Choose Your Legends 2018 (Arrival of the Brave): August 21 ~

Coolmanio

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:

@Ice Dragon Just checked and you get 2 cooldown reduction on enemy attacks as well, so it is breath + guard.

Oh, fun. It's just a blanket +1 Special charge rate for you and a blanket -1 Special charge rate for your opponent? That's nice.

31 minutes ago, Tenzen12 said:

Got pity broken by Brave Roy. I didn't see that coming. 

Got pity broken by Maribelle myself. I am happy to have a second copy of her though. I will keep pulling until I get a second 5* and stop. If I do not get Veronica, I will just pull her free neutral version instead.

6 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Oh, fun. It's just a blanket +1 Special charge rate for you and a blanket -1 Special charge rate for your opponent? That's nice.

Yup. As you said, by itself, it's good but not amazing, but the degree to which Garm and SF synergize is quite impressive.

Anyway impressions/unsubstantiated theory-crafting:

Hector - If he sticks with Maltet, he can run HB seal for a pretty reliable 1-round ignis on both phases with an impressive statline of 48/53(56)/19/43(47)/32(35) on EP, depending on boon. Speed seems like an easy dump stat for him (assumed it in both sets of numbers). Even as good as that is though, I feel like he'd really like BL+. That gives him the obscene statline of 53/51(54)/19/43(47)/43 on EP depending on whether he takes +atk or +def. Still, funnily enough, maybe not better than LA Hector or even vanilla BA Hector (I'd have to do actual calcs).

Ephraim - Were it not for how stupid Berkut's Lance is, I'd honestly be tempted to say he's better than Hector. Garm is basically the pursuit ring with an arguably better threshold (not as guaranteed, but can be applicable at literally any point in battle even without healing), and in conjunction gives him more or less the equivalent of bold fighter, vengeful fighter, dual-phase breath minus the stat boost, and guard all while leaving his A slot open for DC and seal slot open for something else. It seems like his two biggest flaws are that aether is still a 3 action activation, so he needs to choose between longer wait, damage increase (not that 57 neutral attack needs that much help), or self-sustaining, and his IVs. Res is the super boon which isn't bad since that gives him a defensive line of 37/30 if he opts for it, but he might prefer attack or def too. More importantly speed is a super bane meaning he needs to drop all the way down to 23 speed or sack health and have 43, which is actually getting toward being middle of the road. Still, he'll be scary as hell to fight. But again, arguably not better than LA and BA vanilla Hector because BA is that stupid. Also wrath Ayra and Karla will still ruin his life.

Celica - Still trying to figure her out. Double Lion and DB4 are fantastic, but she needs to rely on specials or a healer since she doesn't have renewal as an option. I almost feel like she'd like a slaying edge so she can run Slaying Edge+ spd/Aether/DB4/Double Lion/Flashing Blade to brave kill someone and charge aether, then follow with an aether kill and heal to repeat the process. QB and RS are similar with higher attack, but not as reliable on the charge section since she 1) has to be in range, and 2) the cycle gets out of sync halfway through the second iteration.

Veronica - That support skill is amazing, and ironically, she might be both the least unique and best because from my experience (limited to Rival Domains), wrazzle dazzle is just that good. Very good stats and prebuild kit, but Mariabelle, Elise, and even Priscilla can do similar, just not quite as well. Haven't gotten her, so I can't speak as much on her. That said, I would like to get her, but I won't be heartbroken if I don't.

Edited by bottlegnomes

I've been reading the last few pages; is there a consensus on who the best of the bunch is/ are?

I'm not fond of Armor Units but find the Brave men's kits interesting (and I could always put Armored Boots and Aether on Ephraim for a mixed team). Celica looks deadly and I don't have Alm, but I have so many infantry swords already, which leaves Veronica. Legendary Razzle Dazzle sounds powerful but I'm wondering how useful she'll be in the long run (I already have a Razzle Dazzle Elise - who is really good - and Priscilla - who isn't as good).

Oh well, we have three weeks to decide to pull on this banner if we haven't already, so I'm not too fussed right now. I'd like to see who the new Legendary Hero is first.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by DefyingFates

18 hours ago, SilvertheShadow said:

I just want to say that Hector and Ephraim are probably wearing some of the ugliest greens I’ve ever seen. 

They probably took fashion advice from PoR Geoffrey and Oscar (both Tellius games):

Spoiler

Geoffrey.jpgoscar_en.png

Except Ephraim's green is even lighter, and Oscar's armor is less shiny, plentiful, and ornate.

Ephraim's father Fado wore armor of a totally different green, except not very pretty either.

Fado.jpg

14 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Does anyone think Garn Ephraim might be holding Duessel  back in the future since he's wielding the axe that Duessel likely would have gotten. If Eirika could have killed Knoll to steal his tome then her twin might have killed poor Duessel for his axe. 

I have the same reservations. However, Raven got Basilkos, and then did Linus, so Duessel and Knoll might still be able to get Grado's Sacred Twins. More of an issue is that Linus might have some appeal, while a devoted, but sullen scholar and an old general and mentor might not have so much.

When they make these decisions, it's the character first, and the weapon follows. This had to be the case with Brave Ephraim, and it was probably so with Gleipnirika. Knoll was not in the running, because they picked Eirika, and only afterwards decided on Gleipnir as her weapon in all likelihood.

5 hours ago, Tenzen12 said:

Got pity broken by Brave Roy. I didn't see that coming. 

Same, I spent 115 orbs on my second account (6 full circles) only to get a Brave Roy as the third-last pull and absolutely nothing else. +Res -Spd to boot. I think that's a sign for me to abandon this banner on my main account (on which I've only spent 15 orbs) and just claim my freebie. On the other hand, the legendary banner this month is likely to be fairly underwhelming for me, based on the analysis in the August Expectations thread. Not sure I can hold out 40 days for the September one without spending major orbs...

Even without the crappy luck I was probably leaning towards not summoning again anyway. No matter how good an armour is, I still likely won't use them outside AA, so the practicality just isn't there. Neither do I really use any of my good infantry swords as it is, other than perhaps the +8 Marthed Mask I completed this week.

One thing I'm asking myself though is that if I claim the free Hector as planned, I would end up with him, Hardin, and a DC Res/Spd Effie I've had before either of the other two. Given that I have no intention of merging Effie, and that I have a 5* Atk/Spd one who is unbuilt, I'm starting to seriously consider re-foddering DC from her onto someone else.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I have the same reservations. However, Raven got Basilkos, and then did Linus, so Duessel and Knoll might still be able to get Grado's Sacred Twins. More of an issue is that Linus might have some appeal, while a devoted, but sullen scholar and an old general and mentor might not have so much.

When they make these decisions, it's the character first, and the weapon follows. This had to be the case with Brave Ephraim, and it was probably so with Gleipnirika. Knoll was not in the running, because they picked Eirika, and only afterwards decided on Gleipnir as her weapon in all likelihood.

One major thing Duessel has over Knoll is his class. If and when IS want to add another axe cavalry, there are fairly few options so Duessel ends up with a decent chance just because of the rarity of his type. Competition to be a red infantry mage, on the other hand...

3 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

I've been reading the last few pages; is there a consensus on who the best of the bunch is/ are?

I'm not fond of Armor Units but find the Brave men's kits interesting (and I could always put Armored Boots and Aether on Ephraim for a mixed team). Celica looks deadly and I don't have Alm, but I have so many infantry swords already, which leaves Veronica. Legendary Razzle Dazzle sounds powerful but I'm wondering how useful she'll be in the long run (I already have a Razzle Dazzle Elise - who is really good - and Priscilla - who isn't as good).

Oh well, we have three weeks to decide to pull on this banner if we haven't already, so I'm not too fussed right now. I'd like to see who the new Legendary Hero is first.

Thanks in advance!

Honestly I think Veronica is the best of the bunch.  I managed to pull her and she has become my favorite healer in heroes by far.  I chose Hector as my freebie just so I could have one version of him and he is good, but Veronica for me anyway is the best.  I am trying to pull Ephraim, but there are other good green armors so he is not the top of the list.  Poor Celica has so many units wanting her spot that she is only really good for people who like her and want to use her because of that or for people wanting death blow 4 on someone else (I am not looking forward to that in arena).  Honestly I think you should just pick your favorite unit even if they aren't the best of the bunch for your free pick since in the end you are going to use units you like for most things anyway.

I have 3 of the 4, after my pulling and free unit grab (darling Veronica).  Yes Hector is amazingly powerful likely top tier dual phase unit, Brave Celica is fun with double lion such explosive offense who might be up there with Carla and Ayra.  However it is Veronica who for me personally the most meaningful addition to barracks and fun to use.  My first mounted healer 5 star, razzle dazzle.  I also love the Sothe/M Morgan/Rogue dagger type debuff enemy team and buff your team effect a lot in general.  She is glorious.  Yeah I know arena doesn't care, but as far as fun goes she is too the roof.

Art wise, Celica is my favorite.  That Hidari, man can he draw a pretty face.  I also really like the nostalgic old school outfit and look, actually much more fitting for traversing deserts, swamps and such than the pristine outfit she wears in Echoes.  

Veronica looks nice, but her head looks too big for the body.  Her voice is a bit snootier than I thought it should be.  I always thought she would like Maho from Stein Gate, similar in that they look like loli but really aren't.  

Hector looks fantastic, but when does he not?  Even his original version has fantastic art.  His lines as usual are amusing and awesome, how can you not love the guy?

Ephraim I don't have, but he looks good too.  

2 hours ago, EricaofRenais said:

Poor Celica has so many units wanting her spot that she is only really good for people who like her and want to use her because of that or for people wanting death blow 4 on someone else (I am not looking forward to that in arena).

I think you can compare her role on this banner to that of BH!Roy of the first CYL banner. He didn't change the meta like Lyn or Ike (or Ikes Breath skill) and even if he was the strongest red cav then, we already had a very good free option (Xander) and powercreep arrived shortly after (in Sigurd & Siegbert and later in Reinhardt, Ares & Chrom). So while nobody (or few) needed him for strength or a niche to fill in the roster, he was fun to play out of the box. 

Same goes for Celica, while there are plenty units that can fill her role in a team, her set is ready for Galeforce shenanigans. I don't know if it's by coincidence, but Roy and Celica were the only units with Galeforce added since launch. 

Warning: As a GF fan, my opinion may be biased. 

2 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

I think you can compare her role on this banner to that of BH!Roy of the first CYL banner. He didn't change the meta like Lyn or Ike (or Ikes Breath skill) and even if he was the strongest red cav then, we already had a very good free option (Xander) and powercreep arrived shortly after (in Sigurd & Siegbert and later in Reinhardt, Ares & Chrom). So while nobody (or few) needed him for strength or a niche to fill in the roster, he was fun to play out of the box. 

Same goes for Celica, while there are plenty units that can fill her role in a team, her set is ready for Galeforce shenanigans. I don't know if it's by coincidence, but Roy and Celica were the only units with Galeforce added since launch. 

Warning: As a GF fan, my opinion may be biased. 

Galeforce is one of the most fun things to work with.  I have galeforce Cordelia, galeforce Raven, for the longest time galeforce Lyn (she wasn't very good at it).  However it is such an amazing feeling to destroy an opponent, then refresh yourself with GF and destroy another.  Then the dirty stuff with a dancer, or dancers...god.  

Celica is the brave Roy, Veronica is the Brave Lyn. 

Used up all my saved orbs plus the new ones from today (about 200 total), and ended up with Hector, Ephraim and Veronica, so I went with Celica as the free unit after that. Pretty satisfied that I ended up with all four without whaling. Also got a pity breaker Nanna early on, so she was more of a bonus.

Funny is that Hector is +Atk/-Res, while Ephraim is +Spd/-Atk, which are as extreme as you can get for IVs. Veronica is +Hp/-Atk, but she's mostly support so I'm cool with that. Nanna is neutral.

3 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

Celica is the brave Roy, Veronica is the Brave Lyn. 

While that fits on many levels, I wouldn't agree that Veronica will have the same impact. She is very strong and got new skills (and looks cool), but she isn't as different from other Cav healers as Lyn was unique then. 

6 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

Galeforce is one of the most fun things to work with.  I have galeforce Cordelia, galeforce Raven, for the longest time galeforce Lyn (she wasn't very good at it).  However it is such an amazing feeling to destroy an opponent, then refresh yourself with GF and destroy another.  Then the dirty stuff with a dancer, or dancers...god.  

Full agreement. Aside from Cordelia, Roy and Celica (no Lyn yet), I have built Cherche, BB!Marth, Elincia and Oscar to proc GF as fast as possible to clear Infernal maps in One Turn.

(Attention, shameless self-advertising ahead)

Check out some of my GF shenanigans:

Spoiler

Infernal One Turn Clears:

LHB - Robin: Fell Vessel

Discussion Link - Video Link

LHB - Lyn: Lady of the Wind

LHB - Ryoma: Surpreme Samurai

LHB - Hector: Marquess of Ostia

LHB - Lucina: Glorious Archer

GHB - Narcian: Wyvern General

GHB - Robin: Mystery Tactican

GHB - Ursula: Blue Crow

GHB - Michalis: Ambitious King

GHB - Navarre: Scarlet Sword

GHB - Zephiel: The Liberator

GHB - Xander: Paragon Knight

GHB - Lloyd: White Wolf

GHB - Camus: Sable Knight

GHB - Legion: Masked Maniac

GHB - Clarisse: Sniper in the Dark

GHB - Berkut: Prideful Prince

GHB - Valter: Dark Moonstone

GHB - Arvis: Emperor of Flame

GHB - Oliver: Admirer of Beauty

GHB - Lyon: Shadow Prince

GHB - Takumi: Empty Vessel

GHB - Saias: Bishop of Flame

GHB - Kana: Dragon Spawn

GHB - Julius: Scion of Darkness

GHB - Linus: Mad Dog

GHB - Walhart: The Conqueror

BHB - Alm & Celica

Waiting for Rerun

BHB - Cecilia & Lilina

Waiting for Rerun

BHB - Ephraim & Eirika

Waiting for Rerun

BHB - Ninian & Hawkeye

Waiting for Rerun

BHB - Minerva & Maria

BHB - Takumi & Hinoka

BHB - Amelia & Tana

BHB - Raven & Lucius

BHB - Corrin & Azura

BHB - Chrom & Lissa

BHB - Tiki & Nowi

BHB - Seliph & Julia

BHB - Matthew & Hector

Discussion Link - Video Link, Alternate Video Link

BHB - Leo & Elise

BHB - Micaiah & Sothe

I want to build a heavily-merged Galeforce Oscar but he never turns up for me. Or rather, he never turns up on my main account. My second account has a dozen copies of him. And also of Lilina. Goddammit.

No suitable Red/Green horse candidates for me at the moment (Roy+1 does the job for now). Cain is too rare and WoM too desirable to spare. Titania doesn't have the statline (unless Flashing Blade is ever given to horses). Anyone else simply doesn't have the availability.

17 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

I want to build a heavily-merged Galeforce Oscar but he never turns up for me. Or rather, he never turns up on my main account. My second account has a dozen copies of him. And also of Lilina. Goddammit.

Oscar is cool and works great with GF, but if you have trouble getting him, Peri has got nearly the same offensive stats (Peri missing 1 SPD). 

19 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

No suitable Red/Green horse candidates for me at the moment (Roy+1 does the job for now). Cain is too rare and WoM too desirable to spare. Titania doesn't have the statline (unless Flashing Blade is ever given to horses). Anyone else simply doesn't have the availability.

I always wanted to make Alfonse my GF green cav, but never got him. BB!Marth works pretty good so far: 

Spoiler

fherDbL.png

He got also Slaying lance and LnD. 

Merges are not necessary to have fun with that kit, I merge only my mains (Cordelia, Cherche & Roy). 

I finally made up my mind and picked free Ephraim. I feel like yesterday summoning was lucky enough, and I'm going to stop. I only didn't get Celica, the IVs I had are bottomline, but that's ok.

Legendary banner and another new heroes banner is coming up, and there's a possibility to get more Genealogy characters. I need to save up free orbs, so I have to spend less money. (however if it's Genealogy, spending money is a good thing)

15 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

Oscar is cool and works great with GF, but if you have trouble getting him, Peri has got nearly the same offensive stats (Peri missing 1 SPD). 

I always wanted to make Alfonse my GF green cav, but never got him. BB!Marth works pretty good so far: 

Hide contents

fherDbL.png

He got also Slaying lance and LnD. 

Merges are not necessary to have fun with that kit, I merge only my mains (Cordelia, Cherche & Roy). 

I like Oscar and don't like Peri though, so it's a rare case of favouritism on my part. Oscar, after all, is just guy Palla. And I do have a perfect +Spd -Res Oscar that I pulled as part of a hat-trick when he was introduced, it's just that he's just an AA counter for now until I feel I have enough copies to make a big investment in. The main reason for building him would be to have a counterpart to Johann's Cain in GC, as that's the only place I really feel the need for Galeforce.

And yeah, I was after Alfonse too but failed to land him. Would prefer him to Marth, whose art I find way too soft. Still I'd prefer someone mergeable though, and such a green unit does not exist at the moment.

Sadly I probably only have 100-150k feathers left to claim from HM farming, and my merge rate will slow down massively after that. :( Lilina and Nino stuck at +9, Masked Marth and Nowi at +8, Tiki currently +4 but can go to +8, and beyond that I've promised to +10 Cecilia if September is fire month. Otherwise it's between her and perhaps Cordelia (can also go to +8) for the last of my HM feathers.

(I'd love to merge Palla, Oscar and Fae but I have 5 copies at most of any of those. Olivia is borderline, topping out at +6)

Edited by Humanoid

48 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

I like Oscar and don't like Peri though, so it's a rare case of favouritism on my part. Oscar, after all, is just guy Palla. 

Favoritism is a valid point. I have to admit I played with the though of sacrificing Oscar to SA!Cordelia for some time. 

49 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Sadly I probably only have 100-150k feathers left to claim from HM farming, and my merge rate will slow down massively after that. :( Lilina and Nino stuck at +9, Masked Marth and Nowi at +8, Tiki currently +4 but can go to +8, and beyond that I've promised to +10 Cecilia if September is fire month. Otherwise it's between her and perhaps Cordelia (can also go to +8) for the last of my HM feathers.

I know that feeling. Cordelia, Cherche and M!Marth maxed out their merge levels, but I want a red +10 unit. I used a lot of feathers for expensive SI and promotions out of favorism (Takumi, Walhart and Oliver to name a few). Should I wait for Marth to get his final copies, pull red to get two missing Caedas (still +0, but 8 spares lying around), merge a Tiki (probably not) or save all orbs for Roys next banner? 

Can't do all of those things, since feathers are nearly used up. 

4 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

Favoritism is a valid point. I have to admit I played with the though of sacrificing Oscar to SA!Cordelia for some time. 

I know that feeling. Cordelia, Cherche and M!Marth maxed out their merge levels, but I want a red +10 unit. I used a lot of feathers for expensive SI and promotions out of favorism (Takumi, Walhart and Oliver to name a few). Should I wait for Marth to get his final copies, pull red to get two missing Caedas (still +0, but 8 spares lying around), merge a Tiki (probably not) or save all orbs for Roys next banner? 

Can't do all of those things, since feathers are nearly used up. 

Yeah, favouritism wins out this time which is fairly unusual for me, not that I have particularly many Peris anyway. Went ahead and merged most at 4* since I'm certain I won't be building her, would rather Abel or Roderick if Oscar didn't exist. On the other hand, pragmatism was the winner when deciding on Nowi vs Tiki. I much prefer Tiki, but with Lilina and Mask already committed to, it was impossible to justify a third red infantry when I don't even have any other current blue merge.

At any rate, I have colour-balanced infantry merges now (sans a grey unit, I want a Leon merge project but I've pulled two copies ever). So that's why I'm going horse (Cecilia, Oscar) or flier (Cordelia, Palla) instead. Cherche is one of my Awakening favourites but while my team is built around Airzura, it's harder to fit her into the team. Not that she doesn't do an excellent job already at 4*+10.

@Humanoid Good thing about Cherche is she doesn't need a Flier team to work. Mixed teams can give ATK tactic which is perfect for her. Btw: I started to merge mine at 4* and never had problems with her performance. 

If M!Marth didn't come with so many 5* copies for free, I wouldn't have started to merge an Infantry unit. 

Decided I might as well go for Veronica for my neutral, since she's most likely to be in f2p guides. I also went and pulled a Hector (+ Res - Spd, so not bad on the bane and meh on the boon, but neither disastrous). Gonna go for Ephraim just because, but I really don't need him xD

1 minute ago, mampfoid said:

@Humanoid Good thing about Cherche is she doesn't need a Flier team to work. Mixed teams can give ATK tactic which is perfect for her. Btw: I started to merge mine at 4* and never had problems with her performance. 

If M!Marth didn't come with so many 5* copies for free, I wouldn't have started to merge an Infantry unit. 

I do have a Horse Lilina, but being a blade mage makes it awkward as she wants two other horses with her. I do have a single Legault I could fodder off (his nature is awful), as soon as I decide the membership of the mixed team. Trouble is, I was thinking I'd build such a team around Legendary Hector (if I ever manage to get him), so Est would actually be a better fit in this case as the Brave flier.

Lyn and Ike are the other two Attack-boosting legendaries. Lyn might be the pick here since my other fliers are in Earth already. Lyn, Cordelia, Cherche... Mask? I actually already have regular Ike+2 as wind so he can fill in there. Of course, I don't actually have Lyn, but I like the idea of building around the legendaries. Inigo+2 will be a suitable substitute as he's already Wind too. Actually, Reinhardt is Wind. Reinhardt, Cherche, Inigo.... one of Ares, Sigurd, Palla or Caeda?

I'm spending too much time thinking about this when I should be doing my TT runs for the day, hah.