What type of illness or eating disorder does Ilyana have?

I tried to find one that could fit for what it's described in-game but she doesn't seem like hating herself because of her body shape or anything psychological in her, apart from her brain that keeps forgetting people who doesn't give her food in any way.

It could be that she can't get the nutrients of the incredible amounts of food that she eats?

Never gave it much thought actually but now I am. Maybe she just has a really good metabolism?

Alternatively...diabetes can mess with mental stuff and low blood sugar makes you really hungry. Type 2 diabetic here. She may have chronic low blood sugar. Is that a thing?

Edited by Dragoncat

I always just assumed she had a high metabolism and a VORACIOUS appetite 

5 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

She may have chronic low blood sugar. Is that a thing?

I “think” that’s a thing? If it is it might make some sense 

1 hour ago, Junkhead said:

Why would you suggest a wonderful girl like that has an illness... >:$

That doesn't make her less wonderful, though ;3

1 hour ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

I “think” that’s a thing? If it is it might make some sense 

It actually is and people without diabetes can have that, apparently :o
https://www.hormone.org/diseases-and-conditions/diabetes/non-diabetic-hypoglycemia

1 minute ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

That doesn't make her less wonderful, though ;3

It actually is and people without diabetes can have that, apparently :o
https://www.hormone.org/diseases-and-conditions/diabetes/non-diabetic-hypoglycemia

She is my precious gem and I will never not love her ;3

Then if I had to take a shot in th dark that’s probably what it is

She very obviously has an eating disorder. People, for a number of reasons, can eat and eat and never feel full.

She also might have a poor insulin response, and is thus isn't really getting the signal that she's actually full. She's just constantly releasing ghrelin and/or glucagon, and her hormones are telling her to constantly eat.

Edited by Slumber

I actually have a sort of similarity with her about feeling hungry all the time, but not as exaggerated as hers (because that would practically be super bad in real life circumstances) I do eat and eat and I'm not overweight or feel full at all.

Could be then poor insulin response, it seems the most logical reason :o

3 hours ago, Johann said:

An ambiguous one created by writers who lazily add random stuff as a sole character trait, explored/presented in meaningless ways

It's probably this. Tellius has some very well written characters and some very poorly written ones, it's not consistent. Same with the plot itself, some parts are good and others are terribad. Ilyana is an example of a poorly written character, she'd fit better in Awakening or Fates with her gimmick.

But, if one wanted to take her seriously, non diabetic hypoglycemia would work the best. There is the issue of the medieval world potentially not being medically advanced enough to diagnose it though. I guess we could argue "magic"?

It's called "lazy trait writing".  As in, her appetite is her defining trait.  It can't be cured, short of a remake of PoR that attempts to do more with her character.

Path of radiance isn't perfect sadly and there's some characters like her and makalov who're lazily written to the point where they'd be classed as "badly written fates characters" by a lot of people. 

Thankfully best waifu Jill IS well written and swoops in to save the day from bad writing!!
5092-620238511.jpg.da001925af95f3548f5b969f92db058a.jpg Admire her RADIANCE peasants!!!

55 minutes ago, Dinar87 said:

Path of radiance isn't perfect sadly and there's some characters like her and makalov who're lazily written to the point where they'd be classed as "badly written fates characters" by a lot of people. 

True, but the difference is that those characters are a minority in the Tellius series. The lack of quality in Ilyana and Makalov gets made up for by the relative complexity of the other cast members. In the newer games this is a bit more difficult. Fates attempts to have some balance, characters like Takumi, Saizo and Forrest easily make up for the likes of Peri and Setsuna but the later type of characters are more numerous in Fates than they are in Tellius. 

I think somebody once said she might have a tapeworm or something, but I don't know anything about this sort of thing to tell you.

What I do know is that it's got to be ridiculously severe nutrient depletion considering she can eat and eat and eat but never gain weight. Some people get that from an extremely fast metabolism alone, but they can at least feel full like a normal person. It's just that they tear through those nutrients inhumanly fast or something. I know somebody who's like that and coupled with an eating disorder (ie of the neophobia variety, I think is the term) it means that even though he can eat a lot of food it usually doesn't cover the whole set of food groups and just doesn't do that good of a job. Ilyana's not exactly picky though so I don't think that's it.

59 minutes ago, (s)ad touch said:

oi, i like makalov, thank you very much.

I'll say that Makalov is more justifiable than Ilyana. He is scum, but he is petty scum, and him being an irredeemable gambling drunken lowlife is in a way appreciable, since it makes the heroes out to be a less than a band of total moral paragons. A lowlife or two, like Rickard and Lifis, adds a little realistic contrast- for no army IRL is devoid of the bad apple or three, and bad apples aren't always the extremes of psychopathic murder and former assassin.

Ilyana doesn't contribute that. RD in some scenes tried to play down her hunger side, but it wasn't enough. The developers also failed to use an easy way of giving her a nice character- she travels with the convoy quartet, have her say they're like family to her- Muston and Aimee like mom and dad, Jorge and Daniel like brothers. It's strange how she never brings them up in supports, nor ever has a Base Conversation with them.

Not sure what illness Ilyana has. But it might be genetics, Kirby Branded and all.

2 hours ago, Maritisa said:

I think somebody once said she might have a tapeworm or something, but I don't know anything about this sort of thing to tell you.

If it was a tapeworm, she'd be dead in a few of months since tapeworms are parasites. Ilyana definitely does get the nutrients she needs but why she's constantly eating is never explained, other than a personality trait. Poor insulin response might be the best explanation then.

I always headcannoned that she is type one diabetic like myself and that her magic keeps her alive.  Extremely high blood sugar for a really long time causes ketones which make you skinny but if allowed to run wild can cause major problems.  Ilyana being hungry all the time does not mean she has low blood sugar, when I have low blood sugar I rarely want to eat anything and have to force myself to eat so I don't die and that is the case with most type ones.  She has a lot of the signs of someone with type one, like hunger, being skinny and feeling faint at times.

10 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Not sure what illness Ilyana has. But it might be genetics, Kirby Branded and all.

11 hours ago, Maritisa said:

I actually saw those on GameFAQs and were pretty hilarious X3

• 1 month later...