Choose Your Legends 2018 (Arrival of the Brave): August 21 ~

Coolmanio

Hmm... Is it just me, or do those four gems in the middle of Veronica's staff head look like they're tinted the four colors in FEH? Starting from the upper left and going clockwise: red, blue, colorless/clear/white/grey, green.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, mampfoid said:

Oh cool, I've never gotten a +SPD Cordelia (without -ATK), that's a perfect base. 

I'm going to merge her up to +9(currently +7) and just wait for her weapon refinement since she's not part of my arena team so there's no rush. Once her weapon refinement drops, I'll decide if I want to go with +Atk or +Spd as the base.

2 hours ago, mampfoid said:

On the other hand: I want merges for Roy, I still want my first Lyn and Celica is the only unit with DB4 so far (perhaps I would merge her too). Not a bad banner at all. 

Now that I think about it, it's not a bad banner for me either. My Lyn can use a better nature(currently +Def/-Spd), Roy can use some merges and Celica will be a new addition. 

1 hour ago, Hilda said:

Is noone adressing the Elefant in the room existing? Special Fighter 3? Guard and -Blade effect tucked into one with just a HP threshold of 50%? Ephraim will be scary with this skill as long as he has buffs on

That skill is beyond broken on Fast Armorers or on Armorers that can prevent doubles and double in Return, or have high mixed bulk. Some units rely on specials to kill Armorers. I mean just tuck in Amelias and Zelgius with Goad Armor all over the place and good night bitches!

No one's mentioning it because it's only good on a literal handful of units in the game.

The player has a limit of only one copy of the Quick Riposte Sacred Seal, which means on an armor team, you can at best outfit one slow armor with the Special Fighter + Quick Riposte combination. Anyone else running Special Fighter either needs to be one of Ephraim, Brave Hector, or regular Hector, or fast enough to consistently double naturally, which is increasingly iffy with the growing Spd creep.

Amelia probably has the best argument for it, having access to +3 Spd from a refine and being matched against blue and green units that aren't typically fast.

Goad Armor is also highly unreliable on player phase (and difficult to get), but at least Special Fighter actually gives a good reason to run Goad Armor for enemy-phase builds. However, you probably won't see this strategy used on Arena defense teams much because the AI is terrible at keeping its units within buff range.

Speaking of Veronica... this is the first time we get a Legendary Staff in a playable unit. But seeing her artwork... Is this the first time the special artwork is based on the damage artwork? Normally the special art is based on the attack art...

Nice catch. I don't know of any others like that off the top of my head, but Ogma comes to mind because his special artwork is so different from his other artwork. Not sure if other units have this difference, too, or if their damaged artwork is always based off of another one.

Edit: Looks like all the characters Yamada Akihiro did the art for have four unique poses, actually.

Edited by Mercakete

A bit off topic, but doesn anyone know good counters to Brave Hector and. Raver Ephraim? I’m trying to do the Chain Challenge for Paralogues 23&24 and those two are always giving me trouble. Not even W!Tharja and Male Grima can tank this duo.

1 hour ago, Water Mage said:

A bit off topic, but doesn anyone know good counters to Brave Hector and. Raver Ephraim? I’m trying to do the Chain Challenge for Paralogues 23&24 and those two are always giving me trouble. Not even W!Tharja and Male Grima can tank this duo.

Distract Raver Ephraim with a lightswitch.

Actually, when I fought their paralogue maps, I found it helpful to sneak up on one of them and blast one of them to 0 with magic before either moved. Unfortunately, this duo still gave me trouble in Lunatic mode, so I wasn't able to complete the quest for the final map. 'Course, being dedicatedly f2p, I have limited resources to pull on, so maybe someone else could give you a less obvious answer.

Got Ephraim from the free and Hector on my second or third summoning. Not sure if I'll try for Veronica or Celica. I do still want the new Micaiah and I also want to see what the LH is. Well, at least I got two characters I wanted today--happy birthday to me. :P:

24 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Speaking of Veronica... this is the first time we get a Legendary Staff in a playable unit. But seeing her artwork... Is this the first time the special artwork is based on the damage artwork? Normally the special art is based on the attack art...

Actually, this is the first time the damaged artwork is not a unique pose (and I'd rather say that the damaged artwork is based on the Special artwork and not the other way around).

18 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

Edit: Looks like all the characters Yamada Akihiro did the art for have four unique poses, actually.

All of Yamada Akihiro's characters (Gunter, Jagen, Ogma, Zephiel) and Hoshino Lily's characters (Rebecca) have four unique poses.

39 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

In the first 3 maps (Festival in Hoshido), I used my infantry team. The last 3 (Brave Heroes), I used my cavalry team: Legendary Ephraim, Ares, Green Olwen and Brave Veronica.

A dazzling staff unit is the best counter to Brave Hector and Brave Ephraim. I used Veronica because she can attack without being countered, debuff the target and buff Green Olwen, so she can use her Blade Tome with +16 damage. Legendary Ephraim was used to defeat Celica, because he can double her thanks to his weapon and can resist to her attack because he is a blue unit with high def. I completed Infernal Paralogue 23 & 24 in my first try.

Edited by Diovani Bressan

58 minutes ago, tobuShogi said:

I'm going to merge her up to +9(currently +7) and just wait for her weapon refinement since she's not part of my arena team so there's no rush. Once her weapon refinement drops, I'll decide if I want to go with +Atk or +Spd as the base.

Sounds like a good plan for Cordelia. I was a little too impatient with mine, my original plan was to keep 1 GF fodder in reserve. 

52 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

Distract Raver Ephraim with a lightswitch.

Actually, when I fought their paralogue maps, I found it helpful to sneak up on one of them and blast one of them to 0 with magic before either moved. Unfortunately, this duo still gave me trouble in Lunatic mode, so I wasn't able to complete the quest for the final map. 'Course, being dedicatedly f2p, I have limited resources to pull on, so maybe someone else could give you a less obvious answer.

24 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

In the first 3 maps (Festival in Hoshido), I used my infantry team. The last 3 (Brave Heroes), I used my cavalry team: Legendary Ephraim, Ares, Green Olwen and Brave Veronica.

A dazzling staff unit is the best counter to Brave Hector and Brave Ephraim. I used Veronica because she can attack without being countered, debuff the target and buff Green Olwen, so she can use her Blade Tome with +16 damage. Legendary Ephraim was used to defeat Celica, because he can double her thanks to his weapon and can resist to her attack because he is a blue unit with high def. I completed Infernal Paralogue 23 & 24 in my first try.

Thanks for the advice! It does seem like Dazzling Pain might be the best strategy for those two. Perhaps putting Armor against Armor was a bad idea.

I was incredibly lucky this time around. What I got in 80 orbs was:

• Morgan (F) (+RES -HP)
  • Minerva (+DEF -RES)
  • Ephraim (Brave) (Neutral)
  • Hector (Brave) (Neutral)

Hector was from the free selection, and I pulled him after pulling Ephraim. But, I guess Ephraim could telepathically sense that I was going to go for either him or Hector, so he decided to throw me a bone and come home to where he and Hector both belonged. I thought about going back in with my remaining orbs to get merges or Veronica, but I'm gonna wait untl September to see the new heroes announced before deciding. Or not go back at all, to be honest.

On a side note, this summoning session was extremely good for me, because I got literally less than 15 red orbs in total the 4 summoning circles I pulled.

1 hour ago, Mercakete said:

Hmm... Is it just me, or do those four gems in the middle of Veronica's staff head look like they're tinted the four colors in FEH? Starting from the upper left and going clockwise: red, blue, colorless/clear/white/grey, green.

Makes sense, considering she's arguably the game's mascot

5 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Veronica should had a different title... Brave Lucina is the original "Brave Princess"

They're different in Japanese because Japanese has different words for "princess" depending on the title of the ruler.

Lucina's "princess" is 王女 (oujo) where a king is 王 (ou). The Japanese word that was localized as "Exalt" is 聖王 (seiou), "holy king" or "saint king".

Veronica's "princess" is 皇女 (koujo/oujo) where an emperor is 皇帝 (koutei).

I believe the closest word in English for the daughter of an emperor is "imperial princess", which would be too long to fit as a title of "Brave Imperial Princess".

Besides, I'm pretty sure Alfonse and Sharena had the same titles as Xander and Camilla did in English for the spring banners: spring prince and spring princess.

4 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Besides, I'm pretty sure Alfonse and Sharena had the same titles as Xander and Camilla did in English for the spring banners: spring prince and spring princess.

Yeah, they do. Spring Chrom and Spring Lucina are also both "Spring Exalt".

3 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

Yeah, they do. Spring Chrom and Spring Lucina are also both "Spring Exalt".

Ah, totally did not realize Chrom and Lucina shared the same title as well. So I guess it's nothing new at all.

Just clicked on Veronica on the starting screen, and she said:

"Is the Veronica of this world anything like me? I must meet her."

This is so awesome.

Edited by Garlyle

13 minutes ago, Clogon said:

I can't seem to find a clear explanation on how Special Fighter works. Is it like a dual phase Breath? Does it also prevent the opponent from gaining charges when they are attacked just like Guard?

From what I can understand, yes, it's a mix of Guard and Breath. 

"At start of combat, if unit's HP ≥ 50%, grants Special cooldown charge +1 to unit and inflicts Special cooldown charge - 1 on foe per attack. (Only highest value applied. Does not stack.)"

So, it doesn't matter who initiates combat from what I can tell from the description. What only matters is if the unit who has the skill has HP equal to or above 50%. And, then there's "per attack," which I'm assuming means the penalty and boon will apply no matter who attacks however many times.

So, as long as Ephraim has 50% or more of his HP, his enemy's cooldown charge will go up by 1 and his will go down by 1 per each attack made, regardless of who initiates combat.

I think that's how it goes, at least.

32 minutes ago, Clogon said:

I can't seem to find a clear explanation on how Special Fighter works. Is it like a dual phase Breath? Does it also prevent the opponent from gaining charges when they are attacked just like Guard?

4 minutes ago, saisymbolic said:

From what I can understand, yes, it's a mix of Guard and Breath. 

"At start of combat, if unit's HP ≥ 50%, grants Special cooldown charge +1 to unit and inflicts Special cooldown charge - 1 on foe per attack. (Only highest value applied. Does not stack.)"

So, it doesn't matter who initiates combat from what I can tell from the description. What only matters is if the unit who has the skill has HP equal to or above 50%. And, then there's "per attack," which I'm assuming means the penalty and boon will apply no matter who attacks however many times.

So, as long as Ephraim has 50% or more of his HP, his enemy's cooldown charge will go up by 1 and his will go down by 1 per each attack made, regardless of who initiates combat.

I think that's how it goes, at least.

It's Guard 6 + Bold Fighter 2 + Vengeful Fighter 3 minus the guaranteed follow-ups from Bold Fighter and Vengeful Fighter.

It reduces the opponent's Special charge rate on both your own and the opponent's hits and increases your own Special charge rate only on your own attacks. It doesn't matter who initiates combat.

7 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

It's Guard 6 + Bold Fighter 2 + Vengeful Fighter 3 minus the guaranteed follow-ups from Bold Fighter and Vengeful Fighter.

It reduces the opponent's Special charge rate on both your own and the opponent's hits and increases your own Special charge rate only on your own attacks. It doesn't matter who initiates combat.

Oh nice. I knew my explanation was probably wrong somewhere. It's good to know the particulars.