters in the future dealing with the conflict.
    • The woman in the trailer is the real antagonist, though it isn't entirely apparent at first.
  2. 2. What gameplay change would you most want to see in Three Houses?

• No more pair-up.
    • More elements from the Tellius series.
    • Add a Conquest Mode and Birthright Mode when starting a new game.
    • Remove child characters, and come up with a new reward for marrying units, like unique skills and weapons given as blessings.
    • Find materials to craft unique weapons.
  3. 3. Who's your favorite character so far?

• Edelgard
    • Dimitri
    • Claude
    • Byleth
  4. 4. How excited are you for Three Houses?

• I'm getting the Limited Edition day one!
    • I'll get the game day one!
    • I'm reserved about it, though I'll still get it.
    • I don't have many thoughts on it, and I'll wait for more and for what people say about it.
    • Don't really plan on getting it.
  5. 5. What do you think would be the best way to promote the game?

• Have a Nintendo Direct focused on it.
    • Have a character like Edelgard in Smash as DLC.
    • Put the characters in Fire Emblem Heroes before the games released.

As long as I can change my Byleth's appearance and name(likely given since his name is never officially mentioned in other official sites outside the game but as hero/protagonist so that's already an easy giveaway, already has a nickname and probably more to go off of similar to the Persona MCs) and can still influence my starting stats/growths I'm content. "Praying for some more awesome anime boy hairstyles and addition to finally eye colors!".

Edited by Regal Edelgard Axe Master

@YingofDarkness Byleth definitely has me on reserve.  As someone who didn't really mind Robin that much, at least not until the last 3rd of Awakening, if he at least took that role I'd be fine.  But if he is going to be more like Corrin, especially Conquest or Revelation Corrin, I would probably tune out very fast.  If he somehow happens to not be an Avatar and more of a set anti-hero type character, that could be a very interesting way to look at a story (As someone in the middle of writing his own story, with one of the main characters being that of a nobleman from the enemy nation, it can allow for a lot of dramatic tension) but chances are he's going to be an avatar.

I've been trying to think of what Byleth's role in the story could possibly be based on all the information that we know and can interpret, but honestly, until we get more information, it's impossible to tell what in the world this guy's deal is.  Though for me, teacher seems like a perfect position for a supporting main character (like Robin being Chrom's tactician), so I'm hopeful that he will at least be more Robin(sans last third of Awakening), less Corrin.

EDIT @Regal Edelgard Axe Master  I'm not gonna deny that I don't mind Avatar's being in the game, they allow for different approaches for game play and if done right, can potentially help you feel more immersed in the experience (also in agreement with choosing eye color, and skin tone would also be cool, speaking as a man of multiple backgrounds).  The thing is, doing an avatar in a story correctly, especially if they are the main character, is very tricky to pull off, and that's where most of my concern lies in regards to the story. 

Case in point, Corrin.  A neat idea for an avatar, but the execution was so bad because the character had to be right no matter what, even if the decision made should be eating away at them through out the story.  If there were more moments of Corrin not being so naive, mary sue, and especially having more gray moments, then I wouldn't mind much.  Like imagine if depending on the route you chose, each respective side would talk down about the other family, which would cause Corrin to snap at those around him based upon what they were saying about the other families, I think it could've made Corrin a more interesting character that could stand on his own, while simultaneously mirroring the players regret on having to face off against characters they came to know and care about.  Mind you, Fates all around could've really used more moral gray in its writing, or better writing in general, but it would at least make Corrin not as bad as the character turned out.

Edited by DMan64

@DMan64 I fully agree with your opinions on the avatar, but I'd extend it to cover also marriage and child units...I think none of them are inherently bad for fire emblem, but the issue is IS can't be bothered to properly make them well written and integrated into the story, so it comes across as pandering.

Path of radiance could've worked even with an avatar, marriage, children, etc... as long as it made sense in the game's world and was well executed in general.

I don't know, I feel like I'm personally kinda done with the avatar thing for the time being, unless IS really has a bunch of super great wonderful ideas that will like change the way you think about avatar characters, I'd like to have more standard Fire Emblem stuff for the moment. Unless they make it like the Tactician from Fire Emblem 7 but... I don't think they'd ever do something as simple as that again. I just hope this game is taking the next step instead of relying on Awakening too much. Now I love me some Awakening, but I want this Switch game to pull a classic Switch move and show us what's next for Fire Emblem.

But if there is an avatar and they have marriage in it, I'd need me some gay marriage in there thanks. This time with more than one option, Niles is great but I lucked out with that one. Lastly, I really don't want kids in this. Awakening pulled it off because it was a part of the story but it was so bad in Fates that I didn't even recruit the kids after I married people. I really don't want this couple I worked so hard on getting together to not even be allowed to raise their kid. If I'm customizing this world then these characters I've grown to love better damn well spend some time with their children instead of being deadbeat parents!

Man I'm so happy I came on the forums again, it's building up the excitement for this new game.

I would love it if we could choose to be the instructor of any of the three protagonists and watch the story unfold from each perspective, without betraying anyone or changing everything like Fates did, but more like having three different storylines that overlap here and there, like in Shining Force III, but in one game.

If not, then I'd like for the game to have choices that affect the outcome of the story.

@PersonWithTime  Given the return of durability, and the more, traditional European style, as apposed to Fates style, I do think that they are going to take quite a number of steps back from Fates.  As for gay marriage, seeing as there reasoning for including the option in Fates was because of the growth of the fan base and the fact that their is more diversity in the fan base now days, I definitely see them including more options for it, especially seeing as IS hasn't shied away from same-sex characters before.  In regards to kids, again, at this point it's hard to tell how it will be, but seeing as this game seems to be stepping away from some of the controversial elements introduced in Fates, it may be possible they won't be included.

@Chopper...  I'd like to see choice matter quite a bit as well, again if they can pull it off well.  Perhaps depending on how you approach a map, fulfill certain options outside battle, dictate the course of conversations, or fulfilling one of a few victory conditions presented on a map.  Fates kind of hinted that there would be more choice then ever when they were first promoting it, but really the choice ultimately boiled down to what game do you want to play, so if they could go all the way with it, that could seriously help in the replay ability, again, if they can pull it off properly. 

Of course, we could simply follow the paths of the three heroes, and they could present different story perspectives and game play scenarios.  I could totally picture a map where you gain access to the other army for a large scale battle.  Not only would this happen in whatever routes share the map, this could be a nice way to reintroduce yellow units, controlling the other army indirectly.  Or perhaps you visit a map that another character was at earlier in the story, and have to deal with the after math of the other.  And each character could present a different game play style; ex) Claude = simple maps, simple objectives; Edelgard = simple maps, varied objectives or complex maps, simple objectives; Dimitri = complex maps, varied objectives.  Honestly, there are a lot of possibilities they could do.

As for marriage/romance of course it'll obviously be included but I hope it's more into the story than outside of it similar to (M)Robin x Lucina in that one scene in the Grima arc I hope for an extention of it that effects more story scenes but if this happens it'll mostly be exclusive to main characters like Edelgard plus Dimitri and Claude if Byleth has a female version. Also I like how in PoR depending on where you are in the story the supports slightly changes for a select few characters to reflect events that would be awesome! I also do think choice options will remain to an extent.

2 minutes ago, Regal Edelgard Axe Master said:

As for marriage/romance of course it'll obviously be included but I hope it's more into the story than outside of it similar to (M)Robin x Lucina in that one scene in the Grima arc I hope for an extention of it that effects more story scenes but if this happens it'll mostly be excluded to main characters like Edelgard plus Dimitri and Claude if Byleth has a female version. Also I like how in PoR depending on where you are in the story the supports slightly changes for a select few characters to reflect events that would be awesome! I also do think choice options will remain to an extent.

I think (well, more like hope) the romance stuff with just be well written and tie in with the story somehow/feel relevant to the game's events. If IS could do that, and maybe not force these elements into the game in an overly fan servicey way, then I'd be fine with that.

Also, Three Houses NEEDS full voice acting like Echoes!!! I couldn't ever go back to the grunts/other sounds during conversations in the other 3ds fire emblems.

Let's see.

1.) I kind of want a mix of several of the presented options. In particular, the first three. I want to see the development of the three main characters, and I want to see how they each personally view the conflict. Because I'm a fan of character development, positive or negative. And I also want to see Byleth grow as a mentor and what lessons the main characters take from them. I understand people's reservations about Avatars, but, if the game is going to present me with a permanent character that I have to play with, I want them to have some semblance of growth. Like, there's a way of allowing the supporting characters grow without their growth eclipsing the main characters'.

2.) I'm gonna go with more elements from the Tellius series, the Base Conversations being my number one. I agree that having some AI similarities, such as bosses trading items and stuff like that, but I'm not sure if the squad mechanic will work with something like that. I'll wait and see on that note.

3.) My favorite so far is Dimitri with Claude as a close second and Byleth in third. No offense to Edelgard, but I have a inkling of how she will be characterized, and I'm honestly more interested in the other three cast members that we know nothing about. Really hoping they make them somewhat nuanced with their internal struggles and beliefs, but I'm not asking for some character study. 

4.) I'm really excited but in a subdued fashion. When the game is released, I'm probably going to watch a walkthrough of it before buying it. Part of me wants the JP version to release before the US version so that I can watch gameplay with minimal spoilers via language barrier. But, I know others want to worldwide release, which is also fine. I'm going to buy a Switch when I decide to buy Three Houses, so there's a high chance Three Houses will be either a pre-order or a pre-download (if the Switch has those) for me.

4.) Have a Nintendo Direct. Better yet, release the game. I'd rather get a decent grasp of the characters and story from the source, rather than a mobile game. That's just my preference. 

8 hours ago, Dinar87 said:

I think (well, more like hope) the romance stuff with just be well written and tie in with the story somehow/feel relevant to the game's events. If IS could do that, and maybe not force these elements into the game in an overly fan servicey way, then I'd be fine with that.

Also, Three Houses NEEDS full voice acting like Echoes!!! I couldn't ever go back to the grunts/other sounds during conversations in the other 3ds fire emblems.

Yeah especially the complimenting quotes after defeating enemies I hope those stay!

12 hours ago, DMan64 said:

I could totally picture a map where you gain access to the other army for a large scale battle.  Not only would this happen in whatever routes share the map, this could be a nice way to reintroduce yellow units, controlling the other army indirectly.  Or perhaps you visit a map that another character was at earlier in the story, and have to deal with the after math of the other.  And each character could present a different game play style; ex) Claude = simple maps, simple objectives; Edelgard = simple maps, varied objectives or complex maps, simple objectives; Dimitri = complex maps, varied objectives.  Honestly, there are a lot of possibilities they could do.

Everything you said here sounds awesome to me, now I really I hope they do it, haha :P:

Just let me marry a strapping young gentleman and make Pair Up broken like Awakening again and I'm good to go!

But I really do hope we get a Direct~

For the first question, I voted for the last option, but I really would like the first one, too~ MU doesn't look like he'll be a main character so I'm fine with them as a moral support type that can still get that husbando!

@DMan64agreed more feeling of immersion the better. I like when things relate to story especially in marriage/romance I like feeling that I did pair with someone and it matters. I don't mind if some are on the side since not every non important character will get enough limelight which is understandable (that's what the hub interactions are there for) at least for the bit they get I feel a good amount of it would make me content!

I know a lot of people are sick of children and marriage but I would love if marriage was still included, and I would love to see another fire emblem game do what they did in Genealogy being multi generational, a game I never got to play, and something I never got to see done, but this most likely isn’t the right game for that, maybe one day we can get a remake of Genealogy, so I’ll be ok if their isn’t children though lowkey hoping there will still be marriage even if it’s limited, in the end the most important thing to me is a good challenge and strategy and lovable characters we can get to know and want to save and keep with us.

also I definitely want a direct on this game because it’s killing me, I followed fates as soon as the teaser for it came out and this game we’ve barely gotten any info, but also would lowkey love if they add another fire emblem character to smash but have a bit more variety in the weapons apartment.

Edited by Shadow0809

After getting a bit further in PoR, base conversations and some Elements of the forge from that game are things I definitely want to see.

When I forged my first weapon, I was so surprised to be offered to choose my weapon's color. 

I'd really, really like a way to repair customized weapons though. Perhaps making a copy and combining? Or just restoring uses at a fee even?

10 hours ago, Shadow0809 said:

I know a lot of people are sick of children and marriage but I would love if marriage was still included, and I would love to see another fire emblem game do what they did in Genealogy being multi generational, a game I never got to play, and something I never got to see done, but this most likely isn’t the right game for that, maybe one day we can get a remake of Genealogy, so I’ll be ok if their isn’t children though lowkey hoping there will still be marriage even if it’s limited, in the end the most important thing to me is a good challenge and strategy and lovable characters we can get to know and want to save and keep with us.

also I definitely want a direct on this game because it’s killing me, I followed fates as soon as the teaser for it came out and this game we’ve barely gotten any info, but also would lowkey love if they add another fire emblem character to smash but have a bit more variety in the weapons apartment.

Problem with the genealogy thing is MANY don't want their Waifubandos aged alot or killed off for the sake of this mechanic which isn't a mainstay. Safest bet now after Fates's reception of them is no 2nd gens for a couple games barring remakes that have it while expanding marriage/romance greatly with more better rewards With non-Avatar limitations to other pairs.

33 minutes ago, Regal Edelgard Axe Master said:

Problem with the genealogy thing is MANY don't want their Waifubandos aged alot or killed off for the sake of this mechanic which isn't a mainstay. Safest bet now after Fates's reception of them is no 2nd gens for a couple games barring remakes that have it while expanding marriage/romance greatly with more better rewards With non-Avatar limitations to other pairs.

I think the same.

Actually i  have been thinking recently of substitutes for the kids. My favorite is for all characters to have their own Prf weapon that they receive upon marrying their S-Rank as a gift. The special part would be that simce there's multiple candidates, each would give diffent bonus to the weapon.

Exemple: Hilda always receive a Prf bow named Rainbow upon S-ranking, but if her partner is A-kun, a myrmidon, the bow has crit like a Killer weapon, if it's the cleric B-chan it works like a blessed weapon and if she chooses the general C-san then it's a anti-armor bow. The ideal would be to these weapons to have infinite uses too, or at least until the partner dies, the becoming a memento with a few uses, say 10 or 15, left.

It's not perfect and would take lot's of consideration on how the classes interact to give bonuses, but i'm sure it's even  easier to do than kids, unless the apearance changed too i guess.

Edited by RexBolt

One thing I'd love is that even if support bonuses are limited like in the old games would be the ability to see any amount of convos in a single playthrough a la Fateswakening

26 minutes ago, RexBolt said:

I think the same.

Actually i  have been thinking recently of substitutes for the kids. My favorite is for all characters to have their own Prf weapon that they receive upon marrying their S-Rank as a gift. The special part would be that simce there's multiple candidates, each would give diffent bonus to the weapon.

Exemple: Hilda always receive a Prf bow named Rainbow upon S-ranking, but if her partner is A-kun, a myrmidon, the bow has crit like a Killer weapon, if it's the cleric B-chan it works like a blessed weapon and if she chooses the general C-san then it's a anti-armor bow. The ideal would be to these weapons to have infinite uses too, or at least until the partner dies, the becoming a memento with a few uses, say 10 or 15, left.

It's not perfect and would take lot's of consideration on how the classes interact to give bonuses, but i'm sure it's even  easier to do than kids, unless the apearance changed too i guess.

That'd be awesome exactly the things I can see happening! also an idea I had was from taking notes from the Persona series reaching S-Rank could give unique passive skills/abilities that are perma lock per pair that would be cool as well!

In regards to the incentives that can be given to have units marry,  I personally think they could do a variety of things; from unique weapons @RexBolt really like the idea you have for them, marriage bonuses to stats, unique skills that can be unlocked based on the pairing, sharing skills between units, and gaining access to the class or weapon of the partner.  

@Shadow0809  They can still do child units, again, if it's tied to the story, and this game had a few years of development, which should be more than enough time to properly implement them, if that's what they are going with (which likely isn't if Byleth is the avatar).  I do think that they are definitely going to take the feedback into account, seeing as that was one of the major complaints of Fates.  So while I personally think children have a 50/50 chance, marriage definitely isn't going away; IS knows that it's one of the major appeals of FE these days.  In regards to a Geneology remake, well, there's quite a few challenges that a remake would face, given the controversial and mature elements of the games story, unless they were fine with censoring some things or giving it an M rating, or at the very least push the boundaries of the T rating.

Otherwise, if a multi-generational story is to occur again anytime soon, it would prove challenging as @Regal Edelgard Axe Master  brought up the point that characters would likely be killed off or aged given some sort of time jump, which could turn people away; unless they were to do another time travel type of story like Awakening, which I wouldn't have a problem with, if they could make it interesting. 

Perhaps focus on the repercussions of changing history, turning a bad thing into something worse, like making something that was initially a civil conflict, into a world wide conflict, thus causing even more devastation in the world in the future, or similar to Awakening, making it a moot point as all it did was just create a different timeline, so that bad future still exists.  It could thus allow for a unique opportunity to travel to said future to end the conflict there, while simultaneously discovery whatever chain of events lead to that destruction in the first place, so you could go back to the present and end the conflict before it goes further.  Perhaps it could also make for a unique game play idea; where similar to Gaiden/Echoes, you control two armies, one in the present, and another in the future.  Depending on what you do in the present will affect the future in some way, and information you find in the future can be rallied back to the present to make whatever move is necessary for correcting history.  Thus, when you marry two units a head of time, you get unique units for that future timeline, as apposed to filler units, like in Geneology.

This was just me spit-balling a possible idea, so I didn't really have time to flesh it out, but I think it would be a nice solution to the problem.