the mages from fe4 G1 all ended up having absurdly tragic lives.

Re: The weirdo.

mostly just an observation, but all the gen one mages from genealogy ended up some of the most fucked characters in the game.

Spoiler

to recap, azel follows sigurd to escape from the terrors of his half brother arvis, but in the end just gets fucking murdered by him. i'd say, the least fucked out of the mages, mostly because, nearly everyone dies at that point, only made more tragic by the fact that they are brothers. plus, in general, there wasn't much development of azel as a character, so not much to lose really.

then we get lewyn, who decided to run off from his kingdom by birthright, due to the disgust he felt at his uncles, then sees himself joining up with sigurd to fight against the corrupt nobles he so hates, ends up back home, only to see his homeland subjected to utter turmoil by his greedy uncles, sees his mother kidnapped and at risk of being murdered. 

but the REAL fun begins when we talk about gen 2 lewyn, who got his soul schwomped by a dragon, got puppeted around for 17 years and ended up personality deficient, removing the chance of living a meaningful life.

AND EVEN THEN, WE COME TO TAILTIU. i dont know how to spell her name without triggering someone, so im gonna go with that. anyways, im not sure how to put it into summary how fucked her life was, so heres a reddit post about tailtiu 

here it is, now feel sad for a while. the actual dialogue contains more development than this, but this is a pretty good summary, like 80% complete

so yeah. thats my """"""""""thesis statement""""""""""". not much more to say

edit: it might be that Kaga just really hates mages, or something like that, or maybe he's trying to invoke the mindset of witch-hunting that took place in the middle ages, by making the mages unlucky or something? i dunno. more an observation than anything

Edited by (s)ad touch

Sounds better than what happened to most of the melee people. All of them presumably died at Belhalla, barring Finn and Brigid of course (Fergus is apparently older than Diarmuid, so Beowolf did likely die there). Or maybe they petrified and are in an underground storehouse (thanks T776!).  

What is worse? To die tragically and possibly more slowly, or to die quickly but with less memorable drama?

The best group was the Staffers outside of Ethlyn- Lachesis lives for some time thereafter only to die or be stoned, Claud as of T776 is in the air as to whether he lived or died, and Edain lives through to the end of Gen 2, even though we never actually see her. This I guess would make sense, if there was any attempt to salvage anything from the catastrophe of Belhalla, I'd conceive of it being melees + powerful offense Holy Bloods (Lewyn and Brigid) fighting it out, with the more fragile units being the first to retreat.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Sounds better than what happened to most of the melee people.

really? tailtyu and lewyn? honestly i think that tailtiu is one of the most tragic characters in fire emblem EVER, and lewyn gets all my existential dread fired up, so i REALLY disagree with you on that one.

Edited by (s)ad touch

5 minutes ago, (s)ad touch said:

really? tailtyu and lewyn? honestly i think that tailtiu is one of the most tragic characters in fire emblem EVER, and lewyn gets all my existential dread fired up, so i REALLY disagree with you on that one.

Well again, it depends on your criteria.

Tailtiu did suffer more, but her death is much more tragic and dramatic than what Arden, Naoise, Alec, Dew, Beowolf, Jamke, Chulainn, Midir, and Ayra all experienced, which was likely being swiftly stabbed, burned, or chopped at Belhalla. Mundane, boring deaths all in all.

So, to address this aspect of what you said:

3 hours ago, (s)ad touch said:

edit: it might be that Kaga just really hates mages

I'm arguing that by giving Azelle, Tailtiu, and Lewyn such distinctive, dramatic endings, Kaga LOVES them. When one thinks Tailtiu, one inevitably pities her for death by broken heart and abuse, and Lewyn's death/possession is pivotal to the 2nd Gen's plot.

On the other hand, nobody thinks the same of Alec, because Alec died an ordinary war death, which makes him more forgettable as just another Belhalla statistic. 

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:
3 hours ago, (s)ad touch said:

edit: it might be that Kaga just really hates mages

I'm arguing that by giving Azelle, Tailtiu, and Lewyn such distinctive, dramatic endings, Kaga LOVES them. When one thinks Tailtiu, one inevitably pities her for death by broken heart and abuse, and Lewyn's death/possession is pivotal to the 2nd Gen's plot.

On the other hand, nobody thinks the same of Alec, because Alec died an ordinary war death, which makes him more forgettable as just another Belhalla statistic. 

that kaga hating mages was more a meme than anything, but well whatever

His ending aside Azelle's life doesn't strike me as particularly unpleasant. He's implied to have a pretty tight friendship with both Lex and Tailtiu and he was lucky enough to completely miss the life of his jerk dad.  His relation with Arvis seems troubled but reasonably loving and some notes from Kage tell us his mother was alive to care for the Velthomer bro's for some time. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

His ending aside Azelle's life doesn't strike me as particularly unpleasant.

its mostly just the fatalism of it that gets me, i.e. that he tried to escape from his nasty as hell brother, but in the end, it made his fate at the hands of him certain.

eh, its not as bad as the other 2

On 8/17/2018 at 10:11 PM, (s)ad touch said:

that kaga hating mages was more a meme than anything, but well whatever

I thought him hating axe users was a meme.

On 8/18/2018 at 2:22 AM, (s)ad touch said:

its mostly just the fatalism of it that gets me, i.e. that he tried to escape from his nasty as hell brother, but in the end, it made his fate at the hands of him certain.

eh, its not as bad as the other 2

Azel is the only sibling that love Arvis enough to not hate him.

I think this video accurately sums everything up.

All things considered, I think Lewyn had it the best. I say that because he was the only one that "survived" until the end. 

Tailtiu is confirmed dead, and Azel is a statue.

Sometimes I wish that the 3rd generation had been a thing, so that we could see Azel again, unstatueified.

• 2 weeks later...

Levin/Lewyn got killed by Manfroy. He's not even supposed to be around. 

Azel is not murdered by Alvis. What actually happened afterwards was rumors in which he was back in Velthomer or he got turned into a statue. Arvis did care about Azel and his welfare very much.