Building low tier units

Loki Laufeyson

Building low tier units  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like building low tier guys?

• Yes! There's something amazing about my +10 Male Corrin blowing things up!
    • No. Its a waste of time and resources.
    • Only for meme stuff.
    • I like peanuts

16 hours ago, Humanoid said:

I should probably sacrifice my next Soren or Merric for the more useful pattern I guess, been doing a 4* merge for each but no rush on that. And hopefully I remember two switch up her skillset when required. Shame Blazing Wind is probably not so great at GC because you can't always target the one unit on the fort.

I wouldn't fret over which one you use, even if you leave Blazing Flame on her. I just give whichever skill suits the character stylistically and call it good enough. There are always going to be situations where one is better than another and you can't really prepare for that.

14 hours ago, Garlyle said:

@Johann Wow, you give him Desperation, and he can basicly do the same as a more expensive Brave Roy.

With Def that good, he doesn't need Desperation, and it would actually hurt his Galeforce activation. This is the setup I use for GC, and WoM+Galeforce is easily the best thing he can have. Often, my first approach involves Ursula attacking and killing someone, often getting countered once and taking enough damage to put her below 50% (she also has Fury). From there, Cain jumps in and crushes whoever is in the way, often killing two units or at least one and takes a hit at the fort. Having a dancer with WoM also helps Ursula in case she needs to adjust her position for Cain's sake.

I gave him Zanbato primarily because it looks cool, but also because it allows him to kill every cavalry unit without needing a special (which can be a problem against bulkier units like Reinhardt and Camus, or if there are defensive tiles in play). Compared to a Brave Roy with a similar sort of build, I'm effectively trading 5 Atk and 3 Res for 9 HP and 1 Def, while gaining cavalry effectiveness in exchange for the seal slot (which I can swap around still).

Edited by Johann

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

It would be more accurate to say "lower-tier" instead of "low-tier" as it truly is a relative term.

As I mentioned of Gamepedia's tier list, one of the things I like most about it is the fact that its lowest occupied tier is intentionally labeled "B-".

Mostly for the fact that the buff is just for that one unit. His usual comparison is against Marth, who has a weaker buff, but is more flexible.

That said, he's not really all that low, either. Gamepedia ranks him at A-. Sure, that's one tier into the lower half, but I wouldn't really consider that particularly low.

See? Finally a few people that get it. And with that in mind, the worst Corrin is, is lower worse than his competition (in a relative term). He's actually fairly strong and quick, and to limit his pros to only a support unit is limiting to what he can do. He's somewhat of an offensive powerhouse, with a mix of defenses.

I mean, I guess it depends on how one defines "low tier." The only units I can think of are Odin and Henry, and even then, they have their own strengths that make them usable in some way.

Speaking of M!Corrin, I have mine as a magic sponge cheerleader for Alfonse. I decided to use a +RES -SPD nature and slap DC+ QR3 on him because I wanted to be different. That super boon in RES evens up his defenses, and I love looking at it.

I also have a +DEF -RES Donnel that is also a magic sponge panic starter. He has Berkut's Lance because, again, I wanted to be different. Besides, that +7 RES if a foe initiates is nothing to sniff at.

And, lastly, I'm working on a Lon'qu for Miracle + Vantage + WoM shenanigans. Really don't know what I'm aiming for or if it'll work, but I don't really care.

i think the competition for the particular slots also have something to do with the tiers.

Want sword infantry? There's a shitload. Whales can have Ayra/Karla/etc all merged, but then f2p also get Fir/Soleil/Marth for the people's heroes type of thing. But in the case of someone like fucking Lonqu or Navarre or Lloyd, they're just kinda shit out of luck due to the lack of anything special.

armors are another story. they're all usable.

9 hours ago, Joe Cool said:

i think the competition for the particular slots also have something to do with the tiers.

Want sword infantry? There's a shitload. Whales can have Ayra/Karla/etc all merged, but then f2p also get Fir/Soleil/Marth for the people's heroes type of thing. But in the case of someone like fucking Lonqu or Navarre or Lloyd, they're just kinda shit out of luck due to the lack of anything special.

armors are another story. they're all usable.

My firesweep Navarre carried me through tier 19 for a while.

10 hours ago, Joe Cool said:

But in the case of someone like fucking Lonqu or Navarre or Lloyd, they're just kinda shit out of luck due to the lack of anything special

HEY

Lon'qu has high HP and speed and can be a discount Karel. Granted, Karel himself isn't particularly sought after, but he has a niche in the F2P pool for being a Panic Ploying, Infantry Pulsing, high speed meat shield.

But I do agree with your overall statement, as unfortunate as it is.

This thread reminds me that one day I want to build a Mathilda. However due to her stat-line I find it difficult, even worse if she gets a refine on day, I don't know if I have to do an overhaul of the potential build.

My current ivs at the moment  are either (+spd, -res) or (+atk,-hp) Ideally I wish to have a  +atk,+spd,+res and a -def bane, but beggars can't be choosers.

My best bets for a lance for her is the Berkut lance, slaying lance, or the harmonic lance.  Something to boost her already impressive resistance stat even further. refining the lance's speed or resistance I believe is a good option. When I comes to the a slot, there is a problem I want to have distant counter, but Hectors always evaded me. So the alternatives are fury, mirror strike, or mirror stance. My idea for the b slot is quick riposte. 

1 hour ago, Jingle Jangle said:

This thread reminds me that one day I want to build a Mathilda. However due to her stat-line I find it difficult, even worse if she gets a refine on day, I don't know if I have to do an overhaul of the potential build.

My current ivs at the moment  are either (+spd, -res) or (+atk,-hp) Ideally I wish to have a  +atk,+spd,+res and a -def bane, but beggars can't be choosers.

My best bets for a lance for her is the Berkut lance, slaying lance, or the harmonic lance.  Something to boost her already impressive resistance stat even further. refining the lance's speed or resistance I believe is a good option. When I comes to the a slot, there is a problem I want to have distant counter, but Hectors always evaded me. So the alternatives are fury, mirror strike, or mirror stance. My idea for the b slot is quick riposte. 

isn't mathilda just blue titania?

slaying+iceberg should let you nuke shit

build for faves eh.

Looking through my barracks, I don't have too many promoted units that are decidedly low-tier, but here's a couple:

Spoiler

XuxM0GR.jpg

I liked her decently in Echoes and I like her Heroes art, so I've wanted to use her since she came out. Earlier this year I got a pretty good IV (+spd -def) and decided to promote her. Since she's on a budget, I just built her to mainly kill horses. I'd prefer Fury on her as well, but Hinata's very rare for me and I have higher priority units. She really can't do much beyond horse killing, and I'm not willing to invest too many resources into her with merges and DC/Berkut's Lance to make her a good mage counter. If she gets that kind of love, though, I think she can be a pretty good unit.

Spoiler

CEPo29Q.jpg

I've always liked Selena, but I don't really care for her Heroes art for her default pose(the face looks off), so I put off trying to use her until recently. I was itching to build a new unit lately, so I decided to go ahead anyway after getting a +atk -hp one on the summer dancer banner. I could give her Steady Breath and Wo Dao, but I just went for a budget set since I don't plan to +10 her. She holds her own pretty well against the  common whale armor units, so she's been a fine AA pick.

I use Kagero, Beruka, Leon, and some others too, but I don't know if they're really considered low enough to fit the theme of this thread.

9 hours ago, Landmaster said:

I will fite you over my dads, m8!

You'd kind of have to considering they can't really fight for themselves.

8 hours ago, saisymbolic said:

HEY

Lon'qu has high HP and speed and can be a discount Karel. Granted, Karel himself isn't particularly sought after, but he has a niche in the F2P pool for being a Panic Ploying, Infantry Pulsing, high speed meat shield.

But I do agree with your overall statement, as unfortunate as it is.

Karel has Nameless Blade, which is one of the best swords currently available. Karla would actually prefer to have it over Vassal's Blade, but her stats are better enough to more than make up for the difference.