Choose Your Legends 2018 (Arrival of the Brave): August 21 ~

Coolmanio

20 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I feel like they're probably going to be rather conservative for a while. We'll probably get a few other dual Balm+ skills and maybe Heavenly Light+ before they start adding other things.

I think an infinite range single stat debuff is possible, though.

Heavenly Light+ would be a great. It would heal more than Heavenly Light, and maybe have the Restore+ effect (Neutralizes ally's penalties and negative status effects to all allies).

Edited by Diovani Bressan

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Landmaster said:

I still regret not picking Lucina as my freebie~

Same-ish, but with Roy.

Lyn was my free pick, though that was because I'd been wanting a bow horse for some time and I loved her art. Roy was the one I wanted second most because I love cavs, was getting tired of Xander's inability to ORKO anything remotely bulky outside specials, and love the hell out of his art. Now he's the only one I haven't gotten :(

Kind of curious if the same thing is going to happen with Veronica this year. Though I do want her less than I still want Roy.

3 hours ago, bottlegnomes said:

Same-ish, but with Roy.

Lyn was my free pick, though that was because I'd been wanting a bow horse for some time and I loved her art. Roy was the one I wanted second most because I love cavs, was getting tired of Xander's inability to ORKO anything remotely bulky outside specials, and love the hell out of his art. Now he's the only one I haven't gotten :(

Kind of curious if the same thing is going to happen with Veronica this year. Though I do want her less than I still want Roy.

I've yet to get Brave!Roy either. But he keeps sending me 7+ of his regular form >_> 

Nabbed Veronica from the summoning banner! So I can sit on my freebie for a while.

She came out as +Def/-Res. Once again the game refuses to give me +Spd on a unit that wants it. -_-

...I have been juggling an idea. I was one of those people who wrote off the idea of Close Counter Veronica as suicidal, but after recalling the crazy stuff her staff does, I'm beginning to strongly consider it.

eacb684268.png

What I'm thinking is: Veronica can slap someone with her staff for free damage, getting +4 everything for herself and applying -4 everything to the target. Then the now-debuffed target will attack her, fail to kill her because of the buffs, then get doubled by Veronica and die. She can then rush off to heal an ally with Martyr+ thanks to her shot HP and apply Windfire buffs, and Live to Serve will fully heal her in turn. If any enemies survive the Windfire rush, rinse and repeat. Said damaged unit would probably be a Fury tank; ideally it would be someone with Atk/Spd Push, Double Lion or Ragnarok, but I currently have none of those.

Would this be worth doing? Veronica's bulk is trash, it's true, but I feel like the staff effects are the "gotcha", and taking a more active role in the attacking also applies loads of buffs to the team.

6 hours ago, Some Jerk said:

Veronica's bulk is trash

She will have a theoretical 44 Spd, 68 physical bulk, and 60 magical bulk. Tanking optimized Ayra, Nephenee, and Raven is out of the question since they can all reach 49+ Spd, but it is doable if they are not Spd stacked and are are not significantly higher merged than AOTB!Veronica. She should be able to tank most dragons except A!Tiki running a Death Blow build and FV!F!Robin and ASS!Y!Tiki running Spd stacked Flametongue builds.

So from what I can tell after trying my hands on the recent Tactic Drills & watching Brotel's CYL 2 review it feels likes Veronica is the worst of the best with Celica just not being quite as good as the 2 armor units. I thought this would make my decision easier by all it did just made it harder to decided between Hector & Veronica on which one is more salvageable on getting the worst IV's

10 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

So from what I can tell after trying my hands on the recent Tactic Drills & watching Brotel's CYL 2 review it feels likes Veronica is the worst of the best with Celica just not being quite as good as the 2 armor units. I thought this would make my decision easier by all it did just made it harder to decided between Hector & Veronica on which one is more salvageable on getting the worst IV's

Veronica's nature matters a lot less. Even if her combat performance is gimped by her nature, she is still a very potent healer doing mass debuffs.

5 minutes ago, XRay said:

Veronica's nature matters a lot less. Even if her combat performance is gimped by her nature, she is still a very potent healer doing mass debuffs.

I know that, I've seen more than my share that people said Celica is worst of the 4 which I heavily disagree with.

But does that Veronica the most salvageable out of the 4? That's the question I'm asking myself. It feels like I benefit the most if I keep pulling for colorless orbs since I'm looking for Hone SPD 3 & ATK Tactic 3

57 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

I know that, I've seen more than my share that people said Celica is worst of the 4 which I heavily disagree with.

But does that Veronica the most salvageable out of the 4? That's the question I'm asking myself. It feels like I benefit the most if I keep pulling for colorless orbs since I'm looking for Hone SPD 3 & ATK Tactic 3

Just pick whoever you want and is your favourite, i went with Veronica, because i dont give a damn about armored units (besides I allready have a +10 green and blue one) and Red sword users are kinda meh to me.

Veronice brings something totally new to the table for a healer class and i like healers, besides i voted for her so i went with her. Just stop overthinking everything and go with whom you want.

1 hour ago, Zangetsu said:

Just because Celica is regarded as the worst of the four doesn't mean she's bad, not in the slightest. Her biggest problems are that she's Yet Another Nuclear Sword, and that her gimmick requires aid from teammates to use more than once while the other three do not. (Well, Brave Ephraim does if you can't give him a Wave skill or Armored Boots, but that's beside the point.) She'll do her job and do it well, it's just a little frustrating to have to construct a team around it.

As for Veronica, the thing to remember is that while killing things with her is possible and practical, it's not necessary. Her main job is to heal her allies and shower them with buffs, and this is something she can do in spades better than any other healer (and indeed, better than most units in the game). Sothe's Peshkatz is an amazingly underrated weapon, and having its ability on a Staff along with Wrazzledazzle and all of Veronica's other buff skills is incredible. Having a bane in Atk or Spd is unfortunate for any fast unit, but Veronica can still do her job in spite of it. Not a lot of optimization-heavy units can argue that.

If you're really having trouble deciding on who to pull from the free summon, my advice would be to sit on it until you see what you get from the AotB banner; you have two and a half weeks to decide after all. If I were in your shoes and had to decide, I would pick the unit I need more - in my case it would've been Veronica because I've never had a Wrazzledazzle healer before, but having nabbed her from the banner I'm strongly considering freebeeing Celica since I have no nuclear swords and already have a M!Grima and Hardin.

1 hour ago, Hilda said:

Just pick whoever you want and is your favourite, i went with Veronica, because i dont give a damn about armored units (besides I allready have a +10 green and blue one) and Red sword users are kinda meh to me.

Veronice brings something totally new to the table for a healer class and i like healers, besides i voted for her so i went with her. Just stop overthinking everything and go with whom you want.

If it only it were that easy. I'll probably pick Hector since I like him & snipe for Veronica.

1 hour ago, Some Jerk said:

Just because Celica is regarded as the worst of the four doesn't mean she's bad, not in the slightest. Her biggest problems are that she's Yet Another Nuclear Sword, and that her gimmick requires aid from teammates to use more than once while the other three do not. (Well, Brave Ephraim does if you can't give him a Wave skill or Armored Boots, but that's beside the point.) She'll do her job and do it well, it's just a little frustrating to have to construct a team around it.

So when I said "worst of the 4" I mean more along the lines of "worst of the best"

As for Veronica, the thing to remember is that while killing things with her is possible and practical, it's not necessary. Her main job is to heal her allies and shower them with buffs, and this is something she can do in spades better than any other healer (and indeed, better than most units in the game). Sothe's Peshkatz is an amazingly underrated weapon, and having its ability on a Staff along with Wrazzledazzle and all of Veronica's other buff skills is incredible. Having a bane in Atk or Spd is unfortunate for any fast unit, but Veronica can still do her job in spite of it. Not a lot of optimization-heavy units can argue that.

I'm aware of this, I'm trying weigh in my options, but it does help hearing a 4th time.

If you're really having trouble deciding on who to pull from the free summon, my advice would be to sit on it until you see what you get from the AotB banner; you have two and a half weeks to decide after all. If I were in your shoes and had to decide, I would pick the unit I need more - in my case it would've been Veronica because I've never had a Wrazzledazzle healer before, but having nabbed her from the banner I'm strongly considering freebeeing Celica since I have no nuclear swords and already have a M!Grima and Hardin.

I'm trying to make sure I don't regret my decision. Choosing Hector should be alot more easier than this.

31 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Getting to play around with them in the Tactics Drill before choosing which to summon or go for was a genius idea on IS' part.

I agree, even if it doesn't truly do the units justice it at least gives a good idea on what they're capable of.

I accidentally placed a can of Pepsi on my phone and to my great surprised it caused me to enter the free summon banner. Can't back out of that selection, so I was forced to choose Hector. Probably just as well, I was almost certain to just summon him in a couple of weeks time anyway, was just holding off on the 1% chance that I'd use any more orbs on CYL2. Now I'm 100% certain I won't.

I suppose it's lucky it didn't enter me into a different banner that cost orbs, or automatically pick Celica for me, but it's kinda freaky that the exact input from the can somehow got me to the summon menu and then hit the summon button...

That's it. I'm done with this banner. Got my fourth off focus 5* unit. FOURTH one. ~400 orbs spent and no focus unit. Is this what crushing defeat feels like? I'm just glad this is over so I can go back to saving orbs for pulling Red Tome Valor in December. 

Edited by tobuShogi

1 hour ago, Humanoid said:

I accidentally placed a can of Pepsi on my phone

Try beer. Beer never summoned for me. 

1 hour ago, Humanoid said:

I suppose it's lucky it didn't enter me into a different banner that cost orbs,

There are also the send home, merge and SI dialogs. I know fav hearts protect, but also they can be unselected by a tricky softdrink. 

1 hour ago, tobuShogi said:

Got my fourth off focus 5* unit.

Ouch, I feel you. This typically happens on summer banners for me. Or legendary banners (no off-focus here, but 4 wrong units of desired color hurt the same). 

There are ways to make Celica self-sustaining. They're costly, not 100% reliable (though not too bad from hat I've seen), and do hurt her performance some, but they're doable and not completely impractical. That said, I don't think there's ever been a unit that made me want a renewal seal more.

Anyway, trying to decide if it's worth pressing my luck on this banner to try for Veronica, especially if a FE4 gen 1 banner is coming. I'd slap a child for Quan provided he was halfway decent and, more importantly, his art was good.

Edited by bottlegnomes

6 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:

There are ways to make Celica self-sustaining. They're costly, not 100% reliable (though not too bad from hat I've seen), and do hurt her performance some, but they're doable and not completely impractical.

Anyway, trying to decide if it's worth pressing my luck on this banner to try for Veronica, especially if a FE4 gen 1 banner is coming. I'd slap a child for Quan provided he was halfway decent and, more importantly, his art was good.

What are they? You can't give her renewal, as she'd lose access to Double Lion then. The only other option would be a health recovering special like Aether, but chances are she'll active that when she attacks, meaning the health restore will come before the post combat damage that stops her using Double Lion again. Sure she probably can activate it again, but you're looking at another player phase to charge it where Double Lion won't activate, meaning she can only do it every second turn, and that's provided she can heal more than her enemies can damage. Honestly, I really wish there was a skill that acted like the inverse of Ardent Sacrifice, one where you siphon 10HP off an ally, that would be really useful on units that need to keep their HP high to activate skills.

5 minutes ago, Jotari said:

What are they? You can't give her renewal, as she'd lose access to Double Lion then. The only other option would be a health recovering special like Aether, but chances are she'll active that when she attacks, meaning the health restore will come before the post combat damage that stops her using Double Lion again. Sure she probably can activate it again, but you're looking at another player phase to charge it where Double Lion won't activate, meaning she can only do it every second turn, and that's provided she can heal more than her enemies can damage. Honestly, I really wish there was a skill that acted like the inverse of Ardent Sacrifice, one where you siphon 10HP off an ally, that would be really useful on units that need to keep their HP high to activate skills.

Two ways that are semi-reliable are slaying edge, aether, flashing blade, or royal sword, aether, QP. Later is better for short matches while longer performs a little worse but should be more sustainable. General flow is:

Turn 1: 4 charges on aether. Double lion kill an eey and charge aether full but don't activate.

Turn 2: aether nuke an enemy and heal (having run it through a lot of sims, she actually does OHKO a decent number of enemies with it)

Turn 3: Repeat. This is where QP falters. It breaks since aether is now 5 charge.

Like I said, not the most reliable, but it should be feasible. I still need to get the SI and SP built up to actually play around with it, but from what sims I've run (Celica +0, enemies +5, fury overwrite, +3 across the board buffs), it works more often than not and nets her ~200ish kills on turn 1, 150ish on turn 2. Obviously don't put her up against tanks on turn 2, and she really wants an attack boon, but neutral worked fairly well.

One that I haven't looked into yet is firesweep and something. In that case, she might be able to trade the seal for a stat boost and run daylight or Sol. Then she can attack with impunity and just let it charge up since she's probably doubling anyway. She might want +spd for this build.

But yeah, just bringing a healer or a renewal seal would be way more reliable. I was just very intent on figuring out a way to make her at least somewhat self-sustaining.

46 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:

But yeah, just bringing a healer or a renewal seal would be way more reliable. I was just very intent on figuring out a way to make her at least somewhat self-sustaining.

If they would release a dancer with a dance passive that heals (Life dance? Heal dance?)... A unit like this would be invaluable in a Celica/Alm emblem. 

Also Breath of Life helps, but it's very situational. It would be cool if breath of Life triggered while using an assist. 

Edited by mampfoid

3 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

Also if they would release a dancer with a dance passive that heals (Life dance? Heal dance?). A unit like this would be invaluable in a Celica/Alm emblem. 

Also Breath of Life helps, but it's very situational. It would be cool if breath of Life triggered while using an assist. 

That'd be a dream come true. It's be hilarious if it were a red dancer so I could build my all red Alm/Celica/Celica/dancer dream team. Wait... What if it's Alm and he's a red bow dancer Legendary Hero :D

But yeah, that is one great thing about Heroes. There are enough tools that you can make basically anything work. Some are easier or have higher payoff, but everything can work quite well.

Well so far this banner is denying me. I suppose this is the price I pay for getting my two dancers relatively painlessly. Up to 4 nearly 4.25 pity. Which ain't too terrible, but I was kinda hoping to narrow down my free choice a bit by now. Ended up picking Brave Lyn last time and she ended up being the one I got multiple of. Though to be fair I ended up sticking with neutral so I suppose it wasn't all bad. Still colorless is my desired color at the moment since I really need some ATK tactic and Veronica is the one I want most. So I was hoping to get her by now to see if neutral would be preferable. And I STILL have not seen hide nor hair of Legault! Does he even exist?!

I kinda wish Celica was a red armor or that Hector was since I figure 3 armors would be a bit much and given her design armor would be an odd choice. We could use some more red armor choices.

I'm using Celica and she seems to be pretty good at killing things. To the extent that I think a -Atk nature might be good for her. I find she only usually gets two attacks in before most enemies die, when I want her to attack four times so she can activate Galeforce and attack again. As cool as Death Blow 4 is, I might swap it out for Swift Sparrow so she definitely doubles everything (not that she needs much help doing that with almost 40 base speed) or maybe even Fortress Defense to increase her bulk and make sure she gets the full four attacks off.

On 8/24/2018 at 3:55 PM, Usana said:

And I STILL have not seen hide nor hair of Legault! Does he even exist?!

Having pulled just about every 4* colourless while going for Dancing Xander, I can confirm that Legault is actually a myth. I now believe that anyone who claims to have him is just photoshopping him in >.<

Good luck with your pulls :) 

6 hours ago, Jotari said:

I'm using Celica and she seems to be pretty good at killing things. To the extent that I think a -Atk nature might be good for her. I find she only usually gets two attacks in before most enemies die, when I want her to attack four times so she can activate Galeforce and attack again. As cool as Death Blow 4 is, I might swap it out for Swift Sparrow so she definitely doubles everything (not that she needs much help doing that with almost 40 base speed) or maybe even Fortress Defense to increase her bulk and make sure she gets the full four attacks off.

Heavy Blade in the S slot?

IMO Celica doesn't want to be hit in return.  I think she'd work with Aether, so she can take a hit if necessary, but I don't have a lot of confidence in her ability to tank.

9 minutes ago, Cute Chao said:

Having pulled just about every 4* colourless while going for Dancing Xander, I can confirm that Legault is actually a myth. I now believe that anyone who claims to have him is just photoshopping him in >.<

Good luck with your pulls :) 

Good luck to you guys WRT Legault.  I finally got him. . .at -Atk.

Edited by eclipse